Hop To
Page 1 of 2 1 2
R
rdd Offline OP
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
R
I bought my twin boys each a Remington 700 XCR in 30-06 several years ago. I just put new Timney triggers on each of them but when I had them apart I think I should just upgrade the stocks. So what are your thoughts between the H-S and the Bell & Carlson? One is left had and the other right hand.

GB1

J
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
J
I don't think B&C is offered in left hand. Both are heavier than I want in a hunting rifle, but the B&C Medalist in my experience is every bit as good for a lot less money.

Most people don't really want the truth.

They just want constant reassurance that what they believe is the truth.
W
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
W
B&C does have a model for left hand 700's. Check Red Hawk Rifles.

D
Campfire Regular
Online Content
Campfire Regular
D
HS would have to have a leg up in ergos because the B&C is built just as well. I also second the above. I bought one from Red Hawk Rifles. Very easy to deal with.

Don't speculate when you don't know, and don't second guess when you do.
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
I own both. I like both. When you consider price, the B&C may be the best value of all stocks, IMO. I personally like the palm swell of the B&C and if you compare specs, the B&C is very light. The McMillian classic is actually a couple ounces heavier than the Medalist AW/MR stock for a 700.

I really like McMillian, but it's tough to beat a B&C for the money.

Just my opinion.

Nut

Experience hath shewn, that even under the best forms of government those entrusted with power have, in time, and by slow operations, perverted it into tyranny.

Thomas Jefferson

IC B2

R
rdd Offline OP
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
R
I just looked on the Red Hawk Rifles page and the photos of the Bell & Carlson looked like the stock had the pressure bumps where the H-S didn't. Is the B&C set up for a free floated barrel?

O
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
O
Own both HS and B&C for LH LA Rem 700 BDL. Bought both from Red Hawk Rifles. Red Hawk is good to go. My impression of HS vs B&C:

HS PSS016:
> Thinner wrist, slightly wider fore end.
> Much better fit and finish. Good "grip-ability" of the finish.
> Much less work to "drop in" Rem 700 barreled action. Slight relief in bottom of bolt cut.
> 38 oz.
> $80 to 90 more expensive.

B&C Alaskan:
> Wrist is slightly more open, but thicker.
> Fore end is thinner. Fits my hand better. But slicker.
> Fit and finish sucked. Had glob of paint in the action area that had to be sanded out before I could bolt the action into the stock. Had paint "flash" inside full length of barrel channel where the masking tape was removed while paint still wet and it "pulled". had to remove thick paint from bottom metal inlet to be able to seat bottom metal.
> "Drop in" ability sucked. Had to dremel out for trigger weight screw on Timney trigger. Had to relieve sides for HS bottom metal. Had to remove material from the bolt cut to eliminate contact with the bolt handle. Had to remove the "speed bumps" in the fore end tip to float the barrel. Significant sanding in the bottom of the barrel channel directly in front of the recoil lug to float a Lilja #3 barrel.
> 32 oz weight.

I bought the B&C because the grip "appeared" to be more open. Which it is. But the thicker dimensions more than offset any advantage to being slightly more open. I do like the fact that the B&C is 6 oz lighter. However, I have well over $100 of my time and effort to get everything to bolt into the stock the way I want it.

Last weekend got bored and took a belt sander and 80 grit sand paper to the grip area to thin it down. Had to remove a "lot" of material to get it to be comparable dimensions to the HS stock. Still working on final sanding and starting to finish over it.

I will get this B&C stock tailored to fit me and my tastes. However, after this debacle, no more B&C stocks in the foreseeable future.

To the OP, if you have the $$$'s, my recommendation would be to go for the HS stock. Slightly heavier. Slightly more expensive. But well worth the difference IMO...

H
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
H
For those who don't like the weight of HS, they also have a model with a half aluminum block and other minor changes to shave weight. Model 105 I believe. I have one and it feels comparable to a McEdge in weight although I haven't weighed each yet.

W
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
W
Does H S have a model for a LH SA remington 700 ?

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Originally Posted by Orion2000
Own both HS and B&C for LH LA Rem 700 BDL. Bought both from Red Hawk Rifles. Red Hawk is good to go. My impression of HS vs B&C:

HS PSS016:
> Thinner wrist, slightly wider fore end.
> Much better fit and finish. Good "grip-ability" of the finish.
> Much less work to "drop in" Rem 700 barreled action. Slight relief in bottom of bolt cut.
> 38 oz.
> $80 to 90 more expensive.

