Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 4 of 8 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8
B
Campfire Greenhorn
Campfire Greenhorn
B
I don't think there can be parallax with irons, but it would be the same as bad sight alignment.

To be clear on stability and bullets 'going to sleep'...
It's completely normal for bullets to come out of the muzzle with some disturbance or 'tip off' due to barrel whip, gas escape, imbalance, etc. When this happens, a stable bullet will settle and dampen it's yaw down as it flies.

However, the helical/corkscrew flight path that results from this motion is so very minor (about 1/10th of one caliber) that it simply doesn't explain the magnitude of group convergence that is often reported.

-Bryan

GB1

R
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
R
Bryan
Thanks for the information-

Campfire Sage
Campfire Sage
Originally Posted by BryanLitz
I don't think there can be parallax with irons, but it would be the same as bad sight alignment.

To be clear on stability and bullets 'going to sleep'...
It's completely normal for bullets to come out of the muzzle with some disturbance or 'tip off' due to barrel whip, gas escape, imbalance, etc. When this happens, a stable bullet will settle and dampen it's yaw down as it flies.

However, the helical/corkscrew flight path that results from this motion is so very minor (about 1/10th of one caliber) that it simply doesn't explain the magnitude of group convergence that is often reported.

-Bryan

Your name is on my ballistic app thingy.

Travis

Originally Posted by Geno67
Trump being classless,tasteless and clueless as usual.
Originally Posted by Judman
Sorry, trump is a no tax payin pile of shiit.
Originally Posted by KSMITH
My young wife decided to play the field and had moved several dudes into my house
ChrisF Offline OP
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
Jeff,
Re: parallex with irons. There's a fellow competitor/engineer a similar question and posted a white paper. I think he was challenging the importance of sight alignment. I'll see if I can find a link...or try googling Robert Burge, iron sights.

S
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
S
Originally Posted by deflave

Travis

Yours is on three overpasses between Cheyenne and Cody.

A wise man is frequently humbled.

IC B2

Campfire Sage
Campfire Sage
Originally Posted by smokepole
Originally Posted by deflave

Travis

Yours is on three overpasses between Cheyenne and Cody.

Country gals. Always braggin'.

Travis

Originally Posted by Geno67
Trump being classless,tasteless and clueless as usual.
Originally Posted by Judman
Sorry, trump is a no tax payin pile of shiit.
Originally Posted by KSMITH
My young wife decided to play the field and had moved several dudes into my house
R
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
R
Originally Posted by ChrisF
Jeff,
Re: parallex with irons. There's a fellow competitor/engineer a similar question and posted a white paper. I think he was challenging the importance of sight alignment. I'll see if I can find a link...or try googling Robert Burge, iron sights.

Thats all it is in optics... non alignment.

Without that with irons you can't shoot a group. Pretty simple.

Since I could shoot gropus in the day, and according to some laser thingy my prone slung up wobble was very minimal, I'd think my results of shooting were repeatable enough.

Damn shame, you are getting me itchy again, but it simply won't happen unfortunately....at least not for some years.

We can keep Larry Root and all his idiotic blabber and user names on here, but we can't get Ralph back..... Whiskey Tango Foxtrot, over....
ChrisF Offline OP
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
Jeff,
Here's a link to the Iron Sight/Parallax article I had mentioned;
http://www.biathlon.net/Aperture_Sight.pdf

BTW, I still have two 6.5 twist uppers. One is set up for strain pressures. (remember that one?) and the other has maybe 2000 rounds on it. Would you want me to send one of them to Texas for 90JLK load work-ups to see if you can recreate the effect with my upper?

ChrisF Offline OP
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular

Last edited by ChrisF; 12/10/14.
W
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
W
I have an early 56 or 57' Winchester Varminter in .243, I noticed it loved federal prem70 gr BT's, I was able to buy the last 9 boxes left from the case of the first box that shot so well.the gun and ammo was sub moa at 100 about a solid .75 inch 5 shot on clear ,cool and calm days.At 300 yards it would and still will shoot 1 1/8" group if I am 'on'. I have 3 boxes,60 rounds left and smile every time I see them in the back of the ammo storage.. As hard as I have tried I just can tie the 300 yard 5 shot groups at 200 yards. Old timer shooters explained it to mr as the bullets going to sleep out past the 100 yards, I never questioned I just smiled the old school gun and factory ammo will still 'do it' if Im on! very best WinPoor
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
old50,1,2and300yardrange,

Last edited by winchesterpoor; 12/10/14. Reason: addphoto
IC B3

A
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
A
I have a 243 with a 1-8 inch twist #3 bartlein barel, shooting 105 gr berger hybrids. Have shot a 243 for 20 years, but this is a new barrel, about 6 months old. It shoots .5 to .6 at 100 yds.What is interesting is that it shoots the same group size, at 200yds. It simply doesn't change. Have replicated this 3 times now. You would think that the group size should increase as distance increases. Have not shot a bench group at 300 to see there. Any thoughts?

