Hop To
Page 7 of 14 1 2 5 6 7 8 9 13 14
J
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
J
Originally Posted by deflave
Originally Posted by Shodd

I agree, the Tikka T3 Super lite has a lot smoother action, a better trigger, and a better barrel. laugh

However the T3 super lite does weigh 8 oz more so if you piss before you hit the mountain you'll weigh the same. laugh

OK....Group Hug! grin

Shod

They are smooth. Until you put rounds in them.

Trigger? You're smoking bat schit.

If you're gonna drop coin on a quality push feed that comes close to low-weight, it should be on old Sako Foresters.

Travis

+1 on the Foresters. And a huge +1 for the Nosler 48 Patriot. All the Tikkas I've used over the past 15 years are smooth as silk, feeding cartridges and all.

It is irrelevant what you think. What matters is the TRUTH.
GB1

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
I'm with Bob here. I have no desire any more to fiddle with a fussy out-of-the-box rifle.

I like the looks of the Kimbers and I generally like their features, especially their weight, and their price. In fact when I built a 340 on a Rem 700 action I had a Sako extractor (I had had a Rem "thumb nail" extractor break on me) and a 3-position safety installed along with a tuned Timney trigger as it was to be an "Alaskan gun." It had a Brown Prec stock and Pach pad -- sort of Kimberesque for a heavy medium at 8.5lbs all up.

I have nothing against the Kimber rifles having never had one; it's a moot point for me as I'm a lefty but this CRF affectation is kind of lost on me. CRF is about as necessary in the "lower 48" as mammary glands on a boar. I won't argue about it as it's been beaten pretty well here and elsewhere. P-Fs have been used successfully everywhere including Africa. It's. It's not that I don't like CRF but neither do I dislike P-Fs.

It's just when it's held up to be a redeeming feature of a rifle and superior to the same with P-F that I wince.

Last edited by George_De_Vries_3rd; 02/07/15.
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by Brad
Originally Posted by BobinNH
I appreciate them but they are just tools... Not cause I love them, but because they are light. wink

The Kimber is a specialized tool, not a general purpose one.

There are likely better rifles for most hunting, but there are [/b]very few[b]for the Montana's niche.

And blued, wood-stocked rifles that weigh over 7.5lbs ain't one of them.

That I can agree with.

Campfire Sage
Campfire Sage
Originally Posted by George_De_Vries_3rd
I'm with Bob here. I have no desire any more to fiddle with a fussy out-of-the-box rifle.

I like the looks of the Kimbers and I generally like their features, especially their weight, and their price. In fact when I built a 340 on a Rem 700 action I had a Sako extractor (I had had a Rem "thumb nail" extractor break on me) and a 3-position safety installed along with a tuned Timney trigger as it was to be an "Alaskan gun." It had a Brown Prec stock and Pach pad -- sort of Kimberesque for a heavy medium at 8.5lbs all up.

I have nothing against the Kimber rifles having never had one; it's a moot point for me as I'm a lefty but this CRF affectation is kind of lost on me. CRF is about as necessary in the "lower 48" as mammary glands on a boar. I won't argue about it as it's been beaten pretty well here and elsewhere. P-Fs have been used successfully everywhere including Africa. It's. It's not that I don't like CRF but neither do I dislike P-Fs.

It's just when it's held up to be a redeeming feature of a rifle and superior to the same with P-F that I wince.

For a guy that doesn't like fiddling with rifles, you sure had a lot done to that 340... grin

As far as CRF, that's not even a factor for me. There still isn't anything that can touch a Kimber Montana. CRF or otherwise.

Travis

Originally Posted by Geno67
Trump being classless,tasteless and clueless as usual.
Originally Posted by Judman
Sorry, trump is a no tax payin pile of shiit.
Originally Posted by KSMITH
My young wife decided to play the field and had moved several dudes into my house
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Yea, that rifle is just one of the reasons I'm through fiddling. grin

IC B2

S
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
S
Originally Posted by JGRaider
Take a T3 Lite out of the box, mount a VX3, grab some factory ammo, and do the exact same thing with a Kimber. I'd lay money on which one will perform better.

I'd put a $500 bill on my Tikka 270 and 500 yd groups. smile

I'd put $1000 on anyone interested in seeing who will top the mountain first and I might even throw on a 20 lb pack just to make it fair. laugh

Shod

The 6.5 Swede, Before Gay Was Ok
Brad Offline OP
Campfire 'Bwana
OP Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
this CRF affectation is kind of lost on me

For me, a "real" rifle is CRF... I don't pretend that's rational, or that CRF is necessary. It's just my personal bias, pure and simple and I'm very clear on that.

Push Feed rifles are perfectly "adequate." grin

But no PF feeds as well a "right" CRF... problem is very few CRF's are "right!"

USRAC M70's can be pretty spotty.

A good Mauser chambered in 7x57, etc., can be flatly amazing.

Generally it's just easier for a mfg to make a PF than a CRF action.

After I contacted Kimber in the summer of 2004 and pointed out I thought their feedramp was too steep for good feeding, I was re-contacted and told I was indeed correct, and that by their calculation it was 10* too steep. The ramp was changed on CAD and the design change was slowly implemented after the remaining actions were used up (the old couldn't be re-machined).

