Hop To
Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4
G
g5m Offline OP
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
G
After many years of puttering around with 5.56 Ar's I'm thinking of getting into the 308's. There are a lot of posts and threads about reliability problems. I really don't want to play around with reliability problems if I can avoid it.
And, I'll be looking at an entry level rifle, not a Knight or Larue, etc.
Any advice from you all who are experienced in this area?

A local dealer who has a good many high and low dollar rifles recommended getting started with a Bushmaster MOE which he said has been more accurate and reliable than many others.

Thanks for any help.

Retired cat herder.

GB1

M
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
M
Smith & Wesson M&P10

Eat Fish, Wear Grundens, Drink Alaskan.
T
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
T
I'd go with the Ruger 762. Glenn Zediker is a High Power guru of note, he's opined that MANY have tried to use AR10's for that COF and they broke a lot. I think the piston may actually be accomplishing something with that rifle, unlike a 5.56 AR

G
g5m Offline OP
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
G
Thanks. There are things-details about each that I like.

Retired cat herder.

J
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
J
After the addition of an adjustable gas block my DPMS LR308 gen II has been completely reliable, accurate, and easy on the brass. I have a 24" heavy barreled LR308.

The geissele high speed NM trigger and syrac ord adjustable gas block where mandatory upgrades.

[Linked Image]

IC B2

T
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
T
Was that Gen II overgassed like JimmyP's.

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Reliable Accurate Affordable

Pick two.

John 8:12 "I am the light of the world. Whoever follows me will never walk in darkness, but will have the light of life."
J
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
J
I had an MP10, works 1.5 - 2 MOA gun call smith ask them what you should expect. DPMS Gen 2 Hunter, not even one box of shells thru it, sent it back they returned my money, could have just been that one gun, lots of people like em ask rickiD how his is working, Ruger 762, heavy, must replace the trigger, shoots 1MOA or better, works.

G
g5m Offline OP
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
G
Thanks for the posts.

Retired cat herder.

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Build your own and you can make it reliable as you need.

whistle grin wink cool crazy shocked blush tired sleep

Wipe your mouth, there's still a tiny bit of bullshit around your lips.
IC B3

G
g5m Offline OP
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
G
I looked into that. Have built AR's as needed/wanted since the mid 1970's and there were specs on parts.

Looking at the 308 I could just see dropping cash on expensive parts that weren't compatible so put the idea of building on the back burner.

Retired cat herder.

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Do some research. The only thing different is the upper and lowers. You have the Armalite and DPMS designs. Lots of help at the fire.

F
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
F
I have been having really good luck with my CORE 30 LR TAC. Runs about 1/2 moa with hunting bullets and a touch better with match bullets. Comes ready to go with hard case and PMags. Plus CORE has a no BS life time warranty and is ran buy good people.

J
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
J
if you can stomach a gun that with 20 round magazine (full up), 24 ounces of scope/mount, plus sling with a full up weight of about 11 pounds plus the cost of a replacement trigger, your good to go with the Ruger. I am happy/surprised at how well it shoots, being a piston gun and all. Turns out I am also kind of keen on the piston design in the thing, its function is real positive, kind of AK'ish.

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Originally Posted by Oklahoma
Build your own and you can make it reliable as you need.

+1

Yes, if you understand what makes them work. They are not AR-15's and way too many people, manufacturers included, cannot grasp that.

This one runs like a Kenyan.

[Linked Image]M00_3761 by wareagle700, on Flickr

Last edited by CBMJR; 01/01/15.

John 8:12 "I am the light of the world. Whoever follows me will never walk in darkness, but will have the light of life."
W
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
W
What kind of brass life are y'all getting with the 308's?

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Same brass life as my bolt guns. It really depends on how hot you are loading.

W
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
W
That's a very nice looking rifle you have there. Would you mind sharing some specs, particularly the barrel?

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Thanks, part list below:

MEGA 308 receivers
17" Lilja barrel (rifle length gas) I had it cut back from 20".
SLR Sentry gas block
SLR handguard
JP LMOS (bolt carrier group)
JP Silent Captured Spring (recoil spring/buffer)
Geissele SSA-E trigger
SlencerCo Specwar brake
Nightforce scope and mount
KAC 45 degree irons

Last edited by CBMJR; 01/01/15.

W
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
W
Thanks, I may be looking back at this thread when making a parts list..

