Print Thread
Hop To
Page 4 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 6
P
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
P
Originally Posted by Formidilosus
I'm sorry that you feel so inadequate that you need to talk about a single trip of mine more than you do your own, but do you or do you not have experience killing lions, brown bears, elephants, etc?

I didn�t bring it up, I answered a question.

I asked you a question.

It�s pretty hard to take you seriously when you don�t qualify your experiences.

GB1

P
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
P
Besides, it doesn�t take a Finn Aagaard to realize that this reticle is not what a guy wants for a close in hunting rifle.

[Linked Image]

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
I would never own another Vortex Optic... I had two Vortex Razor HD 5-20x50's that would not track right outta the box... Much better optics out there for the money...

As for using a Leupold in a life/death situation I would have to pass on that as well... I've had way to many variable Leupys fail to use one in that scenario... Early on I had no choice to use Leupy's and at that point in time the fixed 10x worked as advertised... As of today that is the only Leupy I own but do have a 6x leupy on the way to satisfy my curiosity on the max range one can achieve with a fixed 6x in hunting conditions...

I don't have a DGR but I do use a short barreled 338 Federal with 185 TTSX at 2810 fps... This rifle is topped with a NF 1-4X with the FC 2 reticle and has accounted for 37 bears and 8 mountain lions... The furthest shot on any of those being 35 36 yards and the closest being 3 yds... These are not treed animals... These are rogue critters shot in Urban environments... I use a 33 yd zero which gives me a 4" PBR of 0-250 yds... I would not use another optic in this situation... I have not tried the other optics in this situation nor would I as the NF has been proven to be the best optic in my situations...

YMMV...

Last edited by elkhuntinguide; 01/04/15. Reason: typo...
P
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
P
I�ll admit that FC 2 has a lot more going for it than the IHR. But I�ll take a Heavy Duplex, thank you very much smile. Thank you for qualifying your experiences, EHG.

As for Vortex....no thanks. I�ve spent time around five of their optics that I can remember; two quit after a few days use. One scope and one set of binos.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Appreciate the input. Always interesting to hear others opinions and recommendations, even when I disagree. grin

In regards to Vortex riflescopes, I've only fiddled with a couple crossfire scopes. Wasn't impressed.

I've noticed over the past couple years the increase in the number of Vortex products some of my hunting acquaintances are sporting. They crow about them, and how they're cheaper and just as good as the top end optics.... I just smile and carry on.

IC B2

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Never really been a fan of a Heavy Duplex but will admit my time behind one is very limited... The FC-2 is a perfect reticle in my application IMO.... If I have a critter in the "Donut of Death" when I squeeze off they are done for... Fast target acquisition and easy for a follow up if needed... Allows both eyes to be open for situational awareness and peripheral threats... If they could make the illumination on it daylight visible I feel that would be the cats ass...

I have an FC-3 version on the way for an AR-15 that will be used for Urban predator control... I'm hoping it works as well as the FC-2...

F
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
F
PG,

I have not killed lions, tigers or brown bears. I have seen those scopes that I listed continue working when those you think are awesome continuously fail, and I have seen a lot of killing that has been done with them at very close ranges.

As far as hunting goes, I would be happy to read about you travels across the country for backpack solo hunts and your success and failures therein.

EHG,

You'll dig what's coming from NF. No matter how many Vortex 1-6's I see at work I will not be able to trust them like I should, I use them because no one else builds a better one.... Yet.

Last edited by Formidilosus; 01/04/15.
B
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
B
First a brief reflection of how I and those I know/work with test and why most don't even know their scopes aren't working.

Most mount a scope, bore sight, fire 1-3 rounds, adjust, fire 1-3 rounds and if the bullets are somewhere near their "zero" (usually 1-3 inches high at 100 yds), then they say the are done. If the scope seemed like it adjusted the bullets close to the desired amount they state that the scope works fine. Really the only thing they care about is staring at and bragging about the "glass".

There are several problems with this.

1) The most important is that just about every name scope has glass that is more than sufficient to see with and kill under just about any legal light. "Glass" is just about last on the list of importance for almost any use. Doesn't matter if it's long range shooting or hunting in the timber with a lever gun. You are far more likely to miss or wound an animal because the sighting device lost zero or adjusted incorrectly than you are because you couldn't see it to shoot.

