-->
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 2 of 2 1 2
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
I agree. In Canada it's a different story, your American they assume you have money therefore they will hit you all day long with petty things that add up to big money at least the area where I hunt!

There rules you have to abide by if you want to play. I have been tempted to stop hunting in Canada merely because of that but I enjoy the scenery and the Canucks.

I will relay a story that cost a guide a client in Canada. A novice hunter shot his first bear. Bear camp there they cut off the male anatomy and give it to the hunter. Apparently some hunters have it "stuffed"? The guy was drinking in camp bear was cleaned/tagged/put on ice. The warden showed up and checked his tag and asked if he had any bear parts with him? He said NO. Unknown to him the guide had tossed the male anatomy in the back of the tailgate of his truck. The warden found it with a dog and immediately accused him of lying. He wrote him a $500.00 dollar fine on the spot. The guy paid the fine and never returned to Canada. The guide explained what had happened and he was responsible, but the guy still got the fine and that was the end of that. Another law there is you must have a gun case when leaving the woods after shooting light. It makes me unhappy when good people doing the right thing get caught on a technicality that is meant to catch the bad guys.

GB1

T
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
T
Originally Posted by Esox357
Laws are different everywhere. Watched guys cut a slit where the tendon is in the leg and place it in there as well.

That is how we have to tag here in Alberta, same side as proof of sex is attached too. Slip wire through slit and fold tag over the wire. Alberta tags come with a piece of wire to use as well as the adhesive tag. Must be tagged immediately.

Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
Used to have to attach tag through slit in rear quarter between the tendon and bone of animal here in Missouri when we had adhesive tags. Several years ago adhesive went away and they wanted us to tie it to the animal, I don't think it mattered where as long as it was attached until the animal was checked in, I wrapped tag around antler and secured it with electrical tape on bucks, used a zip tie to rear leg on smoothies. Now we still have tags with no adhesive but as long as you are in presence of the animal your tag just needs notched with kill date but as soon as you leave the animal the tag must be attached to the carcass. I am sure the are loop holes with this system as well.

The last time that bear ate a lawyer he had the runs for 33 days!
H
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
H
Here in TN, you are no longer required to tag a deer, as long as you have a valid license. The deer must be checked in by the end of the day, but you can do so online rather than physically going to a check station. TWRA even came out with a smartphone app that you can check-in with, and they send a confirmation number to your phone once check-in is completed.

While it's true that all liberals are crazy people, not all crazy people are liberals.
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
This thread just goes to show how many different regs there are concerning tagging and transporting game in different states.

More than once I've had to spend a few hours reading the regs to be comfortable enough to actually go out and shoot something without fear of violating a unique state law.

IC B2

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Our tags in Michigan are a sticker style, I cut a chunk of thin plastic (wallet size) punch a hole and tape the tag to it which is in turn tied with a zip tie.

[Linked Image]

It�s a magazine not a clip......

Advice is seldom welcome, and those who need it the most, like it the least.�
- Lord Chesterfield. 1750
M
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
M
Our tags are 3 piece; one for the head/antlers, one for the meat and one for the hide. No matter if you are transporting whole, or any piece separately its got your name on it.

Life begins at 40. Recoil begins at "Over 40" Coincidence? I don't think so.
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
I usually just tuck the tag under their collar.

V
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
V
As someone said earlier we no long have to tag deer in Virginia. We must "notch" a tag at the place of the kill, the tag is attached to our license. When access to a phone is available we call in the kill and get a check number that we write on the notched tag.

When we were required to attach a tag to the animal at the kill site I would use a safety pin to attach the folded tag deep inside the animals ear. this assured the tag would not be lost when moving the animal.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by Tracks
I usually just tuck the tag under their collar.

Hahahaha!! Good one smile

It�s a magazine not a clip......

Advice is seldom welcome, and those who need it the most, like it the least.�
- Lord Chesterfield. 1750
IC B3

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Very cool. I hope that Nebraska will jump on the automated tag check in? They have an automated system in place but will not use it during the "firearm" deer season there from my understanding? I had to take the deer to a check station and have a medal issued tag placed on the deer via the game commission. Not a huge deal since we have always had to do it but it would expedite the process if we could use the automated system.

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Originally Posted by forpest

...insert the brass you used to shoot the deer.

I do this. Roll the tag up, stick it in the case, run the knife blade under the hide on a leg and insert the case.

How many obama supporters does it take to change a light bulb? None, they prefer to remain in the dark.

The single biggest problem in communication is the illusion that it has taken place.

George Bernard Shaw

~Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla~
V
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
V
Kawi: I attach my tags to the rear leg.
First I properly cut and sign (when need be) the tags and then I place them in a heavy sandwich size zip lock bag and then tape the closed up bag to the leg - with many wraps!
I have never lost a tag using this method and its easy for the wardens and game biologist to remove and read said tags.
Hold into the wind
VarmintGuy

Page 2 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

587 members (007FJ, 160user, 1eyedmule, 10gaugeman, 1lessdog, 10gaugemag, 57 invisible), 2,574 guests, and 1,306 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,476
Posts18,471,546
Members73,936
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.