Hop To
Page 3 of 5 1 2 3 4 5
J
Campfire 'Bwana
Online Sleepy
Campfire 'Bwana
J

Spot on, Gmoats!

I got banned on another web site for a debate that happened on this site. That's a first
GB1

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Coyote Hunter,
My suggestion, like many more here have already stated, would be to change your carry gun. I've been carrying concealed for over 20 years and teaching CHL classes for over 18 years. And in those last 20 years, I've learned a lot by actual experience which carry size handguns are reliable, and which are not.

Personally, I always liked the look and feel of the Walther PPK, but I've never found one that was 100% reliable. Especially with good HP ammo. Most of the ones I've tried were not even 100% reliable with FMJ ammo. And I've seen several of them fail to feed when used by my students during range qualification for their CHL license.
Again, I always liked the look and feel of th PPK, and they are usually very accurate, but I still don't trust them to bet my life on. And reliability is always the # 1 concern, when it comes to Concealed Carry pistols! Period.

With all the handguns available for concealed carry nowadays, there are SO many good options, IMO, that are small and concealable, and more importantly, RELIABLE. Here are just a few to consider.
First and formost, it's hard to beat a small 5 shot snub nose revolver. They work every time, no matter the circumstances. I prefer the old S&W alloy frame Bodygaurd, or their new half polymer, half alloy frame Bodygaurd, with the factory Lazer. The Ruger LCR is also an excellent choice, I just happen to personally prefer a S&W. But I absolutely would not hesitate to carry the Ruger LCR in .38sp or 357mag.

In the mid-size .380 autos, such as the size of your PPK, I would highly reccomend the. Sig Sauer P230 / P232 series, as they have both double & single action capability, along with a Manuel saftey and decocker. They are also uber reliable, in my experience.
Also, in the mid size class of .380's, my other two choices would be the Glock 42 in 380 or the Ruger LCP .380. While both are ugly as sin, they both work EXTREMLY well.

My last recommendation would be to upgrade to one of the small 9mm compacts, which are basically the same size and feel as the PPK, in .380. My first choice in that size semi-auto would be the Kahr CM9 or the Sig Sauer Model 938 in 9mm. Both have great triggers and are very reliable, also.
The above is merely my personal opinion, based on my personal experience, for whatever it's worth.
Hope this is helpfull in your decision making process.

Last edited by chlinstructor; 12/18/14.

"Allways speak the truth and you will never have to remember what you said before..." Sam Houston
Texans, "We say Grace, We Say Mam, If You Don't Like it, We Don't Give a Damn!"

~Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla~
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
I would say the police have less need to chamber. How often is a cop attacked out of the blue. Usually they get a call or see something and go to investigate. Time to chamber. If you walk out of the hardware, and look like the guy who stole my meth stash, you could be on the ground with multiple stab wounds before you see the danger. No time to draw, no time to chamber. Violence is often so sudden that the victim is behind the curve and never catches up. The reason for the police to use "escalation of force" and to always be steps ahead of the perp. I understand the idea of "higher risk areas" but if a place is dangerous you should stay away. And no place, even at home in you boxers, is SAFE.

Parents who say they have good kids..Usually don't!
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
If your firearm is carried with an empty chamber you have a paperweight until a round is chambered!

I tend to feel it is a training and or familiarization issue if a person is uncomfortable, worried, afraid to carry a firearm loaded?

I personally could not see having an unloaded weapon if the sole purpose of said gun was to protect myself?

Carry however you feel the most confident!

pal Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
[Linked Image]

"There's more to optics than meets the eye."--anon

"...most of us would be better off losing half a pound around the waist than half a pound on our rifle."--dhg

IC B2

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Do not like an empty chamber, edc or hunting. To each his own, however one should really think about carrying a gun. All the decisions, including having it loaded, are not to be taken lightly.

Parents who say they have good kids..Usually don't!
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
I think I see the problem here with the semi-auto. Here in my city there are many places you can't carry even with a CCW. One is constantly removing one's weapon from the holster and locking it in the jockey box and from the jockey box back into the holster. I can see why one may not want to keep a round in the tube. I'm not sure I'd want to even with my 1911.

