Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
S
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
S
Good evening. I'm planning my Early October, 2015 Moose hunt. I'm looking to purchase a good day pack for the trip. I won't be hauling meat with this pack, but it will be used to hold my raingear, lunch, first aid, etc. I'd like to stay away from Camouflage because I'd like to use this pack when traveling Other places around the globe. I went to REI today, and got fitted for a backpack by a very knowledgable staff member.

What pack do you recommend? I'm a bit lost.

GB1

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
For a day pack I use an Eberlestock X2 which doubles as a bit of a meat hauler with a fold down bottom support piece so it can be used as a small pack board. Its got an internal frame and its probably a little more than you need but check out their site they've got a lot of models and they're good product IMO. Most come in various patterns including non cammo.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by Sakohunter264
Good evening. I'm planning my Early October, 2015 Moose hunt. I'm looking to purchase a good day pack for the trip. I won't be hauling meat with this pack, but it will be used to hold my raingear, lunch, first aid, etc. I'd like to stay away from Camouflage because I'd like to use this pack when traveling Other places around the globe. I went to REI today, and got fitted for a backpack by a very knowledgable staff member.

What pack do you recommend? I'm a bit lost.

Hill People Gear Tarahumara or Umlindi.

Originally Posted by Mannlicher
America needs to understand that our troops are not 'disposable'. Each represents a family; Fathers, Mothers, Sons, Daughters, Cousins, Uncles, Aunts... Our Citizens are our most valuable treasure; we waste far too many.
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Personally, rather than carry two packs, I've tried to find a dual purpose pack. It took a couple years and trying several packs but I now have a Paradox. It will pack in a camp, pack out meat, and since it is light as a feather and will compress down tight, it will function well as a daypack.also available in noncamo colors. There is the option of the add-on compression panel that functions as a small daypack.(The name of which is escaping me at the moment)

Gloria In Excelsis Deo!

Originally Posted by Calvin
As far as gear goes.. The poorer (or cheaper) you are, the tougher you need to be.

gpopecustomknives.com

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
The "Day Talon" I think it is.

Gloria In Excelsis Deo!

As far as gear goes.. The poorer (or cheaper) you are, the tougher you need to be.

gpopecustomknives.com

IC B2

S
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
S
I strongly recommend the "Bighorn" by Mystery Ranch, of Montana. It has the space, quality of materials/construction and design to become an essential part of your kit for any trip anywhere.

I use "Foliage" colour in my MR packs so they can be most versatile.

K
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
K
You don't mention if you need the day pack to carry a load as well as day gear. Personally, I would stay away from REI fitting for any pack for loads, not because they are wrong, but because they generally are trying to please a different market. A climbing pack, and a load hauler, should have different attributes IMO. Just my experience with the REI I have been around, that generally, I see much less focus on load lifter functionality. They generally regard it as a way to tighten the load (which it is) more than a way to lift the shoulder straps. Of course, if you don't need any weight carriage it is a non issue.

For a basic day pack without the ability to carry a load there are a lot of great options and load capability is a non issue.

Lightweight Tipi Tents and Hunting Tents https://seekoutside.com/tipis-and-hot-tents/
Backpacks for backpack hunting https://seekoutside.com/hunting-backpacks/
Hot Tent Systemshttps://seekoutside.com/hot-tent-combos/
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by Kevin_T
You don't mention if you need the day pack to carry a load as well as day gear. Personally, I would stay away from REI fitting for any pack for loads, not because they are wrong, but because they generally are trying to please a different market. A climbing pack, and a load hauler, should have different attributes IMO. Just my experience with the REI I have been around, that generally, I see much less focus on load lifter functionality. They generally regard it as a way to tighten the load (which it is) more than a way to lift the shoulder straps. Of course, if you don't need any weight carriage it is a non issue.

For a basic day pack without the ability to carry a load there are a lot of great options and load capability is a non issue.

When in doubt, listen to Kevin. Yes, he makes packs and some of the very best on the market. However, he'll give you straight advice without pushing his own wares and his advice is going to be spot on.

Originally Posted by Mannlicher
America needs to understand that our troops are not 'disposable'. Each represents a family; Fathers, Mothers, Sons, Daughters, Cousins, Uncles, Aunts... Our Citizens are our most valuable treasure; we waste far too many.
T
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
T

Hill People Gear is good stuff, but I went with a Mystery Ranch Sweetpea for a day pack. I'm very pleased with it.

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Originally Posted by 4ager
Originally Posted by Kevin_T

When in doubt, listen to Kevin. Yes, he makes packs and some of the very best on the market. However, he'll give you straight advice without pushing his own wares and his advice is going to be spot on.

Us Paradox owners will "push his wares" for him! laugh

Gloria In Excelsis Deo!

gpopecustomknives.com

IC B3

L
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
L
Originally Posted by tjm10025

Hill People Gear is good stuff, but I went with a Mystery Ranch Sweetpea for a day pack. I'm very pleased with it.

MR should have left the Stick-It pocket on the Sweet Pea.

T
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
T
Originally Posted by LostArra

Didn't know it was gone. I ordered mine last year and they asked if I'd be willing to wait for a few weeks because they were tooling up for a slight re-design. I could have the new one at the old price. I said okay. When it came, it had the stick-it pocket.

I like the package. It adjusts well for my long torso. The belt is very good, even without the live wings, which I ordered. Side pockets hold two one-liter Nalgene bottles. Carries well on rough terrain, though I haven't come close to maxing it out on weight.

L
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
L
Originally Posted by LostArra

Didn't know it was gone. I ordered mine last year and they asked if I'd be willing to wait for a few weeks because they were tooling up for a slight re-design. I could have the new one at the old price. I said okay. When it came, it had the stick-it pocket.

I like the package. It adjusts well for my long torso. The belt is very good, even without the live wings, which I ordered. Side pockets hold two one-liter Nalgene bottles. Carries well on rough terrain, though I haven't come close to maxing it out on weight.

Great pack and even better with the Stick-It which disappeared on the "re-design". Nice grab on getting the old model. I like the tri-zip packs.
http://www.mysteryranch.com/mountain-adventure/hiking-climbing-packs

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
i have a lightly used MR Bighorn in multicam i will make you a deal on... i just have too many damned packs and i like the externals anyways....

mercy triumphs over judgement
R
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
R
Carried a lot of weight in the day with a Kelty 3500 MAP. Fits in the overhead compartment, great hip belt and and shoulder straps. Best one I've used so far and priced right at 100-150 USD.

When people face the possibility of freezing or starving there is little chance they are going to listen to unfounded claims of climate doomsday from a bunch of ultra-rich yacht sailing private jet-setting carbon-spewing hypocrite elites

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

97 members (300_savage, 10gaugemag, 338Rules, 35, 1beaver_shooter, 1eyedmule, 16 invisible), 1,573 guests, and 937 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,193,082
Posts18,501,648
Members73,987
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.