Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 1 of 2 1 2
Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member
I saw one of these yesterday. It was in very good shape and had an old J.C. Higgins 4x on it that looked like maybe Weaver had built. What would be a good price on it? I think the shop had $439.00 on it.

I've been wanting an 30/06 with a Mauser action, of course this is the Husqvarna. Should I wait and try to get an '06 in an FN action?

"All I want is to enter my house justified."
GB1

G
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
G
I think the price is a bit high, but haven't tried to buy one the last couple of years. The actions are excellent, and probably worth that much just for the action. The one(s) I had were very accurate. I'd probably try to negotiate a better price, but that's part of shopping, right? If you like it go for it. Husqvarna at least as good as the FN actions.

Ghost
TC1 Offline
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
If you are wanting a Mauser then I would wait. That 51-L is a nice rifle though. Be sure to check the stock over for cracks. I seen a few with them.

M
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
M
30-40. This is an action made by FN as is the HVA but this not marked as an HVA unless I'm incorrect, I have both. Muddy

Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member
It is most definitely marked "Husqvarna" and it isn't an FN.

The stock is solid with no cracks, but has coarse checkering.

I need another 30/06 like I need a hole in the head, but I just sold a rifle and have money burning a hole in my pocket. I am afraid it is fixing to become new furniture for the living room!

IC B2

TC1 Offline
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
I've been using my .30-06 FN Higgins this season and so far I'm really liking it.

Best luck on your choice. The price sounds about right if it's solid.

M
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
M

Krag, I'm damned, Does it have a wing safety or a slider on the right side of the tang?, I have one of each.-Muddy

Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member
It has a slider.

D
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
D
You can always pick up the rifle and if it is not what you want, sell it later. you will then have saved yourself the humiliation of buying furniture..... grin

You're welcome.

M
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
M
Krag I'm really damned now. I just got off looking around on google and I did not know that JC based the later ones on the small ring HVA but they sure did. There is a small ring HVA at the LGS I looked at yesterday in an 06' that has steel bottom metal (I've never seen that) and a monte carlo w/cheekpiece style 1/2 stock at $700. The barrel is iffy and shows red rust in the forward part of the bore so yours looks like a taker. Muddy

IC B3

J
Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
J
If this is the rifle I'm thinking of (small ring Husky), it should be a nice handling lightweight rifle. I bought one from Mule Deer he had for sale here on the fire last spring. I haven't weighed it, but John said it came in right at 7 lbs with a Leupold 6x36. Based on what John and I worked out, I think $400 or a bit less is probably a fair price for just the rifle. If $439 includes a halfway decent scope, I'd go for it. Considering what most new bolt rifles fetch these days, I think it's a bargain...

Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
Dad traded a Stevens 200 in 7-08 I'd paid $200 for on a 51-L in .308. It had some cracks that he got fixed up nicely. He found some loads to shoot good enough, around an inch. It's an overall nice, classic looking, lightweight rifle.

Last years buck.
[Linked Image]

S
Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
S
Hva small ring 98 1600 series action with High Standard barrels on the 51-L. Nice guns, almost all Husky small ring 98s have tang cracking issues with the factory stocks.

R
Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
R
Don't turn your nose at a small ring HVA ..the are wonderful actions. I have several.and love them. Most that have them feel the same...

B
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
B
I've got a Higgins 51 (fn) and 51-L (husky). Both really are fine rifles, and the husky sure is light. I'd take them both over a new 700.

B
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
B
Must be the season. I traded a 1960s vintage savage110 for a 51L this weekend. Didn't really need either one but it gives me something to play with. Wondering how much pushback this thing will have since it's so light weight. I would have preferred a 308 but 3006 it is. I'll just load it accordingly. Judging by what I see new guns going for 400-500 bucks doesn't see too bad to me especially considering the quality of the action etc. do any of you guys with these know sources for after market stocks and other goodies. Thanks

J
Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
J
I would expect any of the suppliers that offer small ring 98 inletting should be able to help with stocks. Here's a link to an owner's manual:

stevespages.com/pdf/jchiggins_51l.pdf

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
If I had the chance at it, I would have never put it down and walked off. Things like that tend to be gone when you go back for it. My HVA has the High Standard barrel and was probably marketed as a High Standard not a Higgins. It also has one of the worst looking front sights I have ever seen. It looks like it came off a ray gun or something. I only leave it on as it draws attention away from the High Standard markings on the barrel, which must be .25 inches tall and equally ugly. It is not the best looking gun in the rack but day in and day out it shoots great and carries easy. It is one of those rifles I got to rebuild and should have never shot before the work started.

H
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
H
My Higgins 51L 3006 is on the Husqvarna 1600 action. I understand that the actions were barreled and stocked in the US by High Standard. My stock was fairly well checkered, but the bedding was rough. After a home glass bedding job (my first) it is a sub 1" shooter. It is my primary hunting rifle even when compared to my other Husqvarnas. It is light, handy and accurate. The High Standard barrel has 1/10" twist, which I prefer, compared to Husqvarna's normal 1/12" twist. Your price may be slightly high, but I would take it, the action alone would be hard to match for the money.

B
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
B
Originally Posted by 348srfun
If I had the chance at it, I would have never put it down and walked off. Things like that tend to be gone when you go back for it. My HVA has the High Standard barrel and was probably marketed as a High Standard not a Higgins. It also has one of the worst looking front sights I have ever seen. It looks like it came off a ray gun or something. I only leave it on as it draws attention away from the High Standard markings on the barrel, which must be .25 inches tall and equally ugly. It is not the best looking gun in the rack but day in and day out it shoots great and carries easy. It is one of those rifles I got to rebuild and should have never shot before the work started.

Mine is marked JC Higgins and it too has the ray gun front sight. Luckily it looks like it might be held on with a set screw so I am hoping it will come right off. I would like to put just a traditional ramp in its place. In your experience how does it group. The skinny barrel has me wondering if it is good for 3 shots before it begins to really heat up. Not a problem in a hunting rifle . I'll agree it's not a presentation grade stock but I doubt the deer will mind and it is once and light weight.

Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

457 members (12344mag, 1minute, 1beaver_shooter, 10gaugeman, 160user, 1eyedmule, 61 invisible), 2,627 guests, and 1,301 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,193,203
Posts18,503,753
Members73,994
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.