Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna

LOL
GB1

H
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
H
It'd be annoying to keep getting hit with the scope. I'm sure that would start to make my shots disperse after just a few.

I belong on eroding granite, among the pines.
R
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
R
Originally Posted by Shodd
Originally Posted by Mule Deer
As Bryan Litz points out, the phenomenon of bullets "going to sleep" doesn't explain how they somehow land closer to point-of-aim further downrange.

Exactly, I never could understand why this line of reasoning still continues to exist.

I had a rifle that was shooting 300 yd groups that were consistently larger than they should have been. The culprit was when In focus at 300 yds the parralax was way off. I fixed the issue by adjusting the parralax out of the scope first then focused the eye peice. I believe 99% of this phenomenon is a parralax issue or related to a mirage issue caused by optics or even ones own eyes.

Shod

Then explain why I saw it when shooting irons only...

Mirage could be, but you can read the mirage and what its doing through a spotting scope between shots...

We can keep Larry Root and all his idiotic blabber and user names on here, but we can't get Ralph back..... Whiskey Tango Foxtrot, over....
H
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
H
No human could run a mile in less than four minutes until Roger Bannister did it. Scientists had proved it physically impossible, and proclaimed it loudly.

Certainly, I think Litz will get to the bottom of this question, because he is committed to the process of learning new things. Until then, I am not going to dismiss out of hand what others are reporting, and what I have seen to some extent. Ignorance is not a defensible position for claims of fact.

I belong on eroding granite, among the pines.
Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
It shoots .5 to .6 at 100 yds.What is interesting is that it shoots the same group size, at 200yds.

Unless one passed those groups through screens at both 100 and 200 yds, he is still comparing two independent events.

Yes, one may do .5 at 100 and then subsequently do a .5 at 200. The question is, will that first .5 at 100 also generate a .5 at 200. I think not.

1Minute
IC B2

B
Campfire Greenhorn
Campfire Greenhorn
B
Originally Posted by winchesterpoor
I have an early 56 or 57' Winchester Varminter in .243, I noticed it loved federal prem70 gr BT's, I was able to buy the last 9 boxes left from the case of the first box that shot so well.the gun and ammo was sub moa at 100 about a solid .75 inch 5 shot on clear ,cool and calm days.At 300 yards it would and still will shoot 1 1/8" group if I am 'on'. I have 3 boxes,60 rounds left and smile every time I see them in the back of the ammo storage.. As hard as I have tried I just can tie the 300 yard 5 shot groups at 200 yards. Old timer shooters explained it to mr as the bullets going to sleep out past the 100 yards, I never questioned I just smiled the old school gun and factory ammo will still 'do it' if Im on! very best WinPoor
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
old50,1,2and300yardrange,

Sir,

I'm very interested in having you visit my lab in Michigan to demonstrate this rifle on my shoot thru target. capturing the same group at two ranges is the only way to know for sure if the bullets actually fly that way, or if something else (like optics) explains your observations.

Please email me at: bryan.litzappliedballisticsllc.com if you're interested in a paid trip to my facility.

Thank you,
-Bryan

B
Campfire Greenhorn
Campfire Greenhorn
B
Originally Posted by atse
I have a 243 with a 1-8 inch twist #3 bartlein barel, shooting 105 gr berger hybrids. Have shot a 243 for 20 years, but this is a new barrel, about 6 months old. It shoots .5 to .6 at 100 yds.What is interesting is that it shoots the same group size, at 200yds. It simply doesn't change. Have replicated this 3 times now. You would think that the group size should increase as distance increases. Have not shot a bench group at 300 to see there. Any thoughts?

Please email me: bryan.litzappliedballisticsllc.com if you're interested in a paid trip to my lab in Michigan to demonstrate this effect on my shoot thru target.

Thank you,
-Bryan

U
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
U
I am just back from Kansas, where I checked zero in an M-70 BOSS 30'06. This rifle will shoot a composite 100 and 200 yard group of about one and a half inches. (4.5" high at 100 and about the same at 200 for about a 285 yard zero)

The 300 yard target showed an inch and a half low for a three shot group of 1 1/8" about .4MOA.

Nothing special WW brass Varget and 150 TSX. Same gun and BOSS setting shoots similar size groups with 220 HDYs and too much RE22. Scope is a beat up VXIIc. Only two loads tried in the gun. I am so ashamed.

Watch 'Yer Topknot!
B
Campfire Greenhorn
Campfire Greenhorn
B
Originally Posted by Uncas
I am just back from Kansas, where I checked zero in an M-70 BOSS 30'06. This rifle will shoot a composite 100 and 200 yard group of about one and a half inches. (4.5" high at 100 and about the same at 200 for about a 285 yard zero)

The 300 yard target showed an inch and a half low for a three shot group of 1 1/8" about .4MOA.

