Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 3 of 5 1 2 3 4 5
Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger

Bone stock Sako L-469 in 222 mag. 40 grain V-Max at 3900fps. Where does fast twist and slow bullets catch this combination???

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image from i.postimg.cc]
GB1

B
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
B
Well inside the 50yd line,as wind drift goes...but one would haveta shoot a smidge to savvy such things. If only for starters.

Funnier than fhuqk that a Clueless Drooling Dumbfhuqk in Coke Bottle Glasses,is gonna try and talk anything about rifles,boolits or glass!!!

Then there's logistics and the inherent beauty of a 223AI squirting a 75A-Max at 3150fps. It's rather unsettling to Clueless Drooling Dumbfhuqks,that the 75 has a 100fps impact velocity advantage,at only the 300yd line. Of course the residual "Ooooooooomph" at the scene,is lightyears beyond what Coke Bottles can reveal. That it does so with 2grs less powder,is pretty fhuqking funny too.

Perhaps muse something about the sweet "satisfactions" of trite COAL latitude,schit glass,botched rings and blued/walnut too? Laffin'!

You poor poor Clueless Fhuqk. Your Cluelessness is beyond EPIC.

Oh soooooooooooo Wow.

Bless your heart,for doing your best and being Stupid enough,to dupe yourself into thinking you've even the foggiest of fhuqking notions.

Congratulations?!?

Hint.

Laffin'!

You really get after it!!!!

(Kchuntfest 2015 Addendum)

I'll feign my "surprise" that you widely skirted ALL things The Rifle and went right to your Vagina Monologue instead.

Who in the fhuqk,didn't see THAT coming?!?

Perhaps dangle a picture of a Humpie,for maximum hilarity.

Laffin'!

RDW Offline
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by MadMooner
Originally Posted by bearstalker
Originally Posted by Rancho_Loco
Since you don't own an AR, you need one yesterday.

RRA predator pursuit, 20" barrel.

+1 Had mine out today and always a blast to shoot. Shoots great with handloads as well. Get the AR.

I need to at least pick up a lower or two while they are still so cheap and available. Who knows when the next dumbazz will throw a wrench in the works and have it stick.

An upper or lower in the safe was not enough to build a rifle after the last panic, BCG's, barrels and triggers were hell to find and prices inflated.

Buy a cheap complete rifle now + some select parts while the prices are good for a nice build or two.

Dave

Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by Boxer
Well inside the 50yd line,as wind drift goes...but one would haveta shoot a smidge to savvy such things. If only for starters.

Funnier than fhuqk that a Clueless Drooling Dumbfhuqk in Coke Bottle Glasses,is gonna try and talk anything about rifles,boolits or glass!!!

Then there's logistics and the inherent beauty of a 223AI squirting a 75A-Max at 3150fps. It's rather unsettling to Clueless Drooling Dumbfhuqks,that the 75 has a 100fps impact velocity advantage,at only the 300yd line. Of course the residual "Ooooooooomph" at the scene,is lightyears beyond what Coke Bottles can reveal. That it does so with 2grs less powder,is pretty fhuqking funny too.

Perhaps muse something about the sweet "satisfactions" of trite COAL latitude,schit glass,botched rings and blued/walnut too? Laffin'!

You poor poor Clueless Fhuqk. Your Cluelessness is beyond EPIC.

Oh soooooooooooo Wow.

Bless your heart,for doing your best and being Stupid enough,to dupe yourself into thinking you've even the foggiest of fhuqking notions.

Congratulations?!?

Hint.

Laffin'!

You really get after it!!!!

Speaking of stupid, you sure got a whole lot of that. Being limited to one post every 48 hours and you wasted it with that gaggle of garbage. Way to go Einstein...

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Originally Posted by Pappy348
Is that a factory stock you painted?

