-->
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
John B, have you had a chance to evaluate these binoculars? I lost my Pentax WCF WP binoculars and am looking close at the Zeiss. I am hoping for a major upgrade. Thoughts on the Zeiss Conquest HD 10x42?

Faith and love of others knows no mileage nor bounds. That's simply the way it is.
dogzapper

After the game is over, the king and the pawn go into the same box.
Italian Proverb

GB1

M
Campfire Kahuna
Online Content
Campfire Kahuna
M
The Conquest HD's are good glass, but in my experience won't be a major upgrade from your Pentax, if any. One of the continuing trends in optics is not nearly as much difference as there used to be in optical quality at different prices.

“Montana seems to me to be what a small boy would think Texas is like from hearing Texans.”
John Steinbeck
B
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
B
MD, I am currently in the market for bino's as well. How do the Meopta Meostar 10x42's compare to the Pentax, Zeiss HD's and other similar bino's in that price range?

Sorry for the derailment on this, but it's tough to pick a pair of bino's these days with so many choices.

Semper Fi
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
Very tough! Thanks john. I keep hoping I will find my Pentax, but it's looking bleak.

Faith and love of others knows no mileage nor bounds. That's simply the way it is.
dogzapper

Italian Proverb

M
Campfire Kahuna
Online Content
Campfire Kahuna
M
beretz,

I assume you're talking about the HD version? They're excellent optically, giving up very little to just about anything made. The only downside is they're on the heavy side, if that's a consideration, but that's because they're very rugged.

“Montana seems to me to be what a small boy would think Texas is like from hearing Texans.”
John Steinbeck
IC B2

M
Campfire Kahuna
Online Content
Campfire Kahuna
M
Sakoluvr,

Don't give up. I thought I'd lost one of my good binoculars this summer, but found them again after about three months--right in the door where I'd stashed them in a hurry, and then forgotten about it.

There are some excellent binoculars out there for $500 or less these days, as good as anything available for $800-$1000 a decade ago. You might consider one of those, and then if your Pentax reappears you'll have a backup.

John Steinbeck
C
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
C
I had a chance to compare my 10x50 Vortex Viper HD against a 10x42 Swarovski on an elk hunt last week.

The Viper was within a very, very small margin of equaling the Swaro in optical quality (sharpness). What I did give up with the Vipers was comfort.

I wear glasses, and I could pick up the Swaros and immediately look through crystal-clear glass. The Vipers took some jiggling around to to find that "sweet spot" in positioning the eyecup perfectly in front of each eyeglass lens. This happened every time I picked them up. Those who don't wear glasses can often put the eyecups repeatedly in the same place by pressing them into the same place against the eye socket or the bridge of the nose, but I find that with glasses, you just scoot them around until it's clear.

Anyway, I love my Vipers and they have excellent glass, but if I had the money, I'd buy the Swaros.

All that is necessary for the triumph of evil is that good men do nothing -- Edmund Burke
M
Campfire Kahuna
Online Content
Campfire Kahuna
M
Depending on the particular Swarovski, the eye relief might be a little longer too, which helps those of us who wear glasses. A lot of people don't consider eye relief in binoculars, but it can make a definite difference.

John Steinbeck
H
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
H
I heard that some guy just published a book all about optics that might be help full to folks who want to buy new optics.

Its all right to be white!!
Stupidity left unattended will run rampant
Don't argue with stupid people, They will drag you down to their level and then win by experience
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by Mule Deer
Sakoluvr,

Don't give up. I thought I'd lost one of my good binoculars this summer, but found them again after about three months--right in the door where I'd stashed them in a hurry, and then forgotten about it.

There are some excellent binoculars out there for $500 or less these days, as good as anything available for $800-$1000 a decade ago. You might consider one of those, and then if your Pentax reappears you'll have a backup.

I found em! When my son got his bear a few weeks ago I had em on and removed them when it came time to get the bear out of the woods. I swore I left them at the site of the kill, but could not find them despite going back to look 2x.

Stashed them in a pack back at the cabin, and found them today. Joy!

dogzapper

Italian Proverb

IC B3

O
Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
O
Originally Posted by Huntz
I heard that some guy just published a book all about optics that might be help full to folks who want to buy new optics.
Yeah, I heard that guy is pretty sharp on optics and reloading too. I also heard he has a wife who's a cooking machine...written books on wild game preparation. wink

There are 2 rules to success:

1. Never tell everything that you know.
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Sounds like a very lucky buck. i mean guy.

Parents who say they have good kids..Usually don't!

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

666 members (1beaver_shooter, 10gaugemag, 10gaugeman, 160user, 1eyedmule, 01Foreman400, 65 invisible), 3,359 guests, and 1,310 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,378
Posts18,469,505
Members73,931
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.