Print Thread
Hop To
T
TJS Offline OP
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
T
Does anyone have personal experience installing aluminum pillars in a wood Mark V stock and if so how did it turn out/shoot before and after? Contemplating this on one of my WBY's. Thanks!

GB1

RWE Offline
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
I bedded mine with bronze bushings and took out the speed bump in the barrel channel, and it tightened up sequential shots nicely.

Prior to this, follow up shots were iffy, as in 2MOA+/- and no rhyme or reason regarding displacement from the first shot.

Before and after on the cold barrel shots was minimal but then again, I didn't do much shooting past 200 when I noticed the iffy issue and worked towards resolving it.

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
I cannot think of a reason why it would be a bad idea (if done properly). I'd pillar bed just about any wood stock. If done properly, it may shift tune for your tried and true load initially, but it's going to give you a more stable system over the long run.

Chris
T
TJS Offline OP
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
T
Thank you appreciate the input. RWE any pictures of the pillar installation? Totally agree about being done right as I had rifle in the past dropped off with a local gunsmith that I thought would do a good job bedding the action and turned into a disaster. If I go this route I will be doing the work myself.

O
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
O
Originally Posted by TJS
Thank you appreciate the input. RWE any pictures of the pillar installation? Totally agree about being done right as I had rifle in the past dropped off with a local gunsmith that I thought would do a good job bedding the action and turned into a disaster. If I go this route I will be doing the work myself.

With a Mark V only the rear pillar would be bedded correct? The front screw hole cannot be deep enough for a proper pillar since the mounting screw is in the recoil lug. If anyone has bedded a front pillar would like to see pics if possible.

THanks

IC B2

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Oldelkhunter is correct, and I should have been more clear. You're not likely to get a pillar in the recoil log, as the amount of stock material just isn't there. IMO, it's not the pillars that are the real benefit...it's the bedded action.

I'd bed "sans pillars" and make sure to bed the bottom of the lug flush, as any gap can cause torquing due to the action screw threading into the lug.

Those that I've bedded in the past were in HS Precision stocks with aluminum bedding blocks (which don't need the pillar).

Chris
RWE Offline
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by Oldelkhunter
Originally Posted by TJS

With a Mark V only the rear pillar would be bedded correct? The front screw hole cannot be deep enough for a proper pillar since the mounting screw is in the recoil lug. If anyone has bedded a front pillar would like to see pics if possible.

THanks

You guy got me thinking so I pulled it from the safe and opened it up, and I'll post pics later when I get a chance.

I pillar bedded the rear screw between the tang and bottom metal - fit flush against the bottom medal, and a skim layer of bedding below the tang.

It appears that the small (roughly 3/8" thick) area between the bottom of the recoil lug and the bottom metal has a spacer in there, but I added bedding material below the recoil lug and under the bottom metal as well, so I can't see what the end of it looks like to know if I have a metal bushing or simply a spacer amongst all the bedding material.

O
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
O
Originally Posted by RWE
Originally Posted by Oldelkhunter
Originally Posted by TJS

THanks

You guy got me thinking so I pulled it from the safe and opened it up, and I'll post pics later when I get a chance.

I pillar bedded the rear screw between the tang and bottom metal - fit flush against the bottom medal, and a skim layer of bedding below the tang.

It appears that the small (roughly 3/8" thick) area between the bottom of the recoil lug and the bottom metal has a spacer in there, but I added bedding material below the recoil lug and under the bottom metal as well, so I can't see what the end of it looks like to know if I have a metal bushing or simply a spacer amongst all the bedding material.

Weatherby sometimes uses a metal spacer that slides under the bottom metal so it sits nicely in the stock. The guy that owned my fiber mark previously did a sloppy job of bedding the trigger guard assembly(1 piece steel) and I had to redo it and used one of those spacers buried under bedding compound.

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

534 members (1beaver_shooter, 1Akshooter, 10Glocks, 222Sako, 01Foreman400, 21, 57 invisible), 2,468 guests, and 1,212 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,192,454
Posts18,489,688
Members73,972
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.