-->
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 4 of 5 1 2 3 4 5
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Have it spend a little time down in the "Now that we know what ..." thread in the Miscellaneous forum.

Not a real member - just an ordinary guy who appreciates being able to hang around and say something once in awhile.

Happily Trapped In the Past (Thanks, Joe)

Not only a less than minimally educated person, but stupid and out of touch as well.
HR IC

T
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
T
tag

Molɔ̀ːn Labé
Grandpa:the road to hell is paved with good intentions.
Dad:son you have 2 choices for supper eat or don't eat.
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by Yondering
Originally Posted by shortactionsmoker

Ruger's head of product development passed that info on to me at SHOT. Unfortunately, I didn't ask "when". The stock on the rifle I handled from their display was noticeably stiffer.

My Predator arrived last week, direct from Ruger, with the stiffer forend. It seems reasonably stiff to me, although it still needs some relief in the barrel channel at the front end.

[Linked Image]

Thanks for that first new and improved stock I've seen that's a better design with all the diagonals looks like thicker guage material too.

S
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
S
Originally Posted by Salty303
Originally Posted by Yondering
Originally Posted by shortactionsmoker

Ruger's head of product development passed that info on to me at SHOT. Unfortunately, I didn't ask "when". The stock on the rifle I handled from their display was noticeably stiffer.

My Predator arrived last week, direct from Ruger, with the stiffer forend. It seems reasonably stiff to me, although it still needs some relief in the barrel channel at the front end.

[Linked Image]

Thanks for that first new and improved stock I've seen that's a better design with all the diagonals looks like thicker guage material too.

Wonder how much that's going to make the price go up?

Shod

The 6.5 Swede, Before Gay Was Ok
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
The small dealer wholesale price at my favorite wholesaler went up $20 recently, on the Predators and Ranch Rifles that change was from $310 to $330. Don't why, but it did.

I'm going over to Cabela's after I shower and buy a couple of RARs; Predators in 204, 223, and 6.5 Creed. 3 RRs in 223, 'cause 2 guys in CO and 1 guy in KS asked me to buy for them if they are available. The gun counter guy a Cabela's told me that they had Predators and RRs, but he wouldn't (or couldn't) tell me if they had them for all chamberings cataloged.

Last edited by 260Remguy; 02/05/15.
IC B2

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Straw purchase?

[the member formerly known as fluffy}
P
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
P
Originally Posted by fluffy
Straw purchase?

Assume much?

Send them to their FFL, all legit. Seems the liberal poision may be leaking in to your water supply?

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
The RAR RR's were going to be gifts, but Cabela's didn't have any when I was there at 9:00 AM. No RAR Predators in 204, 1 in 223, and 3 in 6.5. I ended up with a 6.5 Creed and decided that I'd get the 204 and 223 when Ruger is able to produce enough RAR Predators to meet demand.

EDIT: Got the RAR Pred in 6.5 Creed home, cleaned, and mounted/bore-sighted with a Redfield Revolution 3-9x40 in Warne Maximas. Hope to get to the range and give it a try when the weather cooperates.

Last edited by 260Remguy; 02/05/15. Reason: Added comment
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
The Predator I bought in Decemebr from Cabelas has a stock that looks just like the one above. (I.e., the new stye.)

It was $420, so reflected the $20 increase.

I posted these comments and pictures on the thread about mechanical issues, but it seems relevant here also.

I think my stock was still touching sometimes, so I put some steel bed in the five inches of the fore end. (Starting at the tip.)It added two ounces to the rifle IIRC. But the problem with the stock tapping the barrel and getting two groups is gone.

I made it to the range yesterday. It was WINDY. 10-15 and gusts. It was coming down the mountain at me and causing some weird vertical in all four rifles I shot. I tried to shoot between gusts, but it was impossible and you can see some extra vertical in the targets.

The first picture is the same load I was shooting previously. The first picture says "sighter", and the bullet hole on the bottom right was my first shot. I corrected up and left and shot the four round group.

The second pic is of the same load, but seated deeper. Then there are two loads with Varget. I am certain the groups would be better on a less windy day.

For the cost, I'm very happy with the rifle. The "fix" cost $6 and a few minutes.

The dots are one inch.