Pappy

When I bedded and floated the rifle, also painted it with the dark brown Krylon "Make it Stone" and sealed it with a flat clear. The fore end is filled with glass and the back 1.5" of the butt is filled with glass to accept the acrew spacing on the red pad I fitted.

The 9 twist is getting it done with 64 Nosler Bonded FBs over Benchmark. 65 SGKs are shooting well also. 55s of several makes are shooting very well.

Nut

Experience hath shewn, that even under the best forms of government those entrusted with power have, in time, and by slow operations, perverted it into tyranny.

Thomas Jefferson

IC B2

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Don't own a .22 cal centerfire and I've been swearing to rectify that for the last couple years.

It be a play toy for steel and paper, used for deer on occasion and down to ground squirrels. Don't want a chunk.

The choices are:

An AR build- I don't own one and they are pretty cheap now.

Ruger American- Uber cheap. 8 twist. Piece of chit stock.

Montana- turn key.

Tikka SL- Has anyone seen one that doesn't shoot? $700+$550 for a McMillan is about Montana territory. The extra inch bolt throw doesn't bother me.

Sako Vixen- slow twist and pricey, though I'd like to have a nice custom on one.

What say ye?

Since no one else has said it, a fast twist .221 Fireball. smile

Okay, seriously, you should buy a .218 Bee, so there will be more demand for the brass, so Winchester might actually run more of it. grin

If you aren't buying either of those, an AR in 5.56 has a lot of practical applications. Buy the best barrel & BCG you can afford. smile

A fast twist .22-250 AI is probably the next .22 Centerfire I'd buy, but I already have two good AR's, and a Bee smile

"...the designer of the .270 Ingwe cartridge!..."

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
He's got a little Mississippi leg hound in him and you don't wanna be around if the mood strikes.

Word of warning. If he does lay into you, its best just to let him finish.....

(grin)

L
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
L
Originally Posted by 16bore
He's got a little Mississippi leg hound in him and you don't wanna be around if the mood strikes.

Word of warning. If he does lay into you, its best just to let him finish.....

(grin)

Real nice Clark, real nice.

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Originally Posted by bsa1917hunter
Originally Posted by 1Deernut
Originally Posted by bsa1917hunter
Not on the list, but the Ruger Hawkeye with the 1 in 9 twist shoots pretty good. Actually the ones I've had, have shot almost as good as my 1 in 9 twist Ruger 77 mkII vt/target model. Not too chunky either....

Had mine out yesterday. After floating and bedding it shot 64 Nosler bondeds over Benchmark under a half inch, Barnes 55 TSXs over Benchmark or Varget well under and inch and SGKs over Varget into a half inch. I'm happy with it.

[Linked Image]

That rifle is looking damn good man. I love the red pad and brown stock. Stainless and damn, you got the whole package right there...A good shooter too, but that's pretty much a given with those rifles. Mine shot so damn good, I let a friend talk me out of it. He traded me his MkII VT/Target and then laughed all the way to his house.... eek

Thanks BSA. A cheap version of your 338 look. grin

Nut

Experience hath shewn, that even under the best forms of government those entrusted with power have, in time, and by slow operations, perverted it into tyranny.

Thomas Jefferson

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by 1Deernut
Originally Posted by Pappy348
Is that a factory stock you painted?

Pappy

When I bedded and floated the rifle, also painted it with the dark brown Krylon "Make it Stone" and sealed it with a flat clear. The fore end is filled with glass and the back 1.5" of the butt is filled with glass to accept the acrew spacing on the red pad I fitted.

The 9 twist is getting it done with 64 Nosler Bonded FBs over Benchmark. 65 SGKs are shooting well also. 55s of several makes are shooting very well.

Thanks for the info. I want something to slap on my Predator for deer season to lighten it up some. The factory laminate is very well done, and you'd better not set it down in the woods for fear of losing it, but the factory synthetic should cut the weight by about a pound. Old, fat, men like their guns as light as possible.

That stone paint is a great idea. Nice job.

