-->
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 4 of 26 1 2 3 4 5 6 25 26
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
I want to address the trigger gaurd and the lack of corner radius.

All those nice sharp edges .....I'm not a fan.....including the stock......radius all those sharp corners

Dump the bottom metal or offer a blind magazine

As hundreds have stated.....twist are too slow

Get your base screw hole pattern correct.....nobody likes a base that hangs over the chamber.....it looks like crap

TiG weld those bolt handles

New chambering.......28 Nosler.....

Maker of the Frankenstud Sling Keeper
GB1

S
Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
S
They are switching to 1-9" for the 243, was already stated, maybe in the other LAW thread.

"Dear Lord, save me from Your followers"
S
Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
S
Originally Posted by Reed
Greetings Campfire,

Apologies for the delay in responding to questions, we are very busy trying to meet the demand. There are a number of questions related to various topics as well some specific poster questions.

Twist rates: I am pleased to tell you that after discussion with Mark and the gunsmithing team we will be changing the twist rate on the 243 to 1 in 9�. It will be reflected on the Web site next week during an update. In addition we are looking into all the other caliber twists to see if they too need �modernized�. For Steelhead, bloodworks, 4ager, darrenk75b, deflave and anyone else who questioned the 243 twist, we listened and changed. Please call the number on the LAWs Website to place your pre-order, we are ready.

Brad: Yes we do have a scale in the shop and all the stocks have and have had weights assigned to them on the High Tech Specialties Web site. As you stated in your post there has been no change to that Web site and the stock weights for a number of years. It is action dependent of course so the weighs are different. I weighed one of the stocks that we are using on the Legendary Arms Works rifles and it weighs 25 ounces, painted, with the aluminum bedding blocks and a Pachmayr Decelerator pad installed.

Stocks and Sales: We will continue to maintain the High Tech Specialties Web site and sell aftermarket stocks there as available. As available means that we will be focusing initially in the stocks for the Legendary Arms Works rifles and fill in the other stocks in production as we can. Mark had over 30 molds including most in left hand. The construction of the stocks has not changed in either the High Tech aftermarkets or the Legendary Arms Works stocks with the exception that the LAWS stocks will now have the aluminum bedding construction. The stocks are hand laid with multiple layers of fiberglass cloth (I believe 8 ounce weight) and the same high strength epoxy materials that Mark has always used. We will be broadening the line late 2015.

With regard to the cheek piece-The Big Five model will have the fine line cheek piece for now. We are discussing the changes to production needed if we want to use that cheek piece on the Closer and Professional. There is some handwork involved which adds to production time but is sure looks nice I will agree. Stay tuned on this one.

More answers and comments to follow. Thank you to everyone who had given us feedback on the rifles.

Ron Spomer reviewed the rifle with Mark Bansner at SHOT and we have posted a video on our Web site here:

Legendary Arms Works

Thank you,

Paul

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by Steelhead
They are switching to 1-9" for the 243, was already stated, maybe in the other LAW thread.

I'm still reading the entire thread and missed that.....thanks Steel

If this company is to survive the product has to fit into today's market.....twist......and head to head price point with Kimber would be nice

A gun shop owner told me last week that he has seen stellar sales of the RAR so much so that Hawkey rifles sales are now slumping

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by tedthorn

All those nice sharp edges .....I'm not a fan.....including the stock......radius all those sharp corners

Appears to be Hawkins BM. Perhaps you can drop them a line.

I'd be willing to bet if you took a poll for the normal gun hobbyist, they'd want BM. Heck, it's 50/50 here on the campfire.

[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]

WWP53D
IC B2

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by SKane
Originally Posted by tedthorn

Appears to be Hawkins BM. Perhaps you can drop them a line.

I'd be willing to bet if you took a poll for the normal gun hobbyist, they'd want BM. Heck, it's 50/50 here on the campfire.

I can go either way and probably have a 50/50 mix in my stash

I would offer both.....the blind mag being about $100 cheaper

S
Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
S
Yeah, not a fan of that bottom metal either. I'd roll it ADL, bottom of stock looks like a 2x4.

[Linked Image]

J
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
J
Do NOT get rid of the bottom metal! Thats the most absurd suggestion I've heard. To me, it is an inconvenience to have to cycle the rounds just to empty the magazine. Manufacturers usually do that for one of two reasons, either to save weight while making a mountain type rifle, or to cut cost in order to make a cheap rifle. I don't think Legendary Arms Works is trying to do either of those things.