Don't vote knothead, it only encourages them. Anonymous

"Never underestimate the power of stupid people in large groups." Anonymous

"Self-reliance, free thinking, and wealth is anathema to both the power of the State and the Church." Derby Dude

U
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
U
CH, WHY do you carry with an empty chamber?
Do you only carry your gun while hunting on the day that you're going to need it? Why not leave it at camp on the days that you're not going to see any game?

U
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
U
Originally Posted by derby_dude
I think I see the problem here with the semi-auto. Here in my city there are many places you can't carry even with a CCW. One is constantly removing one's weapon from the holster and locking it in the jockey box and from the jockey box back into the holster. I can see why one may not want to keep a round in the tube. I'm not sure I'd want to even with my 1911.
Didn't anyone ever teach you to keep your booger-picker off the trigger until you're ready to fire?

Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by gmoats
Originally Posted by Coyote_Hunter
...Not likely to need�. Relatively high crime area...In 40 years there is only one instance...avoid any place I think might be problematic...The chances of me needing a gun are slim...In the very few instances...In only one was there any potential...Plenty of time to call the cops...I rarely carried...Now I rarely leave the house without a gun...

CH, I don't mean to be (or sound) contentious�..your carrying habits are no one else's business. Having said that, a quick look at what you wrote notes that you've bolstered your opinions on errant probabilities and irrelevant statistics and combined a lot of vague immeasurability's. You can attempt to determine the "probability" of needing a weapon based on your location, time of day, etc. however in today's world of martial exchanges the concept of "randomness" makes most other forms of logic and all forms of probability moot. In reality the "chances" of you needing a gun are either 0% or 100%, there's no such thing as "almost" needing a gun-----so far in my life (and yours, I think) it's been 0%. The victims of the Aurora Theater shooting had, up to that point never needed a gun---then they did. Where you are is not the issue---almost all home invasions, happen�����AT HOME----and usually in "nice" neighborhoods, it's never happened to the victim before. Then it does. The two hostages killed in Australia the other day, had never been taken hostage in that restaurant before and neither had ever been killed before--it was the first time!!! Randomness renders probability irrelevant, my friend. I have a buddy who has a brother that had a great job in a great part of a great town. After work, he was waiting at a bus stop when a young punk came up behind him and slit his throat as part of a gang initiation---there was no obvious gang activity in that area----what are the chances, huh???? They were 100% for him.

Again, no contention intended-----JMO, of course, I could be wrong.
Greg

gmoats �

No offense taken - reasonable people can and often do disagree. I disagree that statistics are irrelevant. We all make life and death decisions every day based on statistics and probabilities. You walk down the stairs because leaping over the railing to get to the bottom faster is likely to have undesired consequences. If I wanted to become a victim of a serious crime I expect I could easily do so within a few hours, simply by making different choices.

We agree that bad things happen to good people. I think we can also agree that even carrying with a loaded chamber, cocked, safety off, weapon drawn and finger on the trigger is the most ready state a person can be in but that people in such a mode can still become victims. We are, therefore, talking about marginal but nevertheless important issues of time. There is also more to the discussion than just whether or not a gun is loaded in the chamber � the method of carry can greatly impact the time required to bring it into play. For example, some people like the belly-band holsters that get concealed inside the pants. I�ve tried such holsters and didn�t like them because it was too difficult to get to the gun out. During cooler weather I much prefer small of the back under an unzipped sweater or jacket as access is much faster. Which would be better � one in the pants, locked and cocked but hard to get to, or one behind the back, unloaded in the chamber but much easier and faster to access? My vote is for the latter. Open carry is not necessarily the answer, either, as it immediately marks you as a threat and target to any BGs.

As to the victims of the Aurora theater shooting, having a gun would have been the important thing. Whether or not it was loaded in the chamber would have made little difference. The theater had a no gun policy but a single person with a gun could have saved many lives. Even with a loaded chamber to start, though, it is unlikely that all the victims could have been saved.

The Australia situation could also have ended very differently if someone had a gun and was willing to use it, regardless of whether or not the chamber was loaded.