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Yes. Shoot it at 300....

R
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
R
Originally Posted by ChrisF
Jeff,
Here's a link to the Iron Sight/Parallax article I had mentioned;
http://www.biathlon.net/Aperture_Sight.pdf

BTW, I still have two 6.5 twist uppers. One is set up for strain pressures. (remember that one?) and the other has maybe 2000 rounds on it. Would you want me to send one of them to Texas for 90JLK load work-ups to see if you can recreate the effect with my upper?

Thanks for that article and the one below, I'll have to make time to read it.

I appreciate the upper offer, but my life simply does not have time to do things like this right now. Vol Fire/EMS burns most of my time that I have to spare. Even find it hard to find time to work up a hunting load for a new rifle or even bed and work on the trigger.... Unfortunately between that, caring for parents, the 100 acres maintenance, and a job that is requiring more schooling and so on... just isn't time right now.

I hate that, but its life.

Thanks, Jeff

We can keep Larry Root and all his idiotic blabber and user names on here, but we can't get Ralph back..... Whiskey Tango Foxtrot, over....
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
1) Watch arrows in slow motion as being released from a bow. They come out with lots of side to side movement but, they stabilize the further out they get, to a point, when they again become unstable, I believe due to a loss of spin. If you shoot one up in the sky by the time they come down they are wobbling. They start out wobbling, they stabilize, then they begin again as spin drops off.

2) Remove twist and shoot a projectile out of a smoothbore and what differences do you see? I suspect chaos.

3) Spin a toy top on a table and what happens?

I have no problem seeing a bullet stabilizing due to the SPIN relentlessly trying to "center" it, and not necessarily at OUR arbitrary 100 yards. With barrel weights, lengths, twists, construction, and projectile construction, weight, and velocities I would imagine there would be too many variables to predict at what range a given load would be the most "accurate" or centered.

The experiment that needs to be conducted is what happens to a projectile at varying rates of twist, right down to no twist. That would shed some light on things.

LOL
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Watch this 7 second video. If you think arrows only fly worse after they leave the bow, in ever widening circles, you would be wrong.

LOL
S
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
S
Originally Posted by Mule Deer
As Bryan Litz points out, the phenomenon of bullets "going to sleep" doesn't explain how they somehow land closer to point-of-aim further downrange.

Exactly, I never could understand why this line of reasoning still continues to exist.

I had a rifle that was shooting 300 yd groups that were consistently larger than they should have been. The culprit was when In focus at 300 yds the parralax was way off. I fixed the issue by adjusting the parralax out of the scope first then focused the eye peice. I believe 99% of this phenomenon is a parralax issue or related to a mirage issue caused by optics or even ones own eyes.

Shod

The 6.5 Swede, Before Gay Was Ok
F
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
F
Originally Posted by Fireball2
Watch this 7 second video. If you think arrows only fly worse after they leave the bow, in ever widening circles, you would be wrong.

Again, no critical thought. Think about it. Yes the arrows are flexing, but no one, and I do mean NO ONE in archery competition thinks that a bow will shoot smaller groups at 20 yards than at 10 yards. Nor if they are tuned right will they shoot smaller groups at 40 yards than at 20. And then think about that a bullet ain't flexing. It is launched from the muzzle in a particular direction. It can't magically pull itself back into the bore line.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Agreed. That archery link has zero to do with the topic at hand. Not same thing, nor close......

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Exactly, I never could understand why this line of reasoning still continues to exist.

Because those convinced they can shoot better groups at long range than up close have repeated that fallacy until they believe it themselves

One shot, one kill........ It saves a lot of ammo!
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Bullets are also void of fletching to drag in the air and slow down the spin rate....

Page 4 of 8 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

578 members (10gaugemag, 007FJ, 17CalFan, 1Longbow, 1lessdog, 1badf350, 63 invisible), 2,581 guests, and 1,352 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,469
Posts18,471,386
Members73,934
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.