G
g5m Offline OP
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
G
Yes, thanks.

Retired cat herder.

J
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
J
Its my understanding that almost all the Gen IIs are over gassed. I was having problems and damaged brass before the addition of the syrac ord. adjustable gas block. I really like the syrac gas block because it has a ball detent on the adjustent screw and is less likely to come out of adjustment. After a very simple adjustment I now have my DPMS gen II running like a top and brass is undamaged after firing. It still flings them out a few feet but not the half mile it used to.

I�m pretty impressed with my gen II. If they had uppers available for it I would build a second one in 6.5 creedmoor, or maybe a fast twist 243.

J
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
J
several on here mentioned the adjustable gas block to me on the Gen2 hunter, my concern was that on my gun the issue was ejector damage and not extractor damage. It put all the brass in a neat pile at about 3:30 or 4 but some of it was bad torn up with twin holes bored into the back of the case and a half moon bend between them.

This one shoots fine "out of the box" even with the crappy Ruger trigger. My first outing with it is below. The top hole in bottom target is before I cranked my elevation down shooting 150 BTSP's over varget, the second 3 shot group is WW 150 powerpoints. I have repeated this a few times now and the gun is consistent, these are not "best" hand picked groups. It sucks that it weights almost 11 pounds full up and 20 rounds.

[Linked Image]

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
The Ruger is definitey one of the more attractive options for .308's under $2,000. POF is another piston dirven .308 that is capable of very good accuracy around the $2K range. The one's I've shot would shoot MOA with match ammo. I wouldn't hesistate to use either one.

Last edited by CBMJR; 01/02/15.

Campfire Greenhorn
Campfire Greenhorn
@Josh Sorrenson - An adjustable gas block will solve most cycle of operation issues on a large frame AR rifle. Having experimented with just about all of them, the Syrac Ordnance Gen II is the clear standout.

@jimmyp - Do you have Gen II DPMS that's damaging your brass? If this is the case, you'll want to install a heavier buffer.

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Originally Posted by KneezeInTheBreeze
Syrac Ordnance Gen II is the clear standout.

I thought the same thing before I got the SLR. wink

Last edited by CBMJR; 01/02/15.

Campfire Greenhorn
Campfire Greenhorn
Originally Posted by CBMJR

Really... What feature or operational capability of the SLR puts it ahead of the Syrac?

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular

Really... What feature or operational capability of the SLR puts it ahead of the Syrac?

My apologies, I noticed the Gen II part after I posted. My experience was with the Syrac Gen I which was a bit tedious to adjust and would freeze up as carbon built up. The clamp on version was also a bit big and would only fit under a few handguards. The Gen II may have resolved all those issues. If so, I am sure it ranks right up there with the SLR.

R
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
R
Thanks, part list below:

MEGA 308 receivers
SLR Sentry gas block
SLR handguard
Geissele SSA-E trigger
SlencerCo Specwar brake
KAC 45 degree irons

Is that recoil spring/buffer considered heavy, (for a buffer?)

I put an 18" barrel on my DPMS and tuning the new adjustable gas block has not been as successful as I thought it would be.

Done in Convention by the Unanimous Consent of the States present the Seventeenth Day of September in the Year of our Lord one thousand seven hundred and Eighty seven.
R
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
R
Jimmy;

Any negative reaction to the 16" barrel?

Done in Convention by the Unanimous Consent of the States present the Seventeenth Day of September in the Year of our Lord one thousand seven hundred and Eighty seven.
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Originally Posted by Robert_White
Thanks, part list below:

MEGA 308 receivers
SLR Sentry gas block
SLR handguard
Geissele SSA-E trigger
SlencerCo Specwar brake
KAC 45 degree irons

Is that recoil spring/buffer considered heavy, (for a buffer?)

I put an 18" barrel on my DPMS and tuning the new adjustable gas block has not been as successful as I thought it would be.

No, it is made to work with the JP lightweight bolt carrier group. What problems are you having with tuning the gas block?

R
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
R
I have an adjustable gas block made "in house" by precision firearms in WV.

Trying to find the sweet spot seems impossible. Cannot tune it so the brass does not slam the deflector and get that crease in it every time. I glued the velcro doodad like y'all suggested. Next step I guess is a heavy buffer and just slow it all down. Or swap gas block.

Campfire Greenhorn
Campfire Greenhorn

Whose gas block are you using? There are really only two gas blocks on the market that are nearly linear when it comes to metering gas. They are the Syrac and SLR.

