Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
T
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
T
. . . . . . . . encourage scripture memorization?

. . . . . . . . practice sdcripture memorization as a group?

Psalm 119:11 "Thy word have I hid in my heart that I might not sin against thee."

Psalms 119:9 "Wherewithal shall a young man cleanse his way? by taking heed thereto according to thy word."

Psalms 119:49 "Remember the word unto thy servant, upon which thou hast caused me to hope."

Romans 12:1-2 says we are to be transformed by the renewing of our minds that we may prove the good, acceptable and perfect will of God. Our minds need to be renewed by the B-I-B-L-E -- yes, that's the book for me!

"Keep thy heart with all diligence; for out of it are the issues of life." (Prov 4:23)

Brother Keith

GB1

T
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
T
Or do you just do it personally?

Just wondering.

"Keep thy heart with all diligence; for out of it are the issues of life." (Prov 4:23)

Brother Keith

R
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
R
We do encourage reading and knowing scripture. I think it is a vital part of a Christian's life. I also think we have to guard against a work mentality, thinking that we are earning points with God, and against a prideful attitude that we are learning so much and doing so well.

Maybe it's just something that I struggle with but I have to keep me small and Jesus large. It's easy for me to start thanking God for all he has done for me, all the while being proud that I'm not the same man I was, instead of thanking him for his sacrifice for my sins, with all the emphases on him, rather than on me.

T
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
T
So memorize the word to give him the glory then. It ain't works if he told you to do it, and you are obeying because you love him for what he has done! Works is "no more grace" -- Romans 11:6 "Grace is no more works" -- same passage.

I hide the word in my heart to help me get the victory God has promised, the way he promised it. It AIN'T so I can say I have XXX verses of scripture memorized. I don't memorize it anyway -- memorising is in the head. I hide it in my heart -- make it mine. It takes time, but I find it helpful to my walk with the Lord.

PS--your works mentality does not hold water, because if we do what he told us to do, we are still unprofitable servants -- Luke 17:10. You don't earn points with God if he sees your "duty" as unprofitable.

When your kids do as they are told, do you accuse them of trying to earn points with you and their mother? I certainly hope not. blush

Last edited by the_shootist; 11/24/14.

Brother Keith

R
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
R
I didn't say that we shouldn't memorize scripture. I said that it's just as important to guard against being prideful about it , as it is to memorize it. Only you and God get to decide if you're prideful or not.

IC B2

Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
When I attended church memorization was not mentioned. Never the less I decided to memorize Titus. It contains 46 verses. It took a lot of my Bible time so I didn't memorize any more. I merely spent hours everyday reading God's Word. It is a part of me. I think the_shootist hit the nail on the head when he said or alluded to, "Your Word I hid in my heart so I don't sin against You."

"Only Christ is the fullness of God's revelation."
Everyday Hunter
T
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
T
It ain't about pride. I have no idea how many verses of scripture I have tucked away in my heart, but I know they can come out sometimes at the most opportune times, during witnessing, during preaching and teaching, and just in general conversation -- NOT to be puffed up with pride, but just to give the Lord a little say in the day to day, hour to hour steps of my life.

Same as Bible reading -- hugely important part of a man's walk with his God, but a long time ago, I quit keeping track of how many times I had read through the Bible from cover to cover. I could guess, but there is no need to keep track of it. My wife reads through her Bible once a year every year for the last number of years, and she says she has no idea what the count is, nor does she care to know. Why would you?

One of my daughters who is 27 years old and the mother of three busy kids ages 5, 3, and 8 months, has read her Bible through at least once, and as often as 4 times a year since she could read much, say at 8 years old. The other daughter reads hers through about once a year as well. All three women have a good walk with God, which I attribute to the word of God and prayer.

I don't know anyone with a decent walk with the Lord that doesn't have a prayer life and spends some time in the word -- consistently. And most of the folks I know that lag in their Christian life have fallen down in the areas of prayer and Bible reading.

Just some observations that I have made in 32 years as a Christian, 13 years of Pastoring full time, and a bunch more years as an itinerent (NOT INTERNET) preacher and Sunday School teacher.

Brother Keith

R
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
R
I wasn't challenging or accusing you.

T
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
T
The Lord Jesus Christ escaped the temptation in the wilderness by quoting scripture -- IT IS WRITTEN --three times. Seems to me he left me a pattern for escaping and bearing temptation right there. (1Cor 10:13) Hide some scripture in your heart that kicks your archenemy the devil, when it comes to your besetting sin(s).

Brother Keith

Campfire Kahuna
Online Content
Campfire Kahuna
One pitfall of scripture memorization is learning things out of context. Too often I've heard someone quote a verse out of context and totally change the meaning. Many verses can be memorized as stand alone scripture but many can't.

“In a time of deceit telling the truth is a revolutionary act.”
― George Orwell

It's not over when you lose. It's over when you quit.
IC B3

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
I quit memorizing when I realized that I couldn't remember what I had just memorized.

The Mayans had it right. If you�re going to predict the future, it�s best to aim far beyond your life expectancy, lest you wind up red-faced in a bunker overstocked with Spam and ammo.

T
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
T
I had an old friend who is passed on now, but he memorized tons of scripture ..... Often whole chapters and books. He died at 96, and went out with the high praise of God in his heart and some verses of encouragement to his family and friends gathered around him. It was a large part of his life.

He was a humble a man as I have ever met, and really had the joy of the Lord.

Brother Keith

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

657 members (160user, 10gaugeman, 01Foreman400, 10ring1, 10gaugemag, 1badf350, 67 invisible), 3,402 guests, and 1,331 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,374
Posts18,469,379
Members73,931
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.