Hop To
Page 3 of 5 1 2 3 4 5
K
Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member
K
Looks like I kicked a hornets' nest.

I'm in the market for a Hilleberg Nallo 3GT. Thanks for the advice on the tipi tents though.

Thanks!

GB1

KC Offline
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Ed:

Come on. Let's quit this. Read what I wrote. I told him that he needed two tents.

Start with the $300 tent and see where things go from there.

But he should start with something like this
[Linked Image]
REI Quarter Dome T-2

Not this
[Linked Image]
Seek Outside BT-2 (from the Seek Outside web page)

Yeah the BT-2 costs $229 but it's not much good without a stove and that's another $375. So you're actually looking at $600 plus a half nest, which is what is depicted in this photo. Pretty crowded for two people.

You wrote let's agree to disagree. OK I agree. Let's stop this bickering.

KC

Wind in my hair, Sun on my face, I gazed at the wide open spaces, And I was at home.

Campfire Sage
Campfire Sage
Originally Posted by kscowboy01

I'm in the market for a Hilleberg Nallo 3GT. Thanks for the advice on the tipi tents though.

Thanks!

There's one in the classifieds right now dude.

https://www.24hourcampfire.com/ubbthreads/ubbthreads.php/topics/9578645/FS-_Hilleberg_Nallo_3_(_Green)#Post9578645

Originally Posted by Geno67
Trump being classless,tasteless and clueless as usual.
Originally Posted by Judman
Sorry, trump is a no tax payin pile of shiit.
Originally Posted by KSMITH
My young wife decided to play the field and had moved several dudes into my house
N
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
N

Thanks!

Hello, if you seen the Nallo 3GT in person go for it as it is a Great Tent. However,if not measure out its length somewhere as it has a looong Footprint.

I love my Hillebergs despite how heavy they are and big they pack.

S
Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
S
Originally Posted by MontanaMarine
I think there's room for both types of tents as they each have their own strengths.

Exactly. Everything is a trade-off; everyone just needs to pick the style that has the features most important to him/her.

Most of my hunts here in CO are September backpack hunts so I very rarely carry a stove, I just can't justify the extra weight. Although with the way things are shaping up with stoves these days, that weight can be pretty low. But in September, a stove is rarely needed.

I've gone to floorless pyramid tarp-tents with a single center pole for my hunting trips like the old mega-mid and SL-5. We rarely get wet heavy snow in September, I can pitch in the trees out of the wind, bugs are not a problem and I don't need a floor or a tent designed to stand up to snow loads or heavy winds. I want the lightest weight possible to cover two hunters and their gear and that style tent provides it.

I wouldn't presume to tell someone else what he needs, I always figure that most guys can figure that out for themselves, based on what's most important to them.

A wise man is frequently humbled.

IC B2

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
I think there is a place for 4 season tents like a Hilleberg which is why I own one (Jannu). That said if I think I can get away with it I prefer a floorless tipi much like PGSalton does.

Often I for go the stove, but when wood is around and the temps dictate then I bring a stove along as well. But for most of the May-August outings I use a tipi without a woodstove.

Time and a place for both, but I do enjoy the space and warmth of a tipi with a stove.

Just often even at 3k+ feet in Alaska there isn't enough willows/alder to make bringing a stove a viable option. In the Brooks most of the willow alder was really just along the river bottoms. Certainly isn't enough to consistently burn stuff at 4k'. I have no doubt there are pockets of small dwarf birch and the like, but I certainly wouldn't bank on it.

One you try a stove and tipi its hard to go back.

KC, why do you think someone should start with a $250 REI tent over something like a BT2?

I wish I would have skipped passed and saved my money and not bottom a few of the 3 season 4-5 pound backpacking tents I purchased when figuring out what worked for me.

I think Ed's advice is pretty sound certainly.

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by deflave
Originally Posted by KC

Specially when the stove gets going because the ground thaws and you get to sleep in the mud.

I can't say I have experienced this.

The stove dries schit out quick. Real quick.

Travis

Me either!!!

KC Offline
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by smokepole
Originally Posted by MontanaMarine
I think there's room for both types of tents as they each have their own strengths.

Exactly. Everything is a trade-off; everyone just needs to pick the style that has the features most important to him/her.

Montana Marine:

I agree. I own both types of tents and choose the one best suited for the situation. I use double-wall tents ten times more than single wall tents.

Smoke:

You're always the peace maker. Thanks.

