Print Thread
Hop To
Page 1 of 7 1 2 3 4 5 6 7
B
Campfire 'Bwana
OP Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
B
Hey guys, I wanted to buy a classic sporter 338 win mag for elk hunting because my pre 64 model 70 took some good abuse this elk season and I felt sorry for it after 2 days in the rain. I put it away and started using a more weather resistant rifle. Of course 79s is going to say: See I told you so grin. I just don't like putting my pre 64's through that much anguish I guess. I have classic sporters for that kind of abuse grin. Anyway, with EricM, and Beretzs and Kutenay in mind, I took on a project that was almost complete, but needs some finishing touches. Here is a list of what will be done to it:

1. Cerakote the metal.
2. Cerakote the stock
3. Install new red pachmayr decelerator.
4. Glass bed.
5. Freefloat the barrel...
6. Jewel the bolt..
7. Hunt the living heck out of it in all kinds of weather..

I ended up getting an excellent deal on a 1955 pre 64 H&H action with a stainless 338 win mag barrel already screwed on. The barrel looks pretty damn new with polished chamber and crisp sharp rifling in the bore. It came with a bansner (High tech specialties) stock and weighs in right at 7 pounds. I weighed it with an extra aluminum floor plate I had laying around. I'll end up buying an aluminum trigger guard and then send it off for cerakote. My plans are to make it look somewhat similar to my 270 fwt, so the stock will be cerakoted dark brown (similar to Mcmillan's brown color).

Someone has already asked for some "before" pictures, plus there will be progression pics to come. Here goes guys. Hope you enjoy. To the true collectors, don't be too hard on me for putting this one to good use wink. I like to think of it as a new lease on life for this old girl, even though an H&H action may be a waste for a 338 win mag, it is cool that I can get 4 in the magazine cool ..:

Before pics:
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
I have no idea as to who makes this barrel. If any of you know, please let me know.

This is what I did to it today:

Checked the receiver scope base threads. Chased the threads and they are all excellent:
[img]http://i1180.photobucket.com/albums/x401/chiefbsa/IMG_0010_zps92a733cd.jpg[/img]

Took the action apart and sanded the stock down:
[img]http://i1180.photobucket.com/albums/x401/chiefbsa/IMG_0018_zps28eb56c3.jpg[/img]
[img]http://i1180.photobucket.com/albums/x401/chiefbsa/IMG_0020_zpsd34f99e9.jpg[/img]
[img]http://i1180.photobucket.com/albums/x401/chiefbsa/IMG_0023_zps11def9c8.jpg[/img]

Originally Posted by raybass
I try to stick with the basics, they do so well. Nothing fancy mind you, just plain jane will get it done with style.
Originally Posted by Pharmseller
You want to see an animal drop right now? Shoot him in the ear hole.

BSA MAGA
GB1

O
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
O
Consider hard chrome over Cerakote: smoother and tougher and won't cause the action to bind by adding thickness to the finely fitted parts.

Very cool project!

Last edited by Oregon45; 12/08/14.
B
Campfire 'Bwana
OP Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
B
Continued:

[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]

It's just about ready to give to my cerakote guy. I'll probably fit the decelerator first before it gets cerakoted though...:

[Linked Image]

I try to stick with the basics, they do so well. Nothing fancy mind you, just plain jane will get it done with style.

BSA MAGA
B
Campfire 'Bwana
OP Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
B
Originally Posted by Oregon45
Consider hard chrome over Cerakote: smoother and tougher and won't cause the action to bind by adding thickness to the finely fitted parts.

Very cool project!

Thanks buddy. I always appreciate your input on these old rifles. I generally try to leave these old girls alone except for the mcmillans here and there with the originals kept stashed away for safe keeping. Back to your hard chrome question. Yes, do you know anyone that does a good job? I use a guy for cerakote because he's close and he does outstanding work. The hard chrome would probably be tougher though.

BSA MAGA
O
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
O
Mahovsky Metalife does great work. I'd do cerakote for the alloy bottom metal, though. Or, if you cerakote, don't coat the action interior or the bolt. I had a pre-64 transition action fully cerakoted and it went from smooth to stiff.

Last edited by Oregon45; 12/08/14.
IC B2

R
RGK Offline
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
R
I like it...a lot. Red pad will look great. What scope and mounts?
Bob

B
Campfire 'Bwana
OP Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
B
Yes, I noticed that on the classic sporter I had done. A little polishing of the raceways and it was back to normal. I'm going to have the bolt jeweled on this pre so there won't be an awful lot of cerakote on the inside of the receiver. I totally agree with you though. Something to be mindful of and you usually learn that on your first cerakoted action.. Here's an old tanger my cerakote guy did for me. He also jeweled the bolt. He does fantastic work:
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]

Come to think about it, I've been looking at the transition you sold. If you google Winchester model 70 "cerakote pictures", yours is one of the first pictures you run across, along with a picture of my classic sporter that is cerakoted sniper grey and in a bansner stock just like this pre 64 I'm working on. I really like the brown McMillan I bought from you and want to make the bansner look just like it:
[Linked Image]

The bansner is light as hell and stiff. I like it. The weight of the rifle (when I get done with it) should be less than 8 pounds all up (scoped and sling)..

