Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 1 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 6
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
On your last one?

I started out on a recent moose with a #103 Buck Skinner, and realized as I was finishing up, that I had never moved on, as I usually do, to my Marbles... don't usually think of the Skinner as being a versatile knife but it did the job alright, and I was at less risk of stabbing myself with the thing I suppose, as I worked alone.

Sometimes, the air you 'let in'matters less than the air you 'let out'.
GB1

R
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
R
[Linked Image]

Whatever a 7x57 can do a 270 can do better.

True fair chase is you in the woods buttnaked with nothing but your finger nails and teeth.

If you'e fixin' to put a hole in something, make it a hole to remember.

Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
Never cut a pig, but that critter looks like it probably oinked before it got boinked....?

Campfire Kahuna Emeritus &
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
I've used only the knives my buddy George Herron made for about the last twenty-five years. They are incredible.

Rest In Peace, my dear friend.

Steve

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

Mastadon Ivory Herron Folder ... kinda nice grin

[Linked Image]

"God Loves Each Of Us As If There Were Only One Of Us"
Saint Augustine of Hippo - AD 397

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Originally Posted by Klikitarik
On your last one?

I started out on a recent moose with a #103 Buck Skinner, and realized as I was finishing up, that I had never moved on, as I usually do, to my Marbles... don't usually think of the Skinner as being a versatile knife but it did the job alright, and I was at less risk of stabbing myself with the thing I suppose, as I worked alone.

I used a (very dull)Leatherman Charge, that lives in my pocket, to gut the only big game animal I shot last Fall. Just a whitetail buck, no big deal. More of a pain cleaning the 'knife' than it was gutting the deer.

Looked in my pickup for a brand new (sharp as chit)Buck folder but of course couldn't find it until I got home.

Used the Buck to skin the rapidly freezing deer.

Kitchen knives to butcher a week or two later.

IC B2

D
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
D
Wow Dogzapper, that is quite a collection. VERY nice!

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Indeed, nice knife stash Steve!

Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
Yes indeed...

Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by SamOlson

I used a (very dull)Leatherman Charge, that lives in my pocket,

Reminds me of a friend who came around a bend in the river on the first or second day of moose season in an area where the chances of finding a moose were very slim....so he hasn't hunting moose of course. And there was a big bull offering itself up. Well, there was a 338 on hand and it went to work,... quick work, but the Leatherman in his pocket wasn't sharp enough to skin a moose. As I recall, he managed to torture the hide - barely- with that blade, get the guts out, then motor 30 miles downriver and back with proper tools. eek

F
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
F
Originally Posted by dogzapper
I've used only the knives my buddy George Herron made for about the last twenty-five years. They are incredible.

Steve

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

That first, and last one are gorgeous!

IC B3

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
The first one is a Herron Number Two. I've butchered a good many elk and deer, a fair number of mooses and speed goats with it. It may be a many-hundred dollar knife, but is a work knife at heart.

A couple of times, when cutting mooses, if I took a break to rest my fugged-up back, a friend would grab my Herron and put it back to work.

George's blades will do several elk before needing a slight touch-up on the blade. Just bloody incredible.

The top Number Two in the second photo is made of dall sheep horn. It's one-of-a-kind and George made it for me as a surprise present. We shared just a few brews, celebrating the cool knife.

Blessings,

Steve

"God Loves Each Of Us As If There Were Only One Of Us"
Saint Augustine of Hippo - AD 397

L
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
L
Put a "wanted to buy" in the classifieds a couple weeks ago. My last was with an old Case folder a good friend gave me almost 30 years ago�wouldn't you know I somehow lost it after dressing the deer. I found a "replacement" on ebay this week but it won't replace one from a friend. I'm sure that is the sentiment Steve is relaying. Just hope he doesn't lose any of those beauties!

L
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
L
Never get tired of seeing those knives Steve, thanks!

R
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
R

Steve

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

Love that folder..Been bugging Menefee to build me an ivory folder.

THe knives i used this year aint picture worthy. Havalon piranha and a vic parer.They just work.

D
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
D
A Bucklite Max and a Vicoronix Fieldmaster. I used a Gerber saw with a bone blade also.

