Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 1 of 2 1 2
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
By Lieutenant Colonel Paul Edgar, U.S. Army (Ret.),

I was fortunate to be a part of an incredible team that planned and managed operations to find Sergeant Bowe Bergdahl following his disappearance. When people learn this, they promptly ask about my feelings towards Sergeant Bergdahl, the President, and many others in between. Usually I avoid answering. Often I want to reply, "It's a war. What did you expect?" Sergeant Bergdahl's buddies have room to criticize. They worked their assess off to find him. The rest of us ought to think more broadly.

A new soldier's path to combat and back is paved with dissonance: the first scream of a drill sergeant; the jarring awkwardness of the first firefight; the return home to a life that is not quite right, at least not for a while. It will not be a surprise if the Army's investigation reveals that Sergeant Bergdahl was disenchanted and left Outpost Mest intentionally. The surprise is our shock that an American soldier navigating this dissonance could do something disappointing.

Our best war fiction reminds us that even the good wars produce more confusion and disenchantment than Medals of Honor. Kurt Vonnegut's Billy Pilgrim was captured by aliens. Joseph Heller's Captain Yossarian had the unsettling epiphany that, "If he flew more missions he was crazy and didn't have to; but if he didn't want to he was sane and had to." M*A*S*H's Corporal Max Klinger wore a skirt and heels. The American experience in Iraq and Afghanistan has yet to produce its definitive art. But the first wave includes David Abram's Fobbit. In Fobbit, the protagonist Staff Sergeant Gooding was last seen running away from his outpost without his combat equipment. Sound familiar?

If war fiction is not convincing, consider the dissonance of true war stories. In one of his autobiographical passages, author Tim O'Brien describes how a close friend died arbitrarily in Vietnam, ignominiously in a field of watery feces. I can connect a recent murder-suicide to an absurd mission that occurred in Iraq during the surge. The mission, generated by enthusiasm and not intellect, cost one soldier his life, cost another his sanity, and cost the insurgents a few watermelons. Our war fiction merely communicates a reality that many soldiers cannot or will not.

Usually, soldiers experiencing dissonance do not desert or murder. They express themselves in other ways. In the very best cases, dark and sardonic humor provides an outlet. Regrettably, others express themselves through less benign activities like motorcycle accidents, self-medication, and divorce.

The Army has made progress recognizing and addressing combat-related dissonance in every stage of a soldier's road to war and back. Our general public, too, has improved its relationship with and reception of soldiers. Yet despite the resourcing, effort, and meaningful sentiment, I suspect that most soldiers still overcome dissonance the old fashion way. They grit their teeth and get up in the morning, relying on willpower rather than lessons from resilience training.

However, neither grit nor resilience training will change the fact that war is a dissonant experience that produces disillusioned youth. As we catch our breath and sort through the aftermath of the last thirteen years, we are relearning that even sophisticated war carries heavy baggage: disastrous misreads of the local environment; missions gone tragically awry; and tax dollars scampering like cats. Add disillusioned youth to the list. At our very best we may reduce occurrences, but we will never stop them. The case of Sergeant Bergdahl, generally speaking, was predictable.

That is why I am disappointed when I read self-serving comments like those of Senator Joe Manchin, one of the first to posture himself publicly, "I think we can all agree we're not dealing with a war hero here." Perhaps that is true. Even so, it is not a statement worthy of senior public servants whom we expect to appreciate the nature and toll of war. Most of us, including Senator Manchin, voiced an opinion in favor of war after 9/11. In doing so, we also voted for a measure of disillusioned youth.

The Army is capable of investigating and making a reasonable decision regarding the actions of a twenty-eight year-old sergeant. It does not need our advice. Our effort is better spent preparing for the next decision to go to war. When we make that decision, will we have remembered war's derivative baggage? Is the next fight worth mismanaged money, broken families, forgotten and disabled veterans, an armful of American-caused atrocities, and any number of disillusioned youth? Perhaps it will be. Some of them are. In any case, we should make the decision with our eyes wide open.

For many reasons, our minds are quick to reconstruct the fa�ade that war is all glory and that our soldiers, to the man, are Achilles. A formidable part of the human psyche refuses to see and remember war as it is. This self-righteous fa�ade of war is what motivates many of the reactions against Sergeant Bergdahl. Think soberly. If we do not want responsibility for the derivative baggage of war, don't go to war. If we are not willing to bear corporate responsibility for the next Sergeant Bowe Bergdahl, don't send him.

Paul Edgar is a retired Army lieutenant colonel. He commanded 4thBattalion, 3rd U.S. Infantry from 2011-2013. He has worked in Iraq, Afghanistan, Jordan, and Israel. He currently is pursuing a Ph.D. in Middle East studies at the University of Texas.

Originally Posted by jorgeI
...Actually Sycamore, you are sort of right....
GB1

Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger

Last edited by Sycamore; 09/20/15. Reason: add link

C
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
C
There are alternatives to desertion and aiding the enemy.

Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
Agreed, and to PTSD, and mental illness and to suicide.

I think the colonel is asking the public at large to consider ALL the costs of war.

Sycamore

L
las Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
L
Originally Posted by CrowRifle
There are alternatives to desertion and aiding the enemy.