BSA MAGA
B
Campfire 'Bwana
OP Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
B
Originally Posted by RGK
I like it...a lot. Red pad will look great. What scope and mounts?
Bob

Mounts will probably be the Leupold PWR's like what are on my 375H&H since this is an H&H action, my choices are limited. Here's my 375 and the mounts I went with on that rifle. They are nice because they don't hang over the ejection port anywhere. They fit great, but are kind of heavy but built like a tank:
[Linked Image]

I'd love to scope it with the Swaro that davidlea has in the classifieds. It is a 3-9x36 Habicht. That may not happen as it's a little spendy for my blood, but if I win the lottery that's the one I'd put on it grin

BSA MAGA
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Cool thread, BSA. I like the direction you're taking and wouldn't change a thing. It's going to be awesome. The Swaro 3-9x36 Habicht would be a good fit. I wonder how a fixed 6x42 scope would look on this rifle? It would probably do as well as a 3-9 variable and be more durable with potentially more ER? That barrel marking has me confounded...

Eric

B
Campfire 'Bwana
OP Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
B
Ha ha. I have no clue as to what manufacture it is Eric. It looks like a "G", inside a micrometer to me. Maybe someone here knows...As far as scopes go, I don't need a lot of eye relief on my scopes. I like 3-9x40 as an all around flexible power range. Funny thing is, I may end up just throwing on one of my favorites and call it a day. However, If I can swing the money I may end up just buying davidlea's if he still has it. Sorry no poker face. I mean, he needs to lower the price on that damn scope and I'd buy it!!!!! grin whistle

BSA MAGA
IC B3

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
You can only sit on snow for so long, eh BSA?!! lol.

Eric

A
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
A
Google Armaloy of fortworth. Armaloy is a chromium coating mostly used on industrial equipment, but they do use it on firearms. It makes the gun come out a color some where in between pewter and stainless steal. It's actually quite pretty. I have a custom build 375 h&h in a brown precision stock that is armaloyed and it is sweet, adds a little bit of slickness to the action and is imperious to everything. You will just about destroy the gun before you damage the finish. Also all the parts are coated, so you gun is protected inside and out.

Three most useless things to a pilot are:
1. The altitude above you
2. The runway behind you
3. The fuel on the ground
B
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
B
I wouldn't Cerrakote the metal moving pieces, I would ask to have them Microslick'ed.. It is another Cerrakote product, that when sprayed on and allowed to air dry has been excellent for me. Very easy to apply and seems to be lasting very well. It only comes in Matte Black, but I am not sure it matters too much if you are just coating the bolt, raceways, internals, etc..

You can see the color difference in this rifle I did a few months ago. The Cerrakote color is Tungsten Grey I think, and the bolt and other pieces are the matte black of the Micro Slick.

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

Awesome project and man, you are build what looks to be an awesome elk rifle in my opinion.

Last edited by beretzs; 12/09/14.

Semper Fi
B
Campfire 'Bwana
OP Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
B
Originally Posted by aguyinAK
Google Armaloy of fortworth. Armaloy is a chromium coating mostly used on industrial equipment, but they do use it on firearms. It makes the gun come out a color some where in between pewter and stainless steal. It's actually quite pretty. I have a custom build 375 h&h in a brown precision stock that is armaloyed and it is sweet, adds a little bit of slickness to the action and is imperious to everything. You will just about destroy the gun before you damage the finish. Also all the parts are coated, so you gun is protected inside and out.

Sounds like very good stuff. I may look into that..

BSA MAGA
B
Campfire 'Bwana
OP Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
B
Originally Posted by beretzs
I wouldn't Cerrakote the metal moving pieces, I would ask to have them Microslick'ed.. It is another Cerrakote product, that when sprayed on and allowed to air dry has been excellent for me. Very easy to apply and seems to be lasting very well. It only comes in Matte Black, but I am not sure it matters too much if you are just coating the bolt, raceways, internals, etc..

You can see the color difference in this rifle I did a few months ago. The Cerrakote color is Tungsten Grey I think, and the bolt and other pieces are the matte black of the Micro Slick.

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

Awesome project and man, you are build what looks to be an awesome elk rifle in my opinion.

Thanks Scotty. I like how that one looks. I'll ask my cerakote guy if he has done that before. The color I'm wanting to go with on the rifle is graphite black with extra hardner for a glossier finish (although we know it won't be a gloss finish)..

BSA MAGA
B
Campfire 'Bwana
OP Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
B
Originally Posted by EricM
You can only sit on snow for so long, eh BSA?!! lol.

Eric

laugh

BSA MAGA
P
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
P
Looking good BSA. Can't wait to see the finished project.

So which daughter isn't going to Europe now? smile

Campfire Kahuna
Online Content
Campfire Kahuna
looks really good. Going to check into the armaloy myself.

LOL
D
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
D
You could go with my favorite combo--blued receiver so it will show honest wear and bead blasted stainless barrel. With the H&H action, you may want to rechamber to .340 so it will recoil harder ; )

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Looks like you'll be busy for a bit. Looking forward to seeing what you end up with.

Page 1 of 7 1 2 3 4 5 6 7

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

574 members (12344mag, 160user, 17CalFan, 10gaugeman, 1234, 16gage, 53 invisible), 2,440 guests, and 1,256 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,405
Posts18,470,186
Members73,931
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.