G
GRF Offline
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
G
Klik; I used my old Buck 119. Too big yes but I use the knife to split the ach bone to open the pelvic channel. figured out early on how to manage the "too long" blade. For skinning once we get the animals home I prefer the Buck Skinner. I find the USA made Buck knives hold an edge very well and are good tools for the price point.

Steve; beautiful knives and great touchstones to a friend.

I hope y'all have grand and wonderful weekends and god smiles on you. smile

George

Last edited by GRF; 01/24/15. Reason: Missing words
K
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
K
Wore this twice this year, but never got to use it.

[Linked Image]

Founder
Ancient Order of the 1895 Winchester

"Come, shall we go and kill us venison?
And yet it irks me the poor dappled fools,
Being native burghers of this desert city,
Should in their own confines with forked heads
Have their round haunches gored."

WS

F
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
F
Buck Vanguard. I love this thing. 'Twas the sharpest knife out-of-the box that I've ever had.

[Linked Image]

FC

"Every day is a holiday, and every meal is a banquet."

- Mrs. FC
C
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
C
I'm down to using a vicky paring knife and a Havalon when hunting.

D
djb Offline
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
D
Originally Posted by Calvin

The 'disposable' pairing knives do work very well where weight is an issue. I pick up Kuhn's at Marshals for like $5 and could carry multiple for the same weight of a normal pocket knife. Bright colors help avoid losing them in the leaves and they even come with a sheath.

http://www.amazon.com/Kuhn-Rikon-4-Inch-Nonstick-Colori/dp/B000GZDY6Q

The truth angers those whom it does not convince
J
Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
J
I've been using a KOA Alpha Wolf in S30V the past few years, including on last fall's buck...

R
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
R
Never cut a pig, but that critter looks like it probably oinked before it got boinked....?

Good eye
[Linked Image]
[img]http://i1120.photobucket.com/a...-ACCE-6F81E426B2B8_zpsz78upheu.mp4[/img]

True fair chase is you in the woods buttnaked with nothing but your finger nails and teeth.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
I've been using this Spyderco Bill Moran for a few years. Not an expensive knife by any means but the ergonomics of the tool have me reaching for it each season.

Crappy stock photo. Sorry

[Linked Image]

L
las Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
L
Gerber Gator, which has a customized "rubber" grip. (Tripper Lab, now 12, but then 3 months). Both were new at the time...used exclusively on Nov 2 moose.

Gerber model "Bear Grillis?" ( The survival flake). Can't stand the guy, but the knife is a good one. Found it on the beach 3 years ago. Used last on 3 caribou Nov 1/2.

Both still need touching up later today. Thanks for reminder!

Of course I had with me my original model Leatherman, not used at all. Got a bigger fancier one around someplace - I think in the PU camper in Soldotna. Never carry it.

The only true cost of having a dog is its death.

Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by Folically_Challenged
Buck Vanguard. I love this thing. 'Twas the sharpest knife out-of-the box that I've ever had.

[Linked Image]

FC

I like Buck knives too and have had a laminated Vanguard for around 20 years. The only picture I have is one that I took to show how thick the hide of a moose is:

[Linked Image]

And they make fine utility knives which is why I often grab mine for opening moose (along the spine) where hair and hide are thick. The edge-holding ability they have was demonstrated well most recently when my #103 kept working well enough that I never thought about going for a sharper knife. (Last time I did that I was operating a Marbles model.)

When I most recently pulled out my Vanguard, I noticed that the edge was very dull and there was a small crack along the edge - so evidently one of the stepsons or their friends had gotten their hands on it. frown (Anyone know if Buck will give their attention to abused blades?)

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Klikitarik;
Good afternoon to you sir, hopefully this finds you and your fine family doing well.

Thanks for the interesting thread and of course thanks to those who've contributed too as it's always an interesting topic for me.

