Hop To
Page 1 of 2 1 2
J
jmsdad Offline OP
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
J
I have a Kimber 84M Montana in jail (10day CA wait). I have a Leupold 3.5-10x40 1" scope coming too. What height talley light weight rings will clear this scope? Will lows clear or do I have to get mediums?

HR IC

V
Vek Offline
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
V
Lows

C
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
C
...and plan on trimming a little off the front screw for the front base or it will probably be bottoming out on the barrel threads, causing accuracy problems.

David

J
jmsdad Offline OP
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
J
Thanks, lows it is!

Had a couple of Montanas years ago and used lows with 2-7x33 Leupolds.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Just FYI.....You can use extra lows with up to 36mm objective diameter (I used them with Swaro Z3 3-9x36). 40mm will need lows as suggested above.

Sent from my Dingleberry Handheld Wireless
IC B2

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Lows worked with an FX-3 6x42 with enough room for a BC cap. I trimmed the front screw a tiny bit as the mounting hole is over the barrel shank as mentioned earlier.

The Talleys did crack and I don't know the root cause at this point but am leery of ever using them again on an 84m.

Link to cracked Talley

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
You cracked steel mounts on that rifle also. Something is up other than the Talleys.

Screw you! I'm voting for Trump again!

Ecc 10:2
The heart of the wise inclines to the right, but that of a fool to the 24HCF.
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Yep, that is why I said I don't know the root cause just yet. But both the Talleys and DD fit the rifle with no gaps or glaring problems.

The DD front base is THIN, at least for the Kimber. BobinNH also had a split DD so I don't think its unheard of.

The Kimber/Talley combo had hundreds of rounds through it over the past year and has been driven hard into the ground numerous times while hunting steep/slippery terrain. I have no doubt the mounts were stressed.

Its possible that the hardware was overtightened, but as I described in the link its not easy to get much leverage on the Torx key.

Still "leery" but not jumping to conclusions just yet.

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
The clearspan design of the Talley creates a 3-point bend when the hardware is tightened. There is no contact between the area under the screw and the receiver.

[Linked Image]

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Geez

Screw you! I'm voting for Trump again!

Ecc 10:2
The heart of the wise inclines to the right, but that of a fool to the 24HCF.
IC B3

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
I've had something like well over 20 sets of Talley's, including over a dozen on Kimber MT's. I've never cracked one.

Anything can fail, and I've no doubt yours did (obviously), but I'd suggest something else is up if you've broken two very different types of rings on the same rifle.

To the OP, yes lows.

To others, if you use X-lows on the 84M/L the bolt will drag on the ocular, except with the small ocular found on the compact line of Leupold's and those with the same small ocular diameter.

“Perfection is Achieved Not When There Is Nothing More to Add, But When There Is Nothing Left to Take Away” Antoine de Saint-Exupery
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Brad,

Not sure what's left since the radius of the receiver matches the mounts and screw holes appear perpendicular to the receiver. Could be a problem with the Talley alloy with my rings as someone mentioned in the other thread. Hardness test would be interesting to eliminate that variable. I'll see if I can run alloy with steel ball next week.

Jason

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Jason, would like to see that.

Again, not saying at all you didn't get a bad set of rings (anything can happen), just find it odd the same rifle swallowed two different types of ring/bases.

And I'd not stay away from Talley Lwt's based on one failure. While they can and do fail, there are far more singing their praises than the reverse.

“Perfection is Achieved Not When There Is Nothing More to Add, But When There Is Nothing Left to Take Away” Antoine de Saint-Exupery
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
I'll try to test the material on Monday if the lab techs are in next week.

Yeah, I'm not jumping to conclusions just yet with the Talleys... just leery. Most pics I recall of cracked Talleys are the caps and not the mounting portion.

There are a few things in rifledom that some people seem to have problems with and others don't...

- Bolt handles falling off Rem 700 rifles
- Talleys cracking
- Howa bolt stops failing
- X-Mark Pro triggers snapping in half

I'm sure there are others but the above examples sometimes turn into bitter arguments based on individual anecdotal evidence. Some never have a problem, others have repeat problems. Luck?

Been tempted to build a test fixture to get to the bottom of this. I'm interested in the results but not motivated to design, fabricate, test, and analyzegrin

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Originally Posted by 4th_point

Its possible that the hardware was overtightened, but as I described in the link its not easy to get much leverage on the Torx key.

