Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 5 of 26 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 25 26
J
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
J
GregW, yes sir. If all a man wants is a "tool" to get the job done, why would he look any further than the weatherby vanguard, ruger american, remington 700 sps, etc? All of those rifles will take a beating, and will probably be accurate enough to satisfy most shooters. Truly, the bottom end of the market is better than it has ever been, and the rifles in the $500-1000 price range will certainly do anything that a man needs to do.

However I appreciate the backstory behind companies such as LAW. The combination of Mark Bansners know how, his High Tech Specialities stocks, and the Ed Brown designed action. I enjoy the minutiae like that. I'm sure a lot of folks couldn't care less, but again, different strokes for different folks.

GB1

G
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
G
Where and how do you do your hunting?

- Greg

Success is found at the intersection of planning, hard work, and stubbornness.
D
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
D
In his pajamas from the basement is my guess

My dog is a member of the "Turd Like Clan"

Covert Trail Cameras are JUNK

3 Time Dinkathon Champion #DinkGOAT

J
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
J
GregW, I fail to see how it matters where and how someone hunts. If all you are looking for is a lightweight, rugged, accurate "tool", there are plenty of sub $1000 rifles that will fit the bill nicely. Why would you even consider a more expensive rifle when the majority of the cheap ones shoot sub-moa, are around 7 pounds, some less, and you could run them over with a truck and not hurt them much?

However, to answer your question, I live in NC, and do most of my hunting in the central and western part of the state. I'll be headed to Africa for plains game in 2016. No, Ive never hunted out west where you live.

O
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
O
Originally Posted by JasonH
I don't view a rifle as a tool. It is a work of art. That's why most of my hunting rifles wear nice walnut stocks.

It all makes sense now.

IC B2

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
I've hunted Africa a grand total of 10 days

PH's love clients with pretty rifles not viewed as a tool

In my hunt report I pointed out that my 20 year old scratched up and rusty but proven Remington 700 in super simple 30-06 was my perfect rifle for hard hunting.....

Some would say they wouldn't drop that kind of $$ and hunt with a utility rifle.....funny

[Linked Image]

I like my rifles but I hunt to hunt....not to pet and admire a rifle

I'm in the "my rifle is a tool" class and performance is it's first and most important job

Maker of the Frankenstud Sling Keeper
G
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
G
GregW, I fail to see how it matters where and how someone hunts

Perfect...

- Greg

S
Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
S
GregW, I fail to see how it matters where and how someone hunts. If all you are looking for is a lightweight, rugged, accurate "tool", there are plenty of sub $1000 rifles that will fit the bill nicely. Why would you even consider a more expensive rifle when the majority of the cheap ones shoot sub-moa, are around 7 pounds, some less, and you could run them over with a truck and not hurt them much?

However, to answer your question, I live in NC, and do most of my hunting in the central and western part of the state. I'll be headed to Africa for plains game in 2016. No, Ive never hunted out west where you live.

I'll be paying more attention to you. If you've hunted North Carolina all your life then you know EVERYTHING about EVERYTHING.

"Dear Lord, save me from Your followers"
J
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
J
So, if I'm hearing you guys correctly, it's not ok to purchase a rifle just because you want to? And it's not ok to want to hunt with nice looking walnut rifles? That's good to know, I've been doing it wrong for 20 years! I'm glad you guys have enlightened me!

GregW, could you please explain how any of the cheap rifles I mentioned will not kill animals west if the Mississippi? Or how LAW rifles are not suitable for you and your clients to use? This is starting to get pretty laughable.

Perhaps If you guys really want someone to give a crap about your opinions, you should try being a little bit less arrogant. Just because you have existed for many years, and shot many rifles, and killed many animals does not make you an expert on all things firearm related.

S
Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
S
Or perhaps you should STFU whilst you are behind.

"Dear Lord, save me from Your followers"
IC B3

Campfire Sage
Campfire Sage
Reed,

You should try and convince whoever needs to be convinced that an 8" twist would be the way to roll in both the .243 and .224 calibered barrels.

It will only help make you more money.

Travis

Originally Posted by Geno67
Trump being classless,tasteless and clueless as usual.
Originally Posted by Judman
Sorry, trump is a no tax payin pile of shiit.
Originally Posted by KSMITH
My young wife decided to play the field and had moved several dudes into my house
G
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
G
Missing the point but it's understandable given your prowess....

- Greg

Campfire Sage
Campfire Sage
Not trying to be disrespectful, or hard to get along with, but do you think that the few folks on this board that are whining about twist rates really represent the shooting public as a whole? Because that's who these rifles are marketed to. At the price point they are coming in at, they aren't much more expensive than a Winchester EW or a Kimber Montana. If folks that hand load want rifles with custom twist rates to suit their favorite bullets, then there are plenty of custom rifle makers out there that are doing that kind of thing......just not at this price point. I guess my point is this, why make such a big deal over something that probably matters so little to the MAJORITY of the folks that will be buying these rifles? It just seems childish to me I guess. We should be welcoming these guys with open arms, not trying to micro manage and second guess. It takes a lot of guts for someone from a gun company to step into the lions den that is this forum. I for one appreciate them coming on here and taking the time to communicate with us.

Slow twists worked great for a lot of years but they greatly limit the versatility of a modern production rifle.

Travis

Originally Posted by Geno67
Trump being classless,tasteless and clueless as usual.
Originally Posted by Judman
Sorry, trump is a no tax payin pile of shiit.
Originally Posted by KSMITH
My young wife decided to play the field and had moved several dudes into my house
J
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
J
Wow steelhead, you really are a super nice guy aren't you? Perhaps you could impart some of your vast knowledge to us? I haven't seen you do anything except sling [bleep]. It's amazing how arrogant you guys are. Absolutely unwilling to hear any opinion except your own.