As others have mentioned, I drool every time Steve shows those Heron knives. The top knife in the third photo - horn scales and a bit of a Russell belt knife feel to it - is about perfect to my way of thinking. cool

Anyway we didn't shoot much at our house this fall so I believe this one was used for gutting. It's built from a 52100 blade I picked up on ebay, white maple scales and I cobbled a sheath up one afternoon too.
[Linked Image]

As far as the Buck knife goes, we've been fans of US made Bucks for years and became even more so after touring their factory a half dozen years ago.
[Linked Image]

That visit started my appreciation for their Vantage Pro line of folders and there's always one in my back pocket all season.
[Linked Image]

From what I understand of the good folks at Buck, they're quite good about customer service, so I'd certainly recommend giving them a shout to see what they say on your Vanguard.

Thanks again for the fine read and views Klik and all the best to you and yours this weekend.

Dwayne

The most important stuff in life isn't "stuff"

B
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
B
I shot two deer this past season. Used an old {1972} Puma Game Warden on the first and an olive drab carbon steel Mora clipper on the second.

O
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
O
Knives of Alaska Cub Bear.

"Political Correctness is a doctrine, fostered by a delusional, illogical minority, and rabidly promoted by an unscrupulous mainstream media, which holds forth the proposition that it is entirely possible to pick up a turd by the clean end."
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
I never was very good at sharpening so I have succumbed to the cult of the havalon piranta.

I did loose my good, ancient, hand-me-down case folder on an antelope hunt in Sep. That knife had been on 6 continents and been through 3 wars. That sucked but at some point it was bound to happen.

I've got plenty of somewhat cheaper fixed blade knives but plan to use the piranta for all my big game hunting from now on.

Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
'Cobbled' evidently has different meanings than what I generally think of it as��.very nice cobbling as well as knife-making! Thanks for the kind words and same in return.

R
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
R
Piranta almost exclusively like we have since it came out.... I just don't see the need much for anything else.

And when I do, for whatever reason its not a big name knife.. pair of knives from LEM has done the best for me lately if not using piranta, one a small skinner the other gut hook/filet sort of combo...

We can keep Larry Root and all his idiotic blabber and user names on here, but we can't get Ralph back..... Whiskey Tango Foxtrot, over....
J
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
J

Steve

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

Awesome cutlery you got there, Sir

J
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
J
Originally Posted by RugerM77270
[Linked Image]

What model Zero Tolerance please?

G
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
G
Livin' here in Texas, having critters to skin is easy........

[Linked Image]

Rocky Menfee "16 bore"

[Linked Image]

another one of Rocky's blades.

[Linked Image]

Two handed "Brisket Breaker" by Dale Howe

[Linked Image]

6.5 Mag by Gene Ingram

[Linked Image]

Lil' Dumplin' by Rick Menefee (aka, the "BSWD Boner")

[Linked Image]

#1 Bird and Trout by Gene Ingram

[img]http://i38.photobucket.com/albums/e129/glenn1221/latestgunstuff/IMG_13491_zps7c647914.jpg[/img]

Cold Steel Outdoorsman and "FUBAB" by Rick Menefee

[img]http://i38.photobucket.com/albums/e129/glenn1221/Bear%20Hunt/IMG_0101.jpg[/img]

Randall #28 Woodsman

[img]http://i38.photobucket.com/albums/e129/glenn1221/IMG_0382_zps354698cc.jpg[/img]

Father and son Winstons.

JAPPF,

GWB

Last edited by geedubya; 01/24/15.

A Kill Artist. When I draw, I draw blood.
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
I also like my Buck Vanguard. I have the Cabela's S30V version.

[Linked Image] [Linked Image]

Last edited by Whiptail; 01/24/15.

Quando omni flunkus moritati
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Gutted critters with a medium stockman pocket knife to a Puma Bowie, but most were and will continue to be done with a older Buck 110 with a 440C blade.

Skinned and butchered is done with a variety of knives most of which are Forschner.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger

Nothing like elk, a Leatherman Wave and a Kauffman #15...

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image from i.postimg.cc]
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
Anyone use an Opinel at any point in time? The newer blades seem kind of soft and easily bent, but the older carbon steel blades we used to use for pocket/utility were sharp and easily sharpened as I recall. Haven't used one for awhile but I have put one of the larger ones to use on occasion.

A
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
A
Buck 422 folder with the orange handle. It was given to me as a tip from a client 25 years ago. Had never used a folder, wasn't sure about the "nontraditional" orange handle. Threw it in my knife box.