And Kerry proves it. Or at least is getting away with it.

The only true cost of having a dog is its death.

IC B2

D
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
D
Interesting commentary. Thanks for sharing that.

"I'm gonna have to science the schit out of this." Mark Watney, Sol 59, Mars
Campfire Kahuna
Online Content
Campfire Kahuna
If no other men died looking for him it might apply. As it stands good men died looking for his worthless ass, .45 to the temple is what he's earned.

Paul

"I'd rather see a sermon than hear a sermon".... D.A.D.

Trump Won!, Sandmann Won!, Rittenhouse Won!, Suck it Liberal Fuuktards.

molɔ̀ːn labé skýla

E
Campfire Oracle
Online Content
Campfire Oracle
E
He should get life in front of a firing squad.

Life Member SCI
Life Member DSC
Member New Mexico Shooting Sports Association

Take your responsibilities seriously, never yourself-Ken Howell

Proper bullet placement + sufficient penetration = quick, clean kill. Finn Aagard

Ken
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by Sycamore

I think the colonel is asking the public at large to consider ALL the costs of war.

Sycamore

F'k him, the LTC, and the leftist/defeatist SOB who fall for this schit.

Bergdahl should be hung for desertion and the deaths of those that looked for him. The LTC tried for aiding and abetting the enemy, and those that support this schit for utter stupidity and baseline treason.

Originally Posted by Mannlicher
America needs to understand that our troops are not 'disposable'. Each represents a family; Fathers, Mothers, Sons, Daughters, Cousins, Uncles, Aunts... Our Citizens are our most valuable treasure; we waste far too many.
R
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
R
instead of going off on his stupid fuggen little hippy walk, he could have refused to perform his duties and faced the consequences. i served in peace time with guys who did just that. ya that would have sucked badly, but if he really didn't want to be there, he could have paid the price to get out and not endangered so many others. he fugged up and as anyone who has worn the uniform for more than a few months knows, the UCMJ ain't nothing to fugg with. he needs to face the music for it or it sets a bad precedent.

My diploma is a DD214
IC B3

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by rem141r
instead of going off on his stupid fuggen little hippy walk, he could have refused to perform his duties and faced the consequences. i served in peace time with guys who did just that. ya that would have sucked badly, but if he really didn't want to be there, he could have paid the price to get out and not endangered so many others. he fugged up and as anyone who has worn the uniform for more than a few months knows, the UCMJ ain't nothing to fugg with. he needs to face the music for it or it sets a bad precedent.

Sycamore and the PosUS want the bad precedent, and for the same reasons.

Originally Posted by Mannlicher
America needs to understand that our troops are not 'disposable'. Each represents a family; Fathers, Mothers, Sons, Daughters, Cousins, Uncles, Aunts... Our Citizens are our most valuable treasure; we waste far too many.
Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
He'll get pardoned in the end. Prosecute the hell out of him and in 16 months Mr. O is gonna let him walk. Plan on it.

kwg

For liberals and anarchists, power and control is opium, selling envy is the fastest and easiest way to get it. TRR. American conservative. Never trust a white liberal. Malcom X Current NRA member.
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
This no account son of a shoat needs a short rope and a long drop. Then feed his carcass to the hogs or stake him out as buzzard and coyote bait.

Member: Clan of the Turdlike People.

Courage is Fear that has said its Prayers

�If we ever forget that we are one nation under God, then we will be a nation gone under.� Ronald Reagan.

Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
It's funny his father is quoting the Quaran in the Rose Garden and he is aiding the enemy. Phug him and his family!

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
He's not going to get any jail time.

Extenuating circumstances excuse will be used.

MM

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
I'd feel better reading a commentary from a guy that commanded a battalion in combat, rather than a ceremonial unit. What do the NCO's think?

Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
I was in Afghanistan when he walked away. (civilian contractor) We heard the report he was gone but in a day or 2 we knew it was voluntary. There were some upset people but no one figured he would live through it. He had to get along good with his captors in order for him to survive.

kwg

For liberals and anarchists, power and control is opium, selling envy is the fastest and easiest way to get it. TRR. American conservative. Never trust a white liberal. Malcom X Current NRA member.
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
Yeah he looked like he was going to cry when they picked him up from his captors.

Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by 4ager
Originally Posted by Sycamore

Sycamore

F'k him, the LTC, and the leftist/defeatist SOB who fall for this schit.

Bergdahl should be hung for desertion and the deaths of those that looked for him. The LTC tried for aiding and abetting the enemy, and those that support this schit for utter stupidity and baseline treason.

kind of ironic, compared to your signature, don't you think?

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter

Originally Posted by kwg020
I was in Afghanistan when he walked away. (civilian contractor) We heard the report he was gone but in a day or 2 we knew it was voluntary. There were some upset people but no one figured he would live through it. He had to get along good with his captors in order for him to survive.

kwg

I suspect the term "captors" is not totally accurate here, unless speaking of the US soldiers that dragged his sorry ass back into US custody?

Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

527 members (1lessdog, 10gaugemag, 007FJ, 17CalFan, 12344mag, 16penny, 63 invisible), 2,445 guests, and 1,273 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,441
Posts18,470,899
Members73,931
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.