KC

Wind in my hair, Sun on my face, I gazed at the wide open spaces, And I was at home.

E
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
E
Originally Posted by KC
Ed:

Come on. Let's quit this. Read what I wrote. I told him that he needed two tents.

Start with the $300 tent and see where things go from there.

But he should start with something like this
[Linked Image]
REI Quarter Dome T-2

Not this
[Linked Image]
Seek Outside BT-2 (from the Seek Outside web page)

Yeah the BT-2 costs $229 but it's not much good without a stove and that's another $375. So you're actually looking at $600 plus a half nest, which is what is depicted in this photo. Pretty crowded for two people.

You wrote let's agree to disagree. OK I agree. Let's stop this bickering.

KC

KC,

Just get your facts straight. The BT2 works just as good as the tent you pictured for summer trips. The stove is optional just like a propane heater would be for one of your tents. And there isn't even a liner option for the BT2, a nest, yes but not a liner. I don't have liners for any of my tipis. For me they are added and unnecessary weight.

Your experience with mountaineering tents in a wide variety of conditions is a valuable contribution to the message board, but doing a gear critique without having used it isn't.

Ed T

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
KC,

With all due respect, and I do respect you and your opinion as you've always been square with me, the REI Qd2 is what I had until recently and I got rid of it when I got the SeekOutside LBO and vestibule with a stove.

I froze my ass off in the Qd2 several times over and in several different states. I've been nice and toasty warm in a tipi with a stove.

I've never run the Hille tents, nor been to AK, and I certainly don't have anywhere near the experience of several people posting on this thread. I do know that the Qd2 was not right for me, at least not where I was going, and the tipi/stove has worked better. Now, AK or seriously above tree-line? No idea, but I can see how the Hille (especially with their reputations) would be a much better bet.

Originally Posted by Mannlicher
America needs to understand that our troops are not 'disposable'. Each represents a family; Fathers, Mothers, Sons, Daughters, Cousins, Uncles, Aunts... Our Citizens are our most valuable treasure; we waste far too many.
IC B3

Campfire Sage
Campfire Sage

Thanks!

https://www.24hourcampfire.com/ubbthreads/ubbthreads.php/topics/9578645/FS-_Hilleberg_Nallo_3_(_Green)#Post9578645

It just got bumped.

You better stop fuggin' off.

Travis

My young wife decided to play the field and had moved several dudes into my house
K
Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member
K

Thanks!

It just got bumped.

You better stop fuggin' off.

Travis

Appreciate it and we've had dialog. It's not a GT. Thanks for keeping me in mind. That was a nice gesture.

KC Offline
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by alaska_lanche

KC, why do you think someone should start with a $250 REI tent over something like a BT2?

Alaska lance:

You ask a reasonable question. Here's a reasonable answer. There are several reasons why I prefer double-wall tents over single wall tepees.

1. I don't like moisture condensing on the walls with nothing to keep it off on me and my gear. Sure you can raise the walls above the ground and improve ventilation, but that only works when it's warm enough to allow that.

2. I don't like rolling around in the dirt, mud, leaves, wet grass, snow, frozen ground and getting my sleeping bag filthy. Yeah, you can carry a ground tarp but that adds weight that partially defeats the purpose of carrying a lightweight tent.

3. I think operating the small stoves with lots of small pieces of wood is a PITA that I don't want to mess with.

4. I don't like placing a stove or stove pipes that are covered in soot into my pack.

5. I think prices for the single-wall syl-nylon teepees are obscene. My single-wall teepee cost a lot less than those high $$$ tents.

6. I don't like fighting insects inside my tent.

7. I prefer free-standing tents in most situations.

8. I prefer a streamlined dome style tent to shed the wind rather than a tent that sticks up into the wind 5' or 6' or more.

9. I think that someone new to the sport should start with something simple and inexpensive like a 3-season dome tent.

I use double wall tents ten times more than I use my single wall teepee. I do use a single wall teepee when it's appropriate to the situation. You can't see it very well but there's a Go Lite SL-5 with a small stove in the background of this photo.

[Linked Image]

BTW I've shelved the REI QD T-2 for a Copper Spur because the Big Agnes tent weighs less. I was just using that tent as an example.

I just re-read my reasons. There are a lot of "I don't like" and "I prefer" in my reasons. So I guess in the final analysis it comes down to personal preference.