A year later, in the course of lightening my daypack load, I decided to try that knife. First elk I killed was after 20 inches of powder fell the previous day. Of course I dropped the knife in the snow and it went right to the ground. When I dug it out of the snow I decided that orange handle was the most brilliant idea to ever hit knifedom.....Been carrying that knife in my daypack ever since.

The 422 sharpens easily and holds a pretty good edge. Over the next few years I received two more 422's from clients as tips. They are my backup knives.

Casey

Casey

Not being married to any particular political party sure makes it a lot easier to look at the world more objectively...
Having said that, MAGA.
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Didn't get too bloody this year. The top knife, a light hunter from Gene Ingram dressed and carved up my buck.

[Linked Image]

My Dozier Yukon Pro got a few licks in on my Son-in-Laws bull elk as well.

S
SLM Offline
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
S
Menefee.

[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]

F
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
F
Originally Posted by geedubya
Two handed "Brisket Breaker" by Dale Howe

[Linked Image]

Something about a Negra Modelo that goes well with a hog-skinnin' knife. Here's one with a Ready's 24HCF knife:

[Linked Image]

And with a Kershaw Blur folder:

[Linked Image]

FC

- Mrs. FC
G
GRF Offline
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
G
I look at those beautiful knives, an realized that I should never have one, simply because all of knives spend a good bit of time after every usage in a bleach and water soak. Makes for clean knife but would really screw up the nice wooden, horn and antler handles.

Still love sees pictures of beautiful tools.

Thanks GRF

S
Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
S
This pair

[Linked Image]

And this one did the gut work

[Linked Image]

"Dear Lord, save me from Your followers"
G
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
G

Something about a Negra Modelo that goes well with a hog-skinnin' knife. Here's one with a Ready's 24HCF knife:

[Linked Image]

And with a Kershaw Blur folder:

[Linked Image]

FC

+1

My motto:

I'd rather have a bottle in front of me,
than a frontal lobotomy!!!

Do favor a Negra Modelo now and again.

with pork

[Linked Image]

Fiddle-fartin' around

[Linked Image]

or kickin' back

[Linked Image]
Menefee Swayback

JAPPF,

GWB

C
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
C

I am using just a paring knife 99% of the time.

Couldn't find it on the sheep and ended up using my dull as church buck mayo kaala for the whole thing. I like that knife when it is sharp, but that sucked. The sharpener was "lost" with the vicky - in my pack.

TDN Offline
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Have used the Havalon on the last 4 deer and could not be happier for most of the work.

"You know why nobody panic buys 30-06 ammo? ... Because men with 30-06's don't panic"
S
SLM Offline
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
S
Originally Posted by Steelhead
This pair

[Linked Image]

I like those.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by GRF
all of knives spend a good bit of time after every usage in a bleach and water soak.

Don't forget the rubber gloves and hand-sanitizer before AND after bloodying those blades. And always wear a dust mask. Animal dander is an muchly under-recognized danger that all hunters eventually face. Even those that have household pets, can be susceptable to the occasional sneeze. And don't forget to burn any clothing that comes into contact with animal body fluids, immediately upon contact. Call 911 as soon as you think you've been exposed to even the most minor of germs. Get into the habit of taking antibiotics every morning, right after your One-a-Day.......

G
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
G

Hell's Bells, you're skinnin' critters..........

[Linked Image]

I hear urine is sterile,

Piss on it and wipe it down.

JAPPF,

GWB

Last edited by geedubya; 01/25/15.

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by huntsman22
Originally Posted by GRF
all of knives spend a good bit of time after every usage in a bleach and water soak.

Don't forget the rubber gloves and hand-sanitizer before AND after bloodying those blades. And always wear a dust mask. Animal dander is an muchly under-recognized danger that all hunters eventually face. Even those that have household pets, can be susceptable to the occasional sneeze. And don't forget to burn any clothing that comes into contact with animal body fluids, immediately upon contact. Call 911 as soon as you think you've been exposed to even the most minor of germs. Get into the habit of taking antibiotics every morning, right after your One-a-Day.......

