Hop To
Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4
A
Campfire 'Bwana
OP Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
A
erakoteguncoatings.com/finishes/
airfax, VA --(Ammoland.com)- Yesterday, a bill recognizing South Dakota�s freedom to legally carry a concealed firearm without the burdensome requirement of acquiring a concealed pistol permit was introduced in the House of Representatives. Authored by Representative Jim Stalzer (R-11), House Bill 1116 is an important reform to current South Dakota law.

HB 1116 is a necessary update to concealed carry statutes in South Dakota, allowing law-abiding gun owners the ability to protect themselves and their loved ones. In South Dakota, it is already legal to carry a firearm openly, as long as the individual is not prohibited by law from possessing a firearm. However, under current law, if a firearm becomes covered by a coat or if a woman prefers to carry a firearm for self-protection in her purse, one would need to possess a concealed pistol permit.

This permitless carry legislation gives South Dakotans the freedom to choose the best method of carrying for them, based on their attire, gender and/or physical attributes. However, this legislation would also keep in place the current permitting system so that people who obtain a permit could still enjoy the reciprocity agreements that South Dakota has with other states.

HB 1116 is an important pro-gun reform that deserves your support, and your NRA-ILA will keep you updated as this legislation is assigned to committee and moves through the legislative process.

In the meantime, please use the links provided here to thank Representative Stalzer as well as the other 28 cosponsors for their work advancing your Right to Keep and Bear Arms.

You didn't use logic or reason to get into this opinion, I cannot use logic or reason to get you out of it.

You cannot over estimate the unimportance of nearly everything. John Maxwell

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
They tried that last session. Getting a concealed carry permit in South Dakota is trivial and cheap so no real impetus to drop the permit system. And as mentioned there's the reciprocity thing. Law enforcement wanted to keep a string on the bad guys. As currently written the bill would allow anybody, and I mean anybody, to carry a concealed handgun. Not such a good idea I think.

Bill as referred to committee. HB1116

The key elements in human thinking are not numbers but labels of fuzzy sets. -- L. Zadeh

Which explains a lot.
J
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
J
Originally Posted by nighthawk
They tried that last session. Getting a concealed carry permit in South Dakota is trivial and cheap so no real impetus to drop the permit system. And as mentioned there's the reciprocity thing. Law enforcement wanted to keep a string on the bad guys. As currently written the bill would allow anybody, and I mean anybody, to carry a concealed handgun. Not such a good idea I think.

Because the "bad guys" obey the law...seriously?

This is about citizens, who are legally allowed to carry, to carry in the manner they prefer to protect themselves from the "bad guys."

A
Campfire 'Bwana
OP Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
A

Really??

Can you show me the provision that repeals the Federal prohibition of Felons carrying firearms?

You didn't use logic or reason to get into this opinion, I cannot use logic or reason to get you out of it.

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
The 2d Amend wasn't written to help the cops track the bad guys. It was written to protect the law abiding citizens.

“In a time of deceit telling the truth is a revolutionary act.”
― George Orwell

It's not over when you lose. It's over when you quit.
IC B2

J
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
J
Originally Posted by antelope_sniper

Really??

Can you show me the provision that repeals the Federal prohibition of Felons carrying firearms?

Don't bother AS...the koolaid be a flowin' tonight...

A
Campfire 'Bwana
OP Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
A
Originally Posted by Jcubed

Because the "bad guys" obey the law...seriously?

This is about citizens, who are legally allowed to carry, to carry in the manner they prefer to protect themselves from the "bad guys."

In South Dakota all the Democrats live east of the Missouri River.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
the Federal prohibition

Really? Thought you were states' rights guys. (There is a SD felon in possession law BTW.)

Interesting that there's more passion outside than inside the state. Reminds me, I need to renew my pistol permit. Fill out a short form with enough info to do a computer check, same as when a traffic cop pulls you over, and fork over $40 for four years. And walk out the door with the permit in hand and reciprocity. Hideously burdensome.

On the other hand if one of the town's usual suspects (without a felony or crime of violence conviction in the last 15 years) is questioned and has a concealed handgun but no permit he's off the street. There are some spooky characters even in this little town. The State's Attorney here has some good stories. And they do get arrests around Sturgis time, would be a whole 'nother thing if everyone was packing.

The key elements in human thinking are not numbers but labels of fuzzy sets. -- L. Zadeh

Which explains a lot.
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by Rock Chuck
The 2d Amend wasn't written to help the cops track the bad guys. It was written to protect the law abiding citizens.

