Page 1 of 2 1 2
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter

D
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
D
If there are fewer and fewer hunters, then why does it seem like more and more of them end up on the land I hunt. It's more crowded out there than ever before from my perspective.

H
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
H
Less and less land....

Experience hath shewn, that even under the best forms of government those entrusted with power have, in time, and by slow operations, perverted it into tyranny.
Thomas Jefferson

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
I'm amazed that so few hunt small game any more , when i was growing up in the late 50's and 60's every kid i knew was chopping at the bits waiting for squirrel and rabbit season to open, but not today , kid have little interest in small game hunting

A Doe walks out of the woods today and says, that is the last time I'm going to do that for Two Bucks.
J
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
J
Originally Posted by bea175
I'm amazed that so few hunt small game any more , when i was growing up in the late 50's and 60's every kid i knew was chopping at the bits waiting for squirrel and rabbit season to open, but not today , kid have little interest in small game hunting

That is all there was to hunt in those days. There weren't any deer. Now, deer are thick as fleas and bow season opens around here in September. Hard to find time for the squirrels and rabbits when you're deer hunting from September to the end of February.

IC B2

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
i guess that is part of the reason.

A Doe walks out of the woods today and says, that is the last time I'm going to do that for Two Bucks.
Campfire Member
Online Content
Campfire Member
Originally Posted by DakotaDeer
If there are fewer and fewer hunters, then why does it seem like more and more of them end up on the land I hunt. It's more crowded out there than ever before from my perspective.

In my area it is because more and more land is being leased by groups and clubs from the urban areas for big money. The average hunter that does not own land are forced to hunt on less property open to the public.

Jerry

Christopher Columbus, the greatest Democrat of them all.

He left not knowing where he was going, and when he got there he did not know where he was. He returned not knowing where he had been, and did it all on someone else's money.
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
All I'm seeing is just the opposite. More and more fuggtards, brown-downers, trespassers, fence cutters, so and so's cousin has a boyfriend and he wants to hunt too, bowfags, plot-watchers, stand burners, , jesus f christos. I can't escape. There are mfkers hunting 3 acres wooded lots behind semi-rural subdivisons with 300 winmags.

Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
we have counties in va that used to be so packed full of hunter you could hardly find a place to hunt. i've seen 3 mile stretches of road along the national forest in highland county that would have 3-400 campers. half would be from another state, mostly pa.

now you go out during rifle season you may find one or two campers on that road. this is mostly due to the decline in deer . the vdgif trapped hundreds of bear from augusta and rockingham counties and relocated them to highland county. this all happened as the coyote population exploded there. with the bad winters ,poor mass crops and more bear and coyotes the deer population and the number of hunters dropped has to nothing.

J
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
J
I find the woods mostly deserted after opening weekend. I attribute that to two things, fewer hunters and leases. Fewer hunters speaks for itself. Leases mean that when someone is paying for a lease, they use it instead of wandering around on the property of others.

All in all, at least for my personal enjoyment, those are good developments.

IC B3

G
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
G
Gettin down to the nitty gritty, ALL leases lead to less overall hunters.

I'm sure the Texas boys will come in and call me a clueless commie prick. It be ok, my skin be thick. grin

P
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
P
Clueless commie prick.
Thanks, this is cool.

--- CAUGHT IN THE CROSSFIRE --- A Magic Time To Be An Illegal In America---
G
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
G
Hey, first obligatory jab.

My pleasure.

You guys that like to hunt livestock in fenced enclosures for a fee are just fantastic. grin

Carry on keepin on.

J
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
J
I hunt mostly on public Wildlife Management areas in the GA mts. Back in the 70's and 80's they were much more crowded. I'm 56, and this year almost all of the hunters I encountered hunting in the same places were my age or older. Very little young blood out there.

Part of the reason is because it is tough hunting. Many of these places are every bit as rugged and steep as in Colorado or anywhere else out west. Success rates are only 5%-10% too.

All of the young hunters are paying $300 or a lot more every year to pay into leased land where they can drive their 4 wheeler right up to their stand and hunt over bait. Until a few years ago baiting was illegal in GA. It was so common anyway that they gave up and made it legal on private property in the southern half of the state. Still illegal here, but it happens a lot.

I don't kill a lot of deer. I have a couple of friends who own land where I could hunt, but it is a postage stamp size parcel of land, 5-10 acres covered with a dozen or more tree stands. I could easily kill a deer just about any day I go, but I just don't get any pleasure from it.

Most people don't really want the truth.

They just want constant reassurance that what they believe is the truth.
K
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
K
I think the decline is small game hunting has to do with the amount of time and money involved. Mostly you can't drive a few miles out of town anymore to hunt in the evening or on a weekend. It takes me almost as much time and planning to go out for rabbits, quail, pheasants, or whatever as it does for elk and antelope. In my case, the other concern is my wifes health and responsibilities I have there.

C
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
C
A lot of it is the suburban lifestyle everyone lives nowadays.