I asked the biologist at Kerr WMA about diseases in hogs and he said they carry stuff like brucellosis, psuedorabies, and tularemia. He said he used to clean them without gloves and would put dip in with bloody hands and says it's a miracle he's still alive. Now he wears gloves and mask.

Quando omni flunkus moritati
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
I've been using an old Puma Hunter's Pal for 14 years now. My wife just started hunting two years ago and I thought she should have a knife of her own, so I just picked up a Bark River Springbok with antique linen micarta scales.

[Linked Image]

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by GRF

huntsman;
laugh laugh laugh
Thanks for the chuckle tonight Don, I hope this finds you well.

I'm pretty sure that the GRF I've come to know a wee bit via the phone and PM's won't need all of the medications prescribed and hopefully he gets a chuckle too. wink

In light of my cyber friend GW upping the ante with porcine testicular photographic contributions - I'll just say I'll see GW's pork bits and raise him one blowed up mulie heart.
[Linked Image]

Now I do realize that this isn't from this year and I'm not wearing the gloves you suggested - but hopefully I can be forgiven both faux pas. wink

I've really enjoyed this thread folks - thanks to all who've contributed and all the best to you and GW and your respective others in the up coming week Don.

Dwayne

PS;
Eldest daughter has actually developed allergies to deer hair and needs to wear gloves now....

I just gotta pack reading glasses along with the knives now - a by product of passing a half decade on this earth no doubt. whistle

Best to you all again.

Last edited by BC30cal; 01/25/15. Reason: added information

The most important stuff in life isn't "stuff"

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by Whiptail
[ Now he wears gloves and mask.

Can't be too careful these days........

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
You might tell yer biologist buddy about these new-fangled protection devices now used by the most discrimination hunters.
Have him google 'haz-mat suit'. Available on Amazon, I reckon......

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
[ says it's a miracle he's still alive.

PRAISE JEEEEZUS........

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
In alpha order;

Bark River Mikro Canadian
Cold Steel Pendleton Light Hunter (loaner)
Harvey King Small Game

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
I keep a few Opinel #8s around. I gave the #8 Trekking style with the red handles to my son's scout patrol. I dumped the little leather lanyard and made a longer and more useful paracord lanyard for them.

Another couple of inexpensive folders that I like are the older Buck 442 and 455 with partially serrated blades. The 455 is so small that it easily fits in the watch pocket on my jeans.

C
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
C
Originally Posted by cwh2

I am using just a paring knife 99% of the time.

Couldn't find it on the sheep and ended up using my dull as church buck mayo kaala for the whole thing. I like that knife when it is sharp, but that sucked. The sharpener was "lost" with the vicky - in my pack.

Amazing how quickly a guy can take apart an animal with a sharp paring knife.

K
krp Offline
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
K
Used this parer on everything from elk to lion. Weighs almost nothing on backpack hunts. Did a javelina last month.

Going to reshape this old carbon knife into a skinning parer, it should be unique.

[Linked Image]

G
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
G
My Clark Kent EDC

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

no phone booth required.

[Linked Image]

just blood and gore.

JAPPF,

GWB

Last edited by geedubya; 01/26/15.

J
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
J
These 3 were used so far this year on deer. Fox was an old pic of the knife. One more weekend coming up.

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by 260Remguy
In alpha order;

Bark River Mikro Canadian
Cold Steel Pendleton Light Hunter (loaner)
Harvey King Small Game

I saw that�.. but save it for later wink

[ Now he wears gloves and mask.

Can't be too careful these days........

I beg to differ. It's far to easy to freeze one's finger tips while wearing rubber gloves versus cotton skinning gloves�.and the 'blood puddle' in the insides is pretty darned handy at -30 when feeling in one's digits quit several minutes previous.

Besides, I think that rubber/latex/nitrile tend to degrade the subtle flavors of fresh warm liver, thinly sliced, when you lay it upon your tongue, fresh with the juices of life ebbing from them. wink

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Is that before the 'dip', or after?....

S
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
S
I typically use the Anza on the far right. Made from a file blade. 2.75 inch blade. Holds an edge quite nicely. However, this year I used the Cold Steel on the far left for my elk. No idea why, I just did.
[Linked Image]

I think these carbon steel Mora's are under rated. For 10.00 they're a heck of a knife.
[Linked Image]

Paired with a 6.5x55.... They just go together.

