Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 2 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 6
S
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
S
I don't know what dept is. I've always saved and paid cash for anything I've got. In 4 months I'll be paying cash for another place I'll be buying. I figure I've saved to the tune of $180,000 dollars in interest and that buys a lot of guns and pays for a lot of hunts. I don't really make that much money so the $180,000 dollars I didn't give to creditors goes a long ways.

Shod

The 6.5 Swede, Before Gay Was Ok
GB1

D
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
D
Like most of you, I have more guns than I need,but only hunt with a few,and the rest can be a pain in the azz.I catch myself dragging them out,and wiping them down,and putting them back ,and that's all the action the majority of them see.I used to enjoy being able to put them in my gun cabinets,but nowdays you gotta keep them in a safe,or at least well hidden,so I say you would be wise to sell the ones that aint getting used ,but I would either sell right now while folks have tax refund cash,or wait till fall .I trade around on guns sometimes,and around here decent guns with decent glass aint appreciated by this 30 something generation.They would rather buy a plastic gun,and throw on a tacky,huge azz chinese scope .I just sold a 308 to a guy that had his tax refund burning o hole in his pocket.He asked what else I would sell.I show him an old,but nice 77 with 2-7 Redfield,and he just commented "Nice gun,but I hate the scope",then he started bragging about some chineese scope with electric zoom that he got on Ebay..

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
It can be a PITA. And I have thinned the herd quite a bit.

I still probably have 50-60 guns within 20 ft of me right now.... grin

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
20 something's driving $40k trucks and living with mom & dad sell the lowest and buy the highest.

TC1 Offline
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by CowboyTim
I have decided to pay off ALL my debt(excepting my mortgage) in 2015. I'm considering selling a LOT of my hunting/fishing gear if I need to to make that happen. Right now I have a 30-06, .308, .300 Win Mag, .270, 8x57(barreled action) and a donor action Mauser; 2 12 gauges and 3 .22s.

I figure if I go that route, I'll take it down to a CZ-550 .270 a Ruger 10/22 and an old Coast to Coast 12ga pump. Have yet to decide on a "debt deadline" to get it paid off before selling the guns...

I could get by just fine on those three and never miss a hunt, just don't really want to(I have my reasons for those choices). Has anyone else here had similar thoughts? Seems like more and more this world is coming to borrowing money you don't have, to buy stuff you don't need, to impress people you don't even like...and I'm done. Anyone else feel the same way?

I've done it before. Just make just you don't turn around and get yourself back in debt again and have nothing to sell the second time around. I've seen that happen more than a few times. If you can get yourself out of debt without selling them you're even better off. Guns in the safe are somewhat like money in the bank.

IC B2

J
Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
J
More power to you Cowboy. Cash is king and always will be. I thinned out my guns a few years ago as well. I realized I don't get all woozy about having rifles to look at that I never use. I have zero regrets.

It is irrelevant what you think. What matters is the TRUTH.
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Originally Posted by 1Deernut
You've lost your friggin mind. Charge up more debt buying more guns. Even if your bankrupt, you can still kill stuff.

Get your priorities straight!

Didn't get a single rise out anyone here on the 'Fire. You guys are getting good at ignoring the idiots! laugh

Last edited by 1Deernut; 02/05/15.

Nut

Experience hath shewn, that even under the best forms of government those entrusted with power have, in time, and by slow operations, perverted it into tyranny.

Thomas Jefferson

F
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
F
Peace of mind is a priceless thing.

Selling those guns that don't get hunted might affirm to yourself that you'll really get the debt disposed of. As was said, there may not be an awful lot of dollars that come from the sale, but the symbolism of making that choice may well steel your resolve to see it all through.

If they're not family heirlooms, or outright tack drivers, I see more upside than down in selling them. And once you've tackled the debt, you'll feel like a king if/when you decide to replace them, 'cause you'll do it with cash.

Keep us updated on the journey. I'm thinking you need to host a party for us once you've paid it all off!

FC

"Every day is a holiday, and every meal is a banquet."

- Mrs. FC
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
A party for this group would drive him further into debt than he already is.

Nut

Experience hath shewn, that even under the best forms of government those entrusted with power have, in time, and by slow operations, perverted it into tyranny.

Thomas Jefferson

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Understatement of the year.

