Print Thread
Hop To
Page 1 of 2 1 2
S
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
S
I just finished W.D.M. Bell's "The Wanderings of an Elephant Hunter" and in the chapter on "Rifles", he writes...

�The thing that did the most for my rifle shooting was, I believe, the fact that I always carried my own rifle. Constant handling, constant aiming, constant Swedish drill with it, and then when it was required there it was ready and pointing true.�

Does anyone know what the "Swedish Drill" consists of? Is it the transition from a slung rifle into to shooting position or something entirely different. I don't recall Bell ever mentioning slings on his rifles, so I think he may be referring to something else.

Just curious if anyone is familiar with this term.

THANKS,

Stump

PS - The book is excellent! Took me a while to find it, but glad I was able to finally track it down.

[b][/b]

Last edited by Stump Buster; 12/10/14.
GB1

D
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
D
If you read Karamojo Safari, his other book, he speaks about constantly doing aiming and dry fire exercises on game. His rifles became extensions of his body/mind reaction.

S
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
S
Thank Your for the reply Docbill...

Yep, read that one a few years ago and if I remember correctly, John "Pondoro" Taylor said the same thing about using his long-guns in the same fashion, I was just wondering if this is what "Swedish Drills" were implied as or if it was something in addition to the above since it is specifically mentioned. It could very well be the "Dry-Fire" aspect of the above practice too. In fact, you may be on to something as the term "Dry-Fire" could easily be used in place of "Swedish Drill" and would make absolute sequential sense in that excerpt.

Thanks Again!

Stump

S
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
S
It could also be the practice of never taking your eyes off the target and bringing the rifle into alignment so the sights are added into your "visual picture" rather than finding and looking at the sights THEN trying to re-aquire the target after a momentary loss of concentration (This is a good technique with bino's too), but the dry fire practice makes a lot of sense.

P
Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
P
A Google search indicated that a Swedish Drill is a "system of gymnastics that brings every lazy and disused muscle into play."

"When the going gets weird, the weird turn pro."
Hunter S. Thompson
IC B2

S
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
S
Excellent Poconojack!!! That could be it as well!

I found this interesting historical site...

http://gutenberg.net.au/ebooks14/1400171h.html

Again, this explanation easily fit into the scheme of things as well.

I appreciate all the replies!!!

Stump

Campfire Oracle
Online Content
Campfire Oracle
Originally Posted by Poconojack
a Swedish Drill is a "system of gymnastics that brings every lazy and disused muscle into play".

That sounds like something Bell would like!

He was nothing if not thorough..

Recommended reading: "Bell of Africa"- his memoirs. Learn things about him you never knew.

"...the left considers you vermin, and they'll kill you given the chance..." Bristoe
T
Campfire Greenhorn
Campfire Greenhorn
T
Dry firing is great for learning to acquire and hold a target. The "real" dedicated rifle shooters use it a lot. one guy I know said he dry fires an hour EVERY day, and also shoots 12,000 rounds a year in matches. You get good when you do that. Muscle memory is there, and the strength to hold the rifle. But with game, helps too, to do the point and dry fire, program, as gets you on the target and aiming for the kill area, and that would change with the animal, so the more animals you practiced on, the better.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by ingwe
a Swedish Drill is a "system of gymnastics that brings every lazy and disused muscle into play".

That sounds like something Bell would like!

He was nothing if not thorough..

Recommended reading: "Bell of Africa"- his memoirs. Learn things about him you never knew.

'African Adventures' by Denis Lyell has letters between the author and Bell....might surprise some some that voice their opinion as being the same as Bell on rifle selection for dangerous game what he actually did say and recommend to people heading to Africa after elephants and other heavy game.....hint, wasnt his favorite small bores......

A serious student of the "Armchair Safari" always looking for Africa/Asia hunting books
T
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
T
I found it interesting his observations of the native villages he encountered in, I believe, "Bell of Africa". They were all of similar size and strength, because a smaller weaker village would be eliminated by their stronger neighbor, the woman taken and the men and children sold to the Arabs.

IC B3

J
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
J
Originally Posted by tmitch
I found it interesting his observations of the native villages he encountered in, I believe, "Bell of Africa". They were all of similar size and strength, because a smaller weaker village would be eliminated by their stronger neighbor, the woman taken and the men and children sold to the Arabs.

No wonder them Arabs are still pissed off!

Writing here is Prohibited by the authorities.
T
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
T
Yeah, they really wanted the goats.

Charter Member
Ancient order of the 1895 Winchester

"It's an insecure and petite man who demands all others like what he likes and dislike what he dislikes."
szihn

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Bell talks about 2 myths of the hunting world he went contrary to. First, that dryfiring would break the firign pin and disable the rifle. He didn't buy into that at all. Second was insessent cleaning of the bores. Bell calimed that more bores have been ruined by the cleaning rod than neglect.

"The Democrat Party looks like Titanic survivors. Partying and celebrating one moment, and huddled in lifeboats freezing the next". Hatari 2017

"Hokey religions and ancient weapons are no match for a good blaster at your side, kid." Han Solo
Campfire Oracle
Online Content
Campfire Oracle
'calimed'??????

"...the left considers you vermin, and they'll kill you given the chance..." Bristoe
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
A Google search indicated that a Swedish Drill is a "system of gymnastics that brings every lazy and disused muscle into play."

Having grown up in a Swedish enclave, I would have put money on its having something to do with drinking coffee. smile

Not a real member - just an ordinary guy who appreciates being able to hang around and say something once in awhile.

Happily Trapped In the Past (Thanks, Joe)

Not only a less than minimally educated person, but stupid and out of touch as well.
V
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
V
"Swedish Drill" refers to the manner of manipulating/cycling the bolt using the fingers of the right hand, and not the palm, in which the shooting eye never leaves the axis of the sight plane.

Practiced this with my CG63, and it works.

R
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
R
I've been practicing the Irish Drill for years: cycling the bolt while holding a pint of Guinness without spilling a drop. grin

"An archer sees how far he can be from a target and still hit it, a bowhunter sees how close he can get before he shoots." It is certainly easy to use that same line of thinking with firearms. -- Unknown
R
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
R
With snap caps for just about every cartridge now available, there's no reason not to dry fire anymore, whether the old firing pin cautions were true or not.

"An archer sees how far he can be from a target and still hit it, a bowhunter sees how close he can get before he shoots." It is certainly easy to use that same line of thinking with firearms. -- Unknown
Campfire Oracle
Online Content
Campfire Oracle
To the best of my knowledge the only things that can be harmed by dry firing are box lock shotguns and rim fires.

S
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
S
Vrbanic... Would you mind describing the technique for us please? I'm intrigued with the details of the exercise and the origins of the term if you know it. THANK YOU!!!

Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

544 members (06hunter59, 007FJ, 1Longbow, 1moredeer, 160user, 10Glocks, 49 invisible), 2,317 guests, and 1,184 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,398
Posts18,470,039
Members73,931
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.