Stupidity is expensive
If you find yourself in a fair fight, your tactics suck!
L
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
L
I've used this one for 20+ years. It was one of the earliest in ATS34 and it fits me.

[Linked Image]

M
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
M
The last one was with the 25OT dad got me when I was 11. I killed the deer with his 35
[Linked Image]

jpb Offline
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by 284LUVR
I've been using this Spyderco Bill Moran for a few years. Not an expensive knife by any means but the ergonomics of the tool have me reaching for it each season.

Crappy stock photo. Sorry

[Linked Image]

I have the same knife, and it is the one I reach for if I have a big skinning job.

The goofy-looking handle is wonderful to use -- especially by the time you have half-way through skinning a big moose!

John

E
efw Offline
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
E
Tonight utilizing a new gift from 'fire member Kenjs1 on a fawn I shot w/ the ML at beginning of this month:

[Linked Image]

Redhead laminate folder bought on clearance did yeoman's work on Tx hogs

[Linked Image]

And Wyoming pronghorn

[Linked Image]

along w/ my "everyday carry" Cold Steel Code Blue tonto folder and first choice for versatility, the Wyoming knife.

G
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
G
[Linked Image]

Rocky Menefee's interpretation of his brother's "16 bore"

[Linked Image]

Made short work of this Tom

[Linked Image]

JAPPF,

GWB

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
EFW- Lemme know how she works out for you.

Oh- it is sunny and over 70 degrees on my ride home tonight!

When a country is well governed, poverty and a mean condition are something to be ashamed of. When a country is ill governed, riches and honors are something to be ashamed of
. Confucius
T
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
T
Gerber Magnum LST for the outside work, small Gerber LST for inside. The silly assed things are cheap and, once you get an initial edge on them, seem to stay sharp fairly well. If I lose one, I regret the time it took to get it sharp the first time more than the $$. That isn't a bad combination.

I suppose the little knife blade on my Leatherman "Micra" might have to be counted, too.

The only other knife I pack ... and that's only occasionally ... is a Buck Vanguard with a rubber handle and no gut hook. I can't see the point of packing a heavy knife if a light one gets the job done for me. I still use my Buck Special and General and my Gerber LMF but they stay at the truck / at home.

Tom

Anyone who thinks there's two sides to everything hasn't met a M�bius strip.

Here be dragons ...
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
This knife by Twin Blades is the one that I have used to butcher the last few deer I've killed. It has a 4 inch blade of CPM S30V.
[Linked Image]

Harry
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
I've got a bunch of knives. Some are very nice, hand-made, expensive cutlery.

But I always seem to have a Buck 110 on my belt and an old Buck trapper in my pocket. Sometimes a Marbles 99.

Nut

Experience hath shewn, that even under the best forms of government those entrusted with power have, in time, and by slow operations, perverted it into tyranny.

Thomas Jefferson

J
JSH Offline
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
J
Gene Ingram Chukar in Black Ash Burl and S30V.

[Linked Image][Linked Image]

B
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
B
Last I used was a boker plus dozier copy . Great knife for about $45. I have quite a few knives so I switch around quite a bit. My most used knife is a old western folder that I have had for probably35 years. Not an expensive knife but it has dressed a number of deer

G
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
G
Couple more from earlier in the year......

[Linked Image]

Ram's horn Menefee

[Linked Image]

Menefee FUBAB

JAPPF,

GWB

W
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
W
My Buck 110 is my typical go to knife. I do sometimes mix it up with a very nice custom made and three other Bucks. Next year I am going to try a new to me Uncle Henry 153UH Spikehorn.

S
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
S
Not a single Schrade Sharp Finger mentioned?

Stupidity is expensive
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by Snake River Marksman

Sold my old Sharp Finger after not using it for many years. I didn't see the need for carrying a knife only for skinning.

Used my Okamura built knife on the only deer this season.
[Linked Image]

G
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
G

[Linked Image]

Just fer schitz n' giggles..........