B&C Alaskan:
>> Fit and finish sucked. Had glob of paint in the action area that had to be sanded out before I could bolt the action into the stock. Had paint "flash" inside full length of barrel channel where the masking tape was removed while paint still wet and it "pulled". had to remove thick paint from bottom metal inlet to be able to seat bottom metal.
> "Drop in" ability sucked.
Had to dremel out for trigger weight screw on Timney trigger. Had to relieve sides for HS bottom metal. Had to remove material from the bolt cut to eliminate contact with the bolt handle. Had to remove the "speed bumps" in the fore end tip to float the barrel. Significant sanding in the bottom of the barrel channel directly in front of the recoil lug to float a Lilja #3 barrel.
> 32 oz weight.
However, I have well over $100 of my time and effort to get everything to bolt into the stock the way I want it.

Last weekend got bored and took a belt sander and 80 grit sand paper to the grip area to thin it down. Had to remove a "lot" of material to get it to be comparable dimensions to the HS stock. Still working on final sanding and starting to finish over it.

I will get this B&C stock tailored to fit me and my tastes. However, after this debacle, no more B&C stocks in the foreseeable future.

I find this interesting, but do not doubt it. The old Carbelite model I bought was a real POS. Worked my azz off to get it to fit, similar to this experience. The last two Medalists I've had fit perfectly to a Tikka T3 and a Rem 700, but factory triggers and magazines were used.

Nut

Experience hath shewn, that even under the best forms of government those entrusted with power have, in time, and by slow operations, perverted it into tyranny.

Thomas Jefferson

IC B3

J
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
J
Originally Posted by Orion2000

I'm very much interested in seeing pictures of that and hearing how it turns out. Any issues grinding through the outer layer of the stock into foam or anything else in the wrist area?

I've had all the same issues you described with a B&C Ti type stock I recently purchased from Redhawk Rifles (they're B&C issues, not Redhawk's fault), but the only one that really bothers me is the thick a$$ wrist.

O
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
O
As jds mentioned, the issues were B&C issues. Not Red Hawk issues. I have had two other B&C medalist stocks in the past. Always "some" fitting required but nothing like this one. I got the impression that this stock was painted either Friday afternoon right BEFORE a holiday, or Monday morning right AFTER a holiday.

Yes I will post pictures. Camera battery is dead. Need to find the charger. Looks like a thick layer of paint, a layer of resin similar to grey bondo or body filler, a layer of fiberglass cloth, and then the "chop and fill" core. If I can seal the "chop and fill", it should work out O.K. Haven't had time in the last week to look for paint.

I have heard that HS is making a "light weight" stock. However, I can't seem to find it on their website. Big question, for me, is it available in Left Hand ?

K
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
K
Stocky's carries the lightweight HS, friend ordered one last month. 700 SA, weight was 24.5 oz

B
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
B
I've been a long time fan of H-S Precision and never had a problem.

Because of what I read on the intent about B&C quality being on par and the price being much cheaper, I bought a couple to see.

One was for a Win 70/MRC short action. The cut out for the bolt handle was big enough to allow for two bolt handles. Hence it needed work beyond just fitting to make it look decent.

The other stock was for a Rem 700 short action, and like the Model 70 stock, it needed extra fitting work for the barreled action to fit, but at least they got the bolt handle cut out right on this one.

No more for me. I'll pay the extra $$ and get what I want the first time.

It's official. I missed the selfie deadline so I'm Maser's sock puppet because rene and the Polish half of the fubar twins have decided that I am.

ΜOΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ μολὼν λαβέ
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
some have suggested that the butt of the hs precision is too thick. Is this true or just opinion?

K
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
K
Forgot I posted in this thread. Pards scale wasn't calibrated correctly, weight was 26.8 ozs. Still light and didn't need much work at all

S
Campfire Greenhorn
Campfire Greenhorn
S

S
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
S
Got a B&C for a Tikka T3 in 300 WSM and a Manners EH for a Tikka T3 in 6.5 Swede, will never waste another dime on B&C stocks .....

Just can't get rid of that cheap azz junk feeling when handling the Bull Crap stock
the Manners is absolute perfection .........

final answer ? Manners or McMillan

"The welfare of humanity is always the alibi of tyrants".
D
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
D
I like the BC Medalists. The HS are built pretty much the same, but a little thicker and no checkering.

D
Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
D
Originally Posted by Swamplord
Got a B&C for a Tikka T3 in 300 WSM and a Manners EH for a Tikka T3 in 6.5 Swede, will never waste another dime on B&C stocks .....

Just can't get rid of that cheap azz junk feeling when handling the Bull Crap stock
the Manners is absolute perfection .........

final answer ? Manners or McMillan

Good point.

BUT, I don't think the OP is thinking $600 handles...

DF

Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

584 members (160user, 1eyedmule, 10gaugeman, 1lessdog, 10gaugemag, 1badf350, 57 invisible), 2,555 guests, and 1,301 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,475
Posts18,471,521
Members73,936
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.