Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 2 of 4 1 2 3 4
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
There used to be 150 000 hunters in BC.

20 000 new hunters isn't a bad thing. It's good for hunting overall.

And, it's not a real issue.

The real issue is foreigners being favoured over residents.

GB1

Campfire Member
Campfire Member
Last month, after concerned hunters debated the topic on Bennett�s Facebook page, Bennett replied with a public post saying: �Frankly Steve (Thomson, Minister of Forests, Lands and Natural Resource Operations) doesn�t need the votes to get elected and I�m not running again, so all the threats don�t mean sh� to us.�

http://news.nationalpost.com/2015/0...t-must-work-on-new-b-c-hunting-policies/

Last edited by Cariboo; 01/08/15.
673 Offline
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by Salty303
Well with respect 673 you have a selfish attitude an I don't agree with it at all. School, hospital, library use and hunting numbers will go up as population increases just like he sun will rise in the east. It will happen. I think its wise for the BCWF and local clubs to promote our way of life have a place for the newbees to land and learn the ropes. More hunters = better conservation and management. And it makes it less likely that crap like this allocation policy is attempted in the future. Its a big place there will always be places with no hunters. Just get out of the truck and go for a walk.

Well salty, if I seem selfish to you because I dont share your point of view then thats your right, your above post is what I would call an opinion from someone who is brainwashed.
The thinking that more hunters equals better conservation and management makes no sense, and is the result of necessity, do you think if there are 500,000 hunters it would be unreal management and conservation?
In fact your entire post about schools and hospitals etc, makes no sense.

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
The point is numbers of people will grow with time and all facilities will have to grow to serve them, there's no stopping it everybody knows it. Everyone knows that an excepts and plans for it. Just the same hunters numbers will grow you can't stop it so best plan and be prepared for it.

Conservation by habitat protection and improvement and scientific monitoring is funded by hunting licences. Hunters world wide pay for most of the conservation efforts that are done. More hunters gives more money for more conservation.

But you seem set in your ways so I'll just wish you good luck with it all. I'll be encouraging new hunters that come to our club.

673 Offline
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
I'll encourage new hunters too salty, as I meet them and they want to be a hunter, no problem, I help them out too. I guess I just represent the probably 30-40% of hunters in bc that dont subscribe too your point of view, and are not members of the BCWF, nor GOABC.
As for the GOABC allocation of game...I already said a number of times I dont agree with it.

IC B2

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
http://www.straight.com/blogra/79910...uther-king-say

The GOABC, which represents about 210 outfitters, sells many of its permits to nonresidents who want to purchase guided hunts for big game. The BCWF, which claims 45,000 members, says a larger percentage of limited permits will now be shifting from resident hunters to commercial interests catering to foreigners, even though the number of domestic hunters has increased significantly in the past decade, up to more than 100,000 today. It says foreign trophy hunters during the same period declined about 30 percent, to only 4,500.

In the heat of this war of words came a notification, via Twitter, to the Straight of an interesting photo posted on the GOABC Facebook account. Purportedly taken at GOABC's annual convention in Kelowna, on April 29, 2013, it shows what appears to be five white males wearing black Afro-style fright wigs and is titled "The Jackson Five, all grown up".

For some unexplained reason, all the men are holding bananas.

According to posted photos, other "fun" impersonations involved people dressing as the rock band Kiss, ZZ Top, Tina Turner, and one of the Supremes, with GOABC executive director Scott Ellis dressing up as Prince.

Also according to the posted pics, two senior B.C. Liberal ministers�Pat Bell, then-minister of jobs, tourism and skills training, and Forests Minister Steve Thomson�were present at the convention. It is not stated whether the two were present for the dress-up skits presented as part of a "Gong Show".

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
"Nice" touch with the bananas, I can't imagine what they were thinking. This certainly won't help their public image even a little bit.

Gerry.
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Originally Posted by gerrygoat
"Nice" touch with the bananas, I can't imagine what they were thinking. This certainly won't help their public image even a little bit.

Hopefully it gets shared around and the media picks up on it...it really makes you wonder doesn't it.

G
Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
G
The guide/outfitter allocations are a minor portion of the problems facing BC hunters. Over use of ATV's with the attendant degradation of habitat, increased road building for timber harvesting, over-harvesting of breeding animals, game management for and by groups who are primarily interested in reduction of game animals (Cattleman's association, Insurance corp. etc.), are all factors which are hurting hunting in B.C. and elsewhere. Our elk herds have been hurt more by poor management than by guide/outfitter allocations.
The northern portions of BC are facing the same problems of habitat destruction and too much access that have plagued the south. Pipeline companies and BC Hydro are not too concerned about game populations and their activities do nothing for the game. GD

S
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
S
All TOO bloody true, then the slaughter by the "entitled" due to our liberal, urban, Supreme Court and BC game populations are in deep trouble.

