Print Thread
Hop To
Page 3 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 6
K
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
K
[Linked Image]
This one is alive and well, Weatherby MKV custom from Palozza Precision in 375 Ruger.

GB1

P
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
P
One of the ways I have some familiarity with what works and what doesn't regarding trustworthy rifles is my experience working with the Forest Service and being around the variety of .375s they issue to field crews for bear protection.

These rifles are outside constantly from about May through October, regardless of the weather since they're work rifles. They're often carried by people who aren't exactly cleaning enthusiasts so it's possible to get a couple years worth of wear inflicted on a gun in a few months. Because they're work rifles, they're not babied. They get carried through some fairly nasty conditions, to the point that some folks have been known to tie surveyor flagging through the upper sling swivel so the rifle can be quickly located when its set down. Here's a brief rundown.

Remington XCR: Sucky. The most eagerly rusting stainless rifle ever apparently. Box trigger turns into a lair for little rust monsters who eagerly seize it up. Extraction and ejection get iffy over time as well. This rifle actually has a sensible, lightweight barrel profile for a gun to be carried alot. Light barrel is not helpful however. More weight is needed for when rifle becomes a mere club.

Winchester Pre-64 and Post-64 Classic: Excellent. The gun of choice for many. Best overall reliability and easy to fix when something does go wrong. The two problem areas are mag box springs and bolt stop springs, both of which are easily repaired. Barrel profile on the Classics is not appreciated. Seems Winchester didn't want to wear out their barrel profiling machine.

Winchester Post-64 push feed: Mixed. Generally okay. Trigger design is very helpful. Extraction never seemed to be an issue but like the Remington, ejection issues develop over time, to the point that cases aren't thrown clear but rather just dribble out of the action. Replacement plungers and springs help. Same occasional issues with mag springs and bolt stop springs as the other Winchesters. Barrel alone weighs 12 pounds.

Browning A Bolt: Not trustworthy. Trigger issues. Most people attempted to keep away from it.

Mark X Mauser: Good generally, but without maintenance the triggers will seize up. Somehow less prone to this than the Remingtons however.

There are more Winchesters than anything else in inventory it seems. No Rugers due to ammo compatability issues.

Last edited by pabucktail; 12/27/14.
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Interesting post - thanks.

Not a real member - just an ordinary guy who appreciates being able to hang around and say something once in awhile.

Happily Trapped In the Past (Thanks, Joe)

Not only a less than minimally educated person, but stupid and out of touch as well.
B
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
B
Originally Posted by Jim in Idaho
Oh, good, a chance to use these pictures again!

[Linked Image]

In case it's not obvious, this is an extractor that wouldn't extract. The same rifle that this came out of had a problem with the bolt stop - it wouldn't always stop the bolt. You'd pull it back to load a round and it would come all the way out of the receiver. A new bolt stop and bolt stop spring fixed that.

[Linked Image]

It's not that I hate Remingtons, I've owned more M700's that all other models combined and two my most favorite current rifles are Model 700's. I just don't romanticize reality or pin my ego to possessions and claim that things that happen don't happen 'cause, ya know, if my stuff is bad then I must be less of a man.

Remingtons can break. Not many do, but they provide opportunities for Mr. Murphy that some other rifles don't.

I think "Mr. Murphy" sold me all of the Remington rifles I've owned. 700's, 722's and 788. All had extraction issues, some had bolt stop problems (they worked most of the time, but really threw you for a loop when the bolt would come out of the receiver when you were extracting a fired case) and one 700 liked to go bang all by itself. That was a brand new rifle with no modifications done to it. The best Remington 700 I ever owned was a c prefix 22-250 that I sold here. That one never gave me a bit of trouble. I actually miss that little gem. I've never had or whitnessed a Ruger m77 with these issues. Furthermore, I've never seen a Ruger m77 375 Ruger in these parts either. I guess they are more prevalent in AK or Africa?? Nothing wrong with them if you like the short fat cases and losing capacity: 1 less cartridge in the mag box. Most H&H's I've had experience with (the old ones that is, Winchesters and sporterized mausers/whitworths and m1917's..) held 4 in the magazine. However, the true beauty in the Hawkeye is in the fact that they also make a left hand action for those guys that are in their right minds whistle . The Hawkeye African is a very attractive and functional rifle as well. I'd buy one if I ever got rid of my Winchester model 70 375 H&H. Don't count on that happening anytime soon though grin

Originally Posted by raybass
I try to stick with the basics, they do so well. Nothing fancy mind you, just plain jane will get it done with style.
Originally Posted by Pharmseller
You want to see an animal drop right now? Shoot him in the ear hole.

