Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4
Campfire Ranger
OP Online Happy
Campfire Ranger
There's a local bar that I frequent(walk to)that has a very diverse clientele. The subject of John Wayne came up and most all of the black folks that were there said that they didn't like the Duke because he was racist.
I've never heard that before and ask why that they thought that and nobody could come up with a satisfactory answer.
I pointed out that he married and really liked Mexican women and they said that Mexicans and white folks were the same thing in their mind.
This went on for at least an hour and I got no answers except "He just was"...
Anyone else ever heard this? I really like that place because there's no telling what will happen. I had a young lady bring me here bra after she went to the Ladies room. I guess I gave her the vapors...

----------------------------------------
I'm a big fan of the courtesy flush.
GB1

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
He was less racist than the blacks you were dealing with.

The only thing any search turns up at all is a quote from a 1971 Playboy interview where Wayne, when asked about the civil rights crap going on, said he believed that whites should be in charge "until the blacks were educated to the point of responsibility".

Of course, that's the only quote out there and it is often used out of context, but hey, when have facts and whether or not the statement might have actually had merit meant anything to the racist blacks in this country?

Last edited by 4ager; 02/06/15.

Originally Posted by Mannlicher
America needs to understand that our troops are not 'disposable'. Each represents a family; Fathers, Mothers, Sons, Daughters, Cousins, Uncles, Aunts... Our Citizens are our most valuable treasure; we waste far too many.
C
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
C
Maybe not racist, just level headed.

Originally Posted by The Duke
On screen, John Wayne often played an All-American hero. But behind-the-scenes the actor had some shocking views on race relations. During a 1971 interview with Playboy, Wayne shared his thoughts that can only be summed up as...well, racist.

When asked about discrimination he said the following:

With a lot of blacks, there's quite a bit of resentment along with their dissent, and possibly rightfully so. But we can't all of a sudden get down on our knees and turn everything over to the leadership of the blacks. I believe in white supremacy until the blacks are educated to a point of responsibility. I don't believe in giving authority and positions of leadership and judgment to irresponsible people.
And here's what he had to say about promoting diversity in Hollywood:

I've directed two pictures and I gave the blacks their proper position. I had a black slave in The Alamo, and I had a correct number of blacks in The Green Berets. If it's supposed to be a black character, naturally I use a black actor. But I don't go so far as hunting for positions for them. I think the Hollywood studios are carrying their tokenism a little too far. There's no doubt that 10 percent of the population is black, or colored, or whatever they want to call themselves; they certainly aren't Caucasian. Anyway, I suppose there should be the same percentage of the colored race in films as in society. But it can't always be that way. There isn't necessarily going to be 10 percent of the grips or sound men who are black, because more than likely, 10 percent haven't trained themselves for that type of work.

E
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
E
They also considered LBJ to be the Great White Hope. Even though he was responsible for thousands of young black men dying in Vietnam it was Ok because he got them welfare.

The tree of liberty must be refreshed from time to time by the blood of patriots and tyrants.

If being stupid allows me to believe in Him, I'd wish to be a retard. Eisenhower and G Washington should be good company.
S
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
S
There is audio of him trashing the idea of hyphenated Americans ie "african Americans" etc. and that may be where the morons in the bar got their "facts".

Every movie I've seen him in as the main character, minorities were always treated fairly and as equals, that is, if they were good guys. Bad guys? Not so much!

“Some ideas are so stupid that only intellectuals believe them.”
― G. Orwell

"Why can't men kill big game with the same cartridges women and kids use?"
_Eileen Clarke

"Unjust authority confers no obligation of obedience."
- Alexander Hamilton

IC B2

byc Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Where's Leanwolf when we need him?

For me, I would say not racist!! Arness as well.

Proud to be a true Sandlapper!!

Go Nats!!!!

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Any one remember the black cook in The Cowboys? I think the kids called him. Mr. Nightlinger ? Also, Scatman Strothers, the stable owner in "The Shootist"

He was a lot less Racist than Sharpton or Obama!

