Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
#9394809 12/05/14
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
I don't spend much time out there, but I'm gonna guess the locals will be restless. Wonder how many will ante up for the permit?

http://www.adn.com/article/20141204/eklutna-inc-lands-protected-conservation-easement

PALMER -- More than 1,300 acres of Eklutna Inc. land in Butte and Chugiak are now off-limits to development with an agreement signed recently between the Alaska Native corporation and Great Land Trust.

The two completed the sale of conservation easements on three parcels in late November, according to the trust, an Anchorage-based nonprofit. Neither party would say how much money the easements are worth.

The land remains under Eklutna ownership for traditional use by shareholders. The public can use the lands, including a well-used boat launch at Mud Lake and trail near Burnt Butte, after getting a permit, Eklutna CEO Curtis McQueen said.

The biggest parcel is nearly 800 acres east of Palmer in the Jim, Mud and Swan lakes area accessed by Maud Road. The scenic area is salmon- and wildlife-rich. It�s near the state�s roughly 260,000-acre Knik River Public Use Area, popular for fishing, hunting and all-season recreation.

Deciding to sign an easement for that parcel was initially a tricky decision, given the development value of the area and the corporation�s mission to generate revenue for shareholders, McQueen said. But then board members twice toured the area and decided preservation was the best route.

�At the end of the day, it wasn�t as hard as we thought,� he said.

Eklutna is the largest private landowner in the Anchorage Bowl and a major developer in Eagle River.

The corporation will have nearly 80,000 mostly road-less acres in the region once the federal land selection process finalizes in February, McQueen said. The land includes accessible areas such as the old Matanuska town site below the Glenn Highway and what he called a �developable� parcel near the old drag strip in Butte.

The other two parcels involved in this week�s announcement with Great Land Trust are a conservation project on Mink Creek next to the Glenn Highway near Birchwood and a greenbelt near the mouth of the Eklutna River.

The money is going into a fund accessible by the trust and Eklutna to manage the land, with shareholders to get a hiring priority. The job will involve regular inspections to check for illegal poaching on the easement lands, McQueen said, or �four-wheelers punching in new mud-bogging roads� that others then follow. It will also involve public education or posting signs.

GB1

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
"The scenic area is salmon- and wildlife-rich"

I'd like to know what they consider "wild-life rich". lol

That's ok, I'll ass shoot a dink.

Steelhead

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
You obviously do not know what rednecks look like... wink

Mark Begich, Joaquin Jackson, and Heller resistance... Three huge reasons to worry about the NRA.
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by Sitka deer
You obviously do not know what rednecks look like... wink

What's the bag limit on them and do I need a draw tag? grin

That's ok, I'll ass shoot a dink.

Steelhead

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Don't go there... they are virtually impossible to clean...

Mark Begich, Joaquin Jackson, and Heller resistance... Three huge reasons to worry about the NRA.
IC B2

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by Sitka deer
Don't go there... they are virtually impossible to clean...

Hey! I'm sittin right here yaknow! blush mad

you're statement is accurate, but still it hurts my feelers cry

I'm pretty certain when we sing our anthem and mention the land of the free, the original intent didn't mean cell phones, food stamps and birth control.
Campfire Oracle
Online Happy
Campfire Oracle
Sealaska of the north?

If you take the time it takes, it takes less time.
--Pat Parelli

American by birth; Alaskan by choice.
--ironbender

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

74 members (907brass, 44automag, 10gaugemag, 308xray, 300_savage, 10 invisible), 1,480 guests, and 853 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,387
Posts18,469,723
Members73,931
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.