Print Thread
Hop To
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3
B
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
B
I have been thinking about getting one of my most used rifles cerakoted. It is an old blued rem 700. I have never been a fan of stainless rifles so I've always had blued in synthetic stocks.

Anyways, from the little I've read there is a spray on air dry and a baked on cerakote. I would assume the baked on is a superior product.

Is this worth doing to a rifle that sees a lot of time in the rain and snow?

How has yours held up?

What should this cost and any suggestions for a good job done.

Thank you.

HR IC

B
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
B
Excellent stuff and very durable. I'd suggest having it done. I've hunted deer and elk here with my cerakoted rifles and it's holding up very well. I just got one back from my cerakote guy a couple days ago. I went with midnight blue cerakote because it is supposed to look more like bluing. I couldn't be more happy with this coating. Prices range from $150.00 and up for a complete rifle (metal parts). There are guys here (fire) and elsewhere that do it for much more than that. Eddie F. does about the best work I've seen, but my cerakote guy comes in at a close second wink . Let me know if you want to see some pictures. I have examples of sniper grey, graphite black and now midnight blue.

Originally Posted by raybass
I try to stick with the basics, they do so well. Nothing fancy mind you, just plain jane will get it done with style.
Originally Posted by Pharmseller
You want to see an animal drop right now? Shoot him in the ear hole.

BSA MAGA
805 Offline
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
It holds up very well.

I'd contact Eddie F for the job.

B
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
B
Baked on stuff, right?

B
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
B
Generally the baked on stuff goes on the metal and the air dry goes on the stocks...

I try to stick with the basics, they do so well. Nothing fancy mind you, just plain jane will get it done with style.

BSA MAGA
IC B2

B
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
B
I got ya, saw some cerakote on Brownell's that was a spray on, air dry type

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Baking it on increases the hardness, by quite a bit. You've probably heard of baked on automotive paint jobs similar deal. The other thing about baked on is it implies the guy's got an oven which is extremely useful to help with a degreasing of the metal during prep work. The prep work as said here being the most important part of the job to get as perfect as possible a bond everywhere.

B
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
B
Originally Posted by bigswede358
I have been thinking about getting one of my most used rifles cerakoted. It is an old blued rem 700. I have never been a fan of stainless rifles so I've always had blued in synthetic stocks.

Anyways, from the little I've read there is a spray on air dry and a baked on cerakote. I would assume the baked on is a superior product.

Is this worth doing to a rifle that sees a lot of time in the rain and snow?

How has yours held up?

What should this cost and any suggestions for a good job done.

Thank you.

Bigswede, what color are you thinking about having your rifle done? No one is going to say what Eddie F. charges to cerakote a rifle?

BSA MAGA
S
SLM Offline
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
S
[quote=805]It holds up very well.

I'd contact Eddie F for the job. [/quote

+1, he's done 3 for me and have been happy with all of them.

Not to tough to look at his web site to get prices.

G
Campfire Regular
Online Happy
Campfire Regular
G
Eddie post his prices on his site

IC B3

B
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
B
Cerakote Rifle Finishes: According to Eddie's website

**Pricing below is for Remington style actions

Coat barrel in one color
$85

Coat barrel in two colors w/ contrasting flutes
$200

Coat receiver and bolt in one color
$150

Coat receiver and bolt in two different colors
$180

Coat complete barreled action and bottom metal
$200

Coat complete barreled action and bottom metal in two different colors, bolt different than receiver
$260

Coat complete barreled action and bottom metal in two different colors, bolt different than receiver w/ contrasting flutes
$375

Coat bolt only
$65

Coat scope base
$40

Coat rings with ring screws
$55

Coat Encore barreled action
$250

Winchester 70/Montana/Ruger style barreled actions
$250

Bead blast or Aluminum Oxide blast finish complete rifle
$80

Just barrel
$45

Snake skin finish on barrel
$65

Stock Painting

Single color base (cerakote)
$100

Single color base with Cerakote webbing (HS Precision/Bell and Carlson style)
$145

Stock painting camo patterns

P.O.R.

*Cerakote webbing colors are available in any Cerakote color.

BSA MAGA
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Also Hired Gun here on 24 hr does really good Work Cerakote externals and Micro Slick internals

Molan Labe
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Link to eddie's website?

B
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
B
Originally Posted by goalie
Link to eddie's website?

http://www.fosnaughcustoms.com/

Check out the pictures of his work. His attention to detail is second to none. He is also a pro at glass bedding as well...

BSA MAGA
B
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
B
Bsa,

I will probably go with a color that resembles bluing. I am going to have my pre-64 done up. My 1963 model Rem 700 Carbine 30-06. It is fastly becoming my favorite rifle for taking on walks.

B
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
B
Sounds cool. I wish I had better pics to show you of the midnight blue cerakote I just had done. The pics I have are not very good and don't represent my smiths work. He charges $150.00 for a complete barreled action. He also cerakoted a couple extra parts for me free of charge. I have his information if you want it. Here's his facebook, you can look at some pictures of the work he's done:

https://www.facebook.com/pages/Smiths-Custom-Coatings/500147146675090

Midnight blue he just did for me. He also did the bolt jeweling:
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]

BSA MAGA
B
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
B
I like the looks of that for sure. Looks like he does a really nice job.

I also thought about going with a dark green, haven't made up my mind yet.

H
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
H
If it's being done for weather protection I recommend the rifle be done inside and out. Everything but the chamber and bore. Make sure you ask because it is very common for guys to skip some of internals. Don't forget your sling swivels and studs.

"Hired Gun" Quickest and fastest all motor sand car on the planet.
3.008 at 104.8 300' of sand.

NRA Patron Life Member, Gunsmith, Instructor, Chief RSO
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Originally Posted by bsa1917hunter
Excellent stuff and very durable. I'd suggest having it done. I've hunted deer and elk here with my cerakoted rifles and it's holding up very well. I just got one back from my cerakote guy a couple days ago. I went with midnight blue cerakote because it is supposed to look more like bluing. I couldn't be more happy with this coating. Prices range from $150.00 and up for a complete rifle (metal parts). There are guys here (fire) and elsewhere that do it for much more than that. Eddie F. does about the best work I've seen, but my cerakote guy comes in at a close second wink . Let me know if you want to see some pictures. I have examples of sniper grey, graphite black and now midnight blue.

BSA,

You have a pic of that Midnight Blue? I am working on a M70 project. I have a dark McWoody on order with a red pad to bed the Kreiger-barreled action into. I wanted something that looks blued for the finish!

Edit: Nevermind-- I see the pics. Looks good. I think I will go that way.

Last edited by 1Deernut; 12/20/14.

Nut

Experience hath shewn, that even under the best forms of government those entrusted with power have, in time, and by slow operations, perverted it into tyranny.

Thomas Jefferson

B
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
B
Originally Posted by 1Deernut
Originally Posted by bsa1917hunter

BSA,

You have a pic of that Midnight Blue? I am working on a M70 project. I have a dark McWoody on order with a red pad to bed the Kreiger-barreled action into. I wanted something that looks blued for the finish!

Edit: Nevermind-- I see the pics. Looks good. I think I will go that way.

Yep. I decided to post the pics, even though they are not the best. Taken with my Garmin 550 Oregon GPS. I'll post some better ones after x-mas, if that helps...

BSA MAGA
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

115 members (10gaugemag, 1beaver_shooter, 1eyedmule, 300_savage, 007FJ, 1_deuce, 13 invisible), 1,617 guests, and 982 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,193,082
Posts18,501,635
Members73,987
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.