Back in the early 70�s I lived in a house for about 4 months, during which time it was burglarized. It was also in a relatively high crime area. Since then I�ve lived in low-crime areas and have not had any problems. Statistics do not provide any guarantee but they do help us make intelligent decisions. If you want to become a successful corn farmer are you going to buy land in an area with a history of high yields or cheaper land in the middle of a desert that is historically too hot and dry?

I don�t carry when at home, although loaded guns are strategically placed. Would carrying cocked and locked inside the house really make me any safer? Would I really be better off doing so than carrying with an empty chamber? The reality is that now we are grandparents we are going to have to rethink where and how we place guns in the house. They will, by necessity, be more difficult and time consuming to access.

Coyote Hunter - NRA Patriot Life, NRA Whittington Center Life, GOA, DAD - and I VOTE!

No, I'm not a Ruger bigot - just an unabashed fan of their revolvers, M77's and #1's.

A good .30-06 is a 99% solution.
IC B3

Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by UPhiker
CH, WHY do you carry with an empty chamber?
Do you only carry your gun while hunting on the day that you're going to need it? Why not leave it at camp on the days that you're not going to see any game?

There has actually been one time when I left my rifle at camp and still got my game. I simply borrowed a rifle from my nephews, both of whom were carrying rifles I had lent them for the hunt.

My usual mode of carry while hunting, though, is with an empty chamber. We tend to load the chambers only when we think the chances of encountering game warrant doing so. In many cases we have watched game for lengthy periods of time (minutes to hours) before loading the chambers.

Coyote Hunter - NRA Patriot Life, NRA Whittington Center Life, GOA, DAD - and I VOTE!

No, I'm not a Ruger bigot - just an unabashed fan of their revolvers, M77's and #1's.

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Didn't anyone ever teach you to keep your booger-picker off the trigger until you're ready to fire?

It's not just keeping your finger off the trigger it's constantly having to remove and replace the gun in the holster. Sooner or later something is going to go wrong especially with these new fangled plastic guns that are all the rage.

"Self-reliance, free thinking, and wealth is anathema to both the power of the State and the Church." Derby Dude

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
gmoats �

No offense taken - reasonable people can and often do disagree. I disagree that statistics are irrelevant. We all make life and death decisions every day based on statistics and probabilities. You walk down the stairs because leaping over the railing to get to the bottom faster is likely to have undesired consequences. If I wanted to become a victim of a serious crime I expect I could easily do so within a few hours, simply by making different choices.

We agree that bad things happen to good people. I think we can also agree that even carrying with a loaded chamber, cocked, safety off, weapon drawn and finger on the trigger is the most ready state a person can be in but that people in such a mode can still become victims. We are, therefore, talking about marginal but nevertheless important issues of time. There is also more to the discussion than just whether or not a gun is loaded in the chamber � the method of carry can greatly impact the time required to bring it into play. For example, some people like the belly-band holsters that get concealed inside the pants. I�ve tried such holsters and didn�t like them because it was too difficult to get to the gun out. During cooler weather I much prefer small of the back under an unzipped sweater or jacket as access is much faster. Which would be better � one in the pants, locked and cocked but hard to get to, or one behind the back, unloaded in the chamber but much easier and faster to access? My vote is for the latter. Open carry is not necessarily the answer, either, as it immediately marks you as a threat and target to any BGs.

As to the victims of the Aurora theater shooting, having a gun would have been the important thing. Whether or not it was loaded in the chamber would have made little difference. The theater had a no gun policy but a single person with a gun could have saved many lives. Even with a loaded chamber to start, though, it is unlikely that all the victims could have been saved.

The Australia situation could also have ended very differently if someone had a gun and was willing to use it, regardless of whether or not the chamber was loaded.

Back in the early 70�s I lived in a house for about 4 months, during which time it was burglarized. It was also in a relatively high crime area. Since then I�ve lived in low-crime areas and have not had any problems. Statistics do not provide any guarantee but they do help us make intelligent decisions. If you want to become a successful corn farmer are you going to buy land in an area with a history of high yields or cheaper land in the middle of a desert that is historically too hot and dry?