What fresh Hell is this?
IC B3

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Just got off the phone with Ruger, and my stock is on the way. $52.91

On top of that, I stopped off at the gun store on my way home from my endoscopy, and scored a bottle of Varget and one of 780.

Whoo Hoo!

What fresh Hell is this?
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Don't own a .22 cal centerfire and I've been swearing to rectify that for the last couple years.

It be a play toy for steel and paper, used for deer on occasion and down to ground squirrels. Don't want a chunk.

The choices are:

An AR build- I don't own one and they are pretty cheap now.

Ruger American- Uber cheap. 8 twist. Piece of chit stock.

Montana- turn key.

Tikka SL- Has anyone seen one that doesn't shoot? $700+$550 for a McMillan is about Montana territory. The extra inch bolt throw doesn't bother me.

Sako Vixen- slow twist and pricey, though I'd like to have a nice custom on one.

What say ye?

Why not start out with the Ruger American, top it with a decent scope and play with it for a bit? Good gun to start until you go in a different direction. I just bought a Marlin X7 sporter in 223 with the same thought in mind. It's 1:9" so I could give it the AI if I wanted.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
RAR+SWFA=TIKKA

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by shrapnel

Bone stock Sako L-469 in 222 mag. 40 grain V-Max at 3900fps. Where does fast twist and slow bullets catch this combination???

Your 40gr VMAX (3900 fps) loses to the 75gr AMAX (2930 fps) somewhere around 50 yards as Boxer stated, in terms of drift.

In terms of catching up... at ~350 yards they'll have roughly the same velocity. But the 75gr is nearly double the mass, and obviously less drift.

Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by 4th_point
Originally Posted by shrapnel

Your 40gr VMAX (3900 fps) loses to the 75gr AMAX (2930 fps) somewhere around 50 yards as Boxer stated, in terms of drift.

In terms of catching up... at ~350 yards they'll have roughly the same velocity. But the 75gr is nearly double the mass, and obviously less drift.

Drift is mighty ambiguous and at 50 yards immeasurable. According to Hornady ballistic charts, velocity does catch up, but not at 350 yards. Drop with the 75 grain is also almost 10 inches more at 500.

BC does play an important part in long range shooting, but this isn't about long range shooting.

I also know how Boxer will beat up people because he says they aren't capable of shooting long range, but still uses long range as a gauge for a particular cartridge and it's usefulness.

Still the concept of having a rifle built to shoot extended ranges when the bulk of your shooting would be much less, makes little sense, especially for lighter cartridges and light bullets.

Varmints aren't shot at extreme ranges as much as they are 300 yards and less. Velocity still works great, I have never given any varmints up to fast twist and heavier bullets at 90% of the varmint shooting we do...

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Kirk,

1. You were pimping light/fast bullets from a 222 and asked where the fast twist catches it. I used JBM with Bryan Litz's values at 1700'. The 75gr AMAX at 2930 fps "catches" the 40gr at ~350y in terms of velocity. As I understand it, the Litz values are not theoretical... he records actual velocity at distance. If you think the Hornady values are more accurate, that's up to you.

2. MadMooner asked about a .22 centerfire "used for deer on occasion and down to ground squirrels." Seems to me that a 75gr AMAX is suitable for deer... but I'm not sure about the 40gr AMAX. How is that 40gr VMAX on deer?

3. Madmooner posted about the 8-twist being a "positive" and the slow-twist of the Sako being a "negative". At least this is what I saw. Re-read his first post and see what you think.

4. Based on #3, I just posted my findings with a fast-twist 223. Nothing more, nothing less... until you asked a question.

5. You say "Drift is mighty ambiguous and at 50 yards immeasurable." Uh, no. "Immeasurable" seems a little strong.
Just because you don't think it matters, doesn't make it "immeasurable". ~50y is where just where it starts... it gets worse for the 40gr VMAX after that.

