Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
P
Campfire Outfitter
OP Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
P
Wait until you hear my rationale before you jump my stuff.

I just got my Weatherby Ultra Lightweight from the 'smith. He glass bedded it for me in my spare stock. That way, if my experiment doesn't work out I can put it back in the original stock and be none the worse for wear.

A little backstory: I posted awhile ago regarding the accuracy problems I've had with this rifle. Granted, they're not designed to be target rifles. A #1 contour barrel is awfully skinny. Weatherby claims 5 3/4 pounds without scope and I believe them. I used to shoot the Federal Premium High Energy load, 180 Partition going 2885, chrono'ed. That load kicked my hind end like no other.

Still, I tried 4 different powders, three different primers, powder charges, seating depths, and the best I could do was about an inch and three-quarters. And yes, I waited between shots. I shot hot. I held tightly, loosely, and in-between. But I never tried a different bullet.

So I got into Tikkas a few years ago and I found what I was looking for. Light (not ultralight, but light, 6 1/4 lbs,) stainless, smooooooth, and accurate. At the time, less than half price compared the the Weatherby. I've got a load for my Tikka -06 that I call "Hammer." 180 grain Partition, 59 grains Hunter, Winchester Magnum primer. It comes out of the tube around 2800 ft/sec. If I need more than my 7mm-08, I have it.

But I really, really like that Weatherby. So I decided to try one last time to make it work. New stock, glass bedding, free floated. And one more thing - try a different bullet.

I have a really accurate load that shoots sub-MOA in 5 different .30-06 rifles. Two Brownings, two Tikkas, and a Weatherby Vanguard. I developed it using 150 Accubonds and Varget powder as a low-recoiling round for my son and nephew. Clocks about 2650 at the muzzle, shoots through deer out to 285 yards, haven't shot it farther but I'm sure it would kill a lot farther.

Well I got to thinking, what about a 150 Accubond going 2850? Almost the same as my 7mm-08 load. Ballistically almost identical, in fact. So I loaded a box with a little more powder and I'm hoping to try it out this weekend. It would be great if I could find something that resonates. Wish me luck.

P

Obey lawful commands. Video interactions. Hold bad cops accountable. Problem solved.

~Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla~

Member #547
Join date 3/09/2001
GB1

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Sounds reasonable. I'd also look at the 155 Scenar if it was me.

If you like a given rifle but don't want recoil, downloading can work. I shoot a Whelen for our Primitive Weapons season, although I'd have bought a .358Win if it was available. Full-house Whelen loads are a dang lot for a 150lb deer. I load the Whelen down to .358Win levels with RL10x and it works great.

Now with even more aplomb
M
Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
M
Another tack would be to try a Garand style match load using 4895 or 4064 and a 165/168 grain bullet.

Here's a quote along these lines from German Salazar:

The Mild Mid-Range Load
One of the fun things about the .30-06 is that you can load it down quite a bit and still retain all of its inherent accuracy. In fact, that's nothing new, as the Frankford Arsenal and Lake City Match and National Match ammo were loaded like this in order to function properly in the M1 Garand without damaging the Garand's somewhat delicate op-rod. This load is really just a duplicate of those old match loads and is extremely accurate. It shouldn't be thought of as a reduced load because the arsenals cranked out millions of rounds just like this and it is a full pressure load, but it's pretty mild in recoil. This is the only load in this article that is suitable for the M1 Garand, or the 1903 Springfield type rifles.

Brass: Lapua (Lake City or Winchester are acceptable substitutes)
Primer: Federal 210M (PMC, CCI BR2 or Winchester WLR are acceptable substitutes)
Powder: H4895, 47.0 gr. (IMR 4895 and IMR 4064 are acceptable substitutes with minor charge adjustment)
Bullet: Sierra 168 gr. Match King moly (all Sierra or Berger 155 gr. are acceptable substitutes) cut the powder charge 1.0 gr. for bare bullets. Seat the bullet for 0.020" jump to the lands.
Muzzle Velocity: Approximately 2720 fps from a 28" barrel.

This load is extremely accurate despite having a lot of air space in the case and the bullet jump which I normally avoid in my loads.

You won't get his velocity, he's using a long Palma barrel.

B
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
B
Sounds like a great use of a nice rifle..

Probably would be an excellent set up for 125 AB's as well..

Semper Fi
G
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
G
I would have sent it back to Weatherby a long time ago! Another member and I both have the same rifle as you and they group sub MOA, his with handloads and mine with just about anything factory. Good luck!

IC B2

P
Campfire Outfitter
OP Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
P

I shot today. I took my time and let the barrel cool. That #1 contour is skinny.

150 grain Accubonds over 48, 49, and 50 grains of Varget.

The best I could do, consistently, was about 1.75." I learned something, though, and I think I'm most of the problem. When I had the technique just perfect I could tell, the recoil was straight back and the bullets touched. If I shifted my grip or didn't maintain proper pressure on the forend the rifle would recoil differently and the groups would open up.

