Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
G
GreenMM Offline OP
OP Offline
G
Hello everyone,

This is my first of many posts to come. I received a great gun collection from my father. We lived in Phoenix and had a cabin in Prescott. Later he retired in Tombstone. I have some incredible pieces of gun art he picked up along the way!

I have 3 Brevex Actions with Fred Wells wildcats. They were barreled by A&M rifle co. also of Prescott. All done in the 60's. They sit in my safe and begged to be finished. I can't use all 3, what do you think these gem's should go for. I live in Wa. now and love synthetic stocks "mpi". My dad and Fred would kill me if one of them were not done in a French Walnut.

I just opened up a can of worms for my first post. Looking for some sound advice that I would have got back then and what I will get now.

Thanks,

GreenMM

Last edited by GreenMM; 12/20/14.
GB1

C
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
C
I have an MPI on one my lever guns. Love it. If you get a chance you shoould throw some pictures up. They sound like great guns, what caliber?

G
GreenMM Offline OP
OP Offline
G
Hope to get back with picture when I get home. Barreled action's not blued, or stocked. They are ready for anyones dreams or concepts.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter

Faux wood - McWoody. That's McMillans fiberglass wood imitation.

Do tell about the Fred Wells wildcat chamberings.

T
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
T
Fred Wells also made his own action. Wish I had bought one of his lefty's when I had the chance. Either way it is a very desirable action.

I would make a pair of rifles one pure classic in wood and then a twin with a synthetic stock. Which A&M clambering? Fred liked the big bores some really big so that should determine the style of rifle.

"When you disarm the people, you commence to offend them and show that you distrust them either through cowardice or lack of confidence, and both of these opinions generate hatred." Niccolo Machiavelli
IC B2

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
First off, WELCOME to 24 hour campfire!

Now to the meat of your post.... WOW! You have a real treasure! Brevex Magnum Mausers were and are some of the finest actions ever for large caliber builds. Which of the Fred Wells/Apex wildcats are they chambered for? Many of those big cartridges were ahead of their time, no gunpowders really slow burning enough to allow them to perform to thier ability. THAT, my freind, has CHANGED. And much for the better. With todays propellants out there, we are seeing a resurgnce of popularity in many of the old, big wildcats including 30/378, 7mm Mashburn Super (My deer rifles's chambering) and others.

Each of them deserves some nicely turned and checkered Walnut, but to get them going for less money if you don't have $1K per rifle to toss at them, I would turn to Boyds gunstocks and buy three of thier classic sporter stocks and pay the extra for a higher grade of wood plus already checkered and finished, and with a Limbsaver Recoil pad on each. These will still set you back only about $200 each and be a nice compliment to each rifle.

A little jealous here, but genuinley excited for you and this wonderful heritage that has been passed down to you.

I am a big cartridge wildcatting rifle nut and the resident velocity whore so feel free to message me if I can be of any help.

I really hope you get to finish these up quickly and get to hunting with them!

MARK

LOVE God, LOVE your family, LOVE your country, LIKE guns and sports.

About 2016 team "R" candidates "We definitely need a crew with a sack of balls the size of hot water bottles, bloviated estrogen leaking feel-gooders need not apply." Gunner 500
G
GreenMM Offline OP
OP Offline
G
From my fathers paperwork,

The three barreled actions are in the white and have never been fired. The barrels were fitted by Atkinson Marquart in Prescott Arizona. The actions were lightly buffed and the trigger guards and bolts were shaped by Fred Wells, also of Prescott. The barrels have a half hex recoil lugs. The the three barreled actions were ordered at the same time, in 1968. They all three matched out in balance and with shopter weight barrels.

1. Brevex Magnum Mauser barrelled action 300 Weatherby Magnum 24" barrel Model 300 Serial #160.

2. Brevex Magnum Mauser barrelled action 378/350. (.350 Weels express) 9.0 X 75 MM, 24" barrel. Model 400, Serial #404

3. Brevex Magnum Mauser barrelled action 378/400 (.400 Wells express) 10.3 X 75 MM, 24" barrel. Model 400 Serial # 415

I will take some pictures and post when I get caught up. Does anyone have any suggestions on listing them if I decide to do so? There are alot of good/great gunsmiths out there. I've just started kicking this around in my head. I hope everyone has a great holiday season. I look forward to more replies and other forums to talk about what is sitting in my safe!

D
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
D
There is some interesting information on Fred Wells here..... Boatman Blog

Looking forward to see how your rifles turn out.

TC1 Offline
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Are these actions the round top or the bridged models?

G
GreenMM Offline OP
OP Offline
G
How do I post pictures on 24hourcampfires? I haven't had alot of time to figure it out. If some can share this with me, I might be able to help someone in the future.

IC B3

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
One of the first things you would want to do is get a picture hosting site. Photobucket is a good one, and its free unless you are a large user.

Then, after you get your photos on Photobucket you will be able to copy them from there to here.

When you hit post or reply here you see a number of icons just above the space where you type your message. Notice that he fourth from the left is entitled "enter an image". When you hit that you will be provided with a place to transfer your image from Photobucket.

If you really have a lot of trouble the best way to learn it is to get on the phone with someone and have them go through it with you while you are on your computer.

S
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
S
Yes. Pictures please.

A half hex recoil lug? Pictures please.

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

162 members (160user, 1eyedmule, 2UP, 44mc, 3333vl, 308ld, 13 invisible), 1,563 guests, and 944 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,387
Posts18,469,772
Members73,931
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.