BSA MAGA
B
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
B
Originally Posted by pabucktail
One of the ways I have some familiarity with what works and what doesn't regarding trustworthy rifles is my experience working with the Forest Service and being around the variety of .375s they issue to field crews for bear protection.

These rifles are outside constantly from about May through October, regardless of the weather since they're work rifles. They're often carried by people who aren't exactly cleaning enthusiasts so it's possible to get a couple years worth of wear inflicted on a gun in a few months. Because they're work rifles, they're not babied. They get carried through some fairly nasty conditions, to the point that some folks have been known to tie surveyor flagging through the upper sling swivel so the rifle can be quickly located when its set down. Here's a brief rundown.

Remington XCR: Sucky. The most eagerly rusting stainless rifle ever apparently. Box trigger turns into a lair for little rust monsters who eagerly seize it up. Extraction and ejection get iffy over time as well. This rifle actually has a sensible, lightweight barrel profile for a gun to be carried alot. Light barrel is not helpful however. More weight is needed for when rifle becomes a mere club.

Winchester Pre-64 and Post-64 Classic: Excellent. The gun of choice for many. Best overall reliability and easy to fix when something does go wrong. The two problem areas are mag box springs and bolt stop springs, both of which are easily repaired. Barrel profile on the Classics is not appreciated. Seems Winchester didn't want to wear out their barrel profiling machine.

Winchester Post-64 push feed: Mixed. Generally okay. Trigger design is very helpful. Extraction never seemed to be an issue but like the Remington, ejection issues develop over time, to the point that cases aren't thrown clear but rather just dribble out of the action. Replacement plungers and springs help. Same occasional issues with mag springs and bolt stop springs as the other Winchesters. Barrel alone weighs 12 pounds.

Browning A Bolt: Not trustworthy. Trigger issues. Most people attempted to keep away from it.

Mark X Mauser: Good generally, but without maintenance the triggers will seize up. Somehow less prone to this than the Remingtons however.

There are more Winchesters than anything else in inventory it seems. No Rugers due to ammo compatability issues.

Great post pabucktail. Thanks for sharing...

Originally Posted by raybass
I try to stick with the basics, they do so well. Nothing fancy mind you, just plain jane will get it done with style.
Originally Posted by Pharmseller
You want to see an animal drop right now? Shoot him in the ear hole.

BSA MAGA
IC B2

D
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
D
pabucktail,

Have you any similar experience with the Ruger platform in general, not necessarily related to the 375 cartridge? I'd be interested in hearing your observations.

C
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
C
Originally Posted by bsa1917hunter
I think "Mr. Murphy" sold me all of the Remington rifles I've owned.

Actually Mr. Barnum heads up the sales team, Mr. Murphy is in charge of design and production. grin

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Originally Posted by DakotaDeer
The Remington 700 XCR II in 375H&H would make one heck of an affordable hunting rifle. I think it would be in the same ballpark $-wise as the Ruger African/Alaskan.

When you buy one and its first loads with 260 Accu Bonds go sub MOA its easier to like.

P
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
P
I have two hawkeyes, a 6.8 and a .358 that have both been just fine and are quite accurate. I think ruger is really the only choice these days for a factory-new working rifle. I've heard of feeding issues with the .375 ruger and hornady ammo, but I don't have any experience with it myself. I dislike the small size of the ruger safety and the fact that you need a small nail or pin to strip the bolt. Other than that they're just fine.

M
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
M
Sample of one, but I couldn't get my Hawkeye .375 to jam, with either spitzer or roundnose loads.

“Montana seems to me to be what a small boy would think Texas is like from hearing Texans.”
John Steinbeck
IC B3

B
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
B
My Ruger Alaskan .375 Ruger will feed empties.

P
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
P
My Alaskan 375 Ruger fed a little funky at first. I replaced the mag spring and it started feeding like a fat guy at a hot dog eating contest.

R
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
R
Originally Posted by prairie_goat
Originally Posted by reelman
I see no benefit of the Ruger 375 over the H&H unless you only want to use a Ruger rifle. Winchester, Remington and most other bolt action "standard" actions work just fine with the H&H.

Except that the 375 Ruger is chambered in a number of fairly inexpensive rifle, thus making it more available to the masses. The 375 Ruger is the 9.3x62 of the 21st century.

What are the inexpensive rifles in 375 Ruger? I would think that any rifle maker would be able to turn out a 375H&H for the same price as a 30/06 especially Rem or Win since it would only take a couple parts of different dimensions that they already make. Why both of them only choose to offer the H&H in their more expensive versions is beyond me.

P
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
P
Savage, Howa, and until recently Ruger (I wouldn't place their Guide Gun in the inexpensive category). Though pretty decent deals can certainly be had on Ruger 375s - CDNN has good prices on a few as I write this.

S
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
S
It was never alive.