Last edited by KneezeInTheBreeze; 01/02/15.
R
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
R

Whose gas block are you using? There are really only two gas blocks on the market that are nearly linear when it comes to metering gas. They are the Syrac and SLR.

These folks are real nice people; he made the gas block but I don't see it on his web-page:
http://www.precisionfirearms.com/43.html

I had a suspicion that it was something along the lines of what you are saying about being "nearly-linear"

I had an instinctive thought that metering the gas was not as simple as might be thought.

R
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
R
Just checked out the SLR website. VERY good prices on everything.

Thanks y'all; I had never heard of SLR before.

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular

What makes these 2 gas blocks so much better than any of the other adjustable gas blocks on the market??? I am running a Wilson adjustable block and it has worked great.

http://shopwilsoncombat.com/Adjusta...-Straight-Gas-Tube/productinfo/TR-AGB-C/

Last edited by Oklahoma; 01/02/15.

J
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
J
No, it's loud but I wear pro ears gold when I shoot it.

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular

What makes these 2 gas blocks so much better than any of the other adjustable gas blocks on the market??? I am running a Wilson adjustable block and it has worked great.

http://shopwilsoncombat.com/Adjusta...-Straight-Gas-Tube/productinfo/TR-AGB-C/

They have locking detents so screws can't back out or loosen yet they adjust with just one wrench like the others.

Campfire Greenhorn
Campfire Greenhorn

The photo below shows three metering screws. Syrac Ordnance on the left, SLR in the middle and JP on the right.

The JP is just an off the shelf cup tip set screw. The threaded body of the screw simply can't meter gas as effectively. When tuning a JP style block, you start with screw closed and back it out until the rifle completes a cycle of operation. These style gas blocks are either on or off given a specific cartridge. Once you hit the adjustment sweet spot, moving the screw in or out changes nothing (non-linear). I have no idea what type of screw the Wilson variant uses but I wouldn't be surprised if it were the same as a JP.

The Syrac and SLR variants work better because they have a machined metering surface. The metering screw on these models are precise enough that you can walk the ejection pattern through about 90 degrees. I'm prefer the Syrac varaint over the SLR for a few reasons:

1. The Syrac screw is purpose built whereas the SLR screw is just a turned down set screw.

2. The Syrac screw has four metering detents compared to the SLR which has three. This allows for more precise metering.

3. I'm not fond of the SLR leaf spring retention for the detent ball. It may be subjective but it's more likely to fail than the Syrac.

[Linked Image]

G
g5m Offline OP
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
G
[quote=jimmyp]....

.... I have repeated this a few times now and the gun is consistent, these are not "best" hand picked groups. It sucks that it weights almost 11 pounds full up and 20 rounds.

It's unloaded weight is reported to be 8.6 lbs. The DPMS G2 AP4 is a little over a pound lighter per manufacturer's specs.

I wonder how light you can expect to go for a loaded 308 AR.

Retired cat herder.

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
I am not sure how moving the JP screw in or out would not change anything. If it is closed and then opened until it cycles which would be the sweet spot then how come turning it in or out from there isn't going to change anything. So if you use the JP and find the sweet spot for a certain round but then you changed the to a different round your saying you can't reset the JP block.

Last edited by Oklahoma; 01/03/15.

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
The only thing I see that the SLR & Syrac has that the other don't is the dent adjustment which would limit the adjustment to the dent spots.

W
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
W
The only thing I see that the SLR & Syrac has that the other don't is the dent adjustment which would limit the adjustment to the dent spots.

Does the unthreaded portion of the Wilson screw seal off the gas instead of the threads?

If I'm understanding correctly, the Syrac and SLR use the unthreaded "stem" portions on the end of their set screws to more effectively shut off gas in addition to the detent feature, which would limit you to 1/4 or 1/3 turn adjustments but would also allow some repeatability as you could count clicks.

I have a cheaper gas block on my 260, and I don't like it. The simple set screw moves too easily, and I was told to use rtv silicone to seal and "set" the screw by the person that sold it to me. I will be changing it out at some point..

Campfire Greenhorn
Campfire Greenhorn
Originally Posted by Walter_Sobchak
If I'm understanding correctly, the Syrac and SLR use the unthreaded "stem" portions on the end of their set screws to more effectively shut off gas in addition to the detent feature, which would limit you to 1/4 or 1/3 turn adjustments but would also allow some repeatability as you could count clicks.

