Print Thread
Hop To
Page 3 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 6
T
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
T
it has been a long time since any cartridge was really "new"

Guns don't kill people, drivers with cell phones kill people.
GB1

G
OP Offline
G
Originally Posted by K1500
Lots of panties in a wad here over a description in a loading manual...

LOL! Yeah, what the hell did I start? I wish Jamison would have just taken a lump sum payout and moved on. I can see the possibility that his royalties will eventually kill a great cartridge. By then, he and the round will both be dead and someone will steal the 300 Groeder I invented in my post above! Have to tell my kids to keep an eye out for a round a little shorter and fatter than the '06, but skinnier and longer then the WSMs... :P

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by groeder_300
OK, I'll admit that "spiteful" may be a little off, but, to me, I think the point of those descriptions in the manuals is to talk about the merits and peculiarities of each cartridge, just like they do with the other cartridges. I thought the 270 WSM description was decent. With the 300 WSM, I didn't really see a single favorable comment other than the case capacity. And even that couldn't be left alone because the next statement says the RSAUM is slower but more efficient... Another backhand in my opinion. The entire description seems to lead the reader to believe that the 300 WSM is pointless and inferior to the RSAUM. They could have talked about how inferior it was to the RCM, but that would have been too obvious.

I personally don't care if Hornady likes or loads the WSM. I just expect them to be a little more objective, I guess. I don't have anything against ANY cartridge out there. Some I like and some I don't, but I don't consider any of them pointless. Some are possibly redundant, but if we never tried new things, we wouldn't have smokeless powder or ballistic tip bullets.

I only recently heard about the WSM royalty issue. Had I known sooner, I may not have bought any of the WSM calibers. I am on the fence as to whether Jamison deserves anything for a similar design, but I may not have invested in a cartridge with so much baggage. Personally, I'd like to see something like a slightly shorter and slightly fatter case than the 30-06AI, but that would probably be really ridiculous. wink

While I'm not on the fence about what Jamison deserves - I believe he deserves every penny he can get - I don't own any WSMs. Or SAUMs for that matter. They simply don't offer anything of importance to me and I'm quite content with my 7mm RM and .300WM.

As far as Hornady, I say kudos to them for sticking with a production plan that they believe maximizes their revenue. If that plan doesn't include WSM or SAUM or other cartridges that require royalties, that's OK by me.

"Spiteful" was more than "a little off". If you read the .300 SAUM page they reference the .300 WSM as well, stating that "The 300 SAUM has roughly 15% less case capacity than the 300 Winchester Magnum but velocities generally differ by less than 100fps." I'd call that more efficient. With respect to the .300 WSM, Hornady shows the 300 SAUM to be 100fps slower to 50fps faster than the .300 WSM with the same bullet weights.

I expect my load books to be honest in their cartridge evaluations and load data. If two cartridges are as similar as the SAUM and WSM direct comparisons are welcome - just don't give me marketing fluff and BS. I believe Hornady did a good job in their comparison.

"...slightly shorter and slightly fatter case than the 30-06AI"? You mean like the royalty free .300 RCM, which Hornady produces?

Coyote Hunter - NRA Patriot Life, NRA Whittington Center Life, GOA, DAD - and I VOTE!

No, I'm not a Ruger bigot - just an unabashed fan of their revolvers, M77's and #1's.

A good .30-06 is a 99% solution.
G
OP Offline
G
"Spiteful" was more than "a little off".

This is why I usually don't bother to post on any forums any more. Nobody is allowed to have an opinion anymore. I gave an opinion and even said I don't expect anyone to agree, but here you jump in and tell me I'm just wrong. Not giving an opinion, just telling me I'm wrong. I'm out. Life's to short to argue over fly sh*t.

G
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
G

This is why I usually don't bother to post on any forums any more. Nobody is allowed to have an opinion anymore. I gave an opinion and even said I don't expect anyone to agree, but here you jump in and tell me I'm just wrong. Not giving an opinion, just telling me I'm wrong. I'm out. Life's to short to argue over fly sh*t.

Here's how you ended your original post:

"I just felt a need to vent a little about their childish behavior. I don't expect anyone else to agree, just my opinion."

According to your own post, you gave more than just an opinion. You felt the need to vent. When one vents, expect that others will also. Take a big boy pill...get over it...and come back. You'll be welcome. You're among many who have done the same.

IC B2

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
To change the topic slightly. Does anyone know what Jamison is doing these days? Is he completely out of writing? I seldom buy magazines these days so wouldn't know if he still writes anywhere.

Has he been ostracized similar to Zumbo?