J
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
J
Originally Posted by dvdegeorge
Your research should bear out the information that a .22-250 and a .243(as well as other chamberings) will perform better across all spectrums with a faster twist rate.A 1:12 twisted .22-250 is only a "C" hair better than 1:14 companies are using as standard. A wagon with wooden wheels was once standard transportation but it's now history due to knowledge learned and modern engineering
There are two customer bases you will be marketing towards and potentially selling to, those that are savvy and those that have not a clue,If you cater towards those that are savvy you grab that market share as well as the clueless,it doesn't work the other way around.
Choose wisely and good luck

Nailed it here.... Sell to those looking for (and planning on taking advantage of) the fast twist and to those who don't care one way or the other...or just to those who don't care. I can't find a reason to limit those you want to market to.

I say this after just rebarreling from a 1/10 to a 1/8 .243.

Edited to add: Big thumbs up on listening to folks here. You can be "industry standard" or you can be better. Sounds like you're shooting for much better.

Last edited by JCMCUBIC; 02/01/15.
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Do NOT get rid of the bottom metal! Thats the most absurd suggestion I've heard. To me, it is an inconvenience to have to cycle the rounds just to empty the magazine. Manufacturers usually do that for one of two reasons, either to save weight while making a mountain type rifle, or to cut cost in order to make a cheap rifle. I don't think Legendary Arms Works is trying to do either of those things.

So, I said all that to say this. Yes, LAW could cater to the 5% of the market that is screaming for faster twist rates, and it probably wouldn't have an adverse effect on anything. However, if they choose not to, they shouldn't be badgered and condemned for it. The fact remains that IF they can turn out a quality rifle, they are going to have some folks at the big companies sitting down and discussing how to improve their product lines. These LAW rifles are A LOT of rifle for the money. Or at least they appear to be at this point.

Thanks again to LAW for jumping into the fire so to speak!

As stated, I would not get rid of that BDL style bottom metal for the reasons already stated. Blind mags are a great way for manufacturers to save money and really benefit the few who are looking to save perhaps a couple of ounces. Just pull the BDL floor plate from your run of the mill 700 and you'll quickly see what I mean. Their aluminum floor plate weighs practically nothing.

As far as a cheek piece is concerned, I'd give serious consideration to make all of the stocks with this feature. More production rifles have them than don't have them especially at this price point. As far as the blind magazine option is concerned, remember the words of Dick Davis regarding the costs involved in changing a stock mold. It is very costly. I replaced the factory bottom metal on my 700 with a Williams steel unit and that thing, while beautifully made, probably added 4-5 ounces more than the cheap aluminum factory BDL unit. I'll bet the LAW unit weighs and ounce or two at most.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
I'm bet the bottom metal pocket is cut....not molded

Injection molded stocks are inserted in this area and the insert is changed out to either bottom metal or blind in the pre molding setup

Maker of the Frankenstud Sling Keeper
T
Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
T
Originally Posted by JCMCUBIC
Originally Posted by dvdegeorge

There are two customer bases you will be marketing towards and potentially selling to, those that are savvy and those that have not a clue,If you cater towards those that are savvy you grab that market share as well as the clueless,it doesn't work the other way around.
Choose wisely and good luck

Nailed it here.... Sell to those looking for (and planning on taking advantage of) the fast twist and to those who don't care one way or the other...or just to those who don't care. I can't find a reason to limit those you want to market to.

I say this after just rebarreling from a 1/10 to a 1/8 .243.

Edited to add: Big thumbs up on listening to folks here. You can be "industry standard" or you can be better. Sounds like you're shooting for much better.

I agree that was probably the best post explaining everything most of us are feeling. I know that I won't be buying any production .224 or .243 caliber rifle that doesn't have at least an 8 twist, unless I'm going to use it as as donor action. I don't see the big deal using a 1:8 unless their barrel maker doesn't make one, it doesn't add any extra cost.

I'm grateful that someone has reached out from a manufacturer and asked what people want in a rifle and I respect that greatly. However, to win my business you have to offer something that I can't get elsewhere. If I can't get the twist I want in a production rifle, I have to order a barrel and take it to a gunsmith to get the rifle I want.

If I want a .243 and not worried about shooting anything but old industry standard bullets, I'm going to buy a much cheaper rifle and pocket the rest of the money for optics. That said, I'd be willing to pay extra to get an 1:8 twist barreled rifle, especially if I can pick it up without the wait times I have on building a custom waiting on barrels, stocks and gunsmiths.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
I would offer both.....the blind mag being about $100 cheaper

When I had two different customs made I paid extra to get a blind mag. For some it is that important.

"Only Christ is the fullness of God's revelation."
Everyday Hunter
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Rich, like I said some people like the blind magazine option, but these guys are trying to keep costs down and making a new mold is costly. I think, and I may be wrong, that Dick Davis of McMillan, said that the total cost to make a new mold was close to 20 grand by the time you broke down all the metal pieces and assembled them for a new mold. These guys are trying to be competitive as far as pricing is concerned and I'd bet that more people would like to see a BDL style bottom metal than not. Same thinking I'm sure went into the twist rates in that way more people use factory ammo than the folks you see here that are probably by and large hand loaders. So they (LAW) roll the dice and try to please the bulk of the market and like Mr. Reed also stated, they will eventually offer a custom line as he stated that would be more like what Mark Bansner offered with his custom rifles.

Page 5 of 26 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 25 26

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

567 members (007FJ, 02bfishn, 160user, 10gaugeman, 16gage, 1Longbow, 59 invisible), 2,491 guests, and 1,289 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,431
Posts18,470,796
Members73,931
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.