If you have an older Kimber (the early 8400 WSM's or early 84M's) you can emery and polish the heck out of the feedramp and it will really help. The WSM's however, because of their case geometry, suffered far worse from the steep ramp than did the 84M's.

Current production Kimbers feed beautifully and I've yet to use any M700 that feeds as well! A 700 is good enough tho.

However, as good as the Kimbers are, nothing beats a pre-64 M70 chambered in a 270 or 30-06!

“Perfection is Achieved Not When There Is Nothing More to Add, But When There Is Nothing Left to Take Away” Antoine de Saint-Exupery
B
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
B
Originally Posted by deflave

For a guy that doesn't like fiddling with rifles, you sure had a lot done to that 340... grin

As far as CRF, that's not even a factor for me. There still isn't anything that can touch a Kimber Montana. CRF or otherwise.

Travis

Well I'm a fan smile

I don't like to fiddle but anymore but I am Polly Annish and have enough experience with them to believe they will shoot.

For me the attraction is simple. They are like a M70....safety in the same place, operation is the same,stocks intelligently designed and made of good materials.

I do like that it's sort of a CRF because I don't care for plunger ejectors, like a bit more extractor beef on the rim.It mounts a scope low and the stock fits good with a scope.

It's lighter than a M70,so provides a light weight alternative. I like a M70 trigger better but the Kimber trigger will do.

If they chambered it for nothing but a 7/08 it wouldn't bother me at all...the cartridge kills like a 270 and the Kimber is lighter to boot.

What I don't like is that set screw that controls firing pin protrusion but it seems to be not too big an issue. The short action is a meaningless feature to me,but that doesn't mean the 7/08 isn't a good package.

It isn't hard to like.

The 280 Remington is overbore.

The 7 Rem Mag is over bore.
S
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
S
A response to trigger comments from previous posters...

The Kimber trigger is the best factory trigger on the market today. I've played with every factory adjustable trigger currently on the market. The Kimber wins hands down.

With that being said, I'm still a fan of open triggers. The old Winchester design is still my favorite. Ruger's design isn't far behind if you know how to polish it up.

I enjoy handguns and I really like shotguns,...but I love rifles!
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
I'd take a 1-1.5 MOA Kimber over a .5-1 MOA Tikka Uberlanche any day.

IC B3

Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by shortactionsmoker
A response to trigger comments from previous posters...

The Kimber trigger is the best factory trigger on the market today. I've played with every factory adjustable trigger currently on the market. The Kimber wins hands down.

With that being said, I'm still a fan of open triggers. The old Winchester design is still my favorite. Ruger's design isn't far behind if you know how to polish it up.

Yessir! Anybody who claims the Tikka trigger is better than the Kimber trigger hasn't spent much, if any, time playing with both.

Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
Take a T3 Lite out of the box, mount a VX3, grab some factory ammo, and do the exact same thing with a Kimber. I'd lay money on which one will perform better.

I'd put $1000 on anyone interested in seeing who will top the mountain first and I might even throw on a 20 lb pack just to make it fair. laugh

Shod

Sweet! You're welcome any time! BTW, what does a $500 bill look like? wink

Kimber group

[Linked Image]

S
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
S

Shod

I think the proof is in the pudding not on the internet.

Shod

Last edited by Shodd; 02/07/15.

S
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
S
Originally Posted by Jordan Smith

Shod

Sweet! You're welcome any time! BTW, what does a $500 bill look like? wink

Kimber group

[Linked Image]

That group will beat my Tikka Jordan, my Tikka routinely will do 3" at 500 yds.

Is that a factory tube on your Montana?

If it is then Yes.....your on. smile

Shod

Last edited by Shodd; 02/07/15.

Campfire Sage
Campfire Sage

Shod

Let me guess.

You've never owned a Kimber Montana?

Travis

My young wife decided to play the field and had moved several dudes into my house
Campfire Sage
Campfire Sage

Shod

I think the proof is in the pudding not on the internet.

Shod

Bit early to be talkin' to yourself.

Travis

Campfire Sage
Campfire Sage

There really has to be something in the water down there.

Travis

S
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
S
Bit early to be talkin' to yourself.

Travis [/quote]

Now hold on pard, I'm not just talking, I'll show up with cash in hand. laugh

I need a reason to get out to Montana anyways and yes Im pretty sure I'd have a sporting chance.

If I loose the $500 in the shooting competition I'll get it back during the climb the mountain test. grin

Shod

S
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
S
And.............I'm not even drinking......buy I'll do that with you fellas when I get there. laugh

Shod smile

D
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
D

I've had only one rifle that I couldn't find one thing to tweak or improve. That was my Ed Brown Damara.

My Kimber shot great after fitting a new barrel.

Regarding Tikka, I could post the Fire link of JG's Safari. Check it out.

Each of us has his own experiences which don't negate those of other Fire contributors.

They are what they are...

DF

Page 7 of 14 1 2 5 6 7 8 9 13 14

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

245 members (12344mag, 2500HD, 160user, 10gaugemag, 1lessdog, 222Sako, 21 invisible), 1,711 guests, and 1,035 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,192,122
Posts18,483,677
Members73,966
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.