"Allways speak the truth and you will never have to remember what you said before..." Sam Houston
Texans, "We say Grace, We Say Mam, If You Don't Like it, We Don't Give a Damn!"

~Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla~
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Prob'ly based on this [true] story:

I think it was Jack Parr, but mighta been another late night host back in the days of live T V. He finally got the Duke to come on his show, which was a first for him. Quite a coup it was.

He steered the Duke around to talking about his safaris, and asked this question:

"Do you think you'll ever go back to Africa, John?"

"Naw, I doubt it, it ain't the same since they gave it back to the n******."

I don't know if they didn't have the 5 second delay, or if the guy at the switch failed to catch it, but it was broadcast.

I heard the story as an explanation as to why you never saw John Wayne on a talk show.

Never holler whoa or look back in a tight place
R
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
R
sometimes the truth hurts

My diploma is a DD214
H
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
H
Whether he was, or wasn't "racist", is of no relevance. The world was a different place back then, and different views (as compared to today), were the norm. Marion Morrison (AKA John Wayne) was born in 1907, and, like my father about 20 years later, was brought up differently than we are today.

While it's true that all liberals are crazy people, not all crazy people are liberals.
IC B3

Campfire Kahuna
Online Content
Campfire Kahuna
Well his views are mentioned in the song Fight The Power by Public Enemy. Duh!!!

B
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
B
Originally Posted by curdog4570
Prob'ly based on this [true] story:

I think it was Jack Parr, but mighta been another late night host back in the days of live T V. He finally got the Duke to come on his show, which was a first for him. Quite a coup it was.

He steered the Duke around to talking about his safaris, and asked this question:

"Do you think you'll ever go back to Africa, John?"

"Naw, I doubt it, it ain't the same since they gave it back to the n******."

I don't know if they didn't have the 5 second delay, or if the guy at the switch failed to catch it, but it was broadcast.

I heard the story as an explanation as to why you never saw John Wayne on a talk show.

I have not found a link, so far, to your story and strongly doubt that it is true.

Here is more of the excerpt from his Playboy interview in 1971 where he was talking about the current Civil Rights movement going on in America:

I believe in white supremacy until blacks are educated to a point of responsibility. I don't believe in giving authority and positions of leadership and judgment to irresponsible people.... The academic community has developed certain tests that determine whether the blacks are sufficiently equipped scholastically.... I don't feel guilty about the fact that five or ten generations ago these people were slaves. Now I'm not condoning slavery. It's just a fact of life, like the kid who gets infantile paralysis and can't play football like the rest of us.

And when asked about how blacks can address the inequities of the past:

By going to school. I don't know why people insist that blacks have been forbidden to go to school. They were allowed in public schools wherever I've been. I think any black man who can compete with a white can get a better break than a white man. I wish they'd tell me where in the world they have it better than right here in America

Leo of the Land of Dyr

NRA FOR LIFE

I MISS SARAH

“In Trump We Trust.” Right????

SOMEBODY please tell TRH that Netanyahu NEVER said "Once we squeeze all we can out of the United States, it can dry up and blow away."

Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by byc
Where's Leanwolf when we need him?

For me, I would say not racist!! Arness as well.

I did not know John Wayne, although I met him on a couple of occasions. I did know a number of people who knew him well, including one of his duck hunting partners and I never heard that he was a "racist." I have never heard of that alleged interview with Parr. If anyone could find a copy of it I'd like to see it.

I did know Jim Arness pretty well as I wrote several Gunsmoke scripts for him and worked on the McCahans at MGM when he did that show. I never heard one word whatsoever about Arness that would indicate he was "racist."

As far as blacks working "behind the camera," or as it's called in Hollywood, "below the line," the stage hand unions are incredibly strong in Hollywood, with a tremendous amount of nepotism involved in one becoming a member of the union. If a person does not "know" someone, or if a person is not a relative of a crew member, it is still very, very difficult to get into those unions. Blacks have managed to make some inroads, but that has come mainly because of affirmative action.

