Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 2 of 2 1 2
B
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
B
The kid is smart and fast and deadly!! I wouldn't want him shooting at me...

Originally Posted by raybass
I try to stick with the basics, they do so well. Nothing fancy mind you, just plain jane will get it done with style.
Originally Posted by Pharmseller
You want to see an animal drop right now? Shoot him in the ear hole.

BSA MAGA
GB1

Campfire Member
Campfire Member
Originally Posted by bsa1917hunter
The kid is smart and fast and deadly!! I wouldn't want him shooting at me...

Me either!
Plus I'm about 35 mph slower than those hogs. laugh

I like it here. They let me swear.
B
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
B
laugh

I try to stick with the basics, they do so well. Nothing fancy mind you, just plain jane will get it done with style.

BSA MAGA
A
Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member
A
Once again, thank you all for the remarks and kind input!

Popgun & Battue- I see all y'all's viewpoints- I may be in the minority of facial structure. Either that or I love old rifles that happen to have lots of drop at comb.

I'm using the old pre 64 Monte Carlo profile, which still has a significant amount of drop at the comb. I was playing with an older featherweight in Cabelas (1.5-6x 32 Leupold in medium rings) recently and I was surprised that I did still have some cheek weld, but very lightly so. I have always striven for a firm cheek weld and for my eyes to meet the sight when they arrive with my face on the comb

Perhaps dual dovetail lows might be the ticket for me. My gunsmith told me that if I wanted, they could tweak the bases to a custom height to suit me best. I think on a custom rifle like this it's worth the effort, if there's enough meat on the bases to mill away and still be secure.

Again, this has been a wonderful thread!

Last edited by aggiecubpilot; 01/18/15.
B
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
B
Get it the way that works for you but remember; never shoot unless the game is standing broadside. grin

laissez les bons temps rouler
IC B2

B
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
B
bsa when that rifle was put together I was not sure about a scope but suspected it would get a fixed 6X. But of course not knowing I wanted a bit of flexibility in mounting so Gene installed the DD's with the extended rear base.

You don't want to mount a fixed 6X with the rings too far back or you can break the reticle tightening the rings,because of where it's positioned in the tube....so the extended DD provided some fudge factor.

My own view on hitting moving game is that it does have a lot in common with shotgunning. I have never shot sporting clays but have done a lot of grouse and other bird hunting. Like shotgunning if your face is leaving the stock as the shot breaks you're doing it wrong and it's the same with a rifle.Follow through is essential.Which for me includes maintaining cheek weld.

IMO such shots should be done with scopes of modest power and both eyes open,because excessive recoil can jar you off target,and in heavy cover (or in the open) staying with the animal after the shot is important.A small FOV is not a help. I have noticed that when it has gone smoothly for me I have seen the animal react to the shot, watched them collapse(usually down) through the scope,much the same as an upland hunter will see the grouse collapse in mid air....or a clays shooter will see the bird shatter. It's much the same.

Rookies lift their heads,lower the rifle, to admire the shot or see results. They likely blew it on follow through. smile

Last edited by BobinNH; 01/19/15.

The 280 Remington is overbore.

The 7 Rem Mag is over bore.
B
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
B

Last edited by battue; 01/19/15.

laissez les bons temps rouler
B
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
B
Originally Posted by BobinNH
bsa when that rifle was put together I was not sure about a scope but suspected it would get a fixed 6X. But of course not knowing I wanted a bit of flexibility in mounting so Gene installed the DD's with the extended rear base.

You don't want to mount a fixed 6X with the rings too far back or you can break the reticle tightening the rings,because of where it's positioned in the tube....so the extended DD provided some fudge factor.

My own view on hitting moving game is that it does have a lot in common with shotgunning. I have never shot sporting clays but have done a lot of grouse and other bird hunting. Like shotgunning if your face is leaving the stock as the shot breaks you're doing it wrong and it's the same with a rifle.Follow through is essential.Which for me includes maintaining cheek weld.

IMO such shots should be done with scopes of modest power and both eyes open,because excessive recoil can jar you off target,and in heavy cover (or in the open) staying with the animal after the shot is important.A small FOV is not a help. I have noticed that when it has gone smoothly for me I have seen the animal react to the shot, watched them collapse(usually down) through the scope,much the same as an upland hunter will see the grouse collapse in mid air....or a clays shooter will see the bird shatter. It's much the same.

Rookies lift their heads,lower the rifle, to admire the shot or see results. They likely blew it on follow through. smile

Amen Bob. I love your style!!!! I couldn't have said it any better and agree completely..

BSA MAGA
G
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
G
The issue with Pre '64's is that the bolt handle often hits the eyepiece before the objective is even close to touching the barrel. I am a fanatic for low mounted scopes. A scope to consider is the Leupold 3-9X33 ULTRALIGHT. This has a smaller diameter eyepiece that will completely clear a Pre '64 bolt handle with very low mounts. This scope has 5.5 inches of "ring spacing" as Leupold defines it. This is a little tight, but better than the 2.5-8x36 at 5.1 inches. I do not know if it will work with two piece bases. I used a one piece base.

You can use the Leupold SUPER LOW rings. These are so low that you will probably have to mill or file a bit off the base between the rings (NOT UNDER THE RINGS!) for the turret ring on the scope tube to clear. Some just barely clear, and some just barely touch. Some other mounts, such as Weaver style, might get a bit lower. Some Weaver style bases are really thin.

I believe the scopes with the smaller diameter eyepieces will allow you to get as low as you are going to get a scope to mount on a Pre '64 M70.

Last edited by GunDoc7; 01/22/15.

Clinging to guns & religion since 1959

Keyboards make people braver than alcohol

Election Integrity is more important than Election Convenience

Washington Post: "Democracy Dies in Darkness"
More correct: "Killing Democracy Faster Than Darkness"
G
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
G
Extraneous information deleted.

Last edited by GunDoc7; 01/22/15.

Clinging to guns & religion since 1959

Keyboards make people braver than alcohol

Election Integrity is more important than Election Convenience

Washington Post: "Democracy Dies in Darkness"
More correct: "Killing Democracy Faster Than Darkness"
IC B3

Page 2 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

534 members (222ND, 204guy, 1badf350, 1Longbow, 219 Wasp, 10gaugemag, 61 invisible), 1,861 guests, and 1,226 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,194,249
Posts18,525,094
Members74,031
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.