It was definitely noticeable. When I did it just right I'd get touching bullet holes. When I didn't, not so much. As an experiment I let go of the forend and let the rifle free recoil. Big mistake. You could drive a truck through the gap between the bullet holes. The rifle liked a firm grip, but not too firm.

I have a couple different powders to try but I'm not feeling very optimistic.

P

Obey lawful commands. Video interactions. Hold bad cops accountable. Problem solved.

~Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla~

Member #547
Join date 3/09/2001
T
Campfire Greenhorn
Campfire Greenhorn
T
Originally Posted by mathman
Another tack would be to try a Garand style match load using 4895 or 4064 and a 165/168 grain bullet.

That worked in my Ruger No.1-B from day-one when I bought it new back in '87. It groups between .770" and .990" religiously, out of a rifle not universally praised for nth degree accuracy.

I was in to collecting and shooting Model 1903 Springfield rifles back then. My father had a Remington 742 and his "pet load" for that was 46 grains of IMR 4064 behind a 165 grain GameKing, sparked with a CCI BR 2. That load shot great out of every Springfield I had, so I always had plenty of them on hand. Thus, when I bought the No.1, that load, with the substitution of MacthKings for the GameKings my father used, was the first I tried. And since it was sub M.O.A...... Well, "load development" pretty much ended for me without really getting started. Over time, all I've done is tweak the seating depth a bit to compensate for throat wear.

It's still sub-M.O.A. out of that No.1......

Count me in as one who would heartily encourage the OP to try it if he hasn't already.

S
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
S
I was never a big Weatherby fan, but I have to admit, If I had to start over.. for big game hunting, I'd have 3 Weatherby Ultralites...in 243, 7/08, and 338/06....those are the best handling and balanced rifles I think I have ever handled...

R
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
R
It took me three Wby UL's in 280 before I got one that would shoot accurately. It is now the most accurate commercial rifle I own.

The action length of the 6 lug is the same for all standard cartridges. The bolt groove would have to be cut to obtain the stroke necessary to pick up & feed a short action cartridge. You would also have to change the magazine box.

"I never thought I'd live to see the day that a U.S. president would raise an army to invade his own country."
Robert E. Lee
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Apart from the groups that you could drive a truck through, I'd not worry about paper groups that opened up a bit. Might be worth some accuracy penalty for a true lightweight.

Have you tried field positions and shooting at a 6" reactive target?

"Chances Will Be Taken"

IC B3

P
Campfire Outfitter
OP Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
P
Originally Posted by Reloder28
It took me three Wby UL's in 280 before I got one that would shoot accurately. It is now the most accurate commercial rifle I own.

The action length of the 6 lug is the same for all standard cartridges. The bolt groove would have to be cut to obtain the stroke necessary to pick up & feed a short action cartridge. You would also have to change the magazine box.

Re-read my original post. I'm trying to create a load that shoots well from my .30-06 that approximates the ballistics of my 7mm-08.

P

~Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla~

Member #547
Join date 3/09/2001
P
Campfire Outfitter
OP Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
P
Originally Posted by johnw
Apart from the groups that you could drive a truck through, I'd not worry about paper groups that opened up a bit. Might be worth some accuracy penalty for a true lightweight.

Have you tried field positions and shooting at a 6" reactive target?

Not a bad idea. I have a couple of those deer poster targets. I could put them at the 100 and 200 yard butts and fire from a kneeling position.

P

~Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla~

Member #547
Join date 3/09/2001
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Or find a hillside with a bunch of rocks...

"Chances Will Be Taken"

R
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
R
Originally Posted by Pharmseller

Re-read my original post. I'm trying to create a load that shoots well from my .30-06 that approximates the ballistics of my 7mm-08.

P

I stand corrected.

"I never thought I'd live to see the day that a U.S. president would raise an army to invade his own country."
Robert E. Lee
D
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
D
Pharmseller,

Try a Scenar 155 or an A-max 155. With my 30-06 I get 3/4 inch groups with those bullets over 49 grains of Varget but 150 gr Ballistic Tips with the same load group about 2 inches.

He who joyfully marches in rank and file has already earned my contempt. He has been given a large brain by mistake, since for him the spinal cord would suffice.

- Albert Einstein
D
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
D
Originally Posted by doubletap
Pharmseller,

Try a Scenar 155 or an A-max 155. With my 30-06 I get 3/4 inch groups with those bullets over 49 grains of Varget but 150 gr Ballistic Tips with the same load group about 2 inches.

+1

Both are very accurate.

DF

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

306 members (1_deuce, 10gaugemag, 2500HD, 300_savage, 16penny, 260Remguy, 46 invisible), 2,485 guests, and 1,220 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,386
Posts18,469,689
Members73,931
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.