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

The never-ending flight
Of future days.
Paradise Lost. Book ii. Line 221
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
Thanks for the update IDMilton. Steel-bed and the new forearm seem to be working.

I'll be interested in hearing how it does once you start shooting from field positions. I think shooting uphill, downhill, off of different surfaces, and in contorted positions can affect the plastic stocks. Hopefully you've cured the problem and can just shoot it.

I'll probably go plywood, but will take another look at a band-aid later today.

IC B3

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Yeah, I need to shot over my pack and see how it does. I was out of time and it was too windy yesterday so I'll have to try it later. I did shoot from the bipod right before I left. I was wasting so much time waiting for the wind to stop gusting I stopped at three. (And I was already late!)
[Linked Image]

Here's a picture of the rifle. Now its shooting well, my gun A.D.D. will probable kick in and I'll sell it and try a stainless one in 7-08. It's a sickness!
[Linked Image]

The never-ending flight
Of future days.
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
The bipod is a great test. Seems fine, especially the conditions.

Did you dork with the trigger yet? You can pitch the trigger spring, if you keep the blade for reset. I pitched the blade, but had to add a wimpy trigger spring for reliable reset. Easy to take all of it out for a trial... then decide what you like from there.

Pic below shows the wimpy spring used for reset, but its been cut in half, at least. Pick points to the new spring before getting chopped (with OEM spring below it)... and blade is now gone.

[Linked Image]

Last edited by 4th_point; 02/06/15.
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
What cartridge?

N
Campfire Regular
Online Content
Campfire Regular
N
Originally Posted by NTG
For giggles one of you should tightly wrap the forearm and barrel together with electrical tap and see how that works for your groups.

4th_point, are you going to try taping the forearm to the barrel like NTG suggests above?
Sounds like to me that it might work for those that are having problems maintaining their POA/POI..

It's a great life if you don't weaken..
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
4th Point, I haven't touched the trigger springs. It feels good to me so I just left it alone.

260Remguy, mine is in 6.5 Creedmoor. With the H4350 I'm at about 2650. With the Varget, I'm at 2560. (With an ES in the teens.) Both with Hornady brass, Tula LRM, and the 140 A-max.

Last edited by IDMilton; 02/06/15. Reason: a vs an

The never-ending flight
Of future days.
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by Nrut
4th_point, are you going to try taping the forearm to the barrel like NTG suggests above?
Sounds like to me that it might work for those that are having problems maintaining their POA/POI..

Yeah, NTG made that suggestion awhile back. At the time I thought about adding a pressure point, separating the barrel and stock, but never considered squeezing them together. Would be interesting to try.

Seems like the wrap would be a good way to verify a rifle/load is in the ballpark. But I'm thinking my RAR and load are going to shoot well based on what I've seen so far and don't know how I'd incorporate a wrap in to the longterm fix (i.e. pulling the barrel down into the stock). Although the gist is to stiffen the barrel/stock assembly I don't know if pulling the barrel down is the same as pushing it up.

Thoughts?

N
NTG Offline
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
N
My suggestion is not a permanent fix, mostly just a test to see how it will shoot after taking the variability out of the stock by isolating it's movement in relation to the barrel.

Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
That's what I figured. Good idea for the future.

N
NTG Offline
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
N
It seems I read somewhere where someone wrapped the barrel a few times so the electrical tape had constant contact with the stock and then heated the stock with a heat gun just enough to reset the plastics memory (ideally). I don't remember reading that they tested it out before and after, however. Just sharing another idea that someone may want to play with.

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Taping the barrel to the forend of the stock will make the wandering zero problem worse.

If someone doesn't want to bother to fix the problem by reinforcing the fulcrum point of the stock, the simplest method to eliminate any changes in zero due to erratic stock flexing is to simply remove material in the forend to provide sufficient clearance in the barrel channel so that when the forearm flexes it doesn't touch the barrel.

The heat gun idea is the same principle.

It ain't all burritos and strippers my friends...
Page 4 of 5 1 2 3 4 5

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

102 members (1_deuce, 10gaugemag, 300_savage, 2ndwind, 6MMWASP, 17 invisible), 1,602 guests, and 950 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,192,242
Posts18,485,919
Members73,967
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.