^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
This

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
The Constitution was written to preserve the liberty of the citizens. That requires some degree of order as in the right to throw your fist stops at my nose.

And I'm not defending where we've ended up, would do quite the opposite. But that's the genesis of American law, instantiate laws which by definition limit freedom to act in order to maintain liberty.

Which explains a lot.
IC B3

J
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
J
Looks like you don't get it.

S
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
S
Just a heads up for those in SD and the rest of the country.

Carrying within 1000 feet of a School Zone without a State Issued permit is a violation of the Federal GFSZ Act of 1995.

What the GFSZ act says it is a felony for anyone to carry a loaded firearm within 1000 feet of a school zone, unless they are in possession of a State issued permit.

Legally carrying in SD without a permit within 1000 feet of a school zone is still a violation of federal law.

Give a man a fish and he eats for a day. Give a man a welfare check, a forty ounce malt liquor, a crack pipe, an Obama phone, free health insurance. and some Air Jordan's and he votes Democrat for a lifetime.
A
Campfire 'Bwana
OP Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
A
the Federal prohibition

Really? Thought you were states' rights guys. (There is a SD felon in possession law BTW.)

Interesting that there's more passion outside than inside the state. Reminds me, I need to renew my pistol permit. Fill out a short form with enough info to do a computer check, same as when a traffic cop pulls you over, and fork over $40 for four years. And walk out the door with the permit in hand and reciprocity. Hideously burdensome.

On the other hand if one of the town's usual suspects (without a felony or crime of violence conviction in the last 15 years) is questioned and has a concealed handgun but no permit he's off the street. There are some spooky characters even in this little town. The State's Attorney here has some good stories. And they do get arrests around Sturgis time, would be a whole 'nother thing if everyone was packing.

Right, and those local cops in small town SD don't know the local felons?

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Oh they do. Happened to talk to the states attorney where I work a couple months ago, had an interesting story. Someone walked into a local establishment with a knife and demanded cash. For whatever reason there wasn't any so apparently frustrated the guy grabbed a bottle of window cleaner on his way out. That silliness bumped it from attempted to armed robbery, a healthy max sentence bump.

Anyway, he mentioned to look out for a car loitering nearby in view of a certain residence. They'd love to get the guy off the street as there's potential for something really bad to happen. Now if they could nail him for carrying without a permit...

Which explains a lot.
A
Campfire 'Bwana
OP Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
A
Oh they do. Happened to talk to the states attorney where I work a couple months ago, had an interesting story. Someone walked into a local establishment with a knife and demanded cash. For whatever reason there wasn't any so apparently frustrated the guy grabbed a bottle of window cleaner on his way out. That silliness bumped it from attempted to armed robbery, a healthy max sentence bump.

Anyway, he mentioned to look out for a car loitering nearby in view of a certain residence. They'd love to get the guy off the street as there's potential for something really bad to happen. Now if they could nail him for carrying without a permit...

So, they got the guy dead to rights for Felon Robbery, and you are salivating over a class 1 misdemeanor for carrying without a permit?

And this is your justification?

How many times did you vote for Tim Johnson?

Last edited by antelope_sniper; 01/31/15.

J
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
J

I said it before...

Seems nighthawk wants to limit citizen's rights so the criminals (you know the people who don't follow the law by definition) can get the one up on them. This logic fails me...completely.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger

Guess not, whatever it is you think I should get. Neither does the great majority of the state.

Which explains a lot.
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Crossing posts -

Constitutional rights are all limited in some way out of necessity. Paradigm example is you don't have the right to cry fire in a crowded theater. Not on all fours but expresses the point of view - The Constitution is not a suicide pact

BTW, again, if you feel the need to carry getting a permit here takes a visit to the sheriff's office and maybe 20 minutes if you chat a bit.

Which explains a lot.
J
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
J
Why limit a citizen's right to defend themselves against criminals?

You seem to think criminals follow the law...

S
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
S
And walk out the door with the permit in hand and reciprocity.

Really, you can carry in IL, CA, OR????

The first time I shot myself in the head...

Meniere's Sucks Big Time!!!
Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

214 members (17CalFan, 2500HD, 10gaugemag, 257_X_50, 10ring1, 1_deuce, 28 invisible), 2,136 guests, and 1,174 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,192,502
Posts18,490,501
Members73,972
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.