I did a lot of drinking in Wisconsin. Would have no trouble doing it again grin

Time for a quick shot, and out to snow blow I go grin

IC B3

S
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
S
One of the best financial decisions I've made was to remain single for the last 6 years after my divorce. grin

I doubt I'll ever get married again.....

If I meet a woman who is financially intelligent and is a contributor not a burden, I would consider it.

The Moral of this story is if you have a girl friend you may be able to keep your rifles if your willing to get rid of her.

Shod

S
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
S
IMHO...Get debt free ASAP!!!! Then build your dream Firearm collection because you are DEBT FREE!!! ScottyO.

O
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
O
Originally Posted by gerrygoat
Sounds like a good plan, when your goals are complete you can always add again if you wish.

This ^^^^^

Originally Posted by Gansettx
... don't get rid of anything sentimental, all others can be replaced once things get back in order ...

And this ^^^^^

I am down to one .22LR, one shotgun, and 4 centerfire rifles, of which 2 are looking for new homes...

Last edited by Orion2000; 02/05/15.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by Shodd
One of the best financial decisions I've made was to remain single for the last 6 years after my divorce. grin

Albeit by choice or not, I'm sure.......... shocked laugh

C
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
C
Originally Posted by Orion2000
Originally Posted by gerrygoat
Sounds like a good plan, when your goals are complete you can always add again if you wish.

This ^^^^^

Originally Posted by Gansettx
... don't get rid of anything sentimental, all others can be replaced once things get back in order ...

And this ^^^^^

I am down to one .22LR, one shotgun, and 4 centerfire rifles, of which 2 are looking for new homes...

The only one I have any sentimental attachment to is the 10/22(my first real rifle, Dad gave it to me when I was 12). Looking at selling my Model 99, Mark VII, Uplander and 452 for now. My 30/06 is my loaner rifle and a buddy that can't afford a rifle is using it(I may sell that and loan him the 99).

Anyway I'm under 8000 in consumer debt right now. I figure that I could get about 2000(roughly) by selling some guns that would completely pay off 2 debts and let me pay the others off faster. My TOTAL debt is around 68,000 right now. I'm making a budget and a plan to pay it off over the next 24 months along with an aggressive savings plan to help fund an early retirement in 15 years.

Mauser Rescue Society
Founder, President, and Chairman

I don't always shoot Mausers, but when I do...I prefer VZ-24s.

jdi do píči
C
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
C
Originally Posted by Folically_Challenged
Peace of mind is a priceless thing.

Selling those guns that don't get hunted might affirm to yourself that you'll really get the debt disposed of. As was said, there may not be an awful lot of dollars that come from the sale, but the symbolism of making that choice may well steel your resolve to see it all through.

If they're not family heirlooms, or outright tack drivers, I see more upside than down in selling them. And once you've tackled the debt, you'll feel like a king if/when you decide to replace them, 'cause you'll do it with cash.

Keep us updated on the journey. I'm thinking you need to host a party for us once you've paid it all off!

FC

You're right, it isn't so much about the money, it's about the commitment to making my money work for me not the other way around. After all "Money is a terrible master but an excellent servant." - PT Barnum

I only have 2 rifles that are absolutely not going anywhere, the rest are disposable...

Mauser Rescue Society
Founder, President, and Chairman

I don't always shoot Mausers, but when I do...I prefer VZ-24s.

jdi do píči
S
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
S
Originally Posted by 2muchgun
Originally Posted by Shodd

Albeit by choice or not, I'm sure.......... shocked laugh

Hey....I resemble that remark! laugh

Shod

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by RWE
sell what you have to.

I'd rather be debt free than gun heavy.

+1,000

D
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
D
It's just stuff. Sell them and get out of debt. The peace of mind is well worth it.

C
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
C
With all the new rifles hitting the market, selling your rifles, getting debt free, and starting over again might be the best move you could possibly make. Get debt free and in the 1st year get a Kimber Montana. Year 2 get a Forbes. Year 3 get a full custom. Done and you'll have a better battery than most.

Page 2 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 6

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

614 members (10gaugeman, 160user, 1936M71, 10ring1, 1beaver_shooter, 10gaugemag, 68 invisible), 3,114 guests, and 1,295 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,382
Posts18,469,572
Members73,931
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.