2) 3 round "groups" are completely and totally insufficient to determine where any one shot will land. There is no- "hunting rifle", "1st shot from cold bore", "only the first shot matters"- nonsense. ALL guns fire in a cone. This is a fact. The purpose if zeroing is to move the center of the cone to point of aim (POA). It takes a certain number of shots to adequately determine where the center of the cone is. If you have a rifle that generally produces 3 shot "groups" of around 1 MOA, than you really have a gun that is somewhere between 1.5 and 2 MOA for the cone. This is important to understand as those three shots are almost meaningless and has a high likely good of being farthest from the center, rather than closest (there is more to it than that). That means that when you think you are zeroed, you can be almost 2 MOA off from actual ZERO. This alone should make it fairly obvious that doing the above will never allow one to see point of impact (POI) shifts of .5 to 1 MOA. Let alone knowing what size target we can hit, or if the scope is adjusting correctly.

3) Adjustments of a few MOA shows nothing of a scopes correct functioning. Lots of scopes have dead spots, shifts, under adjustments, over adjustments, flat spots, backlash, failure to return to zero, etc., anywhere throughout the adjustment range. Only tall target tests, with frequent POI measurement will show this. Adjustments of 30 plus MOA/10 mils with POI measuerd at least every 4-5 MOA/1 mil is needed. Now there will be plenty claiming that they don't shoot far enough for it to matter, however that's not the point. Any of the above conditions point to mechanical problems and a high likelihood of future problems that are much more severe.

Scopes don't get "better" with use. Any scope that exhibits the above issues is broke and will only get worse. Again most will say that none of that matters for none turret twisters... that is flat out wrong. For instance- a regular hunting scope say even a fixed 4x that will never be dialed, has dead spots, shifts and backlash. Doesn't matter once the scope is zeroed, right? Wrong. Those conditions are a sign of a faulty erector system, an erector system that is designed to be stable and in correct function in order to maintain zero. All else being equal that scope will have a measurably shorter life and a way higher probability of failing at any time.

This is a scope that was never dialed. There are plenty of really good three shot groups in both targets, and they even overlap somewhat. Firing just 3 rounds may have not shown the shift. Or it could have been attributed to any number of other factors.

[Linked Image]

Here is the exact same scope a year later after being totally remounted and a trip to Afghanistan with no abuse other than normal use, being zeroed before a major match.

[Linked Image]

Exactly one day later after going down in the middle of a LR stage

[Linked Image]

Top " group" was shot first, followed by the bottom with no adjustments made. Notice the two rounds right of the dot were fired first, then it shifted and the third is the one on the edge of the cardboard.

This can and does happen to hunting scopes ALL THE TIME. But most don't see it because of several reason i get to below and those above.

4) "Zeroing". The only way to have a true zero- that is the center of the cone overlapping the point of aim..... Is to have the center of the cone overlapping the point of aim. You do not have a zero if your gun is sighted in 2 inches high at 100. Or you do, but you have no knowledge of where that zero actually is. You may think it's close, and it may be to some uncertain point down range, but unless you fire enough shots to determine POI at THAT SPECIFIC range and have the POI match exactly the POA, you are guessing that it is zeroed. You do not know.

This-

[Linked Image]

And this-

[Linked Image]

Is NOT zeroed.

This-

(Sorry about the finger. Smack talk knows no bounds... grin).

[Linked Image]

And this-

(POA was the tip of the diamond)
[img]http://i744.photobucket.com/albums/xx87/Vereor1/Mobile%20Uploads/image_zpsebae0825.jpg[/img]

Is zeroed. Both are 10 round groups and both are centered over the point of aim to the mechanical limit of the adjustments. Any zero shift will be immediately apparent.

5) Constant tinkering and changing ammo. It is impossible to determine stability in the scope if you change ammo, lots, or makes. Most are constantly tinkering with "loads" and therefor can have no idea whether the zero shifted.

How the zeroing process should go-

1) Choose scopes based on mechanical function first. Reliability and durability mean more than every other attribute.

2) Mount properly with a ring and base system proven to be extremely stable and durable.

3) Zero with 10 round groups at a minimum, insuring that you have 100% point of aim, point of impact.

4) Conduct a tall target test to show any erector flaws.

5) Ensure that what the ammo that was initially used to zero is used to check zero every single time it is shot. Same make, same brand, same lot. If hand loads are used then have enough left over to check long term.

5) Give absolutely no excuse for zero shifts, "fliers", or any hiccups with the scope. Any shift in POI/POA is a failure, even the first time, and WILL HAPPEN again.