As far as a bunch of drinkers in a black bar labeling John Wayne as a "racist," when their minds are made up due to years of rumors and falsities, there is no way to change those minds so one might as well forget trying and just enjoy the booze and music. wink

L.W

"Always go straight forward, and if you meet the devil, cut him in two and go between the pieces." (William Sturgis, clipper ship captain, 1830s.)
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Originally Posted by rem141r
sometimes the truth hurts

Do you have some facts, or are you just flapping your gums?

Son of a liberal: " What did you do in the War On Terror, Daddy?"

Liberal father: " I fought the Americans, along with all the other liberals."

MOLON LABE

Campfire Sage
Campfire Sage
Originally Posted by BrotherBart
There's a local bar that I frequent(walk to)that has a very diverse clientele. The subject of John Wayne came up and most all of the black folks that were there said that they didn't like the Duke because he was racist.
I've never heard that before and ask why that they thought that and nobody could come up with a satisfactory answer.
I pointed out that he married and really liked Mexican women and they said that Mexicans and white folks were the same thing in their mind.
This went on for at least an hour and I got no answers except "He just was"...
Anyone else ever heard this? I really like that place because there's no telling what will happen. I had a young lady bring me here bra after she went to the Ladies room. I guess I gave her the vapors...

Pretty certain any black American in 2015 would consider any white American from the 40's-60's "racist."

JW is no exception.

Travis

Originally Posted by Geno67
Trump being classless,tasteless and clueless as usual.
Originally Posted by Judman
Sorry, trump is a no tax payin pile of shiit.
Originally Posted by KSMITH
My young wife decided to play the field and had moved several dudes into my house
R
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
R
i am referring to some people not wanting to hear the truth because it doesn't fit their frame of mind. nothing more, nothing less. i have no idea if either one was racist or not.

My diploma is a DD214
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
There's a distinct difference in telling things like they are, and being a racist.

The real racists are the ones that can't tell that difference, and cry about it.

"Telling things the way they are"... is relevant to the times in which the comments are made. What wasn't considered racist even 10 years ago could get your basketball team taken away from you today.

Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla!
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by SBTCO

Every movie I've seen him in as the main character, minorities were always treated fairly and as equals, that is, if they were good guys.

Yep. A good example is his Apache buddy Sam Sharpnose(played by Native American Bruce Cabot) in "Big Jake".

"My message to my troops is if you see anybody carrying a gun on the streets of Milwaukee, we'll put them on the ground, take the gun away and then decide whether you have a right to carry it." - Milwaukee Police Chief Ed Flynn
A
add Offline
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
A
"It's getting to be ri-gawd-damn-diculous ... If you guys don't start thinking as men, we're going to have a lousy country... burrppp"

Cheers Duke !

Epstein didn't kill himself.

"Play Cinnamon Girl you Sonuvabitch!"

Biden didn't win the election.
Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by HilhamHawk
Whether he was, or wasn't "racist", is of no relevance. The world was a different place back then, and different views (as compared to today), were the norm. Marion Morrison (AKA John Wayne) was born in 1907, and, like my father about 20 years later, was brought up differently than we are today.

John Wayne was born in the county that also welcomed this guy http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/George_Washington_Carver

Mr. Carver lived in the local First Baptist Church and the Arcade Hotel in Winterset which was just 2 blocks from where Mr. and Mrs. Morrison gave birth to the man later known as John Wayne approximately 10 years later.

Times were different in Mr. Wayne's years on earth but he started them in a town that was pretty open to men of color.
kwg

http://johnwaynebirthplace.museum/museum.html

For liberals and anarchists, power and control is opium, selling envy is the fastest and easiest way to get it. TRR. American conservative. Never trust a white liberal. Malcom X Current NRA member.
Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

442 members (17CalFan, 1badf350, 10gaugeman, 12344mag, 1beaver_shooter, 007FJ, 53 invisible), 2,735 guests, and 1,269 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,193,971
Posts18,519,772
Members74,020
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.