Exactly...

It looks like the Wilson works the same as the SLR and Syrac as far as metering gas. That being said, the jam nut and straight gas tube are deal breakers for me.

Last edited by KneezeInTheBreeze; 01/02/15.
J
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
J
a pound of rifle seems like a lot to me these days... grin

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular

Exactly...

It looks like the Wilson works the same as the SLR and Syrac as far as metering gas. That being said, the jam nut and straight gas tube are deal breakers for me.

Enlighten me on the problems of a straight gas tube.

Campfire Greenhorn
Campfire Greenhorn

There's nothing wrong with it at all functionally. It's just another non-standard part I don't want to deal with.

G
g5m Offline OP
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
G
Originally Posted by jimmyp
a pound of rifle seems like a lot to me these days... grin

I'm with you on that! grin

Retired cat herder.

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular

The photo below shows three metering screws. Syrac Ordnance on the left, SLR in the middle and JP on the right.

The JP is just an off the shelf cup tip set screw. The threaded body of the screw simply can't meter gas as effectively. When tuning a JP style block, you start with screw closed and back it out until the rifle completes a cycle of operation. These style gas blocks are either on or off given a specific cartridge. Once you hit the adjustment sweet spot, moving the screw in or out changes nothing (non-linear). I have no idea what type of screw the Wilson variant uses but I wouldn't be surprised if it were the same as a JP.

The Syrac and SLR variants work better because they have a machined metering surface. The metering screw on these models are precise enough that you can walk the ejection pattern through about 90 degrees. I'm prefer the Syrac varaint over the SLR for a few reasons:

1. The Syrac screw is purpose built whereas the SLR screw is just a turned down set screw.

2. The Syrac screw has four metering detents compared to the SLR which has three. This allows for more precise metering.

3. I'm not fond of the SLR leaf spring retention for the detent ball. It may be subjective but it's more likely to fail than the Syrac.

[Linked Image]

What type of failure is the leaf spring detent more prone to? Have an example?

Last edited by CBMJR; 01/03/15.

Campfire Greenhorn
Campfire Greenhorn
I'm not sure exactly what material the leaf spring is made from but it rusted overnight after being exposed to a little salt spray. I tend to approach my appraisal of parts from a hard use, worst case scenario standpoint. Again, I'm not bashing the SLR. I own two Sentry 9's which are installed on bull barrel builds but only because Syrac doesn't make 0.936 variant.

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular

There's nothing wrong with it at all functionally. It's just another non-standard part I don't want to deal with.

Non Standard....Wasn't we talking about he AR10/LR308. There isn't anything standard that I am aware of. The straight tube is standard on mine.

Campfire Greenhorn
Campfire Greenhorn
Non Standard....Wasn't we talking about he AR10/LR308. There isn't anything standard that I am aware of. The straight tube is standard on mine.

You got me... The large frame platform hasn't been standardized for sure.

R
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
R

http://www.brownells.com/rifle-part...8-ar-chrome-lined-barrels-prod80214.aspx

This Criterion hybrid contour lists at 2.6 pounds.

Anybody have any idea what the S&W 18" barrel weighs? The S&W balances nicely in the hand. I think it is a pencil barrel.

Faxon:
http://faxonfirearms.com/18-medium-tapered-308-win-mid-length-4150-qpq/

Faxon is 2.28 lbs

Anything out there lighter and available?

Last edited by Robert_White; 07/13/16.

H
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
H
LMT is another solid AR10. I have had no issues with mine and you can swap barrels easy.

Good Shooting!
Y
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Y

http://www.brownells.com/rifle-part...8-ar-chrome-lined-barrels-prod80214.aspx

This Criterion hybrid contour lists at 2.6 pounds.

Anybody have any idea what the S&W 18" barrel weighs? The S&W balances nicely in the hand. I think it is a pencil barrel.

Faxon:
http://faxonfirearms.com/18-medium-tapered-308-win-mid-length-4150-qpq/

Faxon is 2.28 lbs

Anything out there lighter and available?

Robert, for the last couple years Faxon seems to be one of the leaders in making real light AR barrels. They are probably your best bet right now.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
I handled a Daniel Defense .308 this past weekend. Not crazy about 16" barrel .308's but it seemed relatively light & handy. Spendy, too. smirk They also have a Ambush cammo model which has a 18" barrel. 8.6 lbs with 18" barrel.