I don't think that "hundreds" of people have stated that the twist rates are too slow. A few dedicated, hardcore "rifle loonies" on this board seem to think that everyone out there is rolling their own ammo and shooting small calibers at extreme distances. That simply is not the case. While there are plenty of awesome long range rifles, scopes and cartridges being sold, most of the people that buy them can't shoot them worth a s$&@. They read about the latest greatest thing in a magazine, and they buy it so they can show it off at hunting camp. I have no doubt that some of the folks on this forum that are pushing for the faster twist rates are extremely good riflemen. Heck, I'm sure most of you could probably outshoot me. However the fact remains, that the vast majority of the folks buying rifles today, even middle of the road rifles, simply can't shoot them to their full potential. I would be willing to bet that if you walked into most gunshops during deer season and asked people which twist rate they prefer in a given caliber, they would stare at you like you had a phallus protruding from your forehead. If you want mainstream rifle makers to offer a faster twist rate for a .243, go convince the ammo manufacturers to offer factory loaded ammo with 105-115 grain hunting bullets. I could be very wrong here, but I think that handloading is a dying hobby. Perhaps it's just the area I live in, but most of the guys that handload around here are in the "over 50 crowd".

So, I said all that to say this. Yes, LAW could cater to the 5% of the market that is screaming for faster twist rates, and it probably wouldn't have an adverse effect on anything. However, if they choose not to, they shouldn't be badgered and condemned for it. The fact remains that IF they can turn out a quality rifle, they are going to have some folks at the big companies sitting down and discussing how to improve their product lines. These LAW rifles are A LOT of rifle for the money. Or at least they appear to be at this point.

Thanks again to LAW for jumping into the fire so to speak!

D
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
D
Please tell me what bullets won't shoot from a fast twist ,I'm all ears...

My dog is a member of the "Turd Like Clan"

Covert Trail Cameras are JUNK

3 Time Dinkathon Champion #DinkGOAT

D
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
D
The 1:9 will allow the 105 hpbt and perhaps the amax, but my preference would be to shoot the 105 Berger, which would require 1:8. Still, these do seem to offer much for the price

IC B3

W
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
W
Would be a sin for someone to twist it faster for those who know and those that don't care won't... Just sayin'....

W

"I would build one again, if it were not for my 350RM (grin)."

MtnHtr
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by Steelhead
Yeah, not a fan of that bottom metal either. I'd roll it ADL, bottom of stock looks like a 2x4.

[Linked Image]

yeah.....that's awfully square and I'd bet feels bad in my cary hand

S
Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
S
Originally Posted by JasonH
Do NOT get rid of the bottom metal! Thats the most absurd suggestion I've heard. To me, it is an inconvenience to have to cycle the rounds just to empty the magazine. Manufacturers usually do that for one of two reasons, either to save weight while making a mountain type rifle, or to cut cost in order to make a cheap rifle. I don't think Legendary Arms Works is trying to do either of those things.

I don't think that "hundreds" of people have stated that the twist rates are too slow. A few dedicated, hardcore "rifle loonies" on this board seem to think that everyone out there is rolling their own ammo and shooting small calibers at extreme distances. That simply is not the case. While there are plenty of awesome long range rifles, scopes and cartridges being sold, most of the people that buy them can't shoot them worth a s$&@. They read about the latest greatest thing in a magazine, and they buy it so they can show it off at hunting camp. I have no doubt that some of the folks on this forum that are pushing for the faster twist rates are extremely good riflemen. Heck, I'm sure most of you could probably outshoot me. However the fact remains, that the vast majority of the folks buying rifles today, even middle of the road rifles, simply can't shoot them to their full potential. I would be willing to bet that if you walked into most gunshops during deer season and asked people which twist rate they prefer in a given caliber, they would stare at you like you had a phallus protruding from your forehead. If you want mainstream rifle makers to offer a faster twist rate for a .243, go convince the ammo manufacturers to offer factory loaded ammo with 105-115 grain hunting bullets. I could be very wrong here, but I think that handloading is a dying hobby. Perhaps it's just the area I live in, but most of the guys that handload around here are in the "over 50 crowd".

