Print Thread
Hop To
Page 6 of 7 1 2 3 4 5 6 7
B
Campfire 'Bwana
OP Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
B
I'd call High Tech Specialties and let them know what you are looking for. I'm sure they would be glad to help. One thing I noticed with the bansner on my classic sporter is that it needed a lot of work to get it to where it fit perfect. I believe Mcmillan inlets their stocks better, thus less work on our end. I knew that about the High Tech Specialties stocks going into it, but figured I'd give you the heads up. Have you considered a brown "pounder". I think that is one of BobinNH's favorite stocks on the pre 64's. There's also the very hard to find (because winpoor has all of them grin...) pacific research rimrock (Borden) stock that is very nice. The forend's may still be a little fatter than you want, but the drop at the heel/comb are not as much as the Mcmillan hunters compact. Good luck with your project DD. Please post some pictures of some of your stuff when you can. Sounds like you are trying to get things put together in your mind for a real nice model 70. Next step is to make it come alive wink

Originally Posted by raybass
I try to stick with the basics, they do so well. Nothing fancy mind you, just plain jane will get it done with style.
Originally Posted by Pharmseller
You want to see an animal drop right now? Shoot him in the ear hole.

BSA MAGA
GB1

B
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
B
To me the Banser and Brown are a little fuller through the for end than I like. Both have high, straight combs that are comfy to shoot but the grip on the Browns is ever so slightly thinner. Both are light but the Pound'R is the lightest. I can live with the for end.

The Pound'R is very stiff; stiffer than a McMillan. It's all Kevlar far as I know. I would let Brown bed/install it. It isn't cheap.

I have had the Brown's in calibers to 375H&H. Today in any magnum chambering from 7 mag up, I want the Echols stock or Borden RR if you can find one...but of course the Bansner and Brown are both good too.

I think the pre 64 Bansner stock has a cheekpiece; the Classic does not IIRC. Pre 64's have a higher bolt handle lift than Classics so the scope might have to be swung a bit further over to clear the bolt handle. The cheekpiece helps you stay behind the scope better,also helps prevent canting.

I would not want a Brown Pound'R in anything bigger than a 7 mag....they are stiff and will transmit that recoil. Plus they are light and snappy. In a 270/280 they are perfect.

I agree the McMillan Compact comb could be higher and straighter; but I have a longish face so they fit me OK with a low mounted scope. I carry a rifle under the floor plate and the narrow profile feels good.Again best in 270/280 type cartridge
es.

If Bansner's are still made the way they were when I had them, they come with integral fiberglass pillars. These will not shoot "loose".and action screws come to a dead stop when tightened.This contributes to good accuracy and stable maintenance of POI. I have had Bansners where the action screws never loosened after 5-6 years active shooting and hunting, until the barrel quit. Very reliable.

Last edited by BobinNH; 12/27/14.

The 280 Remington is overbore.

The 7 Rem Mag is over bore.
B
Campfire 'Bwana
OP Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
B
Thanks for the very informative post Bob. As per usual, it is much appreciated. You are correct in that the pre 64 Bansner has a cheek piece and the classic doesn't. That seems odd to me. I'm wondering why they decided to do that??? I also saw a stock in the classifieds today that looks exactly like mine and the OP said it's a "brown precision". DD also saw that one. I'm thinking the op may be wrong, or maybe I'm wrong about my stock. To me, it has all the features and profiles as the Bansner pre 64 stock. It looks exactly like the ones pictured on their website. Bob, are these that similar that they would look exactly the same? My stock is extremely light (25 OZ's) with glass bedding. Is there a chance it may be a Brown precision?

Not to change the subject, but I'm in the reloading room right now and getting a chuckle about the groups I shot yesterday with the new rifle. This nickel brass is once fired in my old Ruger m77 338 Win mag, loads worked up in the Alaskan and now fired in this rifle..... I was also thinking about starting a thread titled "first groups/first impressions". I remember and have records of the first group fired in every rifle I own/sold. Some have done better than others, but about 98% of them printed less than an inch. This one is one of them and it turned in a very respectable .566" group. Re-cap on that one:

[Linked Image]

I think I'm going to hang on to this one Bob... wink

I try to stick with the basics, they do so well. Nothing fancy mind you, just plain jane will get it done with style.

BSA MAGA
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Hot damn, nice shooting BSA!!!

Eric

B
Campfire 'Bwana
OP Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
B
Originally Posted by EricM
Hot damn, nice shooting BSA!!!

Eric

Thanks buddy. Here's the second group after a little scope adjustment. Just incase you didn't see it on the other page of this thread:

[Linked Image]

I'm pretty tickled about this rifle Eric.

BSA MAGA
IC B2

pal Offline
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
How will you deal with that terrible stringing? wink

"There's more to optics than meets the eye."--anon

"...most of us would be better off losing half a pound around the waist than half a pound on our rifle."--dhg

B
Campfire 'Bwana
OP Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
B
It was windy yesterday... whistle laugh

BSA MAGA
D
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
D
Originally Posted by bsa1917hunter
It was windy yesterday... whistle laugh

I'm certainly glad that you were able to figure that one out, BSA.