You easily get all the torque you need and much more with the Torx Key. I used to figure I wasn't getting them tight using the key by hand, seems I was underestimating my strength as I could tighten and snap the screws right off which takes about 75 to 100 inch lbs of torque to break them or snap/twist the wrench off, they shouldn't be tightened more than about 40-45 inch pounds for the bases and no more than 25 for the ring tops. It's very easy to over torque them with the little wrenches that come with rings and bases.

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by bushrat
It's very easy to over torque them with the little wrenches that come with rings and bases.

I agree if using the long end of the key. Using the stubby end as instructed by Larue or US Optics (don't remember which suggested this now), its hard to really over-tighten by a large amount. I use the long end to snug a little more and that's it.

When I installed the DD on the rifle I used the method above and was within 2-3% using a torque wrench I had checked on a calibration fixture. Not saying its always this accurate, but with the DD they were definitely not over-torqued.

Edit to add: I'm not ruling out over-tightening the Talleys. I don't think its likely but I didn't check with a torque wrench. If they were over-torqued, I can't imagine them being off by much. I've done at least 15 rifles this way with no problems.

Of interest, I've been trying to collect different torque wrenches for testing. From what I've seen in the past they aren't always accurate and sometimes not even close. So if a mount is really super sensitive to fastener torque then even a good wrench may over-tighten.

Last edited by 4th_point; 12/20/14.
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by 4th_point
The clearspan design of the Talley creates a 3-point bend when the hardware is tightened. There is no contact between the area under the screw and the receiver.

[Linked Image]

Jason,
After your experience I would use a file or dremel to fit the bases to your receiver. Aluminum doesn't have much structural integrity (compared to steel) and if the mounting process "bends" the mount to fit your receiver, the aluminum has basically failed. Maybe in the case of Kimbers the bases need to be "lapped"?
Could be the issue with the DD's also, maybe your receiver is just a tad oversize.

I am continually astounded at how quickly people make up their minds on little evidence or none at all.
Jack O'Connor
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Good idea. If I use Talleys again I'll just bed them just to be safe. I'm going with Warne steel bases next and will see how they fit the receiver and go from there. May bed those too.

Not sure how best to measure the receiver. Both mounts appeared to fit perfectly without any gaps or light between the mounts and receiver. Don't see how it gets any better than that.

We do have a FARO arm at work and I could measure down to 0.0025", but firearms are now frowned upon at work so that is a no-go.

May just put some clay between the receiver and mounts to see what comes out grin

Open to other ideas for checking mount-to-receiver fit too...

Last edited by 4th_point; 12/20/14.
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by Brad
I've had something like well over 20 sets of Talley's, including over a dozen on Kimber MT's. I've never cracked one.

Anything can fail, and I've no doubt yours did (obviously), but I'd suggest something else is up if you've broken two very different types of rings on the same rifle.

To the OP, yes lows.

To others, if you use X-lows on the 84M/L the bolt will drag on the ocular, except with the small ocular found on the compact line of Leupold's and those with the same small ocular diameter.

Same experience here with Kimbers and Rem 700. Quite a few of them and no problems. For the most part, I'll go and keep going with my experience because there's nothing left unknown with first-hand experience. I know what I did and don't know what others do/did.

The ocular on the Swaro's, I thought, were pretty large compared to some others. But the Montana I used the extra lows on has one of the titanium bolt handles....so that might have something to do with the clearance?? Not sure.

Sent from my Dingleberry Handheld Wireless
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
257, you may be right about the titanium handle. I had one and IIRC it was of smaller diameter. If that's the case, it's likely the best (and maybe only) argument in favor of putting one on an 84 MT.

Regarding the Talleys... I always bed mine to the receiver top in JB Weld. JB's is not an overly "hard" epoxy and a light kiss to the rings with a Benzomatic torch will soften the stuff sufficiently to back the base screws back out and break the bond between bases and receiver. The JB's fills the "Talley Void" and creates, what is in practical terms, is a monolithic mount.

Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

86 members (10Glocks, 35, BamBam, 10gaugemag, AnthonyB, bbassi, 8 invisible), 1,270 guests, and 933 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,192,748
Posts18,495,248
Members73,977
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.