Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 2 of 2 1 2
Campfire Oracle
OP Offline
Campfire Oracle
Originally Posted by Rock Chuck
Is this for highway or just off road? You need to learn up on AK vehicle codes. Every state is different. In Idaho, for street legal you can't have more than 4 headlight beams. If your low and high beams are on at the same time, you can't use driving lights. Many newer ones have only the lows or highs on so you can use driving lights with those. 2 floods plus 2 pencils? Not street legal here. Also, none of the lights can emit more than 300 CP.

Missed this earlier.
My use will be primarily on-road. The lights I see on rigs of all types from semis to sedans many times are extremely bright and having as many as 8 aux lights. Most are dimmed when oncoming traffic is encountered. I don't think there are any worries with legality.

If you take the time it takes, it takes less time.
--Pat Parelli

American by birth; Alaskan by choice.
--ironbender
GB1

Campfire Oracle
OP Offline
Campfire Oracle
I'll look into those lights Chris. Although it hasn't been below 0* in over a year, I get your point. I once changed a water pump outside at -30.

Thanks, Dwayne. Always happy to read a post of yours.

--Pat Parelli

--ironbender
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Interesting subject!

How many of you guys fit white rear facing work light to your trucks?

I haven't fitted anything on current vehicle, but previously I have fitted rear facing floods, usually on a separate switch..

They are great for carrying work at the rear of the vehicle and also when reversing at night..

The only draw back is they are very tempting (but very illegal) to use when you have some idiot tail gating you with main beams full on....

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
My pickup's stock backup lights are terrible so I have an aux backup light that runs from a dash switch. It also feeds through the trailer light plug and I have a couple good backup lights on my camper and horse trailer. They're invaluable when trying to get set up in the woods after dark.

“In a time of deceit telling the truth is a revolutionary act.”
― George Orwell

It's not over when you lose. It's over when you quit.
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Pete E;
Good afternoon to you sir - see I check the time in Wales wink - hopefully this finds you folks doing well.

I had auxiliary back up lights - 4" round "tractor" lights on two of our pickups and yes they are handy.

In fact if I don't go too crazy with other budgetary items around the place I've been meaning to install some small ones on the rear of the cargo rack on my pickup for just that reason.

I keep on hoping to find some small, affordable LED units to try out and just can't seem to here in Canada. They'd be nice as they wouldn't need such heavy wire to get decent light back there - but anyway we'll see what I can find and how the family budget holds up I suppose. wink

It's always good to hear from you sir, I hope this finds you doing well and all the best to you this year.

Dwayne

The most important stuff in life isn't "stuff"

IC B2

Campfire Oracle
OP Offline
Campfire Oracle
If you find something in the US of A that could be shipped, PM me!

--Pat Parelli

--ironbender
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Go to Amazon, select automotive, and search on driving lights. You should get about 400 pages of stuff to sort through. When you find something you like, search for it elsewhere for a better price. You'll usually find it.

“In a time of deceit telling the truth is a revolutionary act.”
― George Orwell

It's not over when you lose. It's over when you quit.
Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
I am installing several sets of LED lights on my Tacoma, front and back. For me, the LED is the best choice for low amp draw and light output.

For my driving light, mounted on the top center of the bumper, will be this 10 inch combo.

LED light bar

It will provide both distance and side vision in one light. I only want one as I still have the headlights, plus LED fogs. Here is a chart that shows the coverage of the different beams: http://www.rigidindustries.com/sites/default/files/catalog/19.pdf
By combining the spot with the flood or driving, you get the best of both worlds. This chart shows how far out to expect light: http://www.rigidindustries.com/sites/default/files/catalog/18.pdf
It's easy to pick a light that will give the coverage you are after.

For the rear of my truck, I am mounting these in the top of the shell so they can rotate to cover inside or outside the bed: http://www.rigidindustries.com/led-lighting/22211

Good, durable LEDs are expensive. There are lots of cheap products on the market, but I expect my lights to last for years and take some abuse. LEDs provide a much better product than the old tech bulbs. Sure you can see fine with what you have now, but you could see much more. Think of it as standard TV verses HD TV. I was slow to go to HD, but wouldn't go back now if you paid me.

One more thing about this company:
�Designed, Engineered, &
Assembled in the USA

I'm sure they get the bulbs from China like everyone else, but at least the lights are assembled here in the US. Most of the stuff on the market is completely made in China.

Don't just be a survivor, be a competitor.
Campfire Oracle
OP Offline
Campfire Oracle
We had to get a new LED stop/tail light for our association stock trailer. I found out the price difference between two units is having the printed circuit board in Lucite.

The LEDs last, the problem is the electronics that fail from vibration.

--Pat Parelli

--ironbender
Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
Yeah. It would scare me to buy something off Amazon or some similar site. I wouldn't get aux lights unless they were designed from the ground up for off road applications. Waterproof and shockproof with a good company to stand behind them.

IC B3

Campfire Oracle
OP Offline
Campfire Oracle
Good links. Thanks.

--Pat Parelli

--ironbender
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
The rear lights on my ex are a $30 set from amazon. Low enough amp draw that i tapped the circuit and had no probs w/o a relay. When i grab reverse.....it lights up PLENTY. I have a vision x bar on the front, it is AMAZING.

[Linked Image]

Originally Posted by BrentD

I would not buy something that runs on any kind of primer given the possibility of primer shortages and even regulations. In fact, why not buy a flintlock? Really. Rocks aren't going away anytime soon.
Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
I ended up adding a 30 inch combo light bar to the Tacoma. I went with AVEC as I got a great deal on the bar and two pods for the back. I was going to add fogs as well but this will give me enough light I think, and it just fits the bumper perfectly.

[Linked Image]

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
I run a pair of Hella 100 Watt lights on my 4Runner. Sure lights up the road, and a quick flash is a great way to get others to dim theirs.

http://www.amazon.com/HELLA-H12560031-12-Volt-100-Watt-Position/dp/B0002M9SUO

Sam......

TC1 Offline
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by Kodiakisland
I ended up adding a 30 inch combo light bar to the Tacoma. I went with AVEC as I got a great deal on the bar and two pods for the back. I was going to add fogs as well but this will give me enough light I think, and it just fits the bumper perfectly.

[Linked Image]

That's pretty cool. Those LEDS put out some light too.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
I have a 20" vision x two row on my rig.....it is amazing.

Originally Posted by BrentD

I would not buy something that runs on any kind of primer given the possibility of primer shortages and even regulations. In fact, why not buy a flintlock? Really. Rocks aren't going away anytime soon.
L
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
L
Badger (and others):

Knowing the value of those lights, and that they are "exposed" on the exterior, do you take any provisions that would make them more difficult to steal?

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by logger
Badger (and others):

Knowing the value of those lights, and that they are "exposed" on the exterior, do you take any provisions that would make them more difficult to steal?

Have not had an issue yet. I've had good quality driving lights on my trucks for 25 years and have not lost any to theft. (Touching wood here). There are devices available like special anti-theft fasteners that require a special socket to remove them, but I figure that is someone really wants them, they will take them regardless. I generally don't park my truck in high risk areas, and if I did catch someone trying to steal from me, I would change their priorities in life. I also have them itemized on my insurance policy so I'll be out the deductible if they come up missing.

To anger a conservative, lie to him. To annoy a liberal, tell him the truth.

Promoted to Turdlike status 03/17/12

Page 2 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

160 members (1eyedmule, 160user, 2UP, 44mc, 3333vl, 308ld, 13 invisible), 1,564 guests, and 940 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,387
Posts18,469,772
Members73,931
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.