I don�t carry when at home, although loaded guns are strategically placed. Would carrying cocked and locked inside the house really make me any safer? Would I really be better off doing so than carrying with an empty chamber? The reality is that now we are grandparents we are going to have to rethink where and how we place guns in the house. They will, by necessity, be more difficult and time consuming to access.

I, for one, think your points are very valid.

U
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
U

It's not just keeping your finger off the trigger it's constantly having to remove and replace the gun in the holster. Sooner or later something is going to go wrong especially with these new fangled plastic guns that are all the rage.
Does owning an AR make you evil, too? You sound like an anti--"the gun might go off by itself".

Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter

Does owning an AR make you evil, too? You sound like an anti--"the gun might go off by itself".

If owning an AR makes you evil, I�m twice damned and probably more so for getting more for my girls.

Guns don�t go off by themselves � it takes external intervention. That said, there are some important facts to consider:

1. In the history of man, no one has ever been shot with an unloaded firearm, accidently or otherwise. Period.
2. The safety often touted as the �most important safety�, the human brain, is also the one most likely to fail � and often does.
3. The more a loaded firearm is handled the more likely an accidental/unintentional/negligent discharge is likely. Whatever the cause, the results can be the same.
4. Many such discharges occur when loading, unloading, or holstering a firearm, or retrieving a firearm from a holster and bringing it into play. I suspect these actions account for the vast majority of such discharges.

G
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
G
gmoats �

No offense taken - reasonable people can and often do disagree. I disagree that statistics are irrelevant...

I, for one, think your points are very valid.

Yes, I agree��well thought thru, CH�..obviously you're no neophyte and while we've come to different conclusions, at least we've looked at the data (hopefully) with some objectivity.

Nothing that I attempted to address previously was directed at your desire to carry in Condition three��.I have two issues with empty chamber carry and only one is tactical. 1. It's become to the young, new, un-initiated and untrained a physical display of bad-assedness---like Condition Sul---it looks cool. They've seen it on the internet and it looked intimidating---kind of like in the old days on TV when the good guy had his gun pointed at the bad guy and then manually cocked the hammer to let him know that he REALLY, REALLY meant it. That obviously doesn't apply to you. 2. Condition Three ads complexity to a maneuver that desperately needs to be simplified (at the time)--without providing a correspondingly positive benefit that warrants the complexity. That can largely be overcome by extensive training, which you are in tune with hence, I have no issue with YOU wanting to carry with an empty chamber.

My comment was directed to the issue of when, and whether to carry at all. Are you safer at home than walking after dark thru the Ghetto? Statistically, probably yes; however, those statistics are irrelevant as YOUR chances of needing a gun are either 0% or 100%. Home invasions don't happen as often as street muggings, but they happen in all strata of neighborhoods at every time of year, whether the house is occupied or not. Life, like marriage, diets and life insurance is a gamble and there are no gray areas in the outcome----it's a Yoda thing, "You either do or do not, there is no try."

Regarding grandkids; I can identify. I admit that having recently moved to a location somewhat remote from mine, I've become a little cavalier about leaving a loaded gun on the night stand----bad habit, I know. IMO there are only three appropriate places for a loaded gun: locked up, in your holster or in your hand. When I am around my grandkids the only loaded guns around are in my holster and I'm always carrying---it's a sheepdog-identity thing.

I don't pretend to be the smartest guy in the room, in fact a lot of times I'm pretty dim-witted; therefore if trouble comes my way, I'm better off not have hundred different options to choose from. By carrying ALL the time I've pretty much conditioned myself to only about three options. I'm too old to fight, in too bad a condition to run; that only leaves one more option and if need be I don't want to have to stop and think, "wait a minute, am I carrying today?"

JMO, of course, I could be wrong.

Anyway, I wish you all the best and based on how well you express yourself, I know that your decisions are thought out.
Greg

The blindness from subjectivity is indistinguishable from the darkness of ignorance.
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana

I don't see how that makes me a anti-gun anything. I don't care for AR type rifle but I don't think owning one makes anyone evil.