Bottom line is that of my bullets aren't going to crosshair intersection, I do not fire enough rounds to determine both the center of the group and mechanically what size target those rounds will hit, and I do not test mechanical function, I have no idea if the scope is working, no clue or advance knowledge of potential problems, no idea whether it will even hold zero, and no idea whether a missed shot or wound was me or my equipment failing.

Formid, nice finger there bud. POI a little off but nonetheless pretty good. I wish I had a good finger picture, but these will have to do. Regular ol hunting rifles with regular ol hunting scopes and hunting bullets. No match grade bullets harmed in the making of these groups:

[img]http://i1180.photobucket.com/albums/x401/chiefbsa/IMG_0584_zps60ab582b.jpg[/img]
[img]http://i1180.photobucket.com/albums/x401/chiefbsa/019_zpsb52e9d82.jpg[/img]

I agree with you about Vortex viper pst scopes too. They suck... Have a great year buddy!!!...

Originally Posted by raybass
I try to stick with the basics, they do so well. Nothing fancy mind you, just plain jane will get it done with style.
Originally Posted by Pharmseller
You want to see an animal drop right now? Shoot him in the ear hole.

BSA MAGA
M
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
M
Hell, you could fit three 3-shot groups in one of them! Big bullets take up more space.... grin

I dig the critical test criteria laid out earlier in this thread. Maybe excludes some ptretty good optics folks are fond of that work almost always. All the 'post your creds' 'prove it buddy' stuff should be directed towards folks claiming junk is good (not saying anyone here's doing that), not the guy claiming the proven are proven...

I'm scraping up for a LRHS.

Last edited by oregontripper; 01/04/15. Reason: My phone phuggged up!

"I can't be canceled, because, I don't give a fuuck!"
--- Kid Rock 2022

Holocaust Deniers, the ultimate perverted dipchits: Bristoe, TheRealHawkeye, stophel, Ghostinthemachine, anyone else?
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
The Shortdot is an evolution of their 1.1-4x "dangerous game scope", it WAS made for hunting.

I suppose you think that the Trijicon 1-4x was made for hunting?

What I can tell you is that the Trijicon Accupoint was in fact made for hunting. A
nd that if you look at any 3 of the reticles offered, that should be apparent. One is a duplex, the other a #4. All the better than the short dot for hunting. It also happens to be quite popular on DGR rifles.

The amber triangle would do well for both, as you say.

The short dot comes in 1 retcle and it is called CQB. You do the math.

And no I don't hunt African DG. But to think that means I don't know what a good DGR scope entailsbis kinda ludicrous on your part. I have hunted bear and hogs in dark timber if that counts. Because I would use/recommend the same type of scopes.

I got football to watch now.

Have a good one and GFY......

IC B3

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
I don't know if S&B still offers it, but I know that the 1.1-4x20mm PM Short Dot was available with the Flashdot #7 and #9 reticles as Alex Roy at Euro Optic had them at one time.

Form & EHG, either of you have experience putting the Zenith and/or Klassic line through it's paces?

I've got a couple Zenith's with the Flash Dot, and had a Klassic. Granted, I was never twisting turrets but I've put some rounds down range and have used the Zenith's over the years to hunt, and they appear to be serving me well.

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
FO... The only Classic(3-12x50)I have ever used was an old school one when Holland first came out with his ART reticle back in the day... I remember having issues getting it zero'd due to the lack of travel in the erector.... Once I had the mount situation figured out it lived a long life on a 300 WM Sendero... Of course I never dialed for shots with it and in the 4 or so years I had it I never had to re-zero other than the 5 times I changed barrels on that particular rifle... It seemed solid IMO.... That is only a sample of one naturally...

F
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
F
BSA,

That's what I'm talking about.

2MG,

You are wrong on both scopes. Google can be your friend, but not in this case. The Trijicon 1-4x is an outgrowth of a military organizations, and competitive 3- gunners use of the 1.25-4x scope. They wanted the same scope but with 1x and finger adjustable and resettable turrets.

There have been at least three versions of the Shortdot, as well as FFP and SFP, and multiple reticles including "hunting" ones. It IS a hunting scope, just like most Leupold Varible Mark 4's are nothing but rebadged versions of their hunting scopes with different turrets and reticles, except that for the most part ShortDot's work....

Fost,

I am sure there are some here that have more experience with S&B's hunting scopes, as I only see a few used heavily a year, however they do seem to be good scopes and as good as they always have been. For their purpose I would not hesitate to use them and would test, and watch them just like every other scope.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
EHG,

My experience (and a few friends) is that the newer generation Klassics and Zenith series have a little more erector travel as there's been no issue with zeroing no matter the mounts utilized.