Nice shooting.

donsm70

Life Member...Safari Club International
Life Member...Rocky Mountain Elk Foundation
Life Member...Keystone Country Elk Alliance
Life Member...National Rifle Association
B
Campfire 'Bwana
OP Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
B
Ha ha.. Thanks for the comments guys.

BSA MAGA
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
That will definitely work!! Are you liking the Swaro glass?

Eric

IC B3

B
Campfire 'Bwana
OP Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
B
I like the Swaro glass. However, it doesn't seem to track as well as it should for a high dollar scope. I'll know more about how I like it on it's first elk hunting trip. After all, once it's dialed in, I shouldn't need to mess with the turrets anymore after that. Most of my shots on elk around here are sub 100 yards anyway, but in dark timber. I'm thinking it will work perfectly for it's intended purpose. A few more range trips and some load development and this ol girl is going to sing, trust me on that grin

BSA MAGA
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Nice rifle BSA, excellent job of putting it together too. I really like that cerakote job. Sure shoots good too. You are giving me ideas about a 338. cool

JOC was right. The 270 Winchester on a Model 70 is a great combination as is the 30/06 and 375 H&H

H
Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
H
Thanks for the posting BSA, it's been fun to follow along, a great looking rig. Between the kids and I we have 7 swaro Z3's and really like them. The one on my 300 H&H/legend hasn't been adjusted for 5 years......it just keeps printing little groups and killing elk.

W
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
W
BSA, This has been a fun post to follow, all Im going to say is you have made me take my 300 win mag pre 64 out of the safe and start hunting a stock! I wish it was not so dam nice, I would take it in to ceracoat! Im going to really work it out on the bench today as I have shot it very little, find out what she will do! very best WinPoor

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Lookin good!

B
Campfire 'Bwana
OP Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
B
Originally Posted by winchesterpoor
BSA, This has been a fun post to follow, all Im going to say is you have made me take my 300 win mag pre 64 out of the safe and start hunting a stock! I wish it was not so dam nice, I would take it in to ceracoat! Im going to really work it out on the bench today as I have shot it very little, find out what she will do! very best WinPoor

Thanks winpoor ol buddy. I wouldn't have cerakoted this one, but I was looking for a good strong weather resistant option that didn't cost an arm and a leg. Plus the bluing on this one was worn thin. The guy that does mine lives 12 miles away from me and his turn around time is less than a week, that even includes the bolt jeweling, which I think is some of the nicest work I've seen. He takes his time and really does it right, even though his turnaround time is super quick. I'll be honest, I have loved the 338 win mag for a long time and this rifle is just about perfect for what I want to use it for. I've never really taken the "light" rifle plunge, but this one seems pretty light to me for a 338, but still surprisingly manageable. I need to develop some loads with some of my 250gr. sierra gamekings and see if I can get consistent sub moa groups like I got with my Ruger m77 MKII. When I get a good load worked up, I'm going to shoot Carl Ross' positional drill match for practice and see how she does in different field positions. I'm looking forward to that, it should be interesting... This thread has been fun for me, I'm glad you guys are enjoying it too. Thanks...

BSA MAGA
R
RGK Offline
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
R
A great post; I was getting impatient waiting for the completed photos! And it groups superbly, like all your rifles. Been thinking of building a do-all, indestructible .30-06 along the lines of what you did...only thing I'd change would be using a Meopta scope, maybe. A nice addition to your safe, Sir!
Bob
PS- Is the recoil noticeable at that weight?

B
Campfire 'Bwana
OP Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
B
Thanks guys. I appreciate all the interest and kind words. It sure has been fun. I'm glad I finally got a better camera too. Hopefully the latest pictures are a little better. To answer your question Bob: I'll be as honest as I can here:

This 30-06 weighed the same:
[Linked Image]

and recoil felt a little worse. Due greatly to the stock shape and design.

Brad brought this to my attention a long time ago and mentioned the parallel comb as being great at minimizing felt recoil. I have to say I totally agree with him. Compare these stocks:

[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]

By the way, BobinNH and DakotaDeer and I believe thekid (who deleted his post, I have a good memory huh grin ) think this stock is a Brown precision, which shares a lot of the same features/looks as the Bansner but it has a slimmer wrist. I like the stock design a lot regardless of whether it is a Bansner or Brown Precision.

BSA MAGA
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Agree that this has been enjoyable to follow. I'm intrigued by the stock contour template and itching to make one up, just to see how my current toys compare. I once had a push feed M70 in 300 WM that was downright abusive to shoot. Would have been interesting to see where it laid out. Thanks for keeping us up on your progress with this.

There's 2 dates they carve on your tombstone.
Everyone knows what they mean.
What's more important is time that is known
as the little dash inbetween.

Razz
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
I agree that template is super cool and really makes it easier to see the differences in stocks.

Eric

Page 6 of 7 1 2 3 4 5 6 7

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

572 members (1badf350, 10gaugemag, 007FJ, 17CalFan, 1Longbow, 1lessdog, 60 invisible), 2,535 guests, and 1,357 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,469
Posts18,471,408
Members73,934
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.