I just know from experience that the more one handles a weapon of any type with one in the tube sooner or later a human will make a mistake and the weapon will go off. Plastic striker weapons seem to do that more often than any other type.

I just understand why some may choose not to put one in the tube.

D
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
D
Originally Posted by chlinstructor

My last recommendation would be to upgrade to one of the small 9mm compacts, which are basically the same size and feel as the PPK, in .380. My first choice in that size semi-auto would be the Kahr CM9 or the Sig Sauer Model 938 in 9mm. Both have great triggers and are very reliable, also.

I would like to second this motion, or whatever.

I am not a fan of the 380. In the past I thought it was a pretty decent cartridge, and some of the "street shootings" studies confirmed that. But as time passed and I was able to get access to stronger databases, I found that the 380 actually has a pretty poor record in actual shootings compared to any of the major service calibers.

I have also worked to some degree in LE training circles with guys who have done a LOT of ballistics testing, and have had access to their data. We're talking the ballisticians at ATK/Federal, Winchester-Western, FBI, CHP, and others. NONE of these guys endorse or carry 380 pistols. I've related on this site my experience at a LE conference a couple years back where we shot various cops' off-duty pistols into gelatin, through auto glass, through heavy clothing, etc, and all the 380 ammo we tested that day exhibited a high degree of suckage.

There is really no need to carry a 380 when multiple manufacturers make 9mm pistols that are as compact and at least as reliable as the compact 380's. You get the MUCH greater performance of the 9x19 cartridge in the same size package as most 380's, without the egregious ballistic suckage.

I carry a Kahr PM9 as my "always" gun or my BUG. The Ruger LC9 is similarly sized and to my mind equally good, as is the S&W Shield and other subcompact 9mm's.

"I'm gonna have to science the schit out of this." Mark Watney, Sol 59, Mars
D
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
D

1. In the history of man, no one has ever been shot with an unloaded firearm, accidently or otherwise. Period.
2. The safety often touted as the �most important safety�, the human brain, is also the one most likely to fail � and often does.
3. The more a loaded firearm is handled the more likely an accidental/unintentional/negligent discharge is likely. Whatever the cause, the results can be the same.
4. Many such discharges occur when loading, unloading, or holstering a firearm, or retrieving a firearm from a holster and bringing it into play. I suspect these actions account for the vast majority of such discharges.

I'm not sure what point you're trying to make with these observations. I don't think they argue well either for or against carrying your defensive firearm with a round in the chamber.

D
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
D
Regarding grandkids; I can identify. I admit that having recently moved to a location somewhat remote from mine, I've become a little cavalier about leaving a loaded gun on the night stand----bad habit, I know.

I'm curious, Greg... why is having your pistol on your nightstand while you're sleeping a bad idea?

Maybe it's just me, but I find wearing my belt & holstered gun to bed interferes with my sleep...

I don't pretend to be the smartest guy in the room, in fact a lot of times I'm pretty dim-witted; therefore if trouble comes my way, I'm better off not have hundred different options to choose from. By carrying ALL the time I've pretty much conditioned myself to only about three options. I'm too old to fight, in too bad a condition to run; that only leaves one more option and if need be I don't want to have to stop and think, "wait a minute, am I carrying today?"

I tend to agree. I've messed around with multiple carry options over the years, but have come to the basic conclusion that strongside belt carry is the best method 99% of the time. I have a cop friend who used to evaluate holsters for a gunzine, and one day he responded as backup to a call that turned into a gunfight... and the 10-15 seconds he spent trying to remember where his gun was while incoming bullets whizzed over his head and whacked into his car were not happy ones. Like many of the rest of us, he always carries his primary on his strongside belt all the time now.

Keeping loaded guns stashed around the house is an idea I've never cottoned to. My handgun is on my person or it's very close to hand when I'm not wearing it for various reasons (toilet, shower, sleeping, etc). All my other guns are locked up in the safe. That is the only form of gun control I trust.

Page 3 of 5 1 2 3 4 5

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

572 members (1234, 10gaugemag, 10Glocks, 1badf350, 1936M71, 60 invisible), 2,460 guests, and 1,371 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,192,195
Posts18,485,082
Members73,966
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.