With regard to the topic it seems the only thing Jamison did that no one else thought to do was in filing the patents. I'm guessing in future gun companies will be a little quicker on the uptake and start filing their own patents before the little guy does.

Jim

K
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
K
Originally Posted by toad
no, parasites suing big companys and winning happens all the time. the cost just gets passed on to you and me.

'good for them' right?

I am sure you know, but for the ones that dont, one of the claims the judge allowed to go forward was the breach of expressed and implied contract.

It was argued that Olin agreed to the arrangement and then attempted to renegotiate. It was less about the intellectual property and more about bad faith dealings.

Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
So he should have done all the research & development for the cartridge, and not receive anything for it?

I developed my short fat seven thirty-one years ago. Should I get some money from someone for that?

"Only Christ is the fullness of God's revelation."
Everyday Hunter
Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
Hornady is being obstinate about not loading the 300WSM, at least. It is the best-selling cartridge introduction in a long time, and will continue to become the "standard" American magnum cartridge as time goes by. They are simply losing out on the opportunity to make some money, royalties due or not. That's called being stubborn, not smart.

Have you tried to get something custom from Hornady lately? They don't need .300 WSM to make money.

"Only Christ is the fullness of God's revelation."
Everyday Hunter
H
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
H
Originally Posted by Ringman
So he should have done all the research & development for the cartridge, and not receive anything for it?

I developed my short fat seven thirty-one years ago. Should I get some money from someone for that?

Did you patent it, and make a deal with a gun manufacturer up to the point of completed guns, ammo, and product launch, only to have them cancel the deal and reintroduce your short,fat 7 under their own name 9 months later? If so, then why yes, you should.

While it's true that all liberals are crazy people, not all crazy people are liberals.
IC B3

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter

In my opinion you were wrong about �spiteful�. It seemed more like sour grapes on your part than Hornady�s. Your opinion of their Hornady�s response is deeply colored by your disappointment that Hornady doesn�t have any interest in making a type of ammo that you apparently care a good deal about. You see �spiteful� and �childish behavior� where no one else does.

You are also wrong in stating I didn�t give an opinion. I clearly stated �I believe Hornady did a good job in their comparison.�

Opinions are welcome on the �fire but don�t make the mistake of thinking they won�t go unchallenged if others think they are wrong-headed. Be prepared to support your opinions. We all can learn from honest discussion and shouldn�t take disagreement personally.

Welcome to the �fire.

Coyote Hunter - NRA Patriot Life, NRA Whittington Center Life, GOA, DAD - and I VOTE!

No, I'm not a Ruger bigot - just an unabashed fan of their revolvers, M77's and #1's.

A good .30-06 is a 99% solution.
T
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
T

[Linked Image]

This photo is of a 7mm Wade Super Seven on the left, 7 WSM in the middle and .300 WSM on the right. The 7mm Wade Super Seven is listed on page 396 of P. O. Ackley's volume 1 of Handbook for Shooters and Reloaders.

Guns don't kill people, drivers with cell phones kill people.
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Originally Posted by Coyote_Hunter

I guess if you develop a new line of cartridges, someone else basically steals your design and then you go to court to recover damages you are a "parasite"?

That is exactly what happened with Rick Jamison, Winchester and the WSM cartridges. Winchester tried to cheat Jamison, then got taken to court and lost - as they deserved.

A little perspective...

Wildcatting has a long history. It's part of the tradition of handloading. It's not especially expensive for anyone to develop their own. It really comes down to shop drawings, reamers, and forming brass, primers, powder and bullets. It is, however, quite expensive for a factory to offer a new round to the market (I was told by an industry guy around 250K for each new round).

"Winchester" didn't "steal anything from Jamison. Winchester doesn't make ammunition, Olin does.

If anything it would be as appropriate to say Jamison "stole" the short/fats from those before him. I believe the concept started with the Gradle line in the 1950's. There are two local smiths here in my corner of Montana that developed short/fats too. One is an older retired smith that did his with a Weatherby radius shoulder in the 1960's, the other, Dave Gentry, did his on the 404 case in the 1980's. There are others including Wade and HE. So it could be said Jamision profited on others work.

The only thing "unusual" about Jamison's rounds is that he patented "his designs." So while he obviously had a legal standing to sue Olin, he broke with the long tradition of wildcatting in doing so in order to profit from his own and others work.

I have no respect for the man, and think he is symptomatic of our pariah society, but he was apparently within (the sometimes obtuse) body of law that surround US patents.

Jamison took a big ole' chit on handloading tradition... but at least you and I get to pay him every time we buy loaded WSM ammo or brass.

