Hop To
Page 2 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 6
B
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
B
Originally Posted by Razz
[quote=pre6422hornet]I have mine.

1949 .270 in a stock I inletted, finished, and checkered myself. Leupold QR mount for quick Lyman 48 interchangeability, 4x scope ( happens to be an old Burris). There is zero wood exposed. The entire action, magazine well, and barrel channel is epoxied in.

[Linked Image]

Dude, that is one beautiful looking gun! I'm here working in southern Michigan in the snow looking at this and can't wait to get home tomorrow to send picks of my entry. Sorry guys but I'm of the Elmer Keith school and since no 333OKH, i'll gladly take my Alaskan in 338.

I love my 338 win mag as well Razz. I also love the good ol 30-06, however my 270 fwt is very comfortable to shoot and pack around. The damn thing is extremely accurate too. More so than it needs to be. I've been leaving it at home because it makes my 30-06 look bad: BobinNH warned me that would probably happen cry sick Kinda pisses me off, but that's life I guess...

Originally Posted by raybass
I try to stick with the basics, they do so well. Nothing fancy mind you, just plain jane will get it done with style.
Originally Posted by Pharmseller
You want to see an animal drop right now? Shoot him in the ear hole.

BSA MAGA
GB1

P
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
P
thanks guys!

I have some stocks inbound from the east coast that I will be working on soon for a good friend. Plus an old Mauser stock for a client in Oregon. Then this spring another commission of 2 stocks from up North. Wonder how I am going perform my day job!

Razz, good luck on the flight home! I am flying back to ABQ tomorrow as well. Wife says it is supposed to drop an inch of snow and the city is going bererk!!

Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger

Here it is. Finished weight with scope, rings and sling. Capable of sub MOA and a delight to carry and shoot...

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image from i.postimg.cc]
B
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
B
I hate to show my 338 again, but here it is. It's damn near perfect for me. I like the fact that it has a capacity of 5 and weighs 8 pounds loaded and ready to go:

[Linked Image]

I played around with the stock paint job again the other day. I wanted to try some black speckles to kind of bring out the midnight blue cerakote better:
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]

Another rifle that I feel is damn near perfect for me is my 270 fwt. It's stocked with the Mcmillan hunters compact standard fill. Leupold DD lows and Zeiss 3-9x42. I like everything about it, even the cheap azzed Zeiss...:
[Linked Image]

I've always been a 30-06 guy and feel I have to be honest. I don't really care for the swirly on my 30-06 fwt. Why, because it is kind of slick feeling and it's heavy......:
[Linked Image]
I'll be on the lookout for another hunters compact for my 06 fwt. It's a damn shame to like a 270 over a 30-06, just because you like the stock better... sick

I try to stick with the basics, they do so well. Nothing fancy mind you, just plain jane will get it done with style.

BSA MAGA
B
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
B
Originally Posted by shrapnel

Here it is. Finished weight with scope, rings and sling. Capable of sub MOA and a delight to carry and shoot...

[Linked Image]

That's a weird azzed looking Winchester model 70.. whistle

BSA MAGA
IC B2

Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by bsa1917hunter

[Linked Image]

Couldn't have said it better...

B
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
B
Originally Posted by ruffedgrouse
Well, let's consider these questions: so this rifle will be used for north america from whitetails in the brush, elk, sheep in the mountains, to moose and the big bears. So what caliber and weight do we want to end up with? I'm thinking a 8 1/2# .300 Win. Mag. might do well with a barrel contour similar to the standard weight barrel (.600" at the muzzle). Any other votes for the .300 as caliber of choice?

Sure! I've had several 300 magnums (300 Weatherby, Winchester,and H&H) put together on pre 64 actions,mostly Brown Precision stocks. One of the earlier one's was on a H&H action from a rifle someone had butchered.Butch Searcy installed a SS Krieger chambered 300 Win Mag,and bedded it in a Brown for me. I used it all over the west and in Canada on quite a few hunts,killed a lot of game with it.