Originally Posted By: P_Weed

I never met a gun I didn't like.

SEdge,

I have an AMT Hardballer I can fix you up with.
R
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
R
The 376 Steyr killed it.

TRUMP- GABBARD 2024
B
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
B
I see the ammo on some store shelves....nothing like 375H&H but it's out there in some places.

I doubt the cartridge is dead but replacing a world wide standard like the 375H&H is not going to happen over night; or even in the span of a few years. If it happens at all it will take decades as there are simply too many rifles out there in 375H&H,and ammo is too well distributed.

Not only that, but there are other obstacles to wide spread popularity I can think of....some government imposed in countries that allow their citizens only so many rifles and cartridges.

An African chap who may only be allowed X number of rifles is going to be less inclined to purchase some new cartridge just for a perceived ballistic advantage if he already has a perfectly good rifle in 375H&H. That's a novelty and luxury unique to America.

Besides, we really don't know shidt about designing dangerous game rifles and cartridges; if we do it,its mostly an accident because we don't have much in the way of truly dangerous game...All we want is higher pressures and higher velocities,( calling both "improvements"), tiny groups, and cheap prices to snipe harmless animals at great distances.

Closing in on truly dangerous animals routinely is a vague concept to most of us. It's hard to conjure up a reason for something as potent as a 375 Ruger unless we live in bear country.Not many Americans are that lucky.

This should stir up the troops on a Sunday morning. grin

The 280 Remington is overbore.

The 7 Rem Mag is over bore.
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by BCSteve
My Ruger Alaskan .375 Ruger will feed empties.

Mine to. I've spent a fair bit of time with 2 Ruger 375's. They have both been very accurate and problem free. My latest is a SS 22" barrel with laminated stock. It looks like a SS African with the Ruger laminated stock. Its the only one I've ever seen - and I bought it. I really like the 22" barrel. It balances well, points well, and recoil is tolerable. I like them.

I have a load with 300 gr Horn and Varget than moves along at 2400. It is very accurate and recoil isn't any more than my 35 Whelen - another SS Ruger Hawkeye with 22" barrel. Ruger has a winner in all forms of the Hawkeye.

Adversity doesn't build character, it reveals it.
M
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
M
reelman,

The inexpensive .375 Ruger is the Alaskan model, stainless with a synthetic stock, that sells for $800-something new. This is a pretty good deal, since it comes with decent iron sights and Ruger scope rings. It's also a controlled-round-feed action, with a rugged "open" style trigger. All of this is why the rifle was an immediate hit in Alaska, though it wouldn't be in Wisconsin, or any of the other 49 United States. (This is one reason most of us don't see much .375 Ruger ammo on local shelves, though as I mentioned in an earlier post on this thread, in 2009 I saw .375 Ruger ammo in many out-of-the-way stores, only two years after it was introduced.)

While it is indeed relatively easy for Remington or Savage to offer a .375 H&H for the same price, neither of those bolt actions has the combination of CRF and a rugged, fairly foolproof trigger offered in the Ruger. The only mass-produced American CRF action suitable for the .375 H&H is the Model 70 Winchester, and they are not offered in an $800 stainless/synthetic model. Oh, and the new Winchester trigger isn't as rugged or weatherproof as the old model's, or Ruger's.

Once in a while you can find a used Mark X Mauser in .375 H&H for $800, but that would be an exceptionally good price. They're also not stainless, and also don't have the simple, rugged Ruger trigger.

“Montana seems to me to be what a small boy would think Texas is like from hearing Texans.”
John Steinbeck
B
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
B
Originally Posted by GeorgiaBoy
I have seen some guys necking down the Ruger 375 to 7mm and calling it the 7 LRM. Every thing I have read leads me to believe it to be a very good wildcat.

What about the Ruger 375? Is it relegated to novelty? If so, why do you think. Similar ballistics to the 375 H&H but in a standard length action and could be had in 20 and 24" barrels (I think). Anyone seeing the 375 Ruger on store shelves?
...........Just because some dealers don't have 375 Ruger rifles, brass and/or factory ammo on their shelves, does not mean in any way that this cartridge is dead. They all can always be easily ordered.

Has Ruger dis-continued chambering the round? No...Is 375 Ruger brass still available? Yes.

A cartridge dies when a few events take place. It is NO longer being chambered by any rifle maker, there is no factory ammo available and no brass available for reloading.

375 Ruger isn't going anywhere.

28 Nosler,,,,300WSM,,,,338-378 Wby,,,,375 Ruger

Page 3 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 6

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

356 members (160user, 17CalFan, 1badf350, 1lesfox, 10ring1, 12344mag, 33 invisible), 2,108 guests, and 1,085 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,194,451
Posts18,528,898
Members74,033
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.