Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 1,470 of 1,842 1 2 1468 1469 1470 1471 1472 1841 1842
T
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
T
I do my duties and read it all once a year. It takes a long, long, loooooong time tho. smile

Camp is where you make it.
GB1

N
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
N
Gophergunner, I'm having a hard time on Fish Lake. I moved my house 4 times. Finally marking fish constantly but not biting.I have been fishing in the morning after i drop the kids off at school..Been to busy for night fishing, running the kids around.
12 inches of ice here as well ive been walking out or atv.
Ive heard theirs a crappie bite at night on Prior.

R
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
R
Originally Posted by Colorado1135
Originally Posted by Rooster7
Originally Posted by Colorado1135
sorry to put a damper on things. got word tonight my grandpa is in a bad way. He's seen his last hunting season. stage 4 cancer inoperable and untreatable. could use some prayers for grandma and the family. so far 2015 sucks.

Very sorry to hear Ryan. Prayers sent. Is that the grandpa in my neck of the woods? The one you stayed with last summer?

yessir, same one.

frown

The deer hunter does not notice the mountains

"I fear all we have done is to awaken a sleeping giant and fill him with a terrible resolve" - Isoroku Yamamoto

There sure are a lot of America haters that want to live here...

R
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
R
Originally Posted by KeithNyst
Just found this thread last evening about 11pm. What a great read; I worked through the first 80 pages last evening and then had to put down my laptop to get some sleep. Dave, you are doing a wonderful thing for your family and your cousin�s son. I, too, grew up in northern Minnesota, on �da range�. I shot my first deer in 1966 when my dad set me by a big norway pine on opening day. I�ll never forget that morning � it was -22. I wore an old pair of white felt US Army �bunny boots�, as they were called, and toted a 30-40 Krag my dad had bought for me. About 9am a spike buck appeared, just like magic � one minute nothing and then there, not 20 yards, he stood frozen, like me, staring back. I raised the old Krag and pulled the trigger � nothing; the cold temps had frozen the oil on the bolt hammer and it did not fall. I worked the bolt, the spiker stood motionless, and I pulled the trigger again � my very first deer on the ground. When your son is my age, he will remember his first deer as though it was yesterday.

I thought I would mention a tradition our camp started in 1999. My dad was an avid hunter and brought my brothers and me up, as you are your family. He passed away in Sept 1999. At the camp we hung his blaze orange, leather, well-worn, bomber-style hat on a nice set of antlers on the wall. From that day forward, anytime someone in our camp takes a 10-pointer or better, the lucky hunter gets to take down the hat and wear it through the end of the next day. Since 1999, the hat has been worn three times � once by my sister�s husband�s brother, once by me, and this past fall, by my father�s grandson, who shot his first deer at 11 years old � a ten-pointer; he will never forget his first deer and the honor of wearing �the hat� for day.

Welcome Keith! I think you will fit right in here! Like Tzone said, can't wait to hear the stories!

"I fear all we have done is to awaken a sleeping giant and fill him with a terrible resolve" - Isoroku Yamamoto

R
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
R
Originally Posted by noduck
Gophergunner, I'm having a hard time on Fish Lake. I moved my house 4 times. Finally marking fish constantly but not biting.I have been fishing in the morning after i drop the kids off at school..Been to busy for night fishing, running the kids around.
12 inches of ice here as well ive been walking out or atv.
Ive heard theirs a crappie bite at night on Prior.

Here in west central Mn, we are drilling through about 25" or so. Can drive a truck and an Ice Castle pretty much where ever we want. My family and I have been fishing on Little Detroit lake which is connected to Big Detroit lake in Detroit Lakes, MN. (See a connection there lol)

We spent two weekends there and got more northerns than I want to EVER clean again! lol

The only good thing that came out of that (besides the great eating) is that I got very proficient at taking the Y bones out of northerns. I did get a 17" walleye on Saturday at 6 pm when it got dark but other than that it was northerns, a couple bass and 5" perch CONSTANTLY! crazy

IC B2

T
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
T
Fish Lake by Duluth?

T
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
T
Do any of you remember your first post on this thread? Besides Dave. grin

For some reason I remember the day clear as a bell. It was a rainy, crappy August day. I was stuck in a tiny job trailer working on a dam in northern WI,on the Tomahawk River/Willow Flowage.

Weird the stuff we remember.

Last edited by tzone; 01/29/15.

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Thanks for the welcome, fellows. Thought I'd share my story from this past fall with you.