When I was a kid, hunting was something I did to kill time after school until supper time. I'd come in from school, grab a pocket full of shotgun shells and my shotgun, and walk out the back door into the woods to hunt until dark. Today with everyone living in a suburb it's a logistics nightmare to even get to a place you can hunt. For most they've got to load all their crap into the truck and drive 20 miles to even get somewhere they can hunt. In my state you can't even lay your gun in the seat, it's got to be in a gun case with the ammo in a separate bag before you can transport it. What a PITA.

As people get farther and farther removed from the farm it's just harder to hunt on a regular basis so they find other hobbies.

Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by Ghostinthemachine

I'm sure the Texas boys will come in and call me a clueless commie prick. It be ok, my skin be thick. grin

thats farming in most areas of texas ,not hunting.

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Originally Posted by Ghostinthemachine

Hunter numbers continue to increase in Texas, nation

By STEVE KNIGHT
outdoortylerpaper.com

Another report continues to put hunting in a good light, and that is important these days when most of the nation probably can�t understand its relevance.

According to the National Shooting Sports Foundation and Association of Fish and Wildlife Agencies� Hunting in America report hunter numbers are on the upswing nationwide and along with an increase in the numbers of hunters comes economic growth.

Hunter expenditures are up 55 percent since 2006.

Numbers used for the study go back to 2011, but are probably a little better now based on the state of the economy two years back. However, looking back there were 13.7 million hunters in the United States. Collectively they spent $36 billion, which in chamber of commerce dollars represents an economic output of $87 billion. Hunters, through their purchases, leasing and other expenditures support 681,000 jobs.

The important news to lawmakers is that hunting creates $5.4 billion in local and state taxes and $6.4 billion in federal tax dollars. This is important during this era of gun control because it shows urban politicians who will never understand the tradition that there is an economic value to hunting.

After a downward trend that began in the mid-1990s, hunter numbers bottomed in 2006, but have been moving upwards since. Hunter numbers are nearing the level they were in the early 1990s.

While Texas is the 600-pound gorilla when it comes to hunting license sales (already 1.1 million this season) we are rather frugal compared to hunters elsewhere. Wisconsin and New York, which rank Nos. 2 and 3 in license sales, but almost 300,000 short of Texas�) have hunting retail sales totaling more than $2.2 and $2.1 billion, respectively. Texas, where it seems every hunter has every toy, has sales below $1.95 billion. Michigan, which sells half the licenses Texas does and ranks sixth nationally, leads in related retail sales at $2.3 billion.

Most Texas hunters tend to think the best hunting in the country is located within the Lone Star State. Not surprisingly our pride isn�t shared universally. Texas doesn�t even rank in the top 10 when it comes to attracting out-of-state hunters. South Dakota, according to the report, leads that list with 144,000 out-of-state license sales. Comparatively, Texas sold just 56,000 last fall. That is a bit of an apple and oranges comparison. South Dakota is predominately attracting pheasant hunters and a limited number of deer hunters. Some of Texas� out-of-state hunters are coming to hunt dove, turkey and maybe ducks or geese, but most of the 24,000 buying the general non-resident hunting licenses ($315) are deer hunters and most of the 32,000 buying the non-resident five-day special license ($48) are coming to hunt wild pigs, bless their souls.

There is no doubt Texas� hunting license sales were hurt by the economy and drought in recent years. Sales dipped to a 10-year low of 1.039 million in 2005, but have steadily climbed back to about 1.1 million the last two years. This year Super Combo license sales exploded by 20,000, topping the 400,000 mark for the first time.

Youth license sales continued to increase to more than 145,000 this year. Significantly, the number of new youth license sales increased more than the number of senior licenses decreased, although just barely.

Weather and finance certainly have something to do with the improved license sales. Although much of the state is still dry, it is certainly better than it has been. Texas� economy is also much better than other locations thanks in a big part to the Eagle Ford oil boom in South Texas.

One downside, however, is landowners earning royalties from the oil and gas production aren�t as needing of lease hunters as they have been in the past. Only time will tell how that plays out.

The continued growth in youth hunters can be tied to two things, mothers who are getting involved and a generation of Texas men who skipped hunting in their youth are coming back to it and bringing their kids along.

Texas could be seeing a decrease in out-of-state license sales as other states catch up in the trophy deer category. Although they may not produce the numbers of big deer Texas does, there are probably operations offering hunts at a price point more attractive to those who can�t afford higher-priced hunts here.

The state still has room to increase hunter numbers, although it may not be in deer hunting. The number of minorities hunting is still low, but there seems to be an interest there especially among the Hispanic population.

Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla!
R
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
R
other than the little chunk i own, i hunt all public ground in PA. the first day is like new years eve at the local sports bar and then after that i have most places to myself. and small game hunters are almost non-existent here anymore. now if the deer population would recover some from the pre-mass killing days, i think it would be ideal.

My diploma is a DD214
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
The biggest threat to securing quality deer habitat areas on public lands is having to share it with "quail f a g s "

The biggest threat to holding deer on mid to smaller tracts of private propert is keeping coon-huntin bubbas from trespassing. Of course that's hard to do because us landowners are usually asleep, we have jobs- we have to pay for this land and taxes and upkeep.

Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

103 members (7887mm08, 35, 69sportfury, AdventureBound, 6mmCreedmoor, 10 invisible), 1,491 guests, and 901 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,192,118
Posts18,483,515
Members73,966
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.