I expect it will be very reliable, how accurate it will be is a different question.

"...the designer of the .270 Ingwe cartridge!..."

R
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
R
Originally Posted by g5m
After many years of puttering around with 5.56 Ar's I'm thinking of getting into the 308's. There are a lot of posts and threads about reliability problems. I really don't want to play around with reliability problems if I can avoid it.
And, I'll be looking at an entry level rifle, not a Knight or Larue, etc.
Any advice from you all who are experienced in this area?

A local dealer who has a good many high and low dollar rifles recommended getting started with a Bushmaster MOE which he said has been more accurate and reliable than many others.

Thanks for any help.
I have a DPMS Gen 2 Hunter. I wanted a relatively light weight 308 with a 20" barrel. That describes the Hunter.

I had the same issues, maybe not as severe, as Jimmy describes, but hoping for success in this package, I let them work on it. Twice. They got it right the second time, and I question if they even did anything the first as they were changing repair stations from internal to external. A good move on their part.

Mine shoots about a inch for 5 and it's a semi-auto hunting rifle. I'm good with that.

I wouldn't suggest you might not have problems with one, but I would believe they would make it right. I'm glad I stuck it out and have it in my inventory.

We may know the time Ben Carson lied, but does anyone know the time Hillary Clinton told the truth?

Immersing oneself in progressive lieberalism is no different than bathing in the sewage of Hell.
Campfire Savant
Campfire Savant
I have a Rock River 308 varmint. It's very accurate. No problems with it. I shoot a 150 Sierra GameKing with 44 grains of H4895. Lake City brass.

B
BMT Online Content
Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
B
My DPMS Gen1 has rocked through three classes at thunder ranch Oregon (just finished a class Saturday). 600-750 rounds over 2.5 days each time.
Wore out the bolt @ 4400 rounds. Had a JP FMOS bolt and BCG installed before this class. Round count is over 5,500 now. Gonna need a barrel soon.
Remember the acronym MMA--magazines, maintenance, ammo

"The Church can and should help modern society by tirelessly insisting that the work of women in the home be recognized and respected by all in its irreplaceable value." Apostolic Exhortation On The Family, Pope John Paul II
S
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
S
I've been very pleased with my FNAR--I know its looked at as kind of a beast but my oh my does it perform--its just that the mags are so expensive--it really is rock solid when shot from a rest--- shooting freehand is a bit of a challenge for me at my age

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Originally Posted by tex_n_cal
I handled a Daniel Defense .308 this past weekend. Not crazy about 16" barrel .308's but it seemed relatively light & handy. Spendy, too. smirk They also have a Ambush cammo model which has a 18" barrel. 8.6 lbs with 18" barrel.

I expect it will be very reliable, how accurate it will be is a different question.

tex, how spendy was spendy? grin

Slaves get what they need. Free men get what they want.

Rehabilitation is way overrated.

Orwell wasn't wrong.

GOA member
disappointed NRA member

24HCF SEARCH
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
I have the Colt LE901-16S in .308 and have had no issues. It's just heavy, but shoots great.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by local_dirt

$2499, IIRC

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Originally Posted by local_dirt

$2499, IIRC

Thanks, tex. Nice rifles. That DD5 18" Ambush in Kryptek Highlander is a beauty. Cheapest I found was $2699.

Orwell wasn't wrong.

GOA member
disappointed NRA member

24HCF SEARCH
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Buy one and tell us how it shoots smile

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Plumbing and ac repairs at several rentals have cured my gun $$ for this month. frown

Orwell wasn't wrong.

GOA member
disappointed NRA member

24HCF SEARCH
T
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
T
I recently got a Windham Weaponry AR-10 and so far it has functioned well. It has swallowed 147gr FMJs and 180gr Remington Core-Locks without a hiccup and I have done a ladder with 42-47grs of TAC pushing a 150 Hornady Interlock as well. Disassembled the bolt and cleaned it once so far. Throws all brass to 1-2 o'clock but doesn't damage it. So far I'm happy.

An armed member in a country is a citizen, an unarmed member is a subject.
Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

232 members (10gaugemag, 450yukon, 1_deuce, 45_100, 338reddog, 40 invisible), 2,316 guests, and 1,145 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,386
Posts18,469,701
Members73,931
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.