It weighed 8.25-8.5 pounds scoped. I would not really want it much lighter.

That particular rifle never killed a brown bear because I used a 375 H&H for that; but you could.It was a pretty deadly rifle with Nosler Partitions and Bitterroots.A bit potent for smaller stuff but it certainly kills them fine.

Doing the same thing today I would not change much; I'd use D'Arcy Echols Legend with a standard fill because that stock is so good at mitigating recoil.

The 280 Remington is overbore.

The 7 Rem Mag is over bore.
B
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
B

[Linked Image]

That's because it's a Dennis Olson Sako....I bet. smile

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Originally Posted by ruffedgrouse
beautiful rifle razz: did you stock it from the blank or get it semi-inletted? Its so beautiful it might be hard to take on a rough weather hunt. You did a great job. Congrats !! thanks for sharing !!

Ruffed Grouse, that's not mine. I was quoting pre6422hornet. picture and gun are all his and yes it is fine!

There's 2 dates they carve on your tombstone.
Everyone knows what they mean.
What's more important is time that is known
as the little dash inbetween.

Razz
Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by BobinNH

[Linked Image]

That's because it's a Dennis Olson Sako....I bet. smile

Yup, I started with a model 70, just didn't use any of it...

IC B3

B
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
B
Hah! I guessed right! smile

M
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
M
Hopefully the one I'm having built now will be close to a one gun all around solution. I'm currently having Mark Penrod build a 7 Mag on an H&H action with a fast twist barrel. Will be fully blueprinted and timed. Having it cerakoted and dropped in a legend stock.

Check out my new website

http://www.howemtnknives.com/
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by Razz
[quote=pre6422hornet]I have mine.

1949 .270 in a stock I inletted, finished, and checkered myself. Leupold QR mount for quick Lyman 48 interchangeability, 4x scope ( happens to be an old Burris). There is zero wood exposed. The entire action, magazine well, and barrel channel is epoxied in.

[Linked Image]

Dude, that is one beautiful looking gun! I'm here working in southern Michigan in the snow looking at this and can't wait to get home tomorrow to send picks of my entry. Sorry guys but I'm of the Elmer Keith school and since no 333OKH, i'll gladly take my Alaskan in 338.
That is a beauty!!

I think the ideal is probably an early 50's .270 Fwt. I would keep the wood stock, throw on a Swaro 2-12x50 and rock on.

Eric

B
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
B
mntmn: That sounds like it will turn out great!

M
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
M
Bob,

Lot of Allen Day's influence along with yours went into the thinking. smile

Check out my new website

http://www.howemtnknives.com/
B
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
B
Well.... Mines pretty darned good already, for my use.

M70 Alaskan, McMillan Pre 64 Monte Carlo, Red Pad, 2.5x10 Swaro, Talley Screwlock mounts, and proper sling! grin

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

For some silly reason I think I need other rifles and I blame you all for it..

Semper Fi
P
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
P
Nice Scotty! Very NICE!

B
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
B
Originally Posted by pre6422hornet
Nice Scotty! Very NICE!

Thanks Pat. That rifle really is, "the one" for me. Balances well, weight is pretty easily carried and it is consistent for me. I'd take it anywhere. 200's for small stuff, 275's for bigger stuff and the 225 BBC's for anything else! grin

Semper Fi
P
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
P
Originally Posted by beretzs
Originally Posted by pre6422hornet
Nice Scotty! Very NICE!

Thanks Pat. That rifle really is, "the one" for me. Balances well, weight is pretty easily carried and it is consistent for me. I'd take it anywhere. 200's for small stuff, 275's for bigger stuff and the 225 BBC's for anything else! grin

Heck yes!!!

B
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
B
mntman: Uh-oh....bad influence. smile

Page 2 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 6

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

690 members (007FJ, 1234, 10gaugemag, 10gaugeman, 10Glocks, 01Foreman400, 67 invisible), 3,144 guests, and 1,444 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,743
Posts18,476,068
Members73,942
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.