As mentioned on my first post, I've been hunting whitetail on the Minnesota iron range since 1966. I now hunt out of nice permanent stand my son and I built four years ago, which replaced the old metal ladder stand I�d used for years. The stand overlooks a nice cleared field with jackpine, spruce, popple and alder around the perimeter. The longest shot possible is 110 yards. This year I decided to try handgun hunting. I picked up a Contender in 7-30 Waters with a 14� barrel and worked up loads over the summer. It is astoundingly accurate; my best loads gave me sub 1� at 100 yards off a supported bench. On opening day at about 4:45 a nice buck stepped into the far end of the field headed northwest at about 90 yards out. I steadied the contender with the muzzle outside the window and fired � missed ... definite shakes!! The buck was startled, ran a small 20 yard circle out of and right back into the field at the far end. He stopped, locked up solid, and froze there like a statue trying to figure out what was up. I opened the breach, put in another round, and quickly pulled up, took aim and fired. In my haste, I did not to get the muzzle outside of the window, which is supported in the up position by a wood stick on each side. The contender cracked, the buck lurched, and the wooden plywood window jumped up from the muzzle blast, the support sticks fell and the window slammed shut. I could not hear anything from the blast. I opened the window, looked down at the end of the field � the buck had dropped right in his tracks. Here�s a pic of em, an 8-pointer. What a rush!!!

[Linked Image]

Last edited by KeithNyst; 01/28/15.
T
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
T
That's a hellova nice buck Keith! and of course, thanks for the story.

Maybe I missed it in your first post...where in NE MN are you from?

N
Campfire 'Bwana
OP Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
N
Originally Posted by goalie
[Linked Image]

Congrats to mini goalie!!

Something clever here.

IC B3

N
Campfire 'Bwana
OP Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
N
Originally Posted by KeithNyst
Thanks for the welcome, fellows. Thought I'd share my story from this past fall with you.

As mentioned on my first post, I've been hunting whitetail on the Minnesota iron range since 1966. I now hunt out of nice permanent stand my son and I built four years ago, which replaced the old metal ladder stand I�d used for years. The stand overlooks a nice cleared field with jackpine, spruce, popple and alder around the perimeter. The longest shot possible is 110 yards. This year I decided to try handgun hunting. I picked up a Contender in 7-30 Waters with a 14� barrel and worked up loads over the summer. It is astoundingly accurate; my best loads gave me sub 1� at 100 yards off a supported bench. On opening day at about 4:45 a nice buck stepped into the far end of the field headed northwest at about 90 yards out. I steadied the contender with the muzzle outside the window and fired � missed ... definite shakes!! The buck was startled, ran a small 20 yard circle out of and right back into the field at the far end. He stopped, locked up solid, and froze there like a statue trying to figure out what was up. I opened the breach, put in another round, and quickly pulled up, took aim and fired. In my haste, I did not to get the muzzle outside of the window, which is supported in the up position by a wood stick on each side. The contender cracked, the buck lurched, and the wooden plywood window jumped up from the muzzle blast, the support sticks fell and the window slammed shut. I could not hear anything from the blast. I opened the window, looked down at the end of the field � the buck had dropped right in his tracks. Here�s a pic of em, an 8-pointer. What a rush!!!

[Linked Image]
Beautiful range buck.

Welcome Keith, I used to hunt every year with family south of Tower MN.

Something clever here.

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
I grew up on Lake Vermilion (Tower end of the lake). Worked in that traffic infected TC area for too long. Retired a year and a half ago. Wife and I bought and moved to a place between Tower and Embarrass with some land and a pole barn for the toys ... life is good.

Swish ... that 99 of yours brings back an old urge for one. Always wanted one when I was a kid. Think I'll have to start watching Gunbroker to see what a pre-60 EG, R or an F in .300 Savage or .308 go for these days. Remember when the magazines had the page where you could check off any of the different advertisers you wanted info on and the sales catalogs would get mailed to you?

Last edited by KeithNyst; 01/29/15.
M
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
M
A 99 needs to be the house for the .300 Savage cartridge if you want to shoot a .30 caliber, just saying......

It is ideal for your stand location!

I love the .300 Savage. My son has my Dad's 99 and my first deer rifle, a 760 Remington, both .300's. I still have a pair of 722's in .300, one made in 1948, the other in 1951.

Some darn nice 99's show up here in the classifieds off and on....

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Keith,

Welcome.

& that is a very nice buck !

By my browser, you only have about 2900 pages to catch up on.

Paul.

"Kids who grow up hunting, fishing & trapping, do not mug little old Ladies"
N
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
N
Originally Posted by tzone
Fish Lake by Duluth?

Fish Lake in Scott County, just south of Prior Lake

T
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
T
Theres no fish down there silly!

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Originally Posted by mmgravy
A 99 needs to be the house for the .300 Savage cartridge if you want to shoot a .30 caliber, just saying......

It is ideal for your stand location!

Agree, it would be perfect!
[Linked Image]

N
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
N
Maybe i should make a sign and put it by the launch.
NO FISH IN FISH LAKE.

Keep the retards away. Last week on 12inches of ice. I had 2 full size trucks parked side by side and there 8x16 ice castle 30 feet away. I watched from my kitchen window. I was getten nervy on that one.

T
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
T
grin I bet that sign would turn away a few. Give it a shot! laugh

12" should be good enough really.

M
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
M
Yes, a 99 would be sweet there!!

Page 1,470 of 1,842 1 2 1468 1469 1470 1471 1472 1841 1842

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

659 members (1badf350, 007FJ, 160user, 10gaugemag, 1936M71, 1234, 64 invisible), 2,788 guests, and 1,315 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,371
Posts18,469,224
Members73,931
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.