Still, it is time to put the GOABC on a short leash and limit foreign hunters to a maximum 10% of the AAH as is the policy in most of North America.

IC B3

673 Offline
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by greydog
The guide/outfitter allocations are a minor portion of the problems facing BC hunters. Over use of ATV's with the attendant degradation of habitat, increased road building for timber harvesting, over-harvesting of breeding animals, game management for and by groups who are primarily interested in reduction of game animals (Cattleman's association, Insurance corp. etc.), are all factors which are hurting hunting in B.C. and elsewhere. Our elk herds have been hurt more by poor management than by guide/outfitter allocations.
The northern portions of BC are facing the same problems of habitat destruction and too much access that have plagued the south. Pipeline companies and BC Hydro are not too concerned about game populations and their activities do nothing for the game. GD

exactly

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Originally Posted by SNAP

Still, it is time to put the GOABC on a short leash and limit foreign hunters to a maximum 10% of the AAH as is the policy in most of North America.

Exactly, one fight at a time, lets win this one first before we try and change the world.

S
sjr Offline
Campfire Greenhorn
Campfire Greenhorn
S

Well said , nice to see your not drinking in all that Kool-Aid that BCWF is trying to sell.
There's still a mind set in BCWF that if there was no Guide Outfitters in BC there would be 60" moose , 200" mule deer and 40" sheep every were .
Yes I am a BCWF member but I don't agree with the direction there pushing this issue .

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by sjr

Well said , nice to see your not drinking in all that Kool-Aid that BCWF is trying to sell.
There's still a mind set in BCWF that if there was no Guide Outfitters in BC there would be 60" moose , 200" mule deer and 40" sheep every were .
Yes I am a BCWF member but I don't agree with the direction there pushing this issue .

So you're in The GO business and you buy a BCWF membership? You'll never be in agreement with anything that supports resident hunter rights obviously.

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Comparison of Non‐resident Allocation Other Jurisdictions

BC 40% Maximum
20% Minimum

Alta 7% (species dependent)
10% Maximum

Sask 4% (moose)
14% (white tailed deer)

Arizona 10% Maximum (legislated)

Montana 10% Maximum (legislated)

Nevada 10% sheep (legislated)

Oregon 5% most species

Washington 5% Maximum

Last edited by n007; 01/13/15.
S
sjr Offline
Campfire Greenhorn
Campfire Greenhorn
S
Originally Posted by Salty303
Originally Posted by sjr

So you're in The GO business and you buy a BCWF membership? You'll never be in agreement with anything that supports resident hunter rights obviously.

Sorry to disappoint you Salty, I am not a G/O or in the G/O business. Have been a member of BCWF for over 30 years. Not all resident hunters in our wonderful province agree with the BCWF on how there handling this issue.

Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
Our Oregon Hunters Association lobbied for a ballot initiative many years ago to restrict non residents to I believe 5% of our big game tags. Seemed like overkill to me, but the public voted. We are not a non-resident friendly state, and if I did not live here, I'd certainly spend my hunting dollars here.

Sounds like your every day resident sportsmen need to form an association and start lobbying. That 40% allocation does sound a bit heavy handed indeed.

1Minute
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Originally Posted by sjr

Your obviously confused it's the GOABC that claims putting all of our game under LEH will enhance trophy opportunity, and they ARE lobbying to have that done also.

I find it hard to believe that your not some shill of theirs anyway with such an idiotic position.

S
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
S
The FACT is that, due to gross mismanagement of BC's resources and the corporate con-game being currently played to sucker the aboriginals into cooperation with the ripoff of our energy resources, we BCers, do NOT HAVE enough game for our own needs.

Last year was my 50th season, now crippled by an old, very severe injury, I still went out and hunted as is my absolute birthright. I did not shoot anything, don't mind as we three older folks don't require much "red" meat, but, I found VERY few tracks in an area of the Kootenays, where there were scores only a few seasons ago.

We NEED to completely revamp our hunting policies and I favour a total of 6% of ANY species for "non-resident alien" trophy collectors and 4% reserved for our fellow Canadians from other provinces. This, would total 10% for "non-residents" both Canadian and foreign and that is enough.

But, I think that $$$$$$ will win in the end........

t

Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
As much as it would help me as a non-res BC hunter, I hope things turn in favor of BC resident hunter's favor. That would SUCK if Wyoming allocated 40% of bighorn tags to non-residents only.

Hunting is becoming a rich man's game. Sad deal but it is reality.

Page 2 of 4 1 2 3 4

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

558 members (1beaver_shooter, 01Foreman400, 1badf350, 1Longbow, 10gaugemag, 1936M71, 62 invisible), 2,529 guests, and 1,355 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,457
Posts18,471,135
Members73,934
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.