-->
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 3 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 6
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
That Detonics abomination will win the same day NASA hires me to build the next space shuttle in my garage.

Originally Posted by SBTCO
your flippant remarks which you so adeptly sling
GB1

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Not having shot the Detonics cannot comment on it.
I did read the article.
http://bearingarms.com/detonics-siddle-stx-interview/

The army lives for crap like this. Where they have done all these studies like
"We studied the U.S. Army�s anthropometric hand size measurements (i.e. Grip Ergonomics)"

This is just one of many studies they have submitted.

Would not suprise me if they did go for something like this

J
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
J
Originally Posted by Bluedreaux
That Detonics abomination will win the same day NASA hires me to build the next space shuttle in my garage.

What is it that you find so negative about the Detonics pistol?

I got banned on another web site for a debate that happened on this site. That's a first
V
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
V
That's a cool looking pistol. Until recently I haven't about them in years.

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
I know the old Detonics Combat Master had couple of bug-a-boos.
I think they were clip sensitive, and maybe had a occasional galling problem with the stainless. They also had somewhat of a cult following in that when they came out they were some of the first compact 1911's.

This new gun is a completely different iteration then the old ones.

Just wondering if that size company could handle a govt. contract that large??

I know where I saw something like this before. The Wilson Kz 45 a double stack .45 with a polymer frame and 1911 top end. I have handled this gun before. I have fairly large hands and this particular gun was a hand full. Another thing I am remembering now (It has been a few years), I remember looking at the mag well walls with the mag out, and thinking those are thin. I guess they had to keep them on a diet to keep the overall size of the grip down. I do not think they went over that well either.

Last edited by j2dogs; 01/11/15.
IC B2

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by jwp475

Nothing in particular.

I'm just tired of hearing people talk about a gun that doesn't stand a chance.

V
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
V
Well it looks like the M9/3 is out of the running,

J
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
J

Nothing in particular.

I'm just tired of hearing people talk about a gun that doesn't stand a chance.

How did you determine that it does not stand a chance?

I got banned on another web site for a debate that happened on this site. That's a first
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
It's a single action (not gonna happen), double stack .45 (not gonna happen) from a maker without the capacity to fulfill the contract (not gonna happen).

J
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
J

My understanding is it can also convert to striker fired. Not sure they can't partner up to handle the manufacturing. Just a hurdle to cross nothing more. I have no idea which pistol they choose.

IC B3

GunGeek Offline OP
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger

I don't see anything wrong with the pistol per-se (I don't see it as being really "modular" but that word hasn't really been defined).

The problem isn't so much the pistol as it is Detonics; they are not a proven supplier. And the pistol is brand new; completely unproven.

So it's an unproven pistol from an unproven manufacturer. Is that really what you want our military to buy?

M
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
M
If I had to pick one and bet on it I would say the Smith & Wesson M & P.

Eat Fish, Wear Grundens, Drink Alaskan.
J
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
J
Originally Posted by GunGeek

I don't see anything wrong with the pistol per-se (I don't see it as being really "modular" but that word hasn't really been defined).

The problem isn't so much the pistol as it is Detonics; they are not a proven supplier. And the pistol is brand new; completely unproven.

So it's an unproven pistol from an unproven manufacturer. Is that really what you want our military to buy?

Testing trials could prove the design and partnering up with a proven produce could prove to be viable. Just hurdles to cross and the pistol is very close to what is being asked for.

Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter

But...but... it looks like a 1911!

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger

This should be it...

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image from i.postimg.cc]
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger

Wasn't that one of the complaints made against the Glock in the trials back in the '80s when Beretta eventually got the contract and the Glock went on to become the most widely used, widely copied, and one of the most time-tested designs in the modern history of firearms?

Originally Posted by Mannlicher
America needs to understand that our troops are not 'disposable'. Each represents a family; Fathers, Mothers, Sons, Daughters, Cousins, Uncles, Aunts... Our Citizens are our most valuable treasure; we waste far too many.
GunGeek Offline OP
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
Testing trials could prove the design and partnering up with a proven produce could prove to be viable. Just hurdles to cross and the pistol is very close to what is being asked for.

No way, just on way. The testing would have to prove the design to be FAR better than anything else before they would ever even entertain such an idea, and a newcommer is not going to prove to be more reliable than pistols that have been in LE and Military service for decades. Having a good design is the starting place, and at this point that's all they have. Design is almost never where a gun goes wrong, it's almost always in materials and manufacturing. Most of those problems never rear their heads until a major organization takes on your pistol. Glock has had 20 years of development. Sig has had anywhere from 10-30 (depending on which pistol they submit).

If the Detonics even makes it out of the first round of trials, I'll be the first man to start a thread here to admit I was wrong and you were right (wouldn't be the first time).

GunGeek Offline OP
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by 4ager

Wasn't that one of the complaints made against the Glock in the trials back in the '80s when Beretta eventually got the contract and the Glock went on to become the most widely used, widely copied, and one of the most time-tested designs in the modern history of firearms?
Pretty much, Glock was just never seriously considered because it was new technology, radically different design, and a completely unproven company. Plus in tests the Beretta and Sig were both more reliable. I'm not sure if that would be the case today, but I don't doubt it would be pretty close.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by 4ager

Pretty much, Glock was just never seriously considered because it was new technology, radically different design, and a completely unproven company. Plus in tests the Beretta and Sig were both more reliable. I'm not sure if that would be the case today, but I don't doubt it would be pretty close.

The Beretta got the contract because they bought enough Congress critters and openly lied on their contract bid (price and volume guarantees).

The Glock was ruled out because of your knock on the Detonics and because it was an Austrian design (couldn't give any credence to the Austrians in the early 1980s).

Originally Posted by Mannlicher
America needs to understand that our troops are not 'disposable'. Each represents a family; Fathers, Mothers, Sons, Daughters, Cousins, Uncles, Aunts... Our Citizens are our most valuable treasure; we waste far too many.
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Sig or HK in a 357 Sig round would be interesting for military use?

Page 3 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 6

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

505 members (1OntarioJim, 007FJ, 1Longbow, 1moredeer, 160user, 10Glocks, 44 invisible), 2,278 guests, and 1,143 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,394
Posts18,469,959
Members73,931
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.