-->
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
Would like to hear from anyone that has use the 30TC on game and what they thought of it ..

Have read all the downside stories about it ,, would like to hear some field use stories .

I came across a new old stock laminate walnut stocked , safety fixed
one over the weekend and couldn't pass it up for the price .

Thanks for your time .

HR IC

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
I have two Icons neither of which in the caliber you have. Not long ago CDNN advertised 30TCs closeouts for $400 new. Personally I think you got yourself a real fine rifle. Let us know how it shoots.

Other than perhaps ammo availability, what would be the downsides?

Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
The same old stories a person hears when any new cartridge comes out.
It just lured me in for some reason ,the laminate is one small chunk of walnut sandwiched between 2 bigger chunks.. came with 2 full factory boxes of ammo .

I've always been one drawn to out of the ordinary stuff .. Just don't see many deep blued and walnut guns anymore ,, figured if it was close to the 308 win would be good enough for a elk hunt when I get back around to going otherwise would flip it get me the Ruger 77/22 22 Hornet I been looking for ..

C
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
C
I owned one very briefly. As designed with the Hornady Superperformance powder it gives slightly better than 308 performance (questionable now given all the new powders out). Supposedly on par with 30-06 velocities out of a short action. The Icons are heavy guns though, the action and bolt are strong as hell. I really like the machined scope bases on the action, one less thing that could be off axis and strong as hell. 5R rifling, great triggers.

I feel incredibly fortunate to have sold it for even money.
I still own an Icon in .243 just because.

Welcome to TN - patron state of shootin’ stuff
E
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
E
I don't personally own one but my boss owns two of them. he has one exactly like you describe and one that is a solid walnut stock. He loves his. They are accurate and the build quality seems very good. He and his son have used them on several deer with great success. He has only shot factory ammo out of it so far but bought dies for it to reload when the need arises. He bought both of his from CDNN and got them for some very good prices for the quality of the guns. Just curious what you had to pay for yours? I almost bought one from CDNN a few months ago but hesitated and now they appear to be gone from the catalog.

IC B2

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
They are heavy for sure, but rock solid with smooth cycling bolts. I feel lucky to have picked up a couple when I did. Starting out, I handled a Venture when they first came out and just didn't care care at all for the stock, so I waited for an opportunity to get an Icon. Once I did, I couldn't wait to get another in the weathershield. I have no issues with the quality of the Icon.

The fact that the Icon didn't make it says alot to me about how difficult it is for a new product line to gain an adequate foothold on the market for new rifles at a given price point.

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

226 members (12344mag, afisher, 6mmbrfan, 257 roberts, 21, 2500HD, 22 invisible), 1,913 guests, and 1,064 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,193,086
Posts18,501,709
Members73,987
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.