BTW there's now another thread on this forum regarding a Sierra Designs Mountain Guide Tarp with a LiteOutdoors Titanium stove. sollybug gives a good review.

KC

Campfire Sage
Campfire Sage
Appreciate it and we've had dialog. It's not a GT. Thanks for keeping me in mind. That was a nice gesture.

Fugg.

That sucks. You're welcome.

Dave

E
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
E
One thing that hasn't been mentioned, is buying US made products. Tipis form
Seek Outside, Kifaru, Wyoming Lost & Found, Ti-Goat are all made in the US, as are some of the mids from HMG, Gossemer Gear, Z-Packs & Bear Paw.
Not made in China or Vietnam like most of the mainstream companies.

Ed T

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
i can do a 5 man and stove full rig for 750.00

that is with camo options too.

mercy triumphs over judgement
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Hello,

I am looking for a mountain hunting tent for backpacking. I plan to use it here in CO for pack-in fishing as well as elk, mule deer, and knock-on-wood, sheep hunts (I apply all over).

I am wanting a 2 man tent with a vestibule. I am thinking I might do a DIY caribou in AK sometime in the future.

I am open to any suggestions you all might have on here. I am also open to REI, as I have a dividend to burn.

Thanks!

Lots of good advice here.

Looking for a 2-person Mountain Tent for what you describe, I'd get the HP (High Performance) version of the MSR Hubba Hubba. I have two of the Hubba HP's (1 man version), and it's my favorite alpine hunting/backpacking tent.

These are not available in North America, and I got mine here... good people to deal with:

http://www.adventure-spec.com/default/msr-hubba-hubba-hp.html

http://www.cascadedesigns.com/fr/msr/tents/experience-series/hubba-hubba-hp/product

It'll set you back $550 US but will be lighter and more storm worthy (the EU versions have better coatings than the USA models) than many costing more.

You can also get Carbon Fiber poles from Fibraplex to further reduce the overall weight.

http://www.fibraplex.com/tentpoles.htm

My Hubba HP with Tyvek Footprint and Fibraplex poles weights 2lbs 12oz's ready to go.

The Hubba Hubba HP can be configured to come in under 4lbs all-in.

I far and away prefer a side-entry, double door, double vestibule tent to any other style 2 man tent by a WIDE margin.

Personally I'd not carry the weight of a Hilleberg, and also believe they're a bit overrated for their expense. In that weight level I'd definitely be carrying a tepee/stove combo.

Those little suckers make a lot of sense. But no one tent does it all. But for me, The Hubba HP comes close.

“Perfection is Achieved Not When There Is Nothing More to Add, But When There Is Nothing Left to Take Away” Antoine de Saint-Exupery
S
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
S
Looks like very sound advice, however, try to spend some nights in very foul weather, especially 50+ mph winds, alone, and see WHY so many are so high on Hilles.

A week long trip in the Kootenays of BC, spring, 2004, had me in my old Northface dome for a night of actual fear due to very severe, constant winds. Obviously, I had this tent guyed every possible way and survived in one gimpy old piece, but, it was not "fun".

I gave the tent to a nephew for summer fishing use and went to Integral Designs tents, the real Canadian ones, not that chinamen crap made now.

These, however, while outstanding in horrible weather, are VERY small and too confining for longer stays. So, in time, I found, saved and lusted for and finally bought my Hille. Saivo and NOTHING I have EVER used equals this in shidtty weather....of which, we have our share here in BC.

So, IF you ARE going to camp in rough conditions, then, the Hilles. are worth the high cost, IMHO; if not, there are lots of less costly and lighter alternatives.

At my age, I just use my Hille. and if I must, "siwash" in an ID eVent bivy and Siltarp for a night, works for me.

C
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
C
Brad,
Are you able to keep packs in the vestibules of the HHHP?

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
go ahead and get 200 bucks worth of good fabric, sew a well made stove jack into it, get it all to line up so the pitch works out and with no blemishes..... hrs. of work... not chinese labor either like your cheap tents... and then we can ask why the tipi costs so much... i could make a tunnel tent in half the time as it takes to make an 8 or 10 panel tipi and with a lot fewer tricks

mercy triumphs over judgement
Page 3 of 5 1 2 3 4 5

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

638 members (007FJ, 1minute, 1936M71, 160user, 10gaugemag, 1234, 64 invisible), 2,849 guests, and 1,285 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,371
Posts18,469,186
Members73,931
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.