Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 2 of 3 1 2 3
D
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
D
Yeah, my hunting bud was wondering if we had messed up, building the 26 Noslers. I told him I didn't think so, these are going to be good LR rifles. We just need to find the right loads for what we're gunning for. He killed a NM Pronghorn at 450 yds. in August with his .270, holding for two feet of drop. The 26 should be easier to use for such shots.

For our hunting, most shots less than 200 yds, a std. round works great. He loves his .270 Sendero, naming it E. F. Hutton, as in "when E. F. speaks"... smile

Stuff usually dies... cool

DF

GB1

B
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
B
I know the bullets like the Swift A-Frames and Northforks seem to retain their frontal area better than most with hard impacts. While not the highest in BC, the 140 Swift A-Frame might be a little better in the 26 Nosler since it would hold onto more of the frontal area and help with making bigger wound channels. Not saying they are infallible, as I am sure some folks have some negatives on them as well.

What about a Nosler E-Tip? Those seem to have a broad frontal area when driven hard and retain it well. That might be something in the 26 Nosler since it has pretty decent BC as well.

Great info DF. It is tough being a looney someday with all of these choices...

Semper Fi
B
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
B
Originally Posted by BobinNH
Scotty: Interesting to compare tat bullet to the one's recovered from Matt's elk. I recall they seem to have had more frontal area left,even though, given the different starting velocity (3050-300 Weatherby vs 300 RUM 3200)the impact velocities were roughly the same,both a bit over 2300 fps if I read the tables right (400 vs 530 yards).

But the thing that's different is the rpm's being higher with the 300 RUM and I wonder out loud if that causes the difference in the expansion and what's left of the bullet.Tough to tell from a sample of three...

Doesn't matter really as your bullet resembles an expanded Partition and that ain't a bad place to be. smile

This was pulled from the ball socket the scapula rides on, on another spike elk. 300 Win Mag, 150-175 yards, 180 PT. I would have almost best money this bullet would have flown right on through, since it didn't hit much of anything on the near side.

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[img]http://i723.photobucket.com/al...-A6E4-AC165AD6B47E_zps173vzspr.jpg[/img]

Not much left of the bullet, the rear core went somewhere else, most of the frontal area is gone, but the bullet worked as it was supposed to and the elk went no where. I almost wouldn't beleive it was a 180 PT if I didn't know the shooter, but I skinned, quartered and butchered the elk, so there you have it. Bullets do funny things sometimes...

Semper Fi
D
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
D
Thanks for all the insights

D
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
D
Originally Posted by beretzs

What about a Nosler E-Tip? Those seem to have a broad frontal area when driven hard and retain it well. That might be something in the 26 Nosler since it has pretty decent BC as well.

Great info DF. It is tough being a looney someday with all of these choices...

I picked up a box of blem 120 E-tip rounds from Nosler Pro Shop. So, I have 20 rounds to see how they shoot and maybe bust a WT. IIRC, 120 gr. E-tips grouped pretty well in JB's study/articles.

Could be an interesting option.

DF

IC B2

M
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
M
Depends on the rifle. Usually they shoot really well, but once in a while a rifle just hates 'em, a lot like Barnes X-Bullets used to be before they put grooves in 'em.

“Montana seems to me to be what a small boy would think Texas is like from hearing Texans.”
John Steinbeck
D
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
D
It will be interesting to see how these E-Tips shoot. Both rifles have 26" #2 Shilen Match tubes, are glassed and free floated. His was already glassed, so I just free floated the barrel. I pillared and glassed mine.

At first, groups weren't that impressive, but after "shooting in", mine went 1/2" (five shots) with 140 NAB's at 3,300 or so fps at a hundred. The other one seemed to like 130's, but hasn't been shot as much as mine. Both were DB Coated and fouled at first, but after a Wipe Out cleaning and several more rounds, I don't see copper fouling thru the Hawkeye.

So, I'm hopeful 120 E-Tips will group OK and maybe we'll get a chance to test terminal performance.

