Print Thread
Hop To
Page 1 of 2 1 2
U
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
U
So last week it appeared we had a rat moved in to the space under the kitchen sink.

Que the existential angst...we're all gonna die of hantavirus or the plague....

So, traps were set. Rat was caught.

Mistake #1 : live trap

Unfortunate circumstance: juvenile male

Mistake #2: placed in a bird cage until final disposition was determined.

Current predicament:

Rat = disease ridden threat to civil order when living under the sink.

But...

Rat = darling potential new addition to the family when living above the sink.

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

GB1

Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
Gee, and I was thinking it was the next meal for birds..... grin

"...the left considers you vermin, and they'll kill you given the chance..." Bristoe
C
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
C
If'n that was living anywhere with in a 100 feet or so of our house wifey would call in an artillery strike.

U
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
U
In fairness, rats do make really good pets (they almost never bite) and the twins did have a rat apiece for 4 years.

But.....I did try to make a case for hawk food. I also tried to make a case for feeding the mice to the kestrel and using the mouse cage for the rat.

Nixed x 2. We might be stuck with both the mice and the rat.....

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Before we were married my wife and her daughter had a pet rat. Once you get past the skinny naked tail it was actually a very intelligent and friendly little beast and liked to curl up in her open hands or tucked behind her on the couch.

Once in a while she'd take it out with her, perched up on her shoulder, hidden by her hair. It would freak folks out to be talking to her when suddenly a little rat snout would peak out from under her hair and start sniffing around. wink

That one succumbed to old age so a few years later they got a new one, but by this time Christine (the daughter) had outgrown the novelty of a small animal so the little thing sat in the laundry room in a sterile cage. Left alone in a quiet room 24 hours per day and stuck in a plastic box with nothing to do drove it crazy. It started scratching itself under its chin, leaving it bloody.

One day I came home and its forepaws were bloody to the elbows and it looked like someone had cut its throat with blood all down the front. I took it outside and the last thing it saw was the muzzle of a Kimber Model 82 as it raised its head to examine this new and interesting object in its otherwise completely sterile environment.

I've snuffed a lot of small animals without remorse but that one got to me.

Gunnery, gunnery, gunnery.
Hit the target, all else is twaddle!
IC B2

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
lol, you got some good problems to deal with Matt!

thought sure you were gonna tell us the falcons invited the rat to a game of hide and seek, with dinner to follow

I'm pretty certain when we sing our anthem and mention the land of the free, the original intent didn't mean cell phones, food stamps and birth control.
U
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
U
if it stays, Kathryn will be the one looking after it.

there are worse fates in the world for a rat, I suppose...

[Linked Image]

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Aint nothing darling about them sob's. I remember when I was a little kid, mom saw a mouse run behind the toilet. She screamed, grabbed my louisville slugger and proceeded to make the biggest blood spot ive ever seen from such a small animal. Unfortunately, I inherited her traits, would take all of 2 seconds to turn him into a pancake.

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Live trap plus bucket of water equals problem solved.

There is no way to coexist no matter how many bumper stickers there are on Subaru bumpers!

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Rats are smart. You can train them with chocolate chips.

I would euthanize it most likely though.

IC B3

S
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
S
I am sitting here laughing. Been there. Raised three girls. You are outnumbered with just one. grin

The first time I shot myself in the head...

Meniere's Sucks Big Time!!!
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by UtahLefty
In fairness, rats do make really good pets (they almost never bite) and the twins did have a rat apiece for 4 years.

But.....I did try to make a case for hawk food. I also tried to make a case for feeding the mice to the kestrel and using the mouse cage for the rat.

Nixed x 2. We might be stuck with both the mice and the rat.....

i probably had a half dozen as a kid, they are smart, alot like a little dog but have a pretty short life span....told alot of people over the years when looking at a small pet for kids that they are much better than a hamster as they are actually social animals and love attention where half the hamsters me and my siblings had were antisocial.....had most mine trained to come at a whistle and would turn them loose in the livingroom when i had them out and they would explore the chair i was on out through the entire room.....

A serious student of the "Armchair Safari" always looking for Africa/Asia hunting books
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Just name it BEN and let it listen to Michael Jackson. I will live happily ever after.

I could wish a lot of things on my worst enemy but neuropathy ain't one of them.
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
A college class had rats for lab experiment. They turned all the rats loose with the students fearing they would "lose" their rat and not get the same one back? The instructor walked up to the front of the class and "slammed" a book on the desk......Boom echoed in the room. The rats quickly found their "owners" climbing right up on their shoulder ect. Pretty cool.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
I cannot abide a rat..

"I have sworn upon the altar of God, eternal hostility against every form of tyranny over the mind of man."
Thomas Jefferson

GeoW, The "Unwoke" ...Let's go Brandon!

"A Well Regulated Militia" Life Member

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by ingwe
Gee, and I was thinking it was the next meal for birds..... grin

Exactly what I was thinking. smile Truth be known I've grown so tender-hearted in my old age I'd make a pet out of it.

Last edited by MColeman; 11/28/14.
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
If it's a Norway Rat (hairless tail), I would put it down. If it's a native wood rat (aka pack rat), it might make an interesting pet. Have you had any confirmed cases of hantavirus in your county? If so, you might want to forget the pet deal...

Ben

Some days it takes most of the day for me to do practically nothing...
U
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
U
not up here. most cases in mice in southern (four corners) area

U
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
U
someone just sent this to me via FB, quite possibly one of my kids playing sockpuppet shocked :

[Linked Image]

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
You need a cat.

I am..........disturbed.

Concerning the difference between man and the jackass: some observers hold that there isn't any. But this wrongs the jackass. -Twain

Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

69 members (35, 308ld, 14idaho, 3dtestify, 10gaugemag, 406_SBC, 9 invisible), 1,883 guests, and 820 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,387
Posts18,469,728
Members73,931
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.