6. You wrote, "BC does play an important part in long range shooting, but this isn't about long range shooting." But right before that you wrote, "Drop with the 75 grain is also almost 10 inches more at 500." So which is it? And drop isn't my concern at longer ranges... drift is.

7. I posted about an inexpensive 223 that shot well for me. The 75gr seems ok for deer, and is a fast-twist. Both seem to meet what the OP is looking for. He even mentioned the RAR in his post.

8. Why can't varmints be shot at longrange? I don't have much interest in close range... but I never mentioned my preference in my posts.

Jason

G
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
G
That's a whole lot of typing when all you really had to say is, because Big Stick says so.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by GreatWaputi
That's a whole lot of typing when all you really had to say is, because Big Stick says so.

About the worst reason in the world to do anything. He (Big Stick aka Boxer aka.....) knows a good bit about rifles and reloading, for sure. But as a role model, no thank you. Demeaning others and name calling is total grade school bulschidt. A big problem being that there are others with equal experience to his, or at least nearly so, (Like Shrapnel and others. To a lesser degree my own experiences) whose opinions are different than his. He seems to be incapable of accepting the idea that other good riflemen with widely varied experience might come to different preferences or conclusions than he has. A real sign of serious immaturity. Not being able to give anyone else credit for having a valid idea that is different than one's own is not showing great mental prowess or maturity. quite the opposite, actually.

My close freind and oft hunting partner Jim Hackewicz (JJHAck) who does not frequent here anymore for the same reasons Dober and many other good folks have left this site lived near Larry the Big Stick for a while and interacted with him. Jim is an outstanding and widely experienced hunter with thousands of big game animals to his credit either personally or as a guide in AK and PH in Africa. His opinion of Larry aka Big Stick is not good. That is putting it mildly. And Jim's knowledge and experience with real rifles shooting real big game (More than 900 bears alone, many Elephant, Rhino, Cape Buff, thousands of plains game animals, much more) and lots of it far exceeds anything that Big Stick will ever even dream about in his best and wildest imagining's or dreams.

I will take Jim's real world based recomendations over about anyone else's. And he is capable of having a civil back and forth conversation that is actually helpful and worthwhile to all parties. Big Stick used to be like that, but I have not seen that version of Big Stick in a very long time. I miss him and wish there was some way to get the helpful and at least SOMETIMES polite Larry back onto this site and these forums. I really do.

Interesting to note that Jim Hackewicz has two MRC rifles that are essentially slicked up and improved model 70's plus one Ruger model 77 and one model 70 for rifles. All shooting Barnes Bullets of mediocre BC's but awesome terminal ballistics. Just facsinating..... About the same lineup, except with some Brno and CZ's thrown in, that I used to see among other full time proffessional hunters. Should tell us all something, but some wish not to listen. That is their perogitive, but being dissmissive and mean and talking down to another experienced hunter or name calling is NOT.

Last edited by safariman; 01/13/15.

LOVE God, LOVE your family, LOVE your country, LIKE guns and sports.

About 2016 team "R" candidates "We definitely need a crew with a sack of balls the size of hot water bottles, bloviated estrogen leaking feel-gooders need not apply." Gunner 500
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
This place is so retarded.

Originally Posted by captain seafire
I replace valve cover gaskets every 50K, if they don't need them sooner...
Campfire Sage
Campfire Sage
Originally Posted by Rancho_Loco
This place is so retarded.

Laughin'....

Travis

Originally Posted by Geno67
Trump being classless,tasteless and clueless as usual.
Originally Posted by Judman
Sorry, trump is a no tax payin pile of shiit.
Originally Posted by KSMITH
My young wife decided to play the field and had moved several dudes into my house
Page 3 of 5 1 2 3 4 5

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

626 members (10gaugemag, 160user, 06hunter59, 10ring1, 007FJ, 10gaugeman, 78 invisible), 2,678 guests, and 1,300 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,477
Posts18,471,628
Members73,936
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.