DF

B
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
B
DF, I'd love to see that 26 Nosler would do with the 120 ET. I'd imagine you could drive that thing at 3400 or so, and man, not sure of the twist on your barrels, but I would have to think it would be fearsome...

Please post up your results when you do try them. Heard great things about the 130 ET out of the 270WSM and Weatherby.

It's ashame theirs no Bitteroots for your 26 Nosler, pretty sure that would hold the frontal area...

MD, have you noted any difference with the new ET's since they have added a groove in the front of them?

Semper Fi
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
They have a groove now? I like the E-Tips in .25cal, as they are one of the sleeker offerings in that caliber and they penetrate very well on medium game.

Regarding the LRAB/AB discussion, I can only say that I've had fantastic results with the standard AB when muzzle velocities were 2,900fps or lower. Good penetration and trauma, but not much in the way of explosiveness. The 130gr 6.5mm and the 160gr 7mm versions have shown me nothing but good things.

Now with even more aplomb
M
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
M
beretz,

The twist in 26 Nosler rifle barrels is 1-8.

I've seen references to the groove in E-Tips but can only guess that somebody got some seconds from the Pro Shop with crimping grooves. Have never seen a groove on any of the E-Tips I've obtained.

“Montana seems to me to be what a small boy would think Texas is like from hearing Texans.”
John Steinbeck
IC B3

B
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
B
Originally Posted by beretzs
Originally Posted by BobinNH
Scotty: Interesting to compare tat bullet to the one's recovered from Matt's elk. I recall they seem to have had more frontal area left,even though, given the different starting velocity (3050-300 Weatherby vs 300 RUM 3200)the impact velocities were roughly the same,both a bit over 2300 fps if I read the tables right (400 vs 530 yards).

But the thing that's different is the rpm's being higher with the 300 RUM and I wonder out loud if that causes the difference in the expansion and what's left of the bullet.Tough to tell from a sample of three...

Doesn't matter really as your bullet resembles an expanded Partition and that ain't a bad place to be. smile

This was pulled from the ball socket the scapula rides on, on another spike elk. 300 Win Mag, 150-175 yards, 180 PT. I would have almost best money this bullet would have flown right on through, since it didn't hit much of anything on the near side.

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[img]http://i723.photobucket.com/al...-A6E4-AC165AD6B47E_zps173vzspr.jpg[/img]

Not much left of the bullet, the rear core went somewhere else, most of the frontal area is gone, but the bullet worked as it was supposed to and the elk went no where. I almost wouldn't beleive it was a 180 PT if I didn't know the shooter, but I skinned, quartered and butchered the elk, so there you have it. Bullets do funny things sometimes...

Scotty looks to me like it was running out of "poop" since it was at the end of the wound channel.

The 280 Remington is overbore.

The 7 Rem Mag is over bore.
M
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
M
They do tend to slow down after penetrating a ways. In fact I've found one bullet that slit the skin on the far side of a deer, but didn't have enough zip left to make it out of the hole. And that was a 360-grain .416 Woodleigh Weldcore. But it was a severely angling shot....

John Steinbeck
C
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
C
Wow Muledeer, those Whitetail get tougher every year. whistle

"Camping places fix themselves in your mind as if you had spent long periods of your life in them.
You will remember a curve of your wagon track in the grass of the plain like the features of a friend."
Isak Dinesen

M
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
M
Wasn't a whitetail. It was a fallow deer doe that weighed maybe 100 pounds, and I didn't shoot it. The killer was another gun writer, shot used the .416 purely in the interests of science.

John Steinbeck
F
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
F
There's nothing magical about terminal ballistics or what bullets do in tissue fellas.

How quickly a bullet kills has everything to do with what the bullet hits and how big the wound channel is, and absolutely nothing to do with what it looks like after the fact. It's a credit to western marketing and human gullibility that so many worry more about how pretty a bullet is after it's taken a life rather than how it actually performed it's job.

DF,

As has been stated, at those speeds the front portion is tearing off leaving just the base to exit. The Accubond's are not "too hard" for deer. Look at the entire wound channel to see the story.

