Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 20 of 26 1 2 18 19 20 21 22 25 26
Campfire Sage
Campfire Sage
Originally Posted by Salty303

We were discussing the whys and why nots of having the best chamnber design (long to take advantage of today's long high BC bullets) and the best twist rate to accommodate these heavier bullets and thinking out loud I threw out what this might mean to Joe 6 pack who is stuck with only factory ammo. I said going with a nice fast twist rate would have no ill effects for Joe 6 pack or anyone else, its a slam dunk. Then I said the above, that going beyond SAAMI throat length may not work the optimum for SAAMI (factory) length ammo. That was nit picking, a "what if" type take on the matter. All I meant is the twist is a no brainer, throat design not necessarily. ie how much of a jump will the bullets be happy with, you'd have to experiment and see.

I realise now I should have left the last bit out I've just muddied the waters with nit picking there. Apologies to all for lack of clarity. Even Big Stick, sort of. grin

Please stop.

Travis

Originally Posted by Geno67
Trump being classless,tasteless and clueless as usual.
Originally Posted by Judman
Sorry, trump is a no tax payin pile of shiit.
Originally Posted by KSMITH
My young wife decided to play the field and had moved several dudes into my house
GB1

M
Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
M
We were discussing the whys and why nots of having the best chamnber design (long to take advantage of today's long high BC bullets) and the best twist rate to accommodate these heavier bullets and thinking out loud I threw out what this might mean to Joe 6 pack who is stuck with only factory ammo. I said going with a nice fast twist rate would have no ill effects for Joe 6 pack or anyone else, its a slam dunk. Then I said the above, that going beyond SAAMI throat length may not work the optimum for SAAMI (factory) length ammo. That was nit picking, a "what if" type take on the matter. All I meant is the twist is a no brainer, throat design not necessarily. ie how much of a jump will the bullets be happy with, you'd have to experiment and see.

I realise now I should have left the last bit out I've just muddied the waters with nit picking there. Apologies to all for lack of clarity. Even Big Stick, sort of. grin

The highlighted parts are what suggest you don't have a handle on it yet. The long VLD type bullets often need a shorter throat.

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by mathman

The highlighted parts are what suggest you don't have a handle on it yet. The long VLD type bullets often need a shorter throat.

OK I get that but help me out here, why are longer than normal throats used by some? Is that just a local thing around here? And I thought that type of design is what was being discussed a couple pages back.

M
Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
M
There is magazine length and then there is throat length.

For example, I shoot a lot of 308 Win. rounds, and I'd love it if my Remington 700 rifles had a bit longer magazines and shorter throats at the same time.

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
OK I'll take the dumb ass award now. Looking at some of the long range bullets drawings I see what you mean that although long the bearing surface isn't they require a short throat. Thanks for setting me straight. I'll go downstairs and sort out my interlocks now...

IC B2

S
Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
S
Originally Posted by mathman
Real long throats could potentially take away from the best accuracy with factory length ammo though.

Then what brought on this comment?

Bless your heart

"Dear Lord, save me from Your followers"
J
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
J
Two questions

1. Who makes the barrels

2. Are you going to throat them out like a Remington and have the bullets jumping .140 to mag feed?

Being able to control throat length is the main reason I go the custom route.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
they are keeping the barrel maker confidential.

J
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
J
Originally Posted by RDFinn
they are keeping the barrel maker confidential.

Count me out then

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
I remember back when John Burns, owner of Grey Bull rifles, came here and he too wanted to keep the barrel maker confidential. Similar type thread as this one with lots of folks, including me, breaking his balls about the barrel maker. One day I just said, well we know that he is using one of the top flight barrel makers and there are no secret barrel makers out there that I'm aware of, so I stopped participating in the back and forth. So the bottom line is his rifles are very accurate and these new rifles come with an accuracy guarantee (I think it's sub MOA but I'm not sure).

IC B3

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Plenty of Remington tubes go sub MOA. MOA guarentee is like a guarentee that a round wheel will roll.

I read "top secret" barrel maker as its probably not one you'd wait in line to buy. If it was, it'd be printed in bold.

Then again, Kentucky Fried Chicken as a secret recipe too...

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
yes, the odds are way in your favor of having an accurate Remington barrel, but it's not guaranteed.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by 16bore

I read "top secret" barrel maker as its probably not one you'd wait in line to buy. If it was, it'd be printed in bold.

Exactly! Keeping the barrel maker confidential means that it's not something to brag about. Probably accurate? Yeah. Considered among the best? Not likely.

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Might be that they intend to source from more than one maker?

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Well then say so. GAP is happy to tell people what barrel they are using. I guess when that barrel is a Bartlein there's nothing to hide.

R
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
R
The guy who runs Accuracy Systems, Inc. (Ruger Mini-14 conversions) keeps his barrel maker a secret too and his guns are phenomenally accurate and just fine in the barrel wear department. It shouldn't be a deal killer, 'specially given Legendary's price point.

Communists: I still hate them even after they changed their name to "liberals".

My boss asked why I wasn't working. I told him I was being a democrat for Halloween.
E
EdM Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
E
How much would one expect them to pay for a barrel given the price of the rifle?

Conduct is the best proof of character.
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
They just might want the flexibility to change suppliers without having to start a new thread on here.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by bobnob17
They just might want the flexibility to change suppliers without having to start a new thread on here.

Originally Posted by EdM
How much would one expect them to pay for a barrel given the price of the rifle?

I think that these last two quotes probably have a lot to do with it. Most of the AR rifle companies advertise exactly the same way as LAW is and nobody seems to get horned up about it. Someone mentioned GAP rifles and to my knowledge the least expensive rifle they make is 3 grand and it wears a B&C stock as well. It does have a custom action though.

S
Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
S
At least most AR companies know how to twist them.

"Dear Lord, save me from Your followers"
Page 20 of 26 1 2 18 19 20 21 22 25 26

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

674 members (1beaver_shooter, 10gaugemag, 10gaugeman, 160user, 1eyedmule, 01Foreman400, 67 invisible), 3,323 guests, and 1,315 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,378
Posts18,469,479
Members73,931
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.