Print Thread
Hop To
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3
R
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
R
Yes, I was wearing a HSS vest and rope safety line. I'm not hurt but I made a few mistakes I want to share so it won't happen to you.

I was climbing down this evening. It was very dark by the time I came down and I didn't turn on my light(mistake #1). I was only about 5 feet from the ground when my seat turned loose. I fell backwards upside down. I was hanging upside down with my feet still in the straps of the foot climber. I thought my left ankle was broke. I couldn't get myself back up, or get my feet loose.

I was likely a little panicked and I just started praying for the Lord to help me.I managed to wiggle my left leg enough to get it loose from the foot strap. Then I could touch the ground with my left hand but not enough to release any pressure off my right foot to get it loose. I finally managed to get hold of my safety line and pull myself up enough to get my right foot out.

I got on the ground and just lay there taking stock of how bad I was hurt. My left ankle hurt but it started easing up after a while and it took my weight just fine.

Now my light and keys are gone. They fell out of my pockets while I was upside down. I felt around on the ground and found my keys. I had a small light on my keys and managed to locate my flashlight. I got all my stuff and my stand together and went back a couple hundred yards to my truck.

All I can say is the Jesus was with me today.

Now, let me say this. It seems the pin holding the cable on the seat climber came out. There were some vines and one must have snagged it on the way down enough to dislodge it. That wouldn't have happened if I was watching with my light on.

My safety line had too much slack in it because I was coming down. If I had came down slower with my line tighter, I wouldn't have fallen all the way upside down.

Last, I was by myself. It would have been bad if I had broken my ankle and had to wait for my wife to come looking for me. She knew where I was but I was only hanging a couple minuets and it was the longest two minuets of my life.

Learn from my mistakes and be safe.

I am fine except from some scratches all over the back of my head and hands because I went through some thick brier vines when I was pitched backwards.

Thank you Jesus!!!!!

GB1

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Wow, glad your alright. I bought my a climber this year but haven't had a chance to use it yet. I appreciate you sharing your story. I'm not up to par on using the climber yet but will definitely have a safety harness on.

A
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
A
Stands are dangerous.

Sure glad we don't have to use them out here.

You didn't use logic or reason to get into this opinion, I cannot use logic or reason to get you out of it.

You cannot over estimate the unimportance of nearly everything. John Maxwell
A
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
A
Amen, brother.

R
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
R
Things happen fast. Glad your ok.

IC B2

R
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
R
I should have had my safety line tighter. If it had been tighter, I wouldn't have fallen upside down. I couldn't get myself back up, or get my feet out of the straps. If I had been higher, or broken my ankle, it would have been a lot worse. I might still be hanging upside down by the foot climber straps.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
RH, glad to hear your ok and glad to hear you had on a harness, it could have been a lot worse.

BTDT

Old Turd- Deplorable- Unrepentant Murderer- Domestic Violent Extremist

Just "Campfire Riffraff and Trash"

This will be my last post! Flave 1/3/21
R
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
R
Originally Posted by Oldman2003
RH, glad to hear your ok and glad to hear you had on a harness, it could have been a lot worse.

BTDT

Yes! I do want to say however that my harness never took any weight. I had my safety line too long because I was climbing down. Because of that, I was left hanging by the foot climber feet straps. I couldn't get my feet out of the straps for a few minuets. It seemed like a very long time.

W
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
W
I am very glad you are OK...even using a harness a person can be severely injured or killed in a fall. In fact, it is not unheard of for a person to suffocate while hanging in a chest harness.

In a previous life I was a game warden. One evening I was conducting a public hearing about deer hunting regulations. At one point I asked how many people attending the hearing used tree stands, and about 30 hands went up. Then I asked how many of them had fallen from a tree stand...and about 25 hands went up.

The other 5 were apparently waiting their turn. I'm a chicken, and like a chicken, I don't fly very well no matter how hard I flap my wings. So I stay on the ground...with the other chickens.

Last edited by wildhobbybobby; 11/28/14.

Life is like a purple antelope on a field of tuna fish...
C
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
C
Glad you are alright. Sorry to hear of your troubles today.

"The number one problem with America is, a whole lot of people need shot, and nobody is shooting them."
-Master Chief Hershel Davis

IC B3

R
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
R
Thanks guys.

I'm sharing so someone may not make the same mistakes I did. In retrospect. keep the safety line very tight to the tree .

Instead of webbing straps on the foot climber, a tarp strap would have been much better. If my feet had come out, the vest would have caught me.

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Dang glad you are safe. BTW what is a tree? laugh

[Linked Image]

Liberalism is a mental disorder that leads to social disease.
S
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
S
Glad to hear your ok. Hanging upside down to long can be fatal. Hanging upright can also as it cuts off circulation to your main artery in your leg. We use harnesses in the theater and have rescue plans in place whenever someone is up.

Never take life to seriously, after all ,no one gets out of it alive.
S
Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
S
Glad you're ok.

Trees are for squirrels though.

"Dear Lord, save me from Your followers"
E
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
E
Good to hear you came out alright, RH. PTL.

The tree of liberty must be refreshed from time to time by the blood of patriots and tyrants.

If being stupid allows me to believe in Him, I'd wish to be a retard. Eisenhower and G Washington should be good company.
CRS Offline
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
R H,
Glad you came out ok. Tree stand falls are scary. I have never fallen, but I slipped once and fortunately caught myself.

I have given up on trees. Leafy suits and ground blinds for me.
Did I mention I do not like heights...at all.

Arcus Venator
R
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
R
Good to hear you were not injured. I've came before the Lord regarding climbing stands a couple of times myself. I didn't listen well enough the first.

We may know the time Ben Carson lied, but does anyone know the time Hillary Clinton told the truth?

Immersing oneself in progressive lieberalism is no different than bathing in the sewage of Hell.
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Trees are for birds & squirrels & such.

I keep my azz on the ground & manage to kill all the critters I want.

I know people that have been messed up bad & one that got killed falling out of trees.

Mike

Always talk to the old guys , they know stuff.

Jerry Miculek
S
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
S
Glad you are OK.

The first time I shot myself in the head...

Meniere's Sucks Big Time!!!
A
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
A
Originally Posted by eh76
Dang glad you are safe. BTW what is a tree? laugh

[Linked Image]

I think that's right where I used to live....or was it another stretch of Wyoming prairie that looked just like it?

You didn't use logic or reason to get into this opinion, I cannot use logic or reason to get you out of it.

You cannot over estimate the unimportance of nearly everything. John Maxwell
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

54 members (14idaho, 3dtestify, 6mmCreedmoor, 10gaugemag, 406_SBC, 10 invisible), 1,665 guests, and 763 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,387
Posts18,469,726
Members73,931
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.