JAPPF,

GWB

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
A blade from K.A. Swearingen. Forged 5160H. It cleaned two deer last year, and is still sharp. It is his Elk Skinner II model

[Linked Image]

"...the designer of the .270 Ingwe cartridge!..."

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
I always have one of them with me when hunting whitetails in Indiana. It was my dad's. I really like it.

Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger

Had one of those I picked up 30-some years ago; not sure what happened to it. It never was as sharp as I thought it should have been. Based on that knife, I wasn't much impressed with the steel Schrade was using. I liked the concept of the shape, but it was a bit on the small side for dealing with moose.

S
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
S
I've never owned a sharpfinger. I've been toying with the idea of picking up one of the older carbon steel models I see on E-bay. I have no earthly idea why I'd want to. I've got a drawer full of knives and really don't need another, but I'm sure you all know how these ideas get inside our heads and just won't go away.

Stupidity is expensive
J
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
J
I'm a simpleton compared to you guys. I've been using Puma folders for the past 20 years or so....warden, prince, packer. Love the Havalon Piranta for skinning/caping.

It is irrelevant what you think. What matters is the TRUTH.
D
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
D
These are the three knives that I have used the past several years on deer, elk and antelope.

[Linked Image]

From the left;

- A Custom knife that my brother made for me with S30V steel, and G-10 scales.
- A Dozier Skinner with D-2 steel and Micarta scales.
- A Custom Gut Hook that my buddy from Wyoming made with scales from Pa.

donsm70

Life Member...Safari Club International
Life Member...Rocky Mountain Elk Foundation
Life Member...Keystone Country Elk Alliance
Life Member...National Rifle Association
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
I used a Moki Banff VG10 and a Joel Clark B&T in SV30. Both worked great. Moki handle is a bit slick.

“Life is life and fun is fun, but it's all so quiet when the goldfish die.”
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Like my buddy Pugs says, "were knife sluts".. Here are mine, the Randall 25 Skinner at the bottom I've used the most, to include a bison I killed with ET and Doc Rocket a few years ago, as well as a few African critters. Middle two are still cherry, and the top one, flew with me during my AD days.
[Linked Image]

And this one, an Arno Bernard "elephant" with Big Horn Sheep handle, I just purchased:
[Linked Image]

A good principle to guide me through life: “This is all I have come to expect, standard lackluster performance. Trust nothing, believe no one and realize it will only get worse…”
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
I have a few I use. A Wyoming knife sees a lot of action. So does a CRKT

But my pet is this Bark River Canadian belt knife. Semi custom in Buckeye Burl ( or was it Elder burl ? ) with mosaic pins. Very good skinner.

[Linked Image]

When a country is well governed, poverty and a mean condition are something to be ashamed of. When a country is ill governed, riches and honors are something to be ashamed of
. Confucius
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Originally Posted by geedubya

[Linked Image]

Father and son Winstons.

JAPPF,

GWB

I've got a couple of Winstons on order. A model 22 hunter and a model 40 hunter with matching Maple burl.

Nut

Experience hath shewn, that even under the best forms of government those entrusted with power have, in time, and by slow operations, perverted it into tyranny.

Thomas Jefferson

L
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
L
Used this one as well.[Linked Image]

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger

When I most recently pulled out my Vanguard, I noticed that the edge was very dull and there was a small crack along the edge - so evidently one of the stepsons or their friends had gotten their hands on it. frown (Anyone know if Buck will give their attention to abused blades?)

Yes,,, Buck has one of the best CS dept's in the country.
Send it in and they'll either fix or replace it, no questions asked.

I too like those Vanguard's.
I have all manners of custom and production knives.
My Vanguard doesn't take a back seat to any of them.

[Linked Image]

These days I just shoot yearlings or fawn's from the porch so I just grab what suites my fancy that day.
This year it was my old carbon steel Northwoods B&T.

[Linked Image]

P
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
P
Originally Posted by FieldGrade

Yes,,, Buck has one of the best CS dept's in the country.
Send it in and they'll either fix or replace it, no questions asked.

I too like those Vanguard's.
I have all manners of custom and production knives.
My Vanguard doesn't take a back seat to any of them.