The limited erector travel withstanding, for a "set it and forget" scope I've found the Zenith and Klassic to be solid. Same with the Zeiss Victory Divari VM/V / Varipoint and the Swarovski PH/PV.

M
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
M
Dual erector system...
[Linked Image]

"I can't be canceled, because, I don't give a fuuck!"
--- Kid Rock 2022

Holocaust Deniers, the ultimate perverted dipchits: Bristoe, TheRealHawkeye, stophel, Ghostinthemachine, anyone else?
M
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
M
I've had 2 scopes and 2 binos. I never like the scopes and got rid of both. One pair of the binos in very good (Vipers) another cheaper pair are less than worthless.

My dad has a pair of the crossfire binos that had to returned. My brother has one of crossfire scopes that have been back. To Vortex's credit they repaired both. I think there are much better options out there.

P
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
P
So you have experience with the Leupold 2.5x and 3x continuously failing on heavy recoiling rifles?

I don't trust most variables either, and while I don't have experience will all of those on your list, I agree with the majority. It's just that there are better options than the ultra thin Nightforce reticles for hunting, IMO.

As for my solo backpack hunts, they aren't very interesting. Pack in, sometimes shoot something/sometimes not. Pack out. Try and keep the near death experiences to a minimum by not jumping off cliffs or running out of water.

Here's a pic from an Unlimited Bighorn hunt.
[Linked Image]

F
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
F
Holy smack why are you using the life sucking green tick!?

And I would find your Unlimited experience extremely interesting.

I have limited use of those fixed power Leupolds, I am sure they are good, but I personally want 1x if I'm working close.

I like doing what others can't/won't. Including jumping off of cliffs and other such nonsense.

W
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
W
Formidilosus,
Would you please elaborate on the problems you've seen with the recent Leupold fixed 6x's? I thought I might be in the market for one.

Thanks,
Steve

M
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
M
I do have some experience with dangerous game, having hunted grizzlies and a few buffalo, both Cape and water. Have also been charged by other animals, including elephants, brown bears, and even one moose and wild pig. Have also helped a friend and his PH follow up a wound leopard at night. The leopard declined our "invitation," turning away twice, which is what the PH has experienced over the decades. He actually prefers to follow wounded leopards at night, since you can see their eyes shining in a light long before you'd see a leopard in the grass during daylight.

I have used quite a few 2.5x and 3x Leupolds both for hunting dangerous and non-dangerous game. The only one that ever bobbled in any way was a 3x. The Duplex reticle snapped between the tip of the right post and the center crosshairs, but that was only after the scope had been on a number of rifles, the lightest recoiling a .300 H&H, the hardest-recoiling a .458 Lott. Interestingly, the rifle was still sighted-in, though I only shot one more group before sending the scope back to Leupold.

Did use one variable on a .416 Rigby for a buffalo hunt, the Burris 1.75-5x Signature Safari, which also held up extremely well on a bunch of hard kickers. Other people have had the same experience with the same scope.

Dunno if 1x would work better, but haven't had any difficulty shooting at large animals close up with 2.5x or 3x. Have also killed buffalo with iron sights, both open and aperture, at ranges as close as 17 yards. (Jeff Cooper once pointed out that big dangerous game is not only a large target but usually shot close up.) The irons worked fine, and in some ways I'd rather have the express sights on my .416 Rigby than any scope for extremely close work. I adjusted the buttstock with a rasp so that when it comes to my shoulder the sights are lined up perfectly. In fact I can hit softball-sized targets easily by aiming with only the front sight, out to 50 yards.

My last Cape buffalo was killed using a 3x Leupold with Heavy Duplex, which worked fine at 30 yards even though the bull was in deep shade under a big tree. Have also killed deer-sized game at 300 yards with the same scope, no problems.

Just got one of the new Nightforce SHV 3-10's with the IHR in for testing. My first reaction to the reticle wasn't all that positive, but am going to test it quite a bit before making up my mind.

“Montana seems to me to be what a small boy would think Texas is like from hearing Texans.”
John Steinbeck
Page 4 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 6

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

68 members (35, 308ld, 14idaho, 3dtestify, 10gaugemag, 406_SBC, 9 invisible), 1,881 guests, and 818 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,387
Posts18,469,728
Members73,931
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.