Nothing special WW brass Varget and 150 TSX. Same gun and BOSS setting shoots similar size groups with 220 HDYs and too much RE22. Scope is a beat up VXIIc. Only two loads tried in the gun. I am so ashamed.

Are you interested in a paid trip to the ballistics lab to demonstrate this rifle? I'll be happy to pay your way in exchange for witnessing a working example of group convergence, which is what I understand you're seeing (1.5" groups at 100 and 200, and 1 1/8" groups at 300)

Let me know if you're able to visit and we can start making arrangements.

bryan.litzappliedballisticsllc.com

Thank you,
-Bryan

R
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
R
Bryan

I"m really sorry you didn't do this 10 years ago! Or that I had not shot out those uppers on the AR that would do it.

I've not seen it with anything much other than happenstance, excepting the 90 jlks with 6.5 twist. I did run them in 7 twists and they would lightly keyhole, so I'm still saying not totally stabilized and "asleep" until they get further on out there.

I do hope that you get some responses from some of the folks here though, it sure seems like you have access if they are willing, to see whats going on.

Thanks, Jeff

We can keep Larry Root and all his idiotic blabber and user names on here, but we can't get Ralph back..... Whiskey Tango Foxtrot, over....
IC B3

U
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
U
I have two 30'06 rifles that do this. Very generous offer there Bryan... especially as airfare from Alaska is a bit salty. That said it occurred to me that maybe just maybe a shooter is a bit stressed at long range and through nature better able to perform (shoot as it were). I shoot trap a bit better in a league than in a practice session, and I shoot silly better demonstrating a drill before students...that is good stress!
So parallax...sure and or just a little better ability due to stress factors ???

Watch 'Yer Topknot!
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
I do hope that you get some responses from some of the folks here though, it sure seems like you have access if they are willing, to see whats going on.

No one will take the test, because it would prove them wrong

One shot, one kill........ It saves a lot of ammo!
U
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
U
I guess you have to be NEGATIVE to know something.

Watch 'Yer Topknot!
M
Campfire Kahuna
Online Content
Campfire Kahuna
M
Uncas,

I am pretty sure Bryan will go for airfare from Alaska, if you're willing to bring your rifles along.

“Montana seems to me to be what a small boy would think Texas is like from hearing Texans.”
John Steinbeck
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by Uncas
I guess you have to be NEGATIVE to know something.

PROVE me wrong
SHOW, not "tell"

T
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
T
this happens to me a lot.

yes, I know the problem is me. I don't see anyway possible for dispersion to 'recover'.

Guns don't kill people, drivers with cell phones kill people.
pal Offline
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Aim small--miss small.

"There's more to optics than meets the eye."--anon

"...most of us would be better off losing half a pound around the waist than half a pound on our rifle."--dhg

R
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
R
"I don't see anyway possible for dispersion to 'recover'."

The way I understood the concept of a bullet going to sleep was that the bullets path was also a spiral rotating around the bore centerline. I guess the thought is that it spirals further from the centerline at first and then as it gets further out the bullet spirals closer to the bores centerline. So according to this theory a group could be smaller at a further range than a closer one.

"I was born in the log cabin I helped my grandfather build"
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
The way I understood the concept of a bullet going to sleep was that the bullets path was also a spiral rotating around the bore centerline.

That would have nothing to do with group size, even if it were possible, which it's probably not

There's no logical reason to think a bullet travels in a "corkscrew" manner

If it's true, it should be easy to prove since POI would change at different distances

Now all that's needed is for one of the people making the claims to take the man up on his offer to prove the theory

Last edited by Snyper; 12/27/14.

M
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
M
I too have been led to believe that a spiral is what happens. I have witnessed increasing accuracy with boattail projectiles in both 303 and 308 cartridges. I was told that this can happen (with boattails in particular) because the gas escaping at the muzzle as the bullet leaves the barrel will push/pull the base of the projectile and ever so slightly cause the bullet to cant (a boattail design presents a long surface for the escaping gas to act upon, and maybe the effect is more like lift generated like airflow over a wing). The rapid spin rate then corrects the cant gyroscopically but results in the spiral (a force acting in another plane) that luckily dissapears.

I never did fully understand this but accepted the "gist of it". It's a bit like holding the axle of a spinning bicycle wheel out in front of you and then trying to turn it, say, to the left, and then having the whole wheel twist is another direction (eg the top of the wheel will try and go to the right which will lift your left hand and push down your right hand - a reaction 90 degrees to that of what you tried to do with the wheel in the first place).

Originally Posted by mauserand9mm
Originally Posted by mauserand9mm
Originally Posted by Raspy
Whatever you said...everyone knows you are a lying jerk.

That's a bold assertion. Point out where you think I lied.

Well?
Page 5 of 8 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

560 members (01Foreman400, 1badf350, 1Longbow, 10gaugemag, 1936M71, 1beaver_shooter, 64 invisible), 2,534 guests, and 1,362 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,456
Posts18,471,117
Members73,934
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.