GB1

F
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
F
Originally Posted by geedubya
Two handed "Brisket Breaker" by Dale Howe

[Linked Image]

Something about a Negra Modelo that goes well with a hog-skinnin' knife. Here's one with a Ready's 24HCF knife:

[Linked Image]

And with a Kershaw Blur folder:

[Linked Image]

FC

"Every day is a holiday, and every meal is a banquet."

- Mrs. FC
G
GRF Online Content
Campfire Regular
Online Content
Campfire Regular
G
I look at those beautiful knives, an realized that I should never have one, simply because all of knives spend a good bit of time after every usage in a bleach and water soak. Makes for clean knife but would really screw up the nice wooden, horn and antler handles.

Still love sees pictures of beautiful tools.

Thanks GRF

S
Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
S
This pair

[Linked Image]

And this one did the gut work

[Linked Image]

"Dear Lord, save me from Your followers"
G
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
G
Originally Posted by Folically_Challenged

Something about a Negra Modelo that goes well with a hog-skinnin' knife. Here's one with a Ready's 24HCF knife:

[Linked Image]

And with a Kershaw Blur folder:

[Linked Image]

FC

+1

My motto:

I'd rather have a bottle in front of me,
than a frontal lobotomy!!!

Do favor a Negra Modelo now and again.

with pork

[Linked Image]

Fiddle-fartin' around

[Linked Image]

or kickin' back

[Linked Image]
Menefee Swayback

JAPPF,

GWB

A Kill Artist. When I draw, I draw blood.
IC B2

C
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
C
Originally Posted by Calvin
I'm down to using a vicky paring knife and a Havalon when hunting.

I am using just a paring knife 99% of the time.

Couldn't find it on the sheep and ended up using my dull as church buck mayo kaala for the whole thing. I like that knife when it is sharp, but that sucked. The sharpener was "lost" with the vicky - in my pack.

TDN Offline
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Have used the Havalon on the last 4 deer and could not be happier for most of the work.

"You know why nobody panic buys 30-06 ammo? ... Because men with 30-06's don't panic"
S
SLM Offline
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
S
Originally Posted by Steelhead
This pair

[Linked Image]

I like those.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by GRF
all of knives spend a good bit of time after every usage in a bleach and water soak.

Don't forget the rubber gloves and hand-sanitizer before AND after bloodying those blades. And always wear a dust mask. Animal dander is an muchly under-recognized danger that all hunters eventually face. Even those that have household pets, can be susceptable to the occasional sneeze. And don't forget to burn any clothing that comes into contact with animal body fluids, immediately upon contact. Call 911 as soon as you think you've been exposed to even the most minor of germs. Get into the habit of taking antibiotics every morning, right after your One-a-Day.......

G
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
G

Hell's Bells, you're skinnin' critters..........

[Linked Image]

I hear urine is sterile,

Piss on it and wipe it down.

JAPPF,

GWB

Last edited by geedubya; 01/25/15.

A Kill Artist. When I draw, I draw blood.
IC B3

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by huntsman22
Originally Posted by GRF
all of knives spend a good bit of time after every usage in a bleach and water soak.

Don't forget the rubber gloves and hand-sanitizer before AND after bloodying those blades. And always wear a dust mask. Animal dander is an muchly under-recognized danger that all hunters eventually face. Even those that have household pets, can be susceptable to the occasional sneeze. And don't forget to burn any clothing that comes into contact with animal body fluids, immediately upon contact. Call 911 as soon as you think you've been exposed to even the most minor of germs. Get into the habit of taking antibiotics every morning, right after your One-a-Day.......

I asked the biologist at Kerr WMA about diseases in hogs and he said they carry stuff like brucellosis, psuedorabies, and tularemia. He said he used to clean them without gloves and would put dip in with bloody hands and says it's a miracle he's still alive. Now he wears gloves and mask.

Quando omni flunkus moritati
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
I've been using an old Puma Hunter's Pal for 14 years now. My wife just started hunting two years ago and I thought she should have a knife of her own, so I just picked up a Bark River Springbok with antique linen micarta scales.

[Linked Image]

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by huntsman22
Originally Posted by GRF

huntsman;
laugh laugh laugh
Thanks for the chuckle tonight Don, I hope this finds you well.

I'm pretty sure that the GRF I've come to know a wee bit via the phone and PM's won't need all of the medications prescribed and hopefully he gets a chuckle too. wink

In light of my cyber friend GW upping the ante with porcine testicular photographic contributions - I'll just say I'll see GW's pork bits and raise him one blowed up mulie heart.
[Linked Image]

Now I do realize that this isn't from this year and I'm not wearing the gloves you suggested - but hopefully I can be forgiven both faux pas. wink

I've really enjoyed this thread folks - thanks to all who've contributed and all the best to you and GW and your respective others in the up coming week Don.

Dwayne

PS;
Eldest daughter has actually developed allergies to deer hair and needs to wear gloves now....

I just gotta pack reading glasses along with the knives now - a by product of passing a half decade on this earth no doubt. whistle

Best to you all again.

Last edited by BC30cal; 01/25/15. Reason: added information

The most important stuff in life isn't "stuff"

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by Whiptail
[ Now he wears gloves and mask.

Can't be too careful these days........

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
You might tell yer biologist buddy about these new-fangled protection devices now used by the most discrimination hunters.
Have him google 'haz-mat suit'. Available on Amazon, I reckon......

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by Whiptail
[ says it's a miracle he's still alive.

PRAISE JEEEEZUS........

Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
In alpha order;

Bark River Mikro Canadian
Cold Steel Pendleton Light Hunter (loaner)
Harvey King Small Game

Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
I keep a few Opinel #8s around. I gave the #8 Trekking style with the red handles to my son's scout patrol. I dumped the little leather lanyard and made a longer and more useful paracord lanyard for them.

Another couple of inexpensive folders that I like are the older Buck 442 and 455 with partially serrated blades. The 455 is so small that it easily fits in the watch pocket on my jeans.

C
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
C
Originally Posted by cwh2
Originally Posted by Calvin
I'm down to using a vicky paring knife and a Havalon when hunting.

I am using just a paring knife 99% of the time.

Couldn't find it on the sheep and ended up using my dull as church buck mayo kaala for the whole thing. I like that knife when it is sharp, but that sucked. The sharpener was "lost" with the vicky - in my pack.

Amazing how quickly a guy can take apart an animal with a sharp paring knife.

K
krp Offline
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
K
Used this parer on everything from elk to lion. Weighs almost nothing on backpack hunts. Did a javelina last month.

Going to reshape this old carbon knife into a skinning parer, it should be unique.

[Linked Image]

Page 3 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 6

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

565 members (007FJ, 1OntarioJim, 1Longbow, 12344mag, 219 Wasp, 16penny, 65 invisible), 2,455 guests, and 1,286 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,440
Posts18,470,877
Members73,931
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.