[Linked Image]

I really like the Alaskan Guide line of Buck at Cabela's. All the nice classic-ness of the varguard, but with S30V steel with BOS heat treat. Not a fan of the Logo on the blade, but overall, it makes a good knfe a Great knife.

My last was a Lonewolf Mountainside Drop Point. N680 steel with a stonewash. These guys were gobbled up by Benchmade, and make a good USA product. I have the Drop Point and the Skinner. I am considering adding some liners to the handles. Just for fun, really.

[Linked Image]

G
Campfire Greenhorn
Campfire Greenhorn
G
Most recent was my GS Hunter from Ralston Knives.
[Linked Image]

Prior was his Lil Caper
[Linked Image]

Shot of three ralstons
[Linked Image]

Used the Ingrams and Snow knives a little as well. Really really liking the Ralston knives though

R
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
R
Originally Posted by Jess
Originally Posted by RugerM77270
[Linked Image]

What model Zero Tolerance please?

Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
So many beautiful knives, so few opportunities - relatively- to wear them out. frown

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
[Linked Image]

“Perfection is Achieved Not When There Is Nothing More to Add, But When There Is Nothing Left to Take Away” Antoine de Saint-Exupery
C
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
C
Always an Ingram...

[Linked Image]

Public landowner...
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Menefee semi skinner worked on whitetails this past hunting season...

[Linked Image]

Ingram B&T did the same...

[Linked Image]

Every normal man must be tempted, at times, to spit on his hands, hoist the black flag, and begin slitting throats.
F
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
F
GWB,

What's the bottom knife in the brisket of the set showing your "Clark Kent EDC?"

Thanks.

Frank

G
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
G
Originally Posted by fshaw
GWB,

What's the bottom knife in the brisket of the set showing your "Clark Kent EDC?"

Thanks.

Frank

[Linked Image]

That is my "two handed Brisket-Breaker". Dale Howe who posts here as Mtnman1 fashioned that for me.

Here is his website should you want to contact him outside 24hourcampfire........

http://www.howemtnknives.com/

[Linked Image]

Local custom here is not to field dress, but to bring the carcass back whole to camp where we have a lighted skinning rack. We hang our critters from the hind legs using a gambrell. For years I used a Cold Steel "Outdoorsman" for the task of splitting the brisket in order to facilitate removal of the "innards", but Dale was kind enough to accomodate my request for a knife that I could grasp with two-hands for the downstroke. Yes I could use a hatchet, or camp axe or saw, but I like using a knife.

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

JAPPF,

GWB

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
My knives are nothing special. But as long as they are sharp they work as well as any others.

Coyote Hunter - NRA Patriot Life, NRA Whittington Center Life, GOA, DAD - and I VOTE!

No, I'm not a Ruger bigot - just an unabashed fan of their revolvers, M77's and #1's.

A good .30-06 is a 99% solution.
R
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
R

[Linked Image]

FC

I really like the looks of this one. I need to find one locally to handle. I have big hands, I'm 6'5" and it is hard to find a knife that is comfortable in my hands to work with.

Only a dingleberry, not yet a Turdlike person, maybe someday!!!
Originally Posted by northern_dave
I am happier than a retard in a room full of bouncy balls right now!!

Joe.
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
That's a nice sturdy knife with a pleasant ergos good heft and girth for XL/XXL hands IMO.

P
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
P
The Buck Vanguard is a great pattern. Like I said before, I especially like the Cabela's version with s30v.

F
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
F
My hands are anything but big, but it just fits me well. I believe Bud's Gun Shop has the Vanguards < $50.

I got mine from an online shop in Louisiana. They were a tad more expensive, but service was fine.

FC

- Mrs. FC
F
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
F
GWB,

Thanks. Beautiful knife.

Frank

T
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
T
Originally Posted by Pahntr760
The Buck Vanguard is a great pattern. Like I said before, I especially like the Cabela's version with s30v.

+1.

Heaven has a wall, a gate and strict immigration policy.

Hell has open borders.

Let that sink in.....

I Live for Opening Day!
Page 1 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 6

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

122 members (300_savage, 41rem, 808outdoors, 10gaugemag, 15 invisible), 1,838 guests, and 978 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,387
Posts18,469,711
Members73,931
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.