Page 1 of 2 1 2
R
RevMike Offline OP
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
R
Guys:

There's not "Clothing" forum, and since this one gets the most traffic with the most opinions - all totally free! - here goes.

My next door neighbor used to run hunting retriever trials. Several years ago she found herself in Alabama at a trial when the weather turned bad. She went into a sporting good store and bought a brand new Columbia Quad parka. She wore it once, maybe twice...but I think her golden retriever used it for a bed more than a few times. Two weeks ago she gave it to me.

I've washed it a couple of times (tag says it's ok and 'not' to dry clean), separated the parka from the liner and have hung both in the wind and sun for several days, and there's still a pretty strong odor of golden retriever. Now please don't misunderstand: I used to raise and hunt with Chessies, so I have nothing against the smell of wet dog. As a matter of fact, my old J60 Land Cruiser absolutely wafted of it as I drove down the road. But it tends to spook game.

So, 'fire sages, any idea how to get the smell back to neutral? Even scent killing sprays aren't working.

Mike

"An archer sees how far he can be from a target and still hit it, a bowhunter sees how close he can get before he shoots." It is certainly easy to use that same line of thinking with firearms. -- Unknown
GB1

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Try washing it with baking soda.

R
RevMike Offline OP
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
R
That's a thought.

"An archer sees how far he can be from a target and still hit it, a bowhunter sees how close he can get before he shoots." It is certainly easy to use that same line of thinking with firearms. -- Unknown
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Spray liberally with Febreze

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
then wait 6 months for the Febreze smell to go away grin

"...the designer of the .270 Ingwe cartridge!..."

IC B2

W
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
W
Dont spray with febreze.

Make a mixture of white vinegar and water. Spray and let evaporate.

Or

put in a bag with baking soda at the bottom, and close tightly and wait.

Or

Go to Home Depot, and find something called Odoban. It is not a odor masker, it is a dissolver. Spray and let air dry.

Barring that, toss if still stinks.

Last edited by WillARights; 12/24/14.

Trump HAD the World, ", Trump saw our children, "
Trump saw a way to make a brighter day so he started giving
There was a choice he was making, he was saving our own lives
Its true he made a brighter day for you and me. --Trump WINS 2016
L
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
L
Find a dry cleaners that does disater restoration of textiles and have them put it in their ozone room for a few days.

R
RevMike Offline OP
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
R
Originally Posted by VernAK
Spray liberally with Febreze

I tried that one. No good. But thanks.

C
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
C
spray with hydrogen peroxide. But first test an inside spot for colorfastness. Dilute the HP if necessary.

R
RevMike Offline OP
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
R
These are all good options. I have nothing to lose since I don't have a dime in it. I'm gonna give them a try. It'll either neutralize the smell or turn it into an environmental hazard.

IC B3

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
As a last resort, make a dog bed out of it.

Good luck, and Merry Christmas!

Nifty-250

"If you don't know where you're going, you may wind up somewhere else".
Yogi Berra
R
RevMike Offline OP
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
R
Ha! Thanks!! cry

And a Merry Christmas to you as well.

U
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
U
no one's mentioned it yet, but I've had good results with soaking in Coca-cola followed by Dawn dish soap.

I was part of a rescue attempt years ago on a helicopter-into-a-frozen-lake thing. Got completely soaked in Jet-A.

the above saved both the parka and the pants I was wearing at the time (the boots "melted" )

Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
Try a product called " Kids and Pets" Kmart and Albertsons were both selling it....

"...the left considers you vermin, and they'll kill you given the chance..." Bristoe
R
RevMike Offline OP
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
R
No residual odor?

R
RevMike Offline OP
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
R
Thanks, Ingwe. I figured you'd just wonder what I was complaining about!! grin

U
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
U
no. I had little hope when I got home but 24 hours each x 3 Coke changes did it.

still wearing that Jacket

R
RevMike Offline OP
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
R
Thanks. As I said, I have nothing to lose.

P
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
P
Wash in washer w/a bottle of hydrogen peroxide...yes a complete bottle. Will not harm or color fade the garment. It will take the smell out. After washing, hang outside to air dry. powdr

R
RevMike Offline OP
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
R
Got it. Thanks.

Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

167 members (308xray, 1_deuce, 673, 2500HD, 01Foreman400, 444afic, 17 invisible), 1,396 guests, and 977 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,194,090
Posts18,522,085
Members74,026
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.