Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 1 of 2 1 2
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
had to have the rotator cuff fixed along with a bad tear in the bicep tendon. right handed and of course it was the right shoulder. kinda surprised at the amount of pain now that the block has wore off. sure hoping this intense pain doesn't last for more than a couple days. got the next 16 weeks off from work.

GB1

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Godspeed with your recovery.

Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla!
D
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
D
Get well hopefully your pitching again by the All star break wink

My dog is a member of the "Turd Like Clan"

Covert Trail Cameras are JUNK

3 Time Dinkathon Champion #DinkGOAT

R
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
R
the 16 weeks off would make up for a lot of pain

My diploma is a DD214
G
g5m Offline
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
G
Yep. Not much fun.
Best wishes.

Retired cat herder.

IC B2

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Watched several friends do this and hope I never have to. They all are glad they had it done but it will take about 6 months till you feel the same. Good luck, do the therapy, push some but not too hard.

Parents who say they have good kids..Usually don't!
S
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
S
here's to a speedy and pain free recovery period...

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Crap! I have basically the same surgery scheduled for the 4th! Was hoping it would not be too painful.

Some mornings, it just does not feel worth it to chew through the straps!~
L
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
L
I had the same thing done on August the 15th. I had the complete tear too. It is definitely a slow process. I wish you luck. It's going to hurt badly for 4 or 5 days.

S
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
S
Originally Posted by Seafire
here's to a speedy and pain free recovery period...

This.

The first time I shot myself in the head...

Meniere's Sucks Big Time!!!
IC B3

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Had mine done in '07.
Torn rotator and detached muscle left me with 4 anchors and shoelaces in my shoulder. Several years after the surgery, it's been pretty good. A zing every now and then reminds you it's there and sometimes when you move it it pops and snaps.
Even though it's pretty good, I'm still careful with it. Always think it's going to blowout again But that's me.

Do your therapy religiously when the time comes. Don't do anything stupid even though you may think it's healed or you'll damage it again.
If you haven't already, get and use one of those Iceman machines. Really helps and it was my new best friend for a couple of months.

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Originally Posted by travelingman1
Crap! I have basically the same surgery scheduled for the 4th! Was hoping it would not be too painful.

When I had mine done in June of '07, I did everything I was supposed to and got to pheasant hunt by Thanksgiving. Shot a deer in December too.

Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
I was hoping to be ready for halibut fishing in early May but the doc said don't count on it. Been wondering also what a rifles recoil will do when the time comes.

G
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
G
Didn't the doctor give you any prescription pain meds? Mine did and I had to ask for the next tier up in order to get effective pain control. I had the same exact surgery this past June, in addition to pain meds my surgeon ordered a cold water pump. The first eight weeks of my rehab were passive, I went in and lay down on the table and the PT moved my arm for me. Be sure to take your pain meds one half hour before your therapy appointment and ice you shoulder for one half hour after. A gel cold pad available wherever they sell rehab supplies is easier to use than ice pacs. In my case PT lasted until the end of October, two half hour appts. twice a week. It is a long process, yours may not be as long as mine because I had a complete tear off of the tendon. Remember that you, your doctor and PT are a team, ask questions, give feedback and most importantly follow their instructions to the letter and you will have a successful recovery. Doctors sometimes will tell you that you'll be as good as you are going to be at one year from the date of surgery. In my case, improvement especially in range of motion continued in to the second year. I have had both hips replaced and both shoulders rotator cuff surgery so I have considerable experience with rehab and recovery. While none were a walk in the park, the outcome was well worth it.

Last edited by gunswizard; 01/24/15.
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
That year, I used a .260 for deer and low brass 12 ga. for birdies to be on the safe side. After that season, it's a non-issue for me.

Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
They have me on oxycodone immediate release. 3 pills every 3 hours and it's taking the edge off a little. Not as much as I thought it would.

G
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
G
My doctor released me to deer hunt with my .44 Magnum in November after surgery in early June. In the meantine I had a Decelerator recoil pad put on my rifle. I am sure that most doctors will admonish you to be careful as repair after surgery is not a possibility. My second shoulder was my right and I protect it by not using my right hand to open doors or lift anything much over 25#. As regards an earlier poster's advice to push your therapy, that is not what your doctor or PT will tell you. You will not shorten your recovery time by pushing it, you are more likely to incur damage. When I said that you are a team along with your doctor and your therapist, the most important thing is to do the exercises your PT prescribes for you on your non appointment days. Do not rely on exercising only on the days that you have appointments, your recovery depends on your exercising on off days as well as the days you have an appt..

S
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
S
Originally Posted by JP_Lucas
I had the same thing done on August the 15th. I had the complete tear too. It is definitely a slow process. I wish you luck. It's going to hurt badly for 4 or 5 days.

I'm 6 weeks past rotator cuff repair and biceps tendon release. Everybody's different but I only had pain until the day after surgery, then it was pretty much gone. After you get rid of the sling and start working on range of motion, you'll be breaking up scar tissue and have some pain with that, but it's good pain, because it means progress

A wise man is frequently humbled.

L
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
L
I didn't miss any gun season on deer, just archery.

S
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
S
Could be worse. I have the RC tendon torn and the bicep tendon torn in my right and the RC tendon in my left is completely torn thru. Three different Docs say they can't be fixed except for a complete reverse shoulder replacement.

If God wanted you to walk and carry things on your back, He would not have invented stirrups and pack saddles
Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

99 members (10gaugemag, 308xray, 300_savage, 41rem, 808outdoors, 13 invisible), 1,546 guests, and 921 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,387
Posts18,469,720
Members73,931
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.