Print Thread
Hop To
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3
D
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
D
Thinking about getting one for my Ar-15. Looking for recommendations.

Buy once, cry once.
GB1

N
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
N
They may be to some, just not to me. I'd say the best "no-bang for the buck" would be:

#1 - 22 rimfire (by far)
#2 - 45
#3 - 9mm

Biden's most truthful quote ever came during his first press conference, 03/25/21.
Drum roll please...... "I don't know, to be clear." and THAT is one promise he's kept!!!
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
I'd get one to hunt with and keep around the house. Just to keep from needing ear protection. They're quieter, but not quiet.

Originally Posted by SBTCO
your flippant remarks which you so adeptly sling
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
To me, it muffles the 556 down to about 22 mag levels. Like Blue said, no need for ear protection, which I always forget, when hunting.

"Allways speak the truth and you will never have to remember what you said before..." Sam Houston
Texans, "We say Grace, We Say Mam, If You Don't Like it, We Don't Give a Damn!"

~Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla~
D
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
D
What brands do you recommend?

Buy once, cry once.
IC B2

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Originally Posted by deerhunter5555

What do you want out of the rifle? Do you want the quietest, the lightest, the strongest, the coolest, one that threads on, or one with a QD mount?

SilencerCo, Surefire, Gemtec, Thunder Beast, and probably some others make good ones. AAC makes a decent can but their mounts somtimes don't lock up tight and have been known to have a negative impact on accuracy.

I think the best deal out there right now is the SilencerCo Saker 7.62. You can shoot anything from .223 up to .300 RUM through it, it has multiple mounting options, good suppression, and relatively compact size. If I were buying another it would probably be the Saker.

Last edited by CBMJR; 01/11/15.

John 8:12 "I am the light of the world. Whoever follows me will never walk in darkness, but will have the light of life."
D
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
D
Originally Posted by CBMJR

What do you want out of the rifle? Do you want the quietest, the lightest, the strongest, the coolest, one that threads on, or one with a QD mount?

SilencerCo, Surefire, Gemtec, Thunder Beast, and probably some others make good ones. AAC makes a decent can but their mounts somtimes don't lock up tight and have been known to have a negative impact on accuracy.

I think the best deal out there right now is the SilencerCo Saker 7.62. You can shoot anything from .223 up to .300 RUM through it, it has multiple mounting options, good suppression, and relatively compact size. If I were buying another it would probably be the Saker.

Thank you sir. Looking for a thread on model I think.

Buy once, cry once.
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
I use a silencertech can on both my 308 and my 223's.

I use the thread on models.

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
[Linked Image]
The first shot is from a CZ 223 and my 308 can. The 2nd shot is from 223AI using my 223 can from about 5 feet away....

J
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
J
I am interested in them as well, trying to convince myself that the noise reduction from a supersonic cartridge is enough to justify the extra weight and unwieldiness of hanging a 1.5 pound tube on the end of your gun.

IC B3

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Jimmy,
They don't weigh 1.5 pounds buddy.
How important is your hearing to you?

My cans cost 550 and 650. Plus the 2 tax stamps at 200 a piece....

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular

I was also looking at the Saker until I talked to a dealer friend. He has had to return a few due to broken locking 'teeth' and had one that could not be removed from the rifle.

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Originally Posted by FAIR_CHASE

I was also looking at the Saker until I talked to a dealer friend. He has had to return a few due to broken locking 'teeth' and had one that could not be removed from the rifle.

Surefires can get stuck on also as can any can that gets left on or not cleaned. As for the teeth breaking, I've never heard of that being an issue. Maybe someone got a lemon though.

John 8:12 "I am the light of the world. Whoever follows me will never walk in darkness, but will have the light of life."
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
I'd get a Saker 7.62. With the 5.56 end cap it's just as quiet as a 5.56 can.

Originally Posted by SBTCO
your flippant remarks which you so adeptly sling
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
It is because of the 22 cal end cap on the 7.62 I was initially leaning towards the Saker.

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular

Not with the 51T. What is your info source for the AAC accuracy issues??

R
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
R
i don't get the issue of mounts for suppressors... spin it on threads... if that takes too long you have other planning problems.

We can keep Larry Root and all his idiotic blabber and user names on here, but we can't get Ralph back..... Whiskey Tango Foxtrot, over....
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Originally Posted by FAIR_CHASE

Not with the 51T. What is your info source for the AAC accuracy issues??

Yes, with the 51T mounts.
I did a lot of reading before I ordered my can, I read enough mixed opinions on AAC stuff to go with another company. Wes Grant at MSTN has stated in the past specifically about AAC muzzle devices and accuracy issues, more than once. I have also seen where people have tried to file teeth back on their brakes to get their cans to mount up tight to prevent wobble. It doesn't seem to be an issue with all of them but more than a few people have experienced it. Some may notice it, some may not. If accuracy is a top priority, the 51T mounts are just not your best option.

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Thanks for sharing what you read online.

Campfire Greenhorn
Campfire Greenhorn
Originally Posted by rost495
i don't get the issue of mounts for suppressors... spin it on threads... if that takes too long you have other planning problems.

Agreed...

QD mounts cover two slices of the marketing pie that have nothing to do with suppressors and everything to do with $$$$. I'd argue most suppressor manufacturers make more money from selling mounts than suppressors with t-shirts in a close second. Are QD suppressors cheaper, quieter, lighter, shorter or easier to maintain than a direct thread. No to all.

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

106 members (arky65, afisher, Aviator, 35, AnthonyB, 01Foreman400, 11 invisible), 1,510 guests, and 799 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,192,503
Posts18,490,600
Members73,972
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.