“Perfection is Achieved Not When There Is Nothing More to Add, But When There Is Nothing Left to Take Away” Antoine de Saint-Exupery
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Groeder_300,

Congratulations! You only have 11 posts and already have a flaming thread 6 pages long and counting. My best one was one I started with a question about the merits of belts.

Welcome to the fire.

8mmwapiti

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by 8mmwapiti
Groeder_300,

Congratulations! You only have 11 posts and already have a flaming thread 6 pages long and counting. My best one was one I started with a question about the merits of belts.

Welcome to the fire.

8mmwapiti

Groeder_300,

If you decide to stay around don't worry about agreeing with everyone. If you stand on one side there will always be someone to jump on the other side sometimes just to be contrary. Most threads which go over 3-4 pages have quickly derailed from the original thread. If it bothers you don't read the rest. If I was you I would keep reading, some of these guys are funny in a tongue in cheek kind of way.

G
OP Offline
G
So, I had several responses that I was going to make, but I think it really boils down to this; Opinions are not definitive. They don't use the words "is", "are" or "always" without also including "I think" or "I believe", etc. Since a few of your statements didn't sound like opinions to me, I'll mentally insert those words and assume you are open-minded enough to allow for the possibility that you may be wrong.

I really don't care of Hornady likes or loads for the WSM. What concerns me is that their prejudice carries into their data. With the success or failure of their creation (RCM) being affected, it's hard to believe that they wouldn't try to skew things in their favor. Just read the description of the Creedmoor. Am I giving it more thought than it deserves? Probably.

There, I've taken my "Big boy pill" and will also grow thicker skin.

S
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
S
Originally Posted by Brad
Originally Posted by Coyote_Hunter

I guess if you develop a new line of cartridges, someone else basically steals your design and then you go to court to recover damages you are a "parasite"?

That is exactly what happened with Rick Jamison, Winchester and the WSM cartridges. Winchester tried to cheat Jamison, then got taken to court and lost - as they deserved.

A little perspective...

Wildcatting has a long history. It's part of the tradition of handloading. It's not especially expensive for anyone to develop their own. It really comes down to shop drawings, reamers, and forming brass, primers, powder and bullets. It is, however, quite expensive for a factory to offer a new round to the market (I was told by an industry guy around 250K for each new round).

"Winchester" didn't "steal anything from Jamison. Winchester doesn't make ammunition, Olin does.

If anything it would be as appropriate to say Jamison "stole" the short/fats from those before him. I believe the concept started with the Gradle line in the 1950's. There are two local smiths here in my corner of Montana that developed short/fats too. One is an older retired smith that did his with a Weatherby radius shoulder in the 1960's, the other, Dave Gentry, did his on the 404 case in the 1980's. There are others including Wade and HE. So it could be said Jamision profited on others work.

The only thing "unusual" about Jamison's rounds is that he patented "his designs." So while he obviously had a legal standing to sue Olin, he broke with the long tradition of wildcatting in doing so in order to profit from his own and others work.

I have no respect for the man, and think he is symptomatic of our pariah society, but he was apparently within (the sometimes obtuse) body of law that surround US patents.

Jamison took a big ole' chit on handloading tradition... but at least you and I get to pay him every time we buy loaded WSM ammo or brass.

couldn't agree more Brad.........Jamison came up with nothing really new......just copied from earlier wildcatters

Last edited by sdgunslinger; 01/26/15.
G
OP Offline
G
Originally Posted by barm
Originally Posted by 8mmwapiti
Groeder_300,

Welcome to the fire.

8mmwapiti

Groeder_300,

If you decide to stay around don't worry about agreeing with everyone. If you stand on one side there will always be someone to jump on the other side sometimes just to be contrary. Most threads which go over 3-4 pages have quickly derailed from the original thread. If it bothers you don't read the rest. If I was you I would keep reading, some of these guys are funny in a tongue in cheek kind of way.

Thanks, guys. I appreciate your thoughts. I do realize that I probably took Coyote Hunter's statements too personally. I was pretty surprised at the "interest" that this thread generated. Goes to show that we all take our hobby/sport/livelihood seriously.

G
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
G
You'll also find that some cartridges have an almost "cult" following.

Glad you're recuperating...and back in action. wink

S
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
S
All the more reason to have a loading press!!

Even birds know not to land downwind!
Page 3 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 6

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

565 members (12344mag, 16gage, 10gaugemag, 10Glocks, 01Foreman400, 1badf350, 60 invisible), 2,659 guests, and 1,359 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,459
Posts18,471,175
Members73,934
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.