D
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
D
Originally Posted by Formidilosus

DF,

As has been stated, at those speeds the front portion is tearing off leaving just the base to exit. The Accubond's are not "too hard" for deer. Look at the entire wound channel to see the story.

That makes sense, as there was tissue damage between the small entrance and exit wounds.

Seems to me, there is more blood flow from entrance/exit wounds when the projectile is fired at 2,800 fps or so, vs. 3,400 fps. I guess hyper vel hits cause tissue shock and trauma such that wounds don't bleed as freely as from lower velocity hits.

I saw this with the .240, shooting an 80 gr. TTSX at 3,600 fps. Lots of blood shot tissue, not much bleeding.

Hyper vel does seem to create its own set of bullet choice/bullet performance issues.

DF

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Seems like I almost always get good blood trails with cup/cores or bondeds at MVs under 2,900fps or so. You guys are likely right that it is because the bullet still has a decent frontal area when it exits. Holes on rib shots that are quarter to half-dollar size will generally leak a lot. Medium-weight versions of Interlocks, Gamekings, Speer Boattails, Ballistic Tips, and Accubonds from moderate capacity .26-.30cal chamberings will "knock a good hole" on lungs most of the time.

D
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
D
You know, for LR, I see the merits of high vel rounds. For our kinda local hunting, I'm not so sure.

Like the 80 gr. .240 at 3,600 fps. It's really not a LR round because that little bullet loses knock down at extended ranges, doesn't hold velocity and KE well enough to be a LR contender for deer sized animals. Smaller critters, maybe so.

The 26 Nosler with 140 NAB's, 142 and 150 Matrix VLD's, 140 Berger VLD's, etc. should be a good LR round with fairly adequate wallop way down range.

I don't think these hyper vel rounds offer much over std. rounds for 200 yd. and under everyday deer hunting. And, bullet selection isn't that critical; most any good C&C projectile will do the job at 2,800 or so fps.

Learning as I go; that's my current thinking on the subject. As always, appreciate input.

DF

Last edited by Dirtfarmer; 11/26/14.
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Honestly, 400-500yds is "long range" around here, but shots do sometimes present themselves. Even so, I'll generally carry something that offers good retained velocity and lower wind drift when I hunt areas that may offer those kinds of shots. As you say, speed is nice, but not necessarily if that speed bleeds off rapidly. JBM software can be an eye opener and can help identify the merits of one bullet/chambering combo versus another regarding ballistics. Since the modern laser rangefinder came along, roasting stubby bullets at warp speed has lost a lot of appeal in nearly every department.

Campfire Member
Campfire Member
Originally Posted by Dirtfarmer
You know, for LR, I see the merits of high vel rounds. For our kinda local hunting, I'm not so sure.

Like the 80 gr. .240 at 3,600 fps. It's really not a LR round because that little bullet loses knock down at extended ranges, doesn't hold velocity and KE well enough to be a LR contender for deer sized animals. Smaller critters, maybe so.

The 26 Nosler with 140 NAB's, 142 and 150 Matrix VLD's, 140 Berger VLD's, etc. should be a good LR round with fairly adequate wallop way down range.

I don't think these hyper vel rounds offer much over std. rounds for 200 yd. and under everyday deer hunting. And, bullet selection isn't that critical; most any good C&C projectile will do the job at 2,800 or so fps.

Learning as I go; that's my current thinking on the subject. As always, appreciate input.

DF

I think that's pretty valid.

Interestingly I've settled on AB's as a got to for several rifles from 110 grain in my .257 Weatherby at approximately 3400 up to 200 grain in .338 around 2800.

All have performed very, very well, as a matter of fact I don't remember any animals moving much after shooting them, but the terminal performance is never the same based on speed, distance, and angle of shot.

Essentially, stating the obvious that external factors obviously influence terminal performance. But I've been happy with AB's because they consistently give me great results with a broad spectrum of variables.

Page 2 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

503 members (10gaugemag, 10ring1, 11point, 16penny, 10gaugeman, 160user, 64 invisible), 2,765 guests, and 1,290 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,385
Posts18,469,625
Members73,931
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.