So, I said all that to say this. Yes, LAW could cater to the 5% of the market that is screaming for faster twist rates, and it probably wouldn't have an adverse effect on anything. However, if they choose not to, they shouldn't be badgered and condemned for it. The fact remains that IF they can turn out a quality rifle, they are going to have some folks at the big companies sitting down and discussing how to improve their product lines. These LAW rifles are A LOT of rifle for the money. Or at least they appear to be at this point.

Thanks again to LAW for jumping into the fire so to speak!

I bet you're the bright one in the family, you silly twit.

If, as you say, so many don't care about twist, then why the [bleep] would they be bothered if it was a 1-8"? That way you cater to those that WANT a faster twist and those that don't have the first [bleep] clue.

Here's another hint, 55's shoot just as well in a 1-8" twist 243 as do 105's.

But please continue with your dumbphucktitude.

B
Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
B

I'm sure Ruger lost out on thousands, even millions of sales for the Ruger American .223 since it's twisted @ 8.........

.243 Win twisted at 8

When I die I hope I don't start voting democrat.
J
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
J
Why do you guys think that a manufacturer should cater to what YOU want? These are not, "Legendary Arms Works, designed by members of 24 hour campfire". These are production grade hunting rifles, and not very expensive rifles at that. These are middle of the road as far as price goes......perhaps even the low end of the middle market. These are not even "semi-custom" hunting rifles, as your only options are the caliber. These are simply a new twist on production grade hunting rifles. The stock is better than the bell and carlsons that most $1000-1500 rifles are using these days, and the action is something different. The last time the Ed Brown action was on the market, it was over $3000 if I remember correctly.

I certainly don't mind you guys having an opinion, and I'm not discounting the fact that you are making some valid points. However, to come on here and say that the company doesn't know what they are doing because you don't agree with the twist rate for a few calibers is a profoundly stupid statement. The arrogance of some of the folks on this board is almost unbelievable sometimes. Even if you think that you do know it all, please don't come on here and act like it. Some of you guys act like the manufacturer is stupid for not listening to your ideas about rifle design, again pretty laughable. When you pony up the money and become an investor in the venture, perhaps they will give you a seat at the design table.

I feel as though they are being very responsive by changing the .243 twist rate to 1:9.

At any rate, I have ordered one of the "closer" models in .243. Im waiting for someone from LAW to contact my dealer about payment and production schedules. Is it a gamble, yes. However I think it's a pretty safe bet that the rifles are going to be very nice.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Sooooo $1500 is the middle of the road price point these days.....funny

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
If you pulled up to their house with a dump truck load of money, we have some folks here that would bitch and moan because it wasn't stacked and counted.

[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]

WWP53D
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
I'd prefer it stacked and counted.....wouldn't mind it in cardboard office boxes with lids also

J
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
J
SKane, I'm starting to see that!

tedthorn, I would say that $1500 is absolutely middle of the road. Go take a look at Blaser, Steyr, Kilamanjaro Rifles, Jarrett Rifles, Dakota Rifles, Nesika, Proof Research, Cooper, Lazzeroni.......the list goes on. You are going to burn $3000-5000 with most of those brands, and $15,000-20,000 with at least one of them.

Granted, some of them are more custom than production, but when you consider what LAW is offering, it starts to sound like a downright bargain.

I for one am sick of walking into a gunshop full of black plastic wonders. I don't give a darn how well they shoot......they are cosmetic abominations IMHO. I appreciate craftsmanship and innovation. I don't view a rifle as a tool. It is a work of art. That's why most of my hunting rifles wear nice walnut stocks. However there are certainly situations that call for synthetic stocks, and if I'm going to buy one, I certainly don't want it to look like Rubbermaids attempt at rifle design.......Ruger American, Winchester XPR, Remington 783, etc. That is why I have chosen to spend my hard earned money on a LAW rifle. In the end, there are plenty of choices for everyone. That's the great thing about the gun culture here in the United States. We are spolied rotten with awesome firearms!

G
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
G
Rifles first as art and then a tool?

Explains your posts at least...

- Greg

Success is found at the intersection of planning, hard work, and stubbornness.
Page 4 of 26 1 2 3 4 5 6 25 26

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

554 members (007FJ, 1234, 10gaugemag, 12344mag, 16gage, 10Glocks, 56 invisible), 2,709 guests, and 1,360 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,460
Posts18,471,239
Members73,934
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.