-->
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
U
OP Offline
U
After a 35 year wait, finally coming back to Canada for a fishing trip! Last time was WAWA a long long time ago. Bringing my sons up to celebrate one son's 21st birthday. My appreciation of the outdoors started with my WAWA trip all those years ago. That appreciation has been shared with my sons with our camping and MX riding through the years. Unfortunately, I can no longer ride due to injuries. The fishing trip was my son's b-day wish since we can't swing a Yukon trip (his first choice). Reservations made for Northern Woods Lodge on Long Lake in Ontario (north of Terrace Bay). Looking for any advice, suggested fishing tips (tackle, bait) and especially area specific info that will make the trip enjoyable. Thanks for your time.

GB1

W
Campfire Kahuna
Online Content
Campfire Kahuna
W
Welcome to the "fire", My first advise is, wear a PFD when you are anywhere near water.

I have not found the location, I may be a bit dull in that regard.

These premises insured by a Sheltie in Training ,--- and Cooey.o
"May the Good Lord take a likin' to you"
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
I have known Terry and Lorna Wood for 24 years. They built NWL in 2005 and I have been up every year since 2006. What time of the year are you going? I will put up pictures and advice tomorrow.

U
OP Offline
U
We have reservations to go up July 4, 2015. Thanks for the welcome Wabigoon. As for location, looks like it's 30 miles or so northeast of Terrace Bay. It's south of Geraldton if that helps.

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
We usually go the first or second week of June. At that time the Northerns are way in the back of the bays and tight to shore. They may move out to the weedlines by the time you are there. Water is clear and we catch the big females sunning themselves on sand or gravel bars in the bays. The bays on the main lake are small but hold fish. The big bay behind camp is good but gets pounded. South of camp are several of our favorite spots. Blue and crome Little Cleos out fish other larger spoons 3 to 1. #5 Mepps are good as well as Rapala jerk baits. Also fly rod if you see neutral fish.
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]

IC B2

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
The lake also has Walleye although we have had a hard time finding them the past couple years, lake trout and brook trout. Here are some more pictures.
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Well a buddy of mine and I portaged into a not so remote lake last year on my chain of lakes. In 6 hours of fishing, mainly trolling, we boated 20 northerns and 40 walleyes, with both of us using the same lure. I suggest you bring a couple of these with you.

[Linked Image]

The Rapala Rattlin' Rapala in Redfire Crawdad.

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Walt,
I am sure those would work at times, and I actually have tried similar ones, but on Long Lake I would throw a crome and blue rattling Rap. The bait fish in this lake are silver and blue/green and crome and blue just outfishes other colors. Size is right. We have trolled the lake for wlleye and lake trout with a little success but not much. The main lake is very deep 40' to over 400 feet so unless you find the walleye or lake trout suspended around 30 feet and up trolling won't work. Never picked up a Pike trolling but it may differ later in the year. The bays are just too small, shallow and weedy to troll.
Long Lake is very different from all the other Ont. and Minn. lakes I have fished.

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
I should have mentioned that the lake we portaged into was in NW Ontario and you're right, blue and chrome Rapala's in various configurations was all I used with good success for many years, but after trying it myself I have to say nothing will top a Rattlin' Rapala in Red Fire Crawdad as I pictured above. It certainly made a believer out of me. With mono they'll probably run around 6 to 10 feet down. Spool up with PowerPro and I'm guessing you could get them down around 25 feet while trolling or casting as long as you give them time to drop as they are a sinking Rapala.

U
OP Offline
U
Thank you for the responses. I appreciate the time taken especially the pictures. I'll pick up some blue/chrome Rattlin Raps and might try some of the red just cause it's a different color than anything Ive ever used. Little Cleo's always seem to be in my box so that is good and I enjoy throwing them, great action. I seem to remember a small spoon with beady red eyes built into the body of the spoon. No idea of the name but if I can find something like that think that would be worth a try ? Also, never have tried fishing very deep, usually just casting the shoreline and trolling. Any suggested baits or even websites to look at for how to's ? I'd love for my sons to have a chance at lake trout or bringing a walleye up from the deep. They have only ever jigged in the spring for walleye in maybe 12 ft of water, Lake Erie, so it will be very different for them.

IC B3

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
use2

The spoon you are thinking of is the redeye wiggler. I'd also bring a few flatfish, and of course some daredevle, red and white and 5 of diamonds for lakers.

To get down for the trout, consider a downrigger. I think Big Jon makes a small downrigger for < $100 that will get you down.

Good luck!

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
All good advice. A trolling sinker will work to get a spoon to the trout too. Terry can point you to the trout hole by the big sand bar. Troll it in the evening. If you want to go over a map PM me and we can set up a call where I can point out some spots. At least with the pictures you know there are some big ones. We released all those.

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

552 members (219 Wasp, 1234, 160user, 10Glocks, 1beaver_shooter, 1Akshooter, 59 invisible), 2,447 guests